• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

Anyone know what it would take to get back into the 1st round? Would a 2nd and 3rd do it? Obviously if they think this is the guy, you grab him when you can. I was just curious about the possibility of getting into the late 1st round without giving up a 1st in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not following Kel - what do you mean by ‘get back into the first round'? Do you mean if we use the 15th pick on a non-QB?

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

I'm not following Kel - what do you mean by ‘get back into the first round'? Do you mean if we use the 15th pick on a non-QB?

Sounds kinda like he's talking about trading up from the 2nd like the move we made to get back into the 1st round to draft Aaron Rodgers, but got bamboozled by the Packers who we didn't think would draft a QB in the 1st round since they had Brett Favre so we were stuck with Jason Campbell.

Sounds kinda like he's talking about trading up from the 2nd like the move we made to get back into the 1st round to draft Aaron Rodgers, but got bamboozled by the Packers who we didn't think would draft a QB in the 1st round since they had Brett Favre so we were stuck with Jason Campbell.

Ugh. Best not to think about that particular chain of events...

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone in BGO land and guests from social media – we hope you become a member here.

The 2019 NFL draft is less than five weeks away and it will be here before you know it! Free agency has entered its second wave and we now have a few ideas about what the team needs in late April. The process of team building never ends and BBQ is about to take a look at what could happen this spring and summer.

Today we feature a mock that has two trades. BBQ believes that the Redskins will seek to make such moves several times next month.

Will BBQ match or surpass the success that it had with the 2018 mocks? It will be difficult and very challenging, but it is a task that we embrace. With that kind of success, we truly believe it helps the members of BGO to focus on the players who are prospects that the Redskins are seeking. It feels good to provide everyone here with the kind of service you expect from BBQ.

Upcoming Dates:
- Days until the NFL Draft: 34
- Days until the first NFL preseason game: 132
- Days until the 2019 Regular Season Opener: 167

Without any further delays, let's take our latest look at the 2019 draft with this mock.

Round One: Trade
The Redskins trade down in round one and gain a second and fourth rounder.

Round One: Brian Burns, OLB, Florida St.
Brian Burns has been steadily climbing the charts since the end of the 2018 season. Excellent burst off the edge – often leaving left tackles and guards behind. Able to use his hands effectively when pushing aside offensive linemen. Has an array of explosive moves to the quarterback and often forces running backs back to the inside. Collapses pockets regularly. His motor never stops. Quickly notices what the offensive play is designed to do and immediately disrupts it. Ability to play with a hand in the dirt or standing up, thus making Burns able to compete in 3-4 and 4-3 packages.

Other Possible Picks:
Cody Ford, G/OT, Oklahoma
Drew Lock, QB, Missouri
T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
Clelin Ferrell, OLB, Clemson
D.K. Metcalf, WR, Mississippi
Jachai Polite, Edge/OLB, Florida
Montez Sweat, Edge/OLB, Mississippi St.
Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio St.
Noah Fant, TE, Iowa
Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma

Round Two: A.J. Brown, WR, Mississippi
The Redskins need playmakers on offense, especially wide receiver. A.J. Brown is one of the best in the 2019 draft and he would have an immediate and positive effect on the receiving corps. Decent separation from corners and safeties. Effective on all routes. Strong hands. Significantly improved on his drop rate from the previous season. Very smart after the catch and can gain extra yardage. Will actually improve at the next level as the offense at Ole Miss limited a very talented wide receiving corps.

Other Possible Picks:
Nasir Adderly, FS/SS, Delaware
Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina
Kelvin Harmon, WR, North Carolina St.
Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio St.
Will Grier, QB, West Virginia
Chris Lindstrom, OG, Boston College
Jachai Polite, Edge/OLB, Florida
Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma
Taylor Rapp, FS, Washington
J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford

Round Two: Armani Hooker, FS, Iowa
The Redskins find the perfect complement to Landon Collins. While Collins is a beyond the box strike/strong safety, Hooker is a strictly traditional free safety who has good speed, but lacks an initial quick burst to the ball. However, he makes up for it with superb football instincts. Prefers to play fifteen or twenty yards off the line of scrimmage, but could be a bit closer to the box with Collins present. Superb in the rushing defense when playing closer to the line. Defends fly routes effectively when in zone, single high, and prevent coverages.

