• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

I'm hoping the Rosen trade happens early on, and that a couple prized players are available at 15.

And BTW, if I forget to say so later today, thanks so much, BB. You're a priceless asset.

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

FYI, this morning's mock is the last entry on the previous page for those who want to see it.

Ax (and everyone), the kind words are very much appreciated. The last few months have been so difficult and the emotional roller coaster still has my head spinning. The work here and at Riggo's Rag has helped to sustain me, but I couldn't have done it without the support of everyone. Thank you.

So rather than use the top pick to build around their franchise QB and really build something, the Cardinals are ready to dump that QB and start over?

Hard pass on Rosen. That's a tremendous red flag and vote of no confidence.

Good fits in a Jay Gruden system (no particular order):
Jones, Thorson, Rosen, Stidham, Haskins, Lock, Rypien, Finley, Stick

Poor fits in a Jay Gruden system:
Grier, Jackson, Murray

So rather than use the top pick to build around their franchise QB and really build something, the Cardinals are ready to dump that QB and start over?

Hard pass on Rosen. That's a tremendous red flag and vote of no confidence.
Maybe. Could just be that the new regime wants to pick their own guy.

I'm good standing pat with Colt, Case, and a 6th round project. Build up the Oline, TE, receiving core.
Then let the new head coach pick his own guy in next years draft.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone in BGO land and guests from social media – we hope you become a member here.

It's draft week and the countdown hits zero! The draft is here! Free agency has entered a dormant phase and should pick up again after May 7. We now have a few ideas about what the team needs following the draft. The process of team building never ends and BBQ will take a look at what could happen this spring and summer. Strap in tight – the ride is going to be exciting!

Today we bring you the second of two mocks today that feature trades. BBQ does believe that a trade could happen during the draft – perhaps several trades.

Will BBQ match or surpass the success that it had with the 2018 mocks? It will be difficult and very challenging, but it is a task that we embrace. With that kind of success, we truly believe it helps the members of BGO to focus on the players who are prospects that the Redskins are seeking. It feels good to provide everyone here with the kind of service you expect from BBQ.

Upcoming Dates:
- Days until the NFL Draft: Today
- Days until OTAs: 25
- Days until mandatory mini-camp: 42
- Days until the first NFL preseason game: 98
- Days until the 2019 Regular Season Opener: 133

Without any further delays, let's take our latest look at the 2019 draft with this mock.

Pre-Draft Trade
The Redskins trade a 2020 third round pick to the Arizona Cardinals for quarterback Josh Rosen.

Round One: Trade
The Redskins trade down in round one and receive second and sixth rounders.

Round One: Montez Sweat, Edge/OLB, Mississippi St., (Health Concern [Heart]?, Past Character Issues)
Sweat is a massively sized edge and most pundits rank him as the third or fourth best OLB in a very loaded class of edge rushers. He is likely to have an immediate impact and an impressive rookie season. Sweat dominated the NFL Combine and established himself as a top tier prospect. The only issue is his health – a heart condition. The Mississippi St. Bulldog is a likely starter from day one and will be a terror to opposing quarterbacks.

Other Possible Picks:
Cody Ford, G/OT, Oklahoma
Devin White, ILB, LSU
T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
D.K. Metcalf, WR, Mississippi
Clelin Ferrell, Edge/OLB, Clemson
Drew Lock, QB, Missouri
Brian Burns, OLB, Florida St.
Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio St.
Jonah Williams, OT/OG, Alabama
Noah Fant, TE, Iowa

Round Two: A.J. Brown, WR, Mississippi
The Redskins need playmakers on offense, especially wide receiver. A.J. Brown is one of the best in the 2019 draft and he would have an immediate and positive effect on the receiving corps. Decent separation from corners and safeties. Effective on all routes. Strong hands. Significantly improved on his drop rate from the previous season. Very smart after the catch and can gain extra yardage. Will actually improve at the next level as the offense at Ole Miss limited a very talented wide receiving corps.

