• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Swearinger released

DieselPwr44

The Owner's Favorite
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jay Gruden called DJ Swearinger into his office today and released him.</p>— Grant Paulsen (@granthpaulsen) <a href="https://twitter.com/granthpaulsen/status/1077242224990130177?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 24, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">DJ Swearinger has been cut by Redskins, per source</p>— JP Finlay (@JPFinlayNBCS) <a href="https://twitter.com/JPFinlayNBCS/status/1077242314031067137?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 24, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

While I would prefer DJ to have kept his mouth shut, not sure this actually helps the situation, especially if Gruden gets canned at the end of the season. I'd wager since he released DJ that he's going to get another year.

Wow.
I know this will be applauded my many, but we just added safety as another position we are empty at.

Wow.
I know this will be applauded my many, but we just added safety as another position we are empty at.

True but at the same time, you can't have players openly questioning the coaches on multiple occasions.

Honestly, I didn't think Jay had it in him.

DJ on local radio calling out lackadaisical practices...as he has multiple times during the last two years...but when the coach sits you down, asks you to keep it in house and you do it anyway, this had to happen.

I think it's a little too late though. Should have been done long ago.

This organization is so mental I swear. He was one of our bests and we are going to let another team snatch him up for free and he will take them to the playoffs. Im so angry.

I get this from a few different perspectives, but another says it's too late for Gruden the put the hammer down and expect people will see him as a disciplinarian. As very hot and very cold as Swearinger's play has been this year, I'd much rather see Manusky gone and DJ muzzled. You don't air your laundry publicly, period.

Well - lets be honest - Gruden can't win no matter what he does :). My only comment is that we don't know all that was said or happened here. But what we do know alone is enough to send him packing. I'd rather lose with good guys than win with guys like Swearinger. Probably on the minority there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me the interesting comment (via Twitter) was from Jonathan Allen. It seemed an intentional response to Swearinger's. Give me a few more JAs please and save the drama for your mama.

Well - lets be honest - Gruden can't win no matter what he does :). My only comment is that we don't know all that was said or happened here. But what we do know alone is enough to send him packing. I'd rather lose with good guys than win with guys like Swearinger. Probably on the minority there.

No, I'm with you there Boone.

I've questioned whether or not Jay had it in him to do this. It needed to happen after the recent outburst.

But as the old thought goes: It's easier to be a hard ass and then lighten up as you go along than it is to be easy going and then all of a sudden,try to come off as a disciplinarian.

Here is what I don't get. Why was Mason Foster allowed to skate without any punishment of any kind. What he said was way worse than what Swearinger said. Honestly, what Foster said had zero truth in it and was being critical of the organization and the fans. I'm not saying Foster should have been cut, but when he says that and there are no ramifications whatsoever, why wouldn't you expect other guys to continue to speak out.

I think one of the reasons he got cut is because his comments rang true and the coaches/front office needed to do something to show they are in charge. In my opinion, it's a little too late for that. So they did things in the most Redskins way possible. They make an emotional decision instead of a logical one. They could have suspended him and then tried to trade him in the offseason to get something back. Instead they threw a hissy fit and cut him. I don't like that they arbitrarily punish some guys and don't punish others. Clearly it's not based on talent since Swearinger is one of their better players and is better than Foster.

I will add that I don't know what is happening behind closed doors nor what happens in practice. This could be a long time coming. Those things have a way of getting out so if it was, I'm sure we will hear about it.

I'm with you to a degree. Here is where I think I differ. I think DJ is one of the good guys. I think he cares, or at least he did at one time. Sadly, I view this situation as one that should have been addressed long ago and, if it had been done correctly, might have harnessed this guy for the betterment of the whole team. Instead, it appears that didn't happen and in the end this action became necessary because he has become a disrespectful distraction.

Worse, I have agreed with a lot of what DJ has said all along. Watching this team on the field on Sundays has almost always validated what I read from him in the papers.

Just one more missed opportunity as best as I can tell.

Last edited:
Has it been reported how the Gruden/Swearinger meeting went? Maybe Sweringer pushed back and the dismissal was a result of that. Who knows?

Or maybe DJ was already on double-secret probation for previous indiscretions? Again, who knows?

Lol, this is so the Redskin thing to do. There's times I wonder if during the week the theme song to ‘The Benny Hill Show' blares throughout the PA system. Can't even get mad anymore really

Last edited:
One wonders how Joe Gibbs would have handled Farcebook and Twitter. Perhaps a new team rule is you stay off of social media during the season. Hell, for the Skins, that's only 16 weeks

Another example of the ‘white slave owner mentality', but no more ‘getting that Jewish $' for DJ.

One wonders how Joe Gibbs would have handled Farcebook and Twitter. Perhaps a new team rule is you stay off of social media during the season. Hell, for the Skins, that's only 16 weeks

It it wasn't a SM thang. It was an interview in the locker room post game.

Interesting....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Talent only keeps you around for so long. It can also get you more chances than most.. but you only have so much leash<br><br>Guys at home talented enough to be playing, but that asterisk on the resume for how they were remembered matters!</p>— Will Compton (@_willcompton) <a href="https://twitter.com/_willcompton/status/1077266291126423552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 24, 2018</a></blockquote>

if gruden wasnt such a wuss it would never have gotten to the point of cutting him.

we are not a talent rich team, we cannot afford to make more holes on the roster ffs.

This was a stupid move, but a necessary one, made necessary by the lack of leadership displayed all season , the first time dj opened his mouth in public, he should have been suspended. instead buddy gruden wanted to be buddies.

apparently our practices are way too easy and it shows in how sloppy the tackling has been. dj called that out but it didnt change because you need more than one guy doing that. but because he was never dsiciplined for going public, he only got worse., this shouldnt get gruden another year but it will probbaly.

Practices are ‘easy'. We know this because DJ told us so.

Look - any coach in the league, hell - any employer - might well cut/fire a guy for the kind of totally indefensible public comments Swearinger made. This wasn't the first issue he had either.

We don't know what else has been going on, what's been said or done behind the scenes, or any other details.

The fact that Gruden doesn't typically go nuclear ought to suggest there's a lot more to all this, not that it's some knee jerk attempt to look tough.

Yeah, we need good players. But we also need team cohesion. We're the 4th team to move on from this guy...that should tell us something. Gruden has to be able to support his coaching staff and there's no way Swearinger's actions could be tolerated. I don't know if some lesser punishment would've gotten through to him but I'm sure they didn't go this route without some thought.

I do get the frustration - Swearinger is talented and we can ill afford to lose talent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.