• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

I plan on doing it, unless the master wants to come back and take over the reigns again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werd. Both of you run a damn fine league so we're in good hands either way.

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

Been very busy of late. Time to post some Redskins stuff from this weekend and today.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone here at BGO. We hope you had a good weekend. Hello to everyone on social media. We'd love to have you as a member here and become part of the family.

OTAs, mini-camp, rookie camp, and the draft have passed into the history books. Training camp will be here in five weeks. We'll continue to cover it all and give everyone at BGO the best coverage possible.

BBQ begins our off-season evaluations and today we will take a look at the quarterbacks. Feel free to scroll back in this off-season blog and see what we have said about free agency, the draft, and take a look at what your fellow Redskins think of the team transactions over the last several months. After today, BBQ will take a look at each position and provide analysis over the next few weeks. Feel free to offer your own analysis as we go along.

Let's get right to it!

Quarterbacks:

Case Keenum
For now, BBQ is placing him as the starter due to his experience and success in the league. There will certainly be a competition in training camp and the preseason, but we could have some solid answers after two or three games in August. BBQ believes that the competition will be intense and has the potential to bring out the best in both quarterbacks. Assuming that Keenum is the opening day starter, how long will that last? It depends on two factors. First, Keenum will need to prove that he is the best option to lead the team to victories. Secondly, it all depends on the progress of Dwayne Haskins.

Dwayne Haskins
Haskins is the future, but how soon should he start? The season opener? Halfway into the season? The last two games? Does he sit the entire season? So much will depend on his grasp of the offense and a general feel for NFL defenses. If Keenum starts the season and is able to steer the team toward a possible division title or a serious playoff run, then Haskins could sit out all of 2019. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but he needs to be ready to take the reins in 2020. You don't sit a first round selection into his second season. Haskins will need to show that he is ready from day one, but it is more than likely that Keenum will start the season.

Others
In our first roster prediction recently, BBQ left Colt McCoy off the roster of fifty-three for several reasons. Jay Gruden typically prefers to keep two quarterbacks on the roster and he will probably make the same call this year. McCoy seemed to lose a step in 2018 and was woeful in the preseason and in his brief time during the regular season. He is injury prone and the Redskins need to have a reliably healthy option moving forward.

Josh Woodrum is simply a camp arm and likely plays in the fourth quarter (or less) in the preseason games.

Alex Smith
Alex Smith will be placed on injured reserve for 2019. He will likely have the fixator removed just after the 4th of July holiday, but he is still looking at a lengthy recovery. If he can fully recover, the earliest Smith can practice is probably next spring. It's also possible he could miss the 2020 season or be placed on the PUP list for several weeks. There is also a chance Smith could see his career come to an end. However, he can still have a very positive impact for the team in 2019 and 2020. The former number one overall pick from 2005 can serve as a mentor to both Keenum and Haskins in particular. Smith's contract likely keeps him in Washington until the 2021 off-season, but his impact can still be a huge positive for the Redskins – either as a backup or a mentor.

There is our first look at roster position evaluations this off-season. We will feature another position later in the week.

Last edited:

Ordinarily I might think Gruden would make an exception this year and keep 3 QBs on the roster - since Colt is so savvy in his offense and the other 2 options are new to it. But I think the specter of injuries is going to drive him to do as he has done in the past, and keep just two. That almost certainly means the Colt McCoy era is over. I'm perfectly fine with that as Keenum, although new to the Redskins, has 4 times the playing experience that McCoy brings to the table.

As to who starts, I've said all along, with Gruden reportedly feeling the heat he'll have to start the guy he thinks can win games now. That doesn't guarantee Keenum gets the nod, but you'd certainly have to favor him unless Haskins really looks confident and capable in Training Camp.

Only thing you said that I'll take issue with...? If Keenum wins the starter's job and holds onto it all year, leading us to playoff wins - Haskins will ride the bench until further notice. I'd also have no problem with that.

Keenum would bring a nice 2021 comp pick if he plays well this season and has a playoff run to go with it. Cousins brought us Wes Martin and Bryce Love.

Of course that's possible. But we had no choice with Cousins. If Keenum has a year like he did in Minny and does what a Skins QB rarely does - wins a playoff game, I think it would be very hard to immediately move on from him. I believe that might result in Haskins sitting for several seasons or until Keenum gets injured.

Of course we are getting way ahead of ourselves, not only because we don't know if Keenum could lead this team to the playoffs and then win, nor can we be certain Gruden won't decide to start the Dwayne Haskins era immediately.

But it's fun to think about :)

And then there's the question of what happens if Alex Smith proves all the experts wrong and is physically cleared to play in 2020?

That would be a nice problem to have, Boone ... a QB stable with a healthy Alex Smith, a Case Keenum coming off a good year, and a Kid Haskins presumably still making people swoon with his Potential ... would put the Redskins in a position they haven't enjoyed in a very long time. Options, and leverage, at the most important position in professional sports.

Oh, I know. This is the still Redskins we're talking about. But still.

It's June. The world is rich with promise.

Haskins sells jerseys and tickets, Keenum is on the bench to start the season...if not, he's on a very tight leash.

Only way that would be a certainty is if you believe Snyder/Allen are directing who starts. I just don't believe Gruden would tolerate that. If Haskins starts it's because Gruden thinks he gives them the better chance to win. For that to be the case Haskins will have to look comfortable and very consistent in TC and preseason.

Or.....Keenum ballz out this year and our defense is so f'n rabid that Haskins gets 4th quarter mop-up time in 9 or our 16 regular season games.

BOOK IT!!!!!!!

Only way that would be a certainty is if you believe Snyder/Allen are directing who starts. I just don't believe Gruden would tolerate that. If Haskins starts it's because Gruden thinks he gives them the better chance to win. For that to be the case Haskins will have to look comfortable and very consistent in TC and preseason.

John, with all due respect...Snyder and Allen do pull the levers. Just last year Allen was telling them to play the Alabama boys more, don't rotate them out.

Gruden may have won the RG3 battle, and you can hold on to that to suggest Gruden starts who he wants, but that was when he had leverage. He's lucky to still have a job, they can and will fire him easily now.

Yeah, sorry, I'm familiar with Snyder/Allen's MO, but telling the HC who he'll start at QB, I just don't see that happening, nor do I believe Gruden would accept that if it did, lame duck HC or not.

I'm liking McLaurin more and more now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.