• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Players we will cut before 2019 season.

Also from the article.

There is also the possibility (and I believe with the latest injury, this becomes a must) that the team can re-structure the contract of Jordan Reed.

Reed has a base salary of nearly $7.7 million in 2019, and his total cap hit is $9.7 million. If they can agree to re-do his current deal, and convert some of that base salary to bonuses, this may give them even more wiggle room. If Reed refuses to re-structure his current deal, the Redskins may be better off parting ways, as he carries just $3.6 million in dead money. When healthy, he's a weapon, but the issue is he can't STAY healthy.

We do need to cut some of them, and not necessarily all of them.
I'd like to keep Z-Brown. And at a slight 2nd, I'd like to try to keep V-Davis, mainly because I believe he is the type of guy who would be willing to restructure. Also, we need him, because we have no other dependable option right now as a receiving TE.

Probably 3rd in who I'd like to keep, contingent on if he will re-structure is Norman. If he doesn't restructure, let him go, because he's not worth the money. But if he does restructure, we could really use him unless we go out and get some serious talent at the position. Because Stroman, Johnson and Moreau got exposed this year, however of course Stroman and Johnson have a good excuse for being a rookie. But the fact is, that at least makes them an unknown and a question mark. Same for Adonis. An unknown. Hopefully those 3 rookies can develop before next season so we don't have to go out and invest too much more at CB.

Dunbar is really the only guy we can count on...IF he can stay healthy.
So, bottom line, is we need more talent, and try to keep some guys at a more reasonable salary.
So, definitely let McGee, Foster, and Thompson walk. Thompson, not just because of the injury history, but also because I think he's over-rated, and the drop-off from him to Bibbs AND Marshall, is not a huge dropoff.

Last edited:
Mason Foster needs to be waived TODAY based on his comments.

Someone has to step up and let everyone know the inmates are not in charge of the asylum.

I agree with most of the other moves as well.

Bruce Allen is known for being 'frugal' but then again he spent big money on Josh Norman and more than decent money on Stacy McGhee and these players have been nothing more than serviceable on the field.

Paraphrasing a famous quote....'Josh Norman isn't good enough to carry Patrick Peterson's jock strap'.............

I don't know why my post breaks up sentences into different lines, after not completing a line.
EDIT : I was able to edit that post to make it look right. Well, maybe this goes in the Tech Feedback place.

From 6-10 this year to 2-14 next year.

Enough to get rid of the real problem....DS?

We only have 3 or 4 potential A players on this roster so we are going to need to break this down and get some high picks to restock the team.

No #1 picks in 2013 and 2014, the bust that was Robert Griffin III, and the apparent bust of Josh Doctson from 2016 has left this team hollowed out.

Who on this team would other teams trade for as potential upgrades?

Trent Williams
Brandon Scherff
Jonathan Allen
Matt Ioannidis
Daron Payne
Tress Way
DJ Swearinger

From 2018 that's the list to me.

There are some younger players like Montae, Quinton Dunbar, Derrius Guice (if healthy), and holdover like Chris Thompson (again if healthy) that might net a return as well.

But that's it.

Notice the positions where we have no A or B players or are borderline exposed:

QB
WR
TE
LB
Left CB
Punt Returner
Kick Returner
LG

This is going to take a couple of years to fix with picks, free agents and solid trades.

There is no quick fix.

Save Wey. The rest can go. I'm tired of the half assin, the big mouths and/or the bad attitudes.

We only have 3 or 4 potential A players on this roster so we are going to need to break this down and get some high picks to restock the team.

No #1 picks in 2013 and 2014, the bust that was Robert Griffin III, and the apparent bust of Josh Doctson from 2016 has left this team hollowed out.

Who on this team would other teams trade for as potential upgrades?

Trent Williams
Brandon Scherff
Jonathan Allen
Matt Ioannidis
Daron Payne
Tress Way
DJ Swearinger

From 2018 that's the list to me.

There are some younger players like Montae, Quinton Dunbar, Derrius Guice (if healthy), and holdover like Chris Thompson (again if healthy) that might net a return as well.

But that's it.

Notice the positions where we have no A or B players or are borderline exposed:

QB
WR
TE
LB
Left CB
Punt Returner
Kick Returner
LG

This is going to take a couple of years to fix with picks, free agents and solid trades.

There is no quick fix.

Tim Settle is a good player, that has stayed healthy.
I also like Stroman. He has talent and a short memory. He also has stayed healthy.

No more high priced trades.
No more quick fixes.
Bruce Allen should be jailed for setting us back 3 more years.
Letting Kendall Fuller go and mortgaging our future for a 34 year old qb.

