• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What is your number one position of need(other than QB)?

Solitary Man

The Starter
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
First off, I don't think we should draft a QB in round one next year, so my thought on this thread is..

If we can get a stud at any position other than qb, in Round 1 of next year's draft. One that will not only start in week one, but will come in and make a difference, what position do you want that to be? Or do you feel we have too many holes that it really doesn't matter to you.

You will accept, OG, CB, WR, LB, Edge Rusher, or even Safety.

Let's assume we have Josh Johnson and Adrian Peterson back.
Now we have to assume that Josh Norman will be back. That is a big assumption, but we are too exposed there.
We have to assume that Reuben Foster will be suspended, and it is not 100 percent sure he will play here. Let's assume he is ready to play in week 5. Let's also assume he will be an upgrade for us.
As much as I am annoyed with Dix, let's assume he will be back too.

Obviously, there are way too many hypothetical outcomes, and unknowns that will happen between now and then.
Free Agency, injuries, do we stick with the 3-4, etc.

The basic premise of my thread(Boonesy:bucktooth:), is if you could have had one stud inserted today, what position would that have been at?
I would love for us to get the MLB from LSU, but can he and Reuben Foster play on the field at the same time? I love what we have done at the DT position, so I want us to keep building from the front end. However, I keep going back and forth between OG, CB, and WR. I am not dug in though.

Last year, Doug Williams made it clear, that it was between Payne and Derwin James. We can not expect to have a luxury like Derwin to be available for us this year.

In a nutshell, give me your number one position you want to improve. Besides QB.
To stick to my strategy, I will say ILB.

LG.

Need someone just as nasty as Scherff is in the run game.

Tired of cooks and bottle washers or broken down vets, manning that spot.

LG.

Yup, we'll be picking in the middle rounds, and this is a good position to draft a G. We need to solidify that OL, and give Trent someone next to him who will allow Trent to just do his job, not compensate for a poor player.

LG.

Hard to argue against this.
I would like to say to our scouting staff, plllleeeeease, check their injury history first.

While I see this as putting the cart before the horse, I will abide by the scenario laid out by Solitary Man.

So, if we could add one stud...."today", then the correct answer is...it doesn't matter.

That's the problem with putting the cart in front of the horse. :beatnik:

While I see this as putting the cart before the horse, I will abide by the scenario laid out by Solitary Man.

So, if we could add one stud...."today", then the correct answer is...it doesn't matter.

That's the problem with putting the cart in front of the horse. :beatnik:

Thanks for the opinion Ax. I would love our management to realize that we are not one player away and to draft the best player.

This is a great topic.

We drafted Chase Roullier in the 6th round. Given how much money we already have invested in the line, it might be best to try and get that LG in the third round or below.

At the same time, we also knew before the season began that our WRs were a complete joke. Now with it even more unlikely that Jordan Reed returns, we seriously need someone that can catch the ball and stay healthy. Crowder is simply too small to be relied upon. So I'd lean toward WR at the moment.

On the other hand, any truly elite WR will be taken in the top 10, so we may not get great value in our draft spot.

There's no Derwin James this year, but the top safety will likely be available when we pick.

A strong case can also be made for CB.

MLB for me. That position has not been the same since London has retired. It seems whomever we stick in that position is too slow to cover anything across the middle and ends up giving up 10-20-30 yard gains due to leaving a TE wide open in mid field. Cross routes eat us up across the middle.

I also know that Will Grier isn't currently projected as a first rounder, but we see the same situation occur almost every year. QBs fly up the board as the draft approaches.

We might want to consider making a run at Nick Foles...and drafting a mid-late round QB this year and perhaps a 1st round the following if warranted. We gotta get this right, and I think we all know at this point even Alex Smith is a bust.

The time to 'make a run at Nick Foles' has come and gone. We might have been able to acquire him last offseason with Wentz coming back. But with a 2nd straight year of Wentz going out with a major injury, no way the Eagles part with Foles - especially if he leads them to playoff success, which honestly, I wouldn't bet against.

He was under contract last off-season. Unless I am mistaken, his contract is up, so he can go where he chooses.

Yup, we'll be picking in the middle rounds, and this is a good position to draft a G. We need to solidify that OL, and give Trent someone next to him who will allow Trent to just do his job, not compensate for a poor player.

Speaking of Trent... next year will be his 10th season if I'm correct. I agree LG is a BIG need but TW is not really 100% and coming close to possible retirement... I don't know much difference between LT and RT but IF Trent were comfortable switching sides it could prolong his career... or him moving to RG and we get a new LT like maybe Alabama LT Jonah Williams.

Trent isn't going anywhere next year, and his health could be saved by having someone ext to him of worth...someone he doesn't have to compensate for.

Best player available, but focus on Oline and Dline , until we have a very solid Oline across the board I dont want a qb. i would be ok with a stud dlineman though not a linebacker, you can get solid linebackers in free agency, great O and dlinemen are much more rare and expensive

Best player available, but we gotta take care of the lines. D Line is coming along, but please, whoever we get as the next D Coordinator, get us off the 3-4. We either need to get some Guards or if we can get a Tackle we could move the current tackles inside to take care of the G position for awhile. RB, WR and QB can stay a wreck for a couple more years if we can't get anyone in free agency.

O line, O line, O line and O line - then again we need pieces everywhere but might as well sure up the trenches first.

MLB for me. That position has not been the same since London has retired. It seems whomever we stick in that position is too slow to cover anything across the middle and ends up giving up 10-20-30 yard gains due to leaving a TE wide open in mid field. Cross routes eat us up across the middle.

I hear you BGB!
If Reuben Foster turns his life around, can you imagine the tandem of he and Devin White of LSU!!?? I don't see White lasting to us in the draft, but I can dream right!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.