• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 12/14/18: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
skinsquotes.png

December 14, 2018

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On injuries:
"Alright, out will be [Ryan] Anderson, hamstring; [Tony] Bergstrom, knee/ankle; [Colt] McCoy, fibula and [Jordan] Reed, ankle/foot. Questionable will be Josh Doctson, concussion; [Matt] Ioannidis, shin; [Ty] Nsekhe, knee; [Morgan] Moses, ankle; Nick Sundberg, lower back; Chris Thompson, illness and Montae Nicholson, illness."

On where WR Josh Doctson stands in the concussion protocol:
"Yeah, that's up to the independent doctors and the doctors, but he did some work today. He's on the upside."

On if Doctson needs an additional level of clearance:
"I think it's he's practicing and tolerating it the way it is and then we'll evaluate him tonight and tomorrow morning. If everything is good then he's good."

On if he said LS Nick Sundberg:
"I did say Nick Sundberg."

On what the plan would be to replace Sundberg:
"We would have to find another long snapper. We've got a couple flying in today or one for sure. He's going to work out here at two o'clock. But he's got a lower back issue. He's had that issue for a little bit of time and I think it's just something we've got to get an MRI and get checked out. Hopefully everything is OK. If not, we'll get somebody else in here."

On if the injury happened in practice or if it was a deterioration:
"Yeah, yeah. I don't know if it was deterioration. It was just sore and he had some issues back there."

On who would replace Doctson if he was out:
"Yeah, we'll fill it with [Michael] Floyd, [Maurice] Harris and [Jamison] Crowder and Jehu Chesson."

On who would be the new starter at guard:
"Probably Luke [Bowanko] right now is getting the nod right now."

On if the team has decided which tight end to bring up if any:
"We'll make that decision this afternoon at four. [Matt] Flanagan has had a good week, J.P. [Holtz], they both offer something different and both have done a great job. We'll make that determination today, hopefully."

On if the Sundberg injury complicates the roster decisions:
"There's a lot of complicated things we're trying to get cleared up. We have some other guys we are trying to work through to get them up on the roster and some guys that are out a couple of weeks, one week, two weeks, three weeks. We just have to make a decision there and open up a couple roster spots, one, maybe two."

On if he ever thought he would be in this roster shuffling and injury situation again:
"Yeah, I mean no, but it's part of the job. You have to handle injuries and situations and it's what I signed up for. Unfortunately, we've had our share but it's something that has to be done."

On the amount of false starts on offense:
"Both, both really. Lack of concentration number one; everybody has got to be on the same page. Even when you are on the road, you should never have a false start on the road because you've got to watch the ball anyway pretty much. But at home when you have a couple, that's a lack of concentration. A couple of them they called on Morgan [Moses] that he just timed the count up and he didn't think he was offside. But yeah, the snap count also. Sometimes they drag it out a little bit. Everybody is so used to the rhythm – white-80, white-80, set hut. Then sometimes it's white-80, white-eighteee, set hut, you know? We're getting that cleared up and making sure everybody is rhythmic and handle the change in snap counts when we need it."

On T Morgan Moses leading the league in total penalties:
"Yeah, a couple hands to the face, a couple false starts, a couple holdings. He's such a big guy, sometimes he gets the hands up there in the face every now and then and he's had a couple false starts. Like I said, he's tried to time them and jumped. But the holding calls that we've had, three or four of them that were said weren't holding calls the day after and some of them are legit. A lot of times if he gets beat, he'd rather have a holding call than get the quarterback hit too. I think Morgan's really done a good job this year as far as fighting through. He's played with some tough injuries now with his ankles and feet and all that stuff. He's done a great job fighting through and being there for us. Unfortunately, he's had a couple penalties."

On if QB Josh Johnson's enthusiasm could spark the team:
"Yeah, that's one thing I mentioned the other day. He's got great confidence and plays with great energy and that hopefully will rub off. That's the way you should play this game, that's the way everybody should play this game. It's a game. You've got to play with great confidence and great energy to have a chance and have some fun and Josh will do that. Very confident and the one thing I also know about him is if he has one bad play, that won't affect his next play. He'll just keep grinding and keep working and keep slinging it. He'll bring an energy to the team. Hopefully he has some production."

On if CB Josh Norman got a day off:
"No he played, he practiced. He was probably just cold [Laughter]."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jay's comments really pissed me off.

No, it wasn't the Mason Foster controversy.

What was it?

Jay brought Josh Johnson here because he had him in Tampa and Cincinnati and brought in Sanchez because he had been in Cavanaugh's system in NY, right?

But yesterday he trots out some lame excuse for Sanchez and potentially for Josh if he crashes and burns in JAX by saying ‘these guys have a big learning curve in front of them, new concepts being thrown their way, etc'

You've got to be kidding 😤

If the latter is true than he flat out lied two weeks ago.

There is no way you can tell me that Jay Cutler wouldn't have been a better candidate here than Sanchez from a strictly football perspective.

Kaepernick laps both Sanchez and Johnson. He's both younger and better.

Again, the Redskins consistently think they can tell us anything as a rationalization for the bumpy ride each season seems to be here.

All I know is Parcells took a 1-15 team to 10-6 in one year using mostly the same roster with one draft class added in.

Don't tell me a REAL coach couldn't do better than the excrement we see out there each week.

One neighbor said after the 34-0 score at halftime that he wasn't going to waste his time on the Redskibs until they make a commitment to bringing in a legit GM and head coach with some stones.

Amen to that one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.