Other Possible Picks:
Nasir Adderly, FS/SS, Delaware
Kelvin Harmon, WR, North Carolina St.
Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio St.
Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina
N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona St.
Jaylon Ferguson, OLB, Louisiana Tech
Will Grier, QB, West Virginia (Past Character Issues)
Chris Lindstrom, OG, Boston College
Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa St.
Taylor Rapp, FS, Washington
Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma
Jachai Polite, Edge/OLB, Florida, (Character Issues, Interviews Poorly)

Round Two: Chris Lindstrom, OG, Boston College
Lindstrom is an all-around solid guard and could be an effective starter on the left side for a decade or more. Fundamentally sound. Solid lead blocker on counter plays and sweeps/jet sweeps. Moves well in the open space and can lead effectively on screen passes. Very high football IQ. Exceptional in pass protection and the rushing offense. Solid blocker downfield on screens and short passes.

Round Three: Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M
Sternberger could start from day one and has added about fifteen pounds of bulk to his long frame – an off-season decision that will pay dividends for him. He is an absolute monster after the catch and can drag a defender (sometimes two defenders) twenty or thirty yards with ease. He has a solid receiving skillset and is not afraid to go over the middle. Fantastic red zone target. Routinely goes up high for jump ball catches. Typically wins any contested catch. Very good blocker, but still some room for improvement.

Other Possible Picks:
Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia
Caleb Wilson, TE, UCLA
Andy Isabella, WR, Massachusetts
Irv Smith, TE, Alabama
Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple
J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford
Armani Hooker, FS, Iowa
Kahale Warring, TE, San Diego St.
Ryan Finley, QB, North Carolina St.
Brett Rypien, QB, Boise St.
Deionte Thompson, FS, Alabama
Connor McGovern, OC/OG, Penn St.
Mack Wilson, ILB, Alabama (Character Issues)
Michael Deiter, OG, Wisconsin

Round Three (Comp Pick): DaMarkus Lodge, WR, Mississippi
DaMarkus Lodge receives far less attention than his fellow receivers at Ole Miss, but he is very talented and could offer excellent value at this juncture. Mississippi has a limited offense playbook and the receivers suffered to a certain degree. Lodge should be in the conversation for one of the better receivers in a very stacked class, but Ole Miss standouts A.J. Brown and D.K. Metcalf grab more attention from draft analysts. Solid receiver. Good speed. Great blocker. Excellent size. Easily creates separation. Legitimate red zone target. Able to gain extra yardage after a reception. Could have a better career than Metcalf and Brown.

Round Four:
The Redskins do not have a selection in round four, but we will list players that are possibilities. A trade may occur and a fourth rounder could be a part of that deal.

Possible Picks:
Jalen Jelks, OLB, Oregon
Dru Samia, OG, Oklahoma
Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama St.
Miles Boykin, WR, Notre Dame
Nate Davis, OG/OT, UNC-Charlotte
Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn
Oshane Ximines, OLB, Old Dominion
Hunter Renfrow, WR, Clemson
Isaac Nauta, TE, Georgia
Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern

Round Five: Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio St.
McLaurin is overrated by some talent evaluators and underrated by others. He has a limited body of work from his time as a Buckeye, but he could offer good value at this juncture of the draft. Solid route runner on the shorter patterns, but not a burner when the field is stretched. Compares to a younger Pierre Garcon, but will need some time to adjust at the next level. Very good blocking skills on longer runs and various passes downfield. He will likely never be a WR1, but could become a very good WR2.

Other Possible Picks:
Max Scharping, OT/OG, Northern Illinois
Iman Marshall, CB, Southern California
Christian Miller, OLB, Alabama
Maxx Crosby, Edge/OLB, Eastern Michigan
Foster Moreau, TE, LSU
Devine Ozigbo, RB, Nebraska
Stanley Morgan, WR, Nebraska
Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois
Terry Godwin, WR, Clemson
Lester Cotton, OG, Alabama
Corbin Kaufusi, DE/OLB, Brigham Young
Carl Granderson, OLB, Wyoming
Austin Bryant, OLB, Clemson
Juwan Johnson, WR, Penn St.
Trace McSorley, QB, Penn St.

