• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Swearinger released

well...I'ld laugh......but I've seen this sitcom one time too many!

Turns out the Packers and Raiders also put in claim for Swearinger. Now I truly am befuddled by simply releasing him with just one game left in the season, and an opportunity to get something for him.

Turns out the Packers and Raiders also put in claim for Swearinger. Now I truly am befuddled by simply releasing him with just one game left in the season, and an opportunity to get something for him.

That's the only part of this I struggle to understand as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I don't understand why they didn't suspend him and try to trade him in the offseason. It's 1 freaking week to wait. It's not like it's the week after the trade deadline and you have to keep him a few months. You hold him for another week, try to see if you can get anything for him, and if not you can cut him then. That is the sensible thing to do, but obviously the Redskins don't do the sensible thing. They wanted to have an emotional reaction to show him who's boss, and now everyone is laughing at them and other teams were waiting to scoop up a guy with talent.

I agree. I don't understand why they didn't suspend him and try to trade him in the offseason. It's 1 freaking week to wait. It's not like it's the week after the trade deadline and you have to keep him a few months. You hold him for another week, try to see if you can get anything for him, and if not you can cut him then. That is the sensible thing to do, but obviously the Redskins don't do the sensible thing. They wanted to have an emotional reaction to show him who's boss, and now everyone is laughing at them and other teams were waiting to scoop up a guy with talent.

Why haven't the mediots asked this question during the press conferences?

All I can think of is maybe he was such a major headache and even cancer, that they just wanted to rid themselves of him as quick as possible, and owning him for just another week of play may have been a detriment to the team and its chemistry, in their eyes and their feelings.

That seems most likely, Fear.

EDIT: If we just suspended him, wouldn't he then be able to file a grievance, and have the suspension put on hold pending a hearing?

I don't really see much to get all worked up about. He's out of the building.
Could be that the rest of the locker room wanted him gone, like right now.

Anyway, **** him eternally.
Next man up.

Last edited by a moderator:

El, he was playing at a pro-bowl level, as you know. What was Swearinger doing but publicly demanding accountability? Oh yea, challenging the authority of a collective group of F-ups in the FO and ownership. That was his true sin. This draws attention away from just how bad this FO/ownership team of baffoons continues to be - no matter how short the respite. This team and its leadership CREATES these sort of people - not the other way around. It's so systemically f'd up in Redskin land that this becomes a regular behavioral trait. None of this is new. It was worse during the Shanahan years and before.

It's not Swearinger...he's just a symptom of a sick, sick organization.

Two things.

One. Swearinger was a legend in his own mind. I never saw a guy toot his own horn that much over a couple of weeks. Looks at more film than the coaches. Is a VERY smart player. Knows exactly what coverages to call on a regular basis, etc.

He's says he's about winning but in truth he is a loser. Four teams in six years? Yeah, a core performer who teams can't do without :laugh:

Two. Swearinger's three public outbursts as well as those of Josh Norman and the BS by Mason Foster earlier in the season demonstrate the head coach isn't universally respected in the locker room and there is a leadership void among the playing 45 as well.

If Allen is telling Gruden whom to play on Sundays that isn't surprising. Allen is too stupid to realize his interventions only undermine the credibility of the entire staff and FO.

As far as the players go a team with any real leaders would have muffled Swearinger and Norman a long time ago.

These guys have been here a couple of years and came in as free agents. They aren't home grown. To see recent additions to a roster hold that much sway and feel invulnerable in the NFL is rare.

Occasionally you see it with a franchise quarterback or veterans that have won big in the past but not guys like those on the Redskins.

What's telling is that Swearinger was cut by Gruden after his third public outburst while with Belichick or Reid he would likely have been cut after the first.

El, he was playing at a pro-bowl level, as you know. What was Swearinger doing but publicly demanding accountability? Oh yea, challenging the authority of a collective group of F-ups in the FO and ownership. That was his true sin. This draws attention away from just how bad this FO/ownership team of baffoons continues to be - no matter how short the respite. This team and its leadership CREATES these sort of people - not the other way around. It's so systemically f'd up in Redskin land that this becomes a regular behavioral trait. None of this is new. It was worse during the Shanahan years and before.

It's not Swearinger...he's just a symptom of a sick, sick organization.

I don't believe I said anything about Swearinger, more about how fk'd up we are systematically. Compound that with the release LaFemina today, and it's just more of the same.

Bottom line, this is all on Bruce Allen at this point. Vinny friggin Cerrato had a better record over his tenure here than Bruce does, and if Snyder cannot see that...he is now the problem. But I've been saying it for a couple years now...as long as Dan Snyder owns this team, we will never win another SB. In his 20 year tenure, we are the 5th worst team in the NFL. Let that sink in a moment.

I don't believe I said anything about Swearinger, more about how fk'd up we are systematically. Compound that with the release LaFemina today, and it's just more of the same.

Bottom line, this is all on Bruce Allen at this point. Vinny friggin Cerrato had a better record over his tenure here than Bruce does, and if Snyder cannot see that...he is now the problem. But I've been saying it for a couple years now...as long as Dan Snyder owns this team, we will never win another SB. In his 20 year tenure, we are the 5th worst team in the NFL. Let that sink in a moment.

Not an attack brotha! I'm with you 100% on your analysis. I was springboarding off your post. Will have to change my approach!

Well, Joe Gibbs helped the team and front office look more respectable.

The poorer record under Bruce is in part due to his choice of head coach.

Gruden like so many of the players is replacement level, no more.

Two things.

One. Swearinger was a legend in his own mind. I never saw a guy toot his own horn that much over a couple of weeks. Looks at more film than the coaches. Is a VERY smart player. Knows exactly what coverages to call on a regular basis, etc.

True. Although McLoughan continually publicly suggested the Skins needed players with “attitude” and I'm pretty sure he liked a lot of cockiness. So that could have helped him and others land here.

He's says he's about winning but in truth he is a loser. Four teams in six years? Yeah, a core performer who teams can't do without :laugh:

Two. Swearinger's three public outbursts as well as those of Josh Norman and the BS by Mason Foster earlier in the season demonstrate the head coach isn't universally respected in the locker room and there is a leadership void among the playing 45 as well.

What's telling is that Swearinger was cut by Gruden after his third public outburst while with Belichick or Reid he would likely have been cut after the first.

I think McLoughan encouraged “leaders” to step up with attitude in the locker room. Do I think it was encouraged by the FO in some degree.

I also think Bellichick gets something for Swearinger in this situation. There are plenty of teams who would do what the Skins did though; most are home in January (some exceptions, like Dallas).

This team had a pathetic year. Snyder is just too inept to hire the right people ultimately. I wonder if he's friends with “JD” of the Knicks.

More than 20 guys on IR guys - for 2 years running. How many teams are playoff caliber or even .500 under those circumstances? Winning games is mostly about available roster talent. I hate our ownership and Front Office. But I'm not in favor of blowing up the coaching staff again. Just me.

Last edited:
More than 20 guys on IR guys - for 2 years running. How many teams are playoff caliber or even .500 under those circumstances? Winning games is mostly about available roster talent. I hate our ownership and Front Office. But I'm not in favor of blowing up the coaching staff again. Just me.

I know there are many like you who forgive based on this fact, but it is a symptom of our FO.

How many guys have we taken a flyer on in the past 10 years who came to us with injury concerns, but was a "steal" in the draft? How many free agents were brought in with injury histories? How many players were brought back after serious injury when it was obvious they'd lost a step, and could not stay on the field?

Yes, fact is that 20 to IR is a staggering statistic but I think it's, at least in part, indicative of a poor FO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.