• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

Um, no. DO NOT rely on bleached report for your draft analysis.

Yes, QBs rise and that is always a mistake. Heck, the Jags traded with the Redskins to select Blaine Gabbert at 10 and we selected Ryan Kerrigan.

Don't overthink this draft or any other draft. I spend hundreds of hours in the study of prospects and have a strong relationship with many pundits and draft experts. I don't take this lightly and the approach is honest, fair, and forthright.

That being said, those of us who are Redskins pundits and draft analysts rarely agree on everything and some of our disagreements are sharp. We make each other better by studying more and seeing what each other is saying.

I'm not asking anyone here to agree with a single thing I post. Just know that these mocks and free agency updates are not put together in one evening. It takes months and even then, it is not perfect. So yes, you can take my analyses and toss it in the trash or take the time to look further at what is being posted.

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

I appreciate your work BB. This is always one of my favorite threads of the year.

I'm just trying to put myself into the shoes of the FO. Go into the season with Colt and Smith and pray that one of them can stay healthy, or draft a QB and try to save jobs and fill seats?

I believe they'll go the latter route and try to draft their version of Baker Mayfield. I think Will Grier is the favorite at this moment.

That's fine. Brett Rypien likely has a much better career than Grier in the NFL.

On another note...

After a certain college basketball game, I will spend this evening looking at Nasir Adderley - a SS/FS for Delaware. I'm almost ready to add him to the prospects list in the second round.

Another approach the team could take would be to pass on the top QBs until next season. Run the risk of a 3-13 season and obtain a top 5 pick next year.

But following a season with a dramatic drop in ticket sales and a dramatic rise in fan anger, could Dan really stomach that?

I tend to believe that he caves in and goes for a QB.

That angle has been talked about, but nothing is certain. A couple of theories have centered on the team trading their first this year for a first next year and a second or third this year. This could allow the Skins to get the QB of their choice next year in what is shaping up to be a very good class. Not ruling it out, but it is only a theory/rumor.

Another player on the list of possible released candidates, that I would question, is Reed.

Reed was our best receiver on the team, in all of these :
Receptions
Yards
TD's
YAC
YPG

Not just our best TE, but best of all recievers, whether TE, RB, or WR.
He also had his 2nd best career season, health-wise, with 13 games played, only 1 game short of his record.
He also had his 3rd best career season, performance-wise.

If the Redskins are thinking of taking a quarterback with good mobility but limited arm strength in Round 1 they might as well just draft a skill talent at WR, CB or OLB and start McCoy in 2019 and hope for the best.

Quarterbacks can overcome a lot in the NFL these days from being too short, too slow of foot, etc but if you don't have an NFL arm it's a non starter.

I posted a video of Brett Rypien in another thread. Since he can be had in the mid rounds, and is Mark Rypien's nephew, it would make for an interesting pick.

One site recommended us drafting him in round 5. You can't tell me he would be a drop off to what we have now.
Here is a game that Boise lost pretty badly. Oklahoma St has a very good defense.
I was still impressed with Brett. Good footwork. Does not have a cannon though.

Have a look.

If the Redskins are thinking of taking a quarterback with good mobility but limited arm strength in Round 1 they might as well just draft a skill talent at WR, CB or OLB and start McCoy in 2019 and hope for the best.

Quarterbacks can overcome a lot in the NFL these days from being too short, too slow of foot, etc but if you don't have an NFL arm it's a non starter.

He's had 5 and 6 TD games this year against some of the top competition in the country.

Although not a rocket, it would still likely be the best arm we've had in 25 years.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAB6BAgLEAU&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

I'm currently at a restaurant. If that link doesn't work, Google pff will grier and watch that video.

Last edited:

BB, I'm curious to see if you re-rate the Skins' 2018 draft, after they've played one season, and see how their current grade compares to the grades given right after last year's draft.

".....Round One: Montez Sweat, Edge/OLB, Mississippi St.
Sweat is a massively sized edge and most pundits rank him as the third or fourth best OLB in a very loaded class of edge rushers. He is likely to have an immediate impact and an impressive rookie season. Sweat should add about ten pounds of bulk to his frame...."