Round Five (Comp Pick): Easton Stick, QB, North Dakota St.
Could the Redskins actually add two quarterbacks in the draft? Absolutely. Easton Stick has been steadily rising on draft boards for several months now. He's a winner and there have been a few whispers that Stick is a better prospect than another Bison product – Carson Wentz. That's likely a reach - comparisons aside, Stick can make all the throws accurately. He is also accurate on the run. Consistently goes through his progressions quickly. NDSU utilizes a pro-style system. Very good mechanics. Solid pocket passer, but can effectively scramble when needed – perhaps a bit too much.

Round Six: Saivion Smith, CB, Alabama
The Redskins head back to the Tuscaloosa supply line and add a late round cornerback. Smith is raw, but has plenty of potential. Will need to make his mark on special teams early in his career, but could be a starter in the slot within a year. Does not have blazing speed and likely will never transition beyond being in the slot. However, as a slot corner, Smith should be able to cover tight ends and running backs with varying degrees of success. Good against the rushing offense. Solid tackling skills.

Other Possible Picks:
Khalil Hodge, ILB, Buffalo
Chuma Edoga, OT, Southern Cal
Mecole Harman, WR, Georgia
Gardner Minshew, QB, Washington St.
David Sills, WR, West Virginia
Garrett Brumfield, OG, Louisiana St.
Tre Watson, ILB, Maryland
Kingsley Keke, DE/DT, Texas A&M
Shareef Miller, OLB, Penn St.

Round Six (Comp Pick): Blake Cashman, ILB, Minnesota
Cashman is a talented and highly underrated inside linebacker. He played in obscurity in the great white north and while the Golden Gophers are not followed closely in the football world, Cashman quietly made a name for himself against quality competition. A bona fide tackling machine. Always around the football and making plays. Solid against the run, but struggles somewhat in coverage. Good speed – can close on the ball quickly. Will need to make his mark initially as a special teams ace.

Round Seven: Joe Dineen, ILB, Kansas
Joe Dineen is a tackling machine and is superb in both the rushing defense and pass coverage. However, he will need to make his marks on special teams early in his career. He is deceptively quick and rarely makes mistakes. If Dineen can find his niche as a special teamer and as a quality backup as a linebacker, then his career in the NFL could be a lengthy stay.

Other Possible Picks:
Jaylen Smith, WR, Louisville
Ryan Pope, OT, San Diego St.
Ulysees Gilbert, ILB, Akron
Olamide Zaccheaus, WR, Virginia
Renell Wren, DT, Arizona St.
Sean Bunting, CB, Central Michigan
Sione Takitaki, ILB, Brigham Young
Jalen Hurd, WR, Baylor
Dakota Allen, ILB, Texas Tech
Nate Herbig, OG, Stanford
Keelan Doss, WR, California, Davis
Daylon Mack, DT, Texas A&M
Kendall Blanton, TE, Missouri
Eric Dungey, QB, Syracuse

Round Seven (Comp Pick): Ului Lapuaho, OT, BYU
It's no secret that Ty Nsekhe struggled this past season in backup duty and he has moved on to the Buffalo Bills anyway. Ului Lapuaho at 6'7”, 330 is similar in size to Nsekhe and would bring a youthful infusion to the tackles. Hailing from the state of Utah, the massive lineman has served his Mormon mission (Australia) and is likely ready to be a quality backup at the next level.

UDFA Prospects
Kevin Wilkins, DT, Rutgers
Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo
Nick Linder, OC/OG, Indiana
Chris Slayton, DT, Syracuse
Preston Williams, WR, Colorado St. (Character Issues)
Jimmy Moreland, CB, James Madison
Sterling Sheffield, OLB, Maine
Trevon Wesco, TE/FB, West Virginia
KaVontae Turpin, WR/KR, Texas Christian
Cole Herdman, TE, Purdue
Chris Peace, OLB, Virginia
Tyler Roemer, OT, San Diego St. (Character Issues)
Jack Fox, P, Rice
Olive Sagapolu, DT, Wisconsin

In Conclusion

The Redskins comp picks are as follows: Rounds 3, 5, 6, and 7. Comp picks can be traded.