Round Three: Trade
The Redskins make a trade on day two. They move down a few slots in round three and add a fifth round selection.

Round Three: Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M
Sternberger could start from day one, but probably needs to add ten to fifteen pounds of bulk and muscle to his long frame. He is an absolute monster after the catch and can drag a defender (sometimes two defenders) twenty or thirty yards with ease. He has a solid receiving skillset and is not afraid to go over the middle. Fantastic red zone target. Routinely goes up high for jump ball catches. Typically wins any contested catch. Very good blocker, but still some room for improvement.

Other Possible Picks:
Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia
Caleb Wilson, TE, UCLA
D'Andre Walker, OLB, Georgia
Andy Isabella, WR, Massachusetts
Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple
Ryan Finley, QB, North Carolina St.
Deionte Thompson, FS, Alabama
Jaylon Ferguson, OLB, Louisiana Tech
Connor McGovern, OC/OG, Penn St.
Michael Deiter, OG, Wisconsin

Round Three (Comp Pick): Brett Rypien, QB, Boise St.
Rypien is probably the most pro-ready player in this draft, but there is still room to grow and learn. Quick release makes him difficult to sack. Solid mechanics. Decent accuracy. Superb pocket passer and solid pocket awareness. Able to go through his progressions quickly, effectively, and cleanly. Good mobility and can extend plays as needed. Hits receivers in stride, thus allowing for extra yards after the catch. Needs to learn how to deal with pressure and should add about ten to fifteen pounds of bulk to his frame.

Round Four: Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama St.
Howard is a talented, but somewhat raw prospect at the tackle position. He is not a long term starter, but is better suited to being a backup swing tackle in the future. He will need some extra time to adjust to the league, but he could be called upon later in the season for spot duty. Excellent size. A younger version of Ty Nsekhe, but with a higher ceiling. Demonstrates good footwork and creates leverage, but only if he is established in his stance first. Howard will need to learn that speed rushers are much faster in the NFL and realize that weak FCS competition is many steps lower. With good coaching, Howard may carve out a career of ten years or more.

Possible Picks:
David Sills, WR, West Virginia
Jalen Jelks, OLB, Oregon
Elijah Holyfield, RB, Georgia
Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn
Isaac Nauta, TE, Georgia
Darrell Henderson, RB, Memphis
DaMarkus Lodge, WR, Mississippi
Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa St.
Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern

Round Five: Easton Stick, QB, North Dakota St.
Could the Redskins actually take two quarterbacks this early in the draft? Absolutely. Easton Stick has been steadily rising on draft boards for several months now. He's a winner and there have been a few whispers that Stick is a better prospect than another Bison product – Carson Wentz. That's likely a reach - comparisons aside, Stick can make all the throws accurately. He is also accurate on the run. Consistently goes through his progressions quickly. NDSU utilizes a pro-style system. Very good mechanics. Solid pocket passer, but can effectively scramble when needed.

Other Possible Picks:
Foster Moreau, TE, LSU
Christian Miller, OLB, Alabama
Jalen Hurd, WR, Baylor
Iman Marshall, CB, Southern California
Dexter Williams, RB, Notre Dame
Max Scharping, OT/OG, Northern Illinois
Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois
Carl Granderson, OLB, Wyoming
Austin Bryant, OLB, Clemson
Devine Ozigbo, RB, Nebraska
Juwan Johnson, WR, Penn St.
Corbin Kaufusi, DE, Brigham Young
Trace McSorley, QB, Penn St.

Round Five: Corbin Kaufusi, DE, Brigham Young
Kaufusi is a bit raw, but has a ton of potential. He stands 6'9” and weighs in at 285. He can add bulk to his frame and be a true defensive end or play edge. He's strong, powerful, deceptively quick, and would likely need a year to adjust to the NFL. Kaufusi has a 6'1” sister who can likely out-lift you with considerable ease – tallness and strength runs in the family. Matt Ioannidis was a fifth round selection. Can lightning strike twice?

Round Five (Comp Pick): Lester Cotton, OG, Alabama
Cotton is a sizable guard that is very strong and rarely makes crippling mistakes. Great presence on the inside. Average speed, but can pull effectively to either side when needed. Has played against quality competition in the SEC and held his own each season. He can have dominant streaks, but is mostly a solid guard who is better in the rushing offense and needs some work in pass protection.