Oh I like the sound of this guy lining up opposite side of Ryan. The odds of Bruce picking such a player are pretty damn slim.

@Burgundy Burner any chance we look into a trade for Antonio Brown, who appears to be bait by the Steelers ?

The Redskins do not possess the cap space required to trade for Brown.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Remember this next time you moan about your team taking a guard high in the 1st round. <a href="https://t.co/A0hNi6ZCik">https://t.co/A0hNi6ZCik</a></p>— Steve Czaban (@czabe) <a href="https://twitter.com/czabe/status/1081922923177410561?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 6, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I would look for an edge rusher in Round 1 as I have no interest in resigning Preston Smith. Four years of him is enough. Maddeningly inconsistent player who may play 16 games but only registers in 6 or 7.

I would then consider a qb starting in Round 2 depending on how the draft board shakes out.

First off, thanks BB, for all you have done. For all you are doing. And for all that you will.

Free Agents Obtained:
ArDarius Stewart, WR
Carlos Henderson, WR
Hope you're right about these guys chances. I have no idea. But we need more production from this unit.

Restricted Free Agents:
Byron Marshall, RB
Maurice Harris, WR
Rob Kelley, RB
I guess if we can tender them and maybe get something for them, it would work. Wouldn't lose any sleep if all 3 move along.
Pending Free Agents:
Ty Nsekhe, OT - Goodbye
Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, FS - Keep only with team friendly contract
Pernell McPhee, OLB - Unimpressive. Vet minimum....maybe.
Shawn Lauvao, OG Goodbye
Preston Smith, OLB Keep only with team friendly contract
Adrian Peterson, RB Try like hell to keep this guy.
Mark Sanchez, QBGoodbye
Josh Johnson, QB Goodbye
Austin Howard, OT Vet minimum, no cap hit for cutting.
Tony Bergstrom, OG/C Vet minimum, no cap hit for cutting.
Luke Bowanko, C/OG Vet minimum, no cap hit for cutting.
Michael Floyd, WR Vet minimum, no cap hit for cutting.
Jonathan Cooper, OG Vet minimum, no cap hit for cutting.
Jamison Crowder, WR Keep only with team friendly contract
Marquis Flowers, ILB Vet minimum, no cap hit for cutting.
Zach Kerin, OG Vet minimum, no cap hit for cutting.
Arie Kouandjio, OG Vet minimum, no cap hit for cutting.
ZachVigil, ILB Vet minimum, no cap hit for cutting.

Possible Release Candidates:
Alex Smith, QB I wouldn't. Unless he's actually done.
Josh Norman, CB If he won't restructure to a friendlier team contract...seeya!
Vernon Davis, TE Thanks for your service. We wish you well.
Stacy McGee, DT Buh-bye.
Jordan Reed, TE If he won't restructure to some injury protection for the team, trade/release.
Zach Brown, ILB Might have to part ways. He seems, disgruntled.
Samaje Perine, RB If you're not gonna play him, trade/cut him.
Colt McCoy, QB Not a chance. He's likely the only QB that will be ready to start the season, who knows the vaunted Gruden offense.
Troy Apke, FS Not a chance. Kid hasn't had a chance yet.

Re-structure Contract Candidates:
Alex Smith, QB Yes please.
Jordan Reed, TE
Josh Norman, CB
Vernon Davis, TE
Norman, restructured, is more valuable to the team than either TE. I only keep one of the TE's, at a team friendly cost.

2019 Dead Money Contracts:
DJ Swearinger ($1.33M)
Orlando Scandrick ($500K)
This is peanuts. Like to keep it there as much as possible.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Remember this next time you moan about your team taking a guard high in the 1st round. <a href="https://t.co/A0hNi6ZCik">https://t.co/A0hNi6ZCik</a></p>— Steve Czaban (@czabe) <a href="https://twitter.com/czabe/status/1081922923177410561?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 6, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I never understood those who made the assertion that you don't draft a guard that high.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.