There is our final full mock for 2019. We will have a round two through seven mock tomorrow and a round four through seven mock on Saturday.

That seems unlikely with Bruce and Dan around.
While far from perfect, I think Dan and Bruce are convenient scapegoats for everything that doesn't work.

Yet, when Ioaniddis re-signs, all you hear is how he was Gruden's choice. Who puts that out, Jay's agent?

While far from perfect, I think Dan and Bruce are convenient scapegoats for everything that doesn't work.

Yet, when Ioaniddis re-signs, all you hear is how he was Gruden's choice. Who puts that out, Jay's agent?

It's pretty easy to place blame at the top with a track record like Bruce and Dan's. I mean, Bruce's record here is worse than Vinny Cerrato's.

It's definitely a QB. It sounds like Haskins or Jones.

It's also Lying Season. Lying Season finally ends by late Saturday afternoon.

I am not one of those Bruce/Dan haters, but I think it's clear from any perspective, that they don't want the coach making the picks.

I am not one of those Bruce/Dan haters, but I think it's clear from any perspective, that they don't want the coach making the picks.

The fact of the matter is, most coaches don't make the picks. Especially the ones who haven't won jack shit.

GM's get everybody's input. But they're paid to make the ultimate choice.

And there ain't a GM in the league who can entertain moving up in the draft without the owners approval.

Past reputation will taint Snyder until the team wins, or until he is not owner anymore.

Only one thing is absolutely certain and I don't mean this in a bad way. Tickets have to be sold.

That guarantees either Rosen or a QB in the first round.

That's right - except for the rare instances where there is only HC/GM. True for other teams and not a word is said. True for the Redskins and it's the Apocalypse of Dysfunction. And it's not just reserved for Twitter - some of us here even engage in it. That's how 'beaten down' Skins fans are.

Maybe I'll feel differently if things continue to get worse, but if I were Snyder, I'd give Gruden another 5 years and move forward with no distractions.

As far as them basing their selection on ticket sales, I mean, that's a pretty cynical viewpoint. All owners want a stadium full of rabid, happy fans every Sunday, but the idea that they will only make a pick to 'make a splash' is pretty much calling them morons. I don't think either Snyder or Allen are morons. They're smart guys. They have made mistakes, but I really think they understand that the antidote to apathy, pissed off fans, and a half empty stadium is only one thing - winning. I believe Snyder does get that.f

But I'll also confess I'm done just wallowing in misery as a Skins fan. I think better days are ahead and I'm going to try like hell to embrace that outlook.

I really am leaning toward wanting a trade for Rosen.
Then trading down in the 1st to regain some of what Rosen costs.
Then just stick to BPA. Interior Dline, punter, and kicker are the only positions we're set at.
We could use a starter, or depth upgrade, at every other position.

If Guice, AP, and Thompson stay healthy, it'll be like, "Capri who"?

I'm definitely warming up to Jones, at #15 ONLY though. If he and or Lock are there we should pull the trigger. That's the only 2 qb's I'd consider in the 1st.

With that said my big board would look something like...

1. Lock
2. Jones
3. Hockenson
4. Burns
5. D. White

^ One of those guys has gotta be there at 15 and wearing maroon & black this summer

I'm on record and will state again that Haskins, to me, looks like Jason Campbell part deux. Also, if Sweat free falls due to whatever his heart condition is then we should snatch him up in the 2nd round.

As far as them basing their selection on ticket sales, I mean, that's a pretty cynical viewpoint. All owners want a stadium full of rabid, happy fans every Sunday, but the idea that they will only make a pick to 'make a splash' is pretty much calling them morons. I don't think either Snyder or Allen are morons. They're smart guys. They have made mistakes, but I really think they understand that the antidote to apathy, pissed off fans, and a half empty stadium is only one thing - winning. I believe Snyder does get that.f

I don't think it's cynical at all, Snyder has made splash moves hoping to steer attention from dwindling ticket sales for years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.