Round Six (Comp Pick): Olamide Zaccheaus, WR, Virginia
How would you like a receiver who has running back skills and combines his talents to look like a Larry Centers and Chris Thompson type of player? Highly underrated. Lack of height will hurt him in the draft (5'8”, 200), but he has the speed and power to be a much more durable player than Thompson. He has been the leading receiver for Virginia over the years.

Other Possible Picks:
Chuma Edoga, OT, Southern Cal
Mecole Harman, WR, Georgia
Myles Gaskin, RB, Washington
Gardner Minshew, QB, Washington St.
Jonathan Ledbetter, DE, Georgia
Emanuel Hall, WR, Missouri
Garrett Brumfield, OG, Louisiana St.
Kingsley Keke, DE/DT, Texas A&M
Wes Hills, RB, Slippery Rock

Round Seven: Joe Dineen, ILB, Kansas
Joe Dineen is a tackling machine and is superb in both the rushing defense and pass coverage. However, he will need to make his marks on special teams early in his career. He is deceptively quick and rarely makes mistakes. If Dineen can find his niche as a special teamer and as a quality backup as a linebacker, then his career in the NFL could be a lengthy stay.

Other Possible Picks:
Jaylen Smith, WR, Louisville
Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
Bryce Love, RB, Stanford
Ului Lapuaho, OT, BYU
Olive Sagapolu, DT, Wisconsin
Nate Herbig, OG, Stanford
Keelan Doss, WR, California, Davis
Daylon Mack, DT, Texas A&M
Kendall Blanton, TE, Missouri
Eric Dungey, QB, Syracuse

Round Seven (Comp Pick): Ulysees Gilbert, ILB, Akron
If you're looking for a late round gem that is the model of consistency and with plenty of upside, then Ulysees Gilbert is a perfect selection here. At 6'1” 235, he has prototypical size for an inside linebacker. Gilbert has started since his sophomore year and contributed in every game as a true freshman in 2015. A tackling machine. Solid in coverage (averages several interceptions a year), solid in the rushing defense, solid in the pass rush. Superb athleticism allows him to excel in all three facets, including sacking the quarterback a few times each year. The only knock on him is the lack of quality D1 competition faced.

In Conclusion

The compensatory picks are now official. The Redskins comp picks are as follows: Rounds 3, 5, 6, and 7.

There is your latest mock today. Next week we will go to two mocks and the volume of mocks will increase as we get closer to the draft.

That my friend would be a draft I could get pretty excited about!

So with Trent on the other side of the hill, you don't take action to draft what many consider the best LT prospect in this draft?

You kill two birds with one stone: LG and Trent's eventual demise. Kind of like what Belichick did.

They just lost their starting LT to free agency. But guess what? They drafted Isaiah Wynn in the first round last year and now he'll step in.

But we'll draft a TE and still have a big hole at LG and no contingency plan for Trent Williams...because that's the Redskins way.

IMO, a TE will not change this team's fortunes as long as the left side of the line is suspect. When you're starting street free agents at LG, that's your bigger hole.

so they draft a guy that gets injured but it was a great move. We draft a guy that gets injured who could possibly be TW replacement but it's bad?

so they draft a guy that gets injured but it was a great move. We draft a guy that gets injured who could possibly be TW replacement but it's bad?

Geron Christian is not near the prospect that Wynn was coming out. Wynn was going to be a starter.

As we saw with Christian, he was nowhere near NFL material when he was on the field.

Sorry, I was in meetings all day out of town and didn't get a chance to respond. Basically what Elephant said, but without the horrible trip down bad memory lane. Basically what the Ravens did last year to get Lamar Jackson. Or what the Vikings did in 2014 to take Bridgewater. I looked both those trades up and saw what they each gave up.

The Ravens sent their 52nd, 125th picks and a 2019 second-round selection to Philadelphia in exchange for the 32nd and 132nd selections this year.

The Vikings sent them their second round pick (No. 40 overall) and fourth round pick (No. 108) in exchange for the rights to Bridgewater.

The idea would be one of the guys they really want at 15 is there, but it's not a QB. So they take him and then find a way to trade back into the first round like the Ravens or Vikings to get a guy like Grier who is rising. Obviously I'm trying to figure out how they get the best of both worlds in the draft.