I'm kind of resigned to some kind of do over this offseason, whether it's a full on nuclear blow up, or a modified one. But there is no question that the ridiculous spate of horrific injuries we've had the past 2 years running is the #1 reason we are not currently competitive - not the talent, not the coaching, not even the GM or owner. You can't be successful when you are on your 5th starting QB in 2 years and are playing 4th and 5th backups at key positions. I know people don't want to hear it, but I believe that's true. That doesn't mean that Gruden will ever be a great coach, or that Bruce Allen is a decent GM. I'm just hesitant to blame them for what's happened the past 2 years to a certain extent, because I'm not sure any team or staff could overcome what we've experienced.

I know someone is currently typing 'but our relatively healthy defense sucks too!'. But you have to put their performance in context. The first half of the season when we were at least sustaining some drives, playing ball control, and winning the TOP battle, the defense looked pretty good. They've fallen apart down the stretch because we do have some weak links, but mostly because they are being asked to absolutely carry the team, and they're more or less exhausted by the time the 2nd half rolls around. I just think it's too much pressure as they know the offense can't win games for them. All of the injuries have taken as much a toll on them as they have on the offense.

I dunno @Solitary Man, for me Stroman has looked very very shaky. He's gotten abused over and over and over again in coverage, and now is even looking scary on kick returns. I know he's a rookie, and I'm certainly not advocating giving up on him. He may well develop into a starter. But I think teams this year have looked to attack him (right along with Mason Foster) and have generally abused the hell out of him. I don't know what others are seeing - I cringe whenever the ball is thrown his way.

I'm kind of resigned to some kind of do over this offseason, whether it's a full on nuclear blow up, or a modified one. But there is no question that the ridiculous spate of horrific injuries we've had the past 2 years running is the #1 reason we are not currently competitive - not the talent, not the coaching, not even the GM or owner. You can't be successful when you are on your 5th starting QB in 2 years and are playing 4th and 5th backups at key positions. I know people don't want to hear it, but I believe that's true. That doesn't mean that Gruden will ever be a great coach, or that Bruce Allen is a decent GM. I'm just hesitant to blame them for what's happened the past 2 years to a certain extent, because I'm not sure any team or staff could overcome what we've experienced.

I know someone is currently typing 'but our relatively healthy defense sucks too!'. But you have to put their performance in context. The first half of the season when we were at least sustaining some drives, playing ball control, and winning the TOP battle, the defense looked pretty good. They've fallen apart down the stretch because we do have some weak links, but mostly because they are being asked to absolutely carry the team, and they're more or less exhausted by the time the 2nd half rolls around. I just think it's too much pressure as they know the offense can't win games for them. All of the injuries have taken as much a toll on them as they have on the offense.

I dunno @Solitary Man, for me Stroman has looked very very shaky. He's gotten abused over and over and over again in coverage, and now is even looking scary on kick returns. I know he's a rookie, and I'm certainly not advocating giving up on him. He may well develop into a starter. But I think teams this year have looked to attack him (right along with Mason Foster) and have generally abused the hell out of him. I don't know what others are seeing - I cringe whenever the ball is thrown his way.

I really believe Stro can become a good player. Maybe he will end up as a slot corner. He moves good side to side and can break on the ball. Foster has the fight of a warrior but he can't match up with anyone in coverage.

The problem with Gruden is, he can't win much with a healthy roster, either. His vaunted system is so fragile that losing almost any one piece throws it into disarray. Much less numerous pieces. He has no leadership qualities. And whether it's just an expression he's cursed with, or the fact of the matter, he has the most lost, befuddled look on a head coach that I ever remember seeing.

I don't think we're as untalented as some fans do. I also dismiss that Snyder, or Allen, have any meaningful affect on how underperforming this team is. That, to me, lies solely at the feet of the coaching staff. The best they do is get average performance out of the guys. For the most part, they fail to do even that.

I believe a quality coaching staff could take this team, along with next years draft/FA pool, and seriously contend for the NFC East title next season. I have little to none that the current staff can.

I could be wrong, but then, hardly ever happens.:juggle:

I believe a quality coaching staff could take this team, along with next years draft/FA pool, and seriously contend for the NFC East title next season. I have little to none that the current staff can.

We were seriously contending for the NFC East title prior to losing our QBs and damn near every skill position starter on offense. We were contending in 2017 as well before the injuries mounted. Does that make our guys a 'quality coaching staff'?

