• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

I'd say no thanks. Rather get as high a pick, or 2, as possible and roll the dice. Clowney's had some impressive games.
But his career hasn't been "all that", has it?

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

What would you guys think of a straight up swap of Clowney and TW? Clowney is a beast, but a) do we really need help at DE/LB and b) whose playing time is he going to usurp?

My concern? The Texans feel we have to sweeten the deal with players or picks. Afterall, Clowney is only 26 and he was the first pick in the 2014 draft. I hope we don't bite at something like that. It's about time we took advantage of someone else's need for a change :)

I'd say no thanks. Rather get as high a pick, or 2, as possible and roll the dice. Clowney's had some impressive games.
But his career hasn't been "all that", has it?

He is a tackling machine, is getting to the QB 2-3 times a game and averages about 9 sacks and several forced fumbles a year. Our pass rush would be something to fear with him. He has only played one full season (calling Bulldog, calling Bulldog...) so that would be a minor concern. I would rather find a team that's willing to give us their starting left tackle in a swap along with a player or picks.

He is a tackling machine, is getting to the QB 2-3 times a game and averages about 9 sacks and several forced fumbles a year. Our pass rush would be something to fear with him. He has only played one full season (calling Bulldog, calling Bulldog...) so that would be a minor concern. I would rather find a team that's willing to give us their starting left tackle in a swap along with a player or picks.

And yet Houston is willing to get rid of him?

If it's straight up Trent for Clown then hell yeah we should do that. Think of Ryan, Clowney and Sweat all in on 3rd and long, our defense would feast on qb's like a pack of wolves.

If that can't happen we go with the next best deal, which should be a 1st rounder or equivalent to a 1st.

Last edited:

So why does Houston not want him?

Would it be a headcase for headcase trade?
One greedy malcontent for another?

Why?

Fun to fantasize..and yea we want parity or better. That said:

1. Gotta think about downstream cap management....unless we're thinking a rental player for a year or two.

2. We haven't seen much from Sweat yet- yup, I know he was nicked and hasn't played much. Point being we don't know yet where one of our first round picks sits. If he turns out to be great....you don't want to sit him on the bench more than his on-field value merits due to a rotation.

3. What's the optimization function here? Best player regardless of position? Best replacement at same position (LT in this case)? Best plus-up to the offensive line? Best plus-up to the secondray or LBs? More position targeted such as best TE offered? Increased high end draft picks next year?

The primary problem is that if a team is trading for our LT what does that say about their current LT were it a straight up exchange?

I''d shoot for nothing less than a number two to replace the one traded last draft and perhaps a quality ST player or o-line depth.

Very good article. Have a look.

Fun to fantasize..and yea we want parity or better. That said:

1. Gotta think about downstream cap management....unless we're thinking a rental player for a year or two.

2. We haven't seen much from Sweat yet- yup, I know he was nicked and hasn't played much. Point being we don't know yet where one of our first round picks sits. If he turns out to be great....you don't want to sit him on the bench more than his on-field value merits due to a rotation.

3. What's the optimization function here? Best player regardless of position? Best replacement at same position (LT in this case)? Best plus-up to the offensive line? Best plus-up to the secondray or LBs? More position targeted such as best TE offered? Increased high end draft picks next year?

The primary problem is that if a team is trading for our LT what does that say about their current LT were it a straight up exchange?

I''d shoot for nothing less than a number two to replace the one traded last draft and perhaps a quality ST player or o-line depth.

We've reportedly (and I believe the report) already turned down the Pats 2020 1st rounder. That lets you know how much the team values Trent and it's a good sign that if we do trade him, we're going to get significant value.

I don't think you can look at a player swap and conclude that 'there must be something wrong with the guy if they want to trade him'. It's about perceived team need and assessment of talent (which can vary). I mean - was there something wrong with Portis when Denver let him go?

I have no opinion on Clowney, other than that we are already pretty solid there and I'd prefer we shore up a weaker area if we're going player for player swap (OL, WR?)...

Twitter rumors crazy out there. 10 teams have inquired about Clowney (reportedly), Stephon Diggs to Skins has some heat. Latest is Tunsil (1st round OT from Miami).

My fantasy deal - 3 team trade - Skins get Tunsil, Trent goes to Houston, Houston sends Clowney to Miami.

Make it happen.

Little voice inside my head instead bracing for return of Josh LeRibeus and a 7th round pick

That little voice in your head actually makes some sense here.

Ok, need to go and wash my hands.

Here is my latest roster prediction this afternoon. I'll post the list here. If you click on the link, it will give you some explanations. But please click on the link even if you don't want to go through all three pages - it's good for business. :fat:

We've reportedly (and I believe the report) already turned down the Pats 2020 1st rounder. That lets you know how much the team values Trent and it's a good sign that if we do trade him, we're going to get significant value.

I don't think you can look at a player swap and conclude that 'there must be something wrong with the guy if they want to trade him'. It's about perceived team need and assessment of talent (which can vary). I mean - was there something wrong with Portis when Denver let him go?

I have no opinion on Clowney, other than that we are already pretty solid there and I'd prefer we shore up a weaker area if we're going player for player swap (OL, WR?)...

Not exactly what I posted. The specific context was LT for LT. And yes, it would be worse for better. Otherwise, we are in agreement - value for value.

Btw..three ways have appeal in many contexts! :) Unless one is married it goes without saying (I just said).

I only see Trent having high value to a team that believes a SB run/deep playoffs is in the near future. He's likely a short-term addition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not exactly what I posted. The specific context was LT for LT. And yes, it would be worse for better. Otherwise, we are in agreement - value for value.

Sorry - should've quoted him - that was directed at Brother Ax...

Sorry - should've quoted him - that was directed at Brother Ax...

I have a curt style Boone - but I have learned not to take posts personally. Part of the give and take brother. I will work harder to have a smoother style.

Eagles reportedly in the mix. Let's hope that doesn't happen. I'm not sold that's where the Redskins attention should be. We are positioned pretty well there. Much rather us go after a difference-making WR or OL help.

Certainly no surprise, but Gruden names Case Keenum his starter today.

Certainly no surprise, but Gruden names Case Keenum his starter today.

michael-corleone.jpg It's the smart move

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.