He's an interesting guy to watch. On the smaller side at 6' 1", but he shows a lot of escapability and can throw on the run. The weird thing is, if you read draft profiles on him, he gets hammered not just for being inaccurate, but for being 'erratic' in his throws. I have no idea how you can criticize a kid with an 80+% completion rate as being 'inaccurate'. He throws a pretty ball and appears to really be able to get some velocity on it. I'm not sure he would fit into a Gruden offense. He looks like a Drew Brees-type QB to me. But he may be another potential hidden gem in this draft. Washington State runs the 'air raid' offense and Luke Falk had similar #'s to this guy (except more INTs). We have to remember that those kinds of offenses and the #'s they produce don't always signal impending NFL success. Remember that Colt Brennan had eye-popping college numbers and was a bust at the NFL level (although to be fair, I'm not sure he ever got a legitimate shot to develop).

I could overlook the 6'1" part of the equation, but if the coug's run a gimmick style offense then no thanks. No need for a younger Danny Waffle type on the team.
If Guice bounces back with AP on deck it would be criminal not to run the ball 25+ times a game. A strong D and run game that routinely produces 80 yard death marches will cover most qb's flaws.

A Grier or Rypien type would do just fine in this environment imho.

Well, based on the highlights I looked at - he can really throw the ball. He's not Danny Wuerffel. But I do think when a coach designs an offense that is almost entirely based on the passing game, you have to keep in mind that might not translate to those kinds of numbers at the NFL level. He may not even get drafted, but I'd definitely spend a 7th rounder on him even if we draft a QB. You never know...

I could overlook the 6'1" part of the equation, but if the coug's run a gimmick style offense then no thanks. No need for a younger Danny Waffle type on the team.
If Guice bounces back with AP on deck it would be criminal not to run the ball 25+ times a game. A strong D and run game that routinely produces 80 yard death marches will cover most qb's flaws.

A Grier or Rypien type would do just fine in this environment imho.

Question for the masses on Rypien...

Do you think there would be a consequence of carrying that name back into a Burgundy and Gold jersey?

Would the media, and we as fans, never draw comparisons between him and his Superbowl winning uncle?

Anywhere else he was drafted it wouldn't be an issue, but Washington would be the one place it would.

I have to admit there's something appealing to me about having his name on the back of a Washington QB shirt again, only because it conjures up memories of decades past when we were relevant as a team. And I know that's not fair on the dude, but I can't help kinda rooting for this pick.

And if I feel a little bit that way, then surely I can't be the only one? Can I?

If so, is this a fair environment to put the kid in?

I really don't think the family tie to the Redskins means or would impact anything. Rypien is an accurate passer who rarely makes mistakes. But the reason he won't be drafted before Round 5 is that he's athletically limited. He has a good arm but in terms of arm strength is only average. He isn't athletic and, in contrast to guys like Daniel Jones, is a liability when he is forced out of the pocket (he actually had - career rushing yards at Boise State). I think he'd be worth a flier in the later rounds if he falls. But I think he's facing an uphill battle getting an NFL gig and holding onto it.

Question for the masses on Rypien...

Do you think there would be a consequence of carrying that name back into a Burgundy and Gold jersey?

Would the media, and we as fans, never draw comparisons between him and his Superbowl winning uncle?

Anywhere else he was drafted it wouldn't be an issue, but Washington would be the one place it would.

I have to admit there's something appealing to me about having his name on the back of a Washington QB shirt again, only because it conjures up memories of decades past when we were relevant as a team. And I know that's not fair on the dude, but I can't help kinda rooting for this pick.

And if I feel a little bit that way, then surely I can't be the only one? Can I?

If so, is this a fair environment to put the kid in?

If we draft him, he would get a honeymoon period that would last a very short time.
Then he will be judged on his own merits.

There might be guys we'd start over Case Keenum, Rosen for sure, possibly a Haskins, Lock if they dropped to us, maybe even Daniel Jones. But beyond that, no way a 2nd tier guy like Rypien is a 1st year starter. So he'd have a long honeymoon period since he wouldn't see the field barring injury imho.

Speaking of which, has there been any more hubbub on Rosen to the skins?

I'm waffling from this guy to the next on who we should take at 15, today is no different. If by chance Greedy Williams is there I would hope we take him and start firing up the defense now.

Edit: Could very well be that FS that's eluded us for a minute or 2.

Last edited:

Clayton Thoreson is an interesting qb. Big guy who can run. Also impressed at the combine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.