I'm pissed. I'm disappointed. And I'm tired. There are games (like last week's) we should have won despite it all. I know all of the narratives out there as to why they need to 'blow it all up'.

But you all are still vastly underestimating the impact of the ridiculous # of players we have had go on IR the past 2 years.

Back to the topic at hand.

I would move on from Perine, Thompson, Reed, Davis, Crowder (maybe), McCoy, and some of the OL. I'd argue that we don't need to blow the whole team/staff up. But we need to do a total rebuild on offense.

Hell, we're still contending for the wildcard right now. Is that because of coaching? Or, is it like many have said in the past, that it's easy to contend in such a weak division/conference.

I think there are only 2 choices.

1. Fire Gruden. Let the new head coach have full discretion to hire his staff. If he wants to keep any of the assistant coaches, then you let him.
2. Fire no one. Let this group try, again, to see if it can ever learn anything. Only a relatively healthy season will prove to some just how incompetent Gruden, and his system, are.

If just Manusky is fired, does anyone on the planet trust Gruden to make another DC selection?

Anybody?

Mmm?

In my original post I wasn't suggesting trading Scherff, Allen or Payne, etc.

What I was suggesting was simply that this team doesn't have that many players other teams would trade for as an upgrade and I was identifying those few.

That short list was my springboard to agree with the blog that there are a number of expensive veterans we can and SHOULD part ways with because they don't represent good value for the team and we can do better.

Hell, we're still contending for the wildcard right now. Is that because of coaching? Or, is it like many have said in the past, that it's easy to contend in such a weak division/conference.

I think there are only 2 choices.

1. Fire Gruden. Let the new head coach have full discretion to hire his staff. If he wants to keep any of the assistant coaches, then you let him.
2. Fire no one. Let this group try, again, to see if it can ever learn anything. Only a relatively healthy season will prove to some just how incompetent Gruden, and his system, are.

If just Manusky is fired, does anyone on the planet trust Gruden to make another DC selection?

Anybody?

Mmm?

If there's a blow up, and it doesn't start with Bruce Allen - it's a pointless exercise. Bruce Allen is not going to find a transformative new HC or DC for the Redskins.

I'm tired of losing and seeing the team show promise and then collapse. But when I *try* to be fair-minded (and I'll admit, it's hard to even want to adopt that mindset), I'm not inclined to judge Gruden OR Manusky as harshly as most Skins fans given the circumstances the past 2 years. I say that because, in both of the past 2 seasons, the team has looked good or at least won games prior to ridiculous injuries coming into play. I'm not saying that injuries are the only problem we have had - I'm not saying anything like that. I'm only saying that it's very hard to for me to fairly and authoritatively pronounce Gruden and Manusky losers based on the past 2 seasons. Maybe they are destined to be bad coaches. But on a good day, when I'm not full of anger and despair, I can look at the past 2 seasons and feel that perhaps the Redskins would've shown us something quite different had it not been having half their starters on IR. I'm open to the possibility that horrific luck is as responsible as coaching for our overall failure the past 2 seasons. I know I'm in the very slim minority viewing it this way.

That's actually wrong. There are plenty of bad healthy teams in the NFL and not all of them are bad because their coaches suck. Gruden, this season, lost his entire stable of QBs. Most HCs would deserve a pass just for that loss alone. We'll be starting over at THE most important position on the team next season or we'll be relying on Colt McCoy. Despite your belief to the contrary, McCoy is not a starting level NFL QB. He never has been and he never will be. What I'm getting at is that it's very hard to consistently win at the NFL level because it requires numerous things to go right. You have to have talent and playmakers, you have to be solid on both sides of the ball, you have to have good coaching, you have to have enough good players stay healthy enough that you are competitive down the stretch, and yes - you have to have some luck. Look at Philly. This year, they've sucked more often than not and most likely won't make the playoffs. In most years, they'd already be out of the playoffs. But last year, all of those things that have to go right to be a dangerous playoff team, all went right for them. And guess what - Doug Pederson coached both of those years. Last year didn't make him a coaching genius. And this year doesn't make him a terrible coach. Ron Rivera is another example of a pretty damn good coach who has struggled. Some would argue Mike McCarthy is a similar guy. It's not just about coaching guys.

The Packers were horrible last year without Aaron Rodgers and with him hurting this year they are 5-7-1.

The Eagles are nowhere near where they were last year and while part of that is injuries to the secondary the primary reason is that Carson Wentz is still not back to being the player he was when he got hurt at 13-2 last year.

So, I agree that without your #1 quarterback most teams in the NFL are 'toast' so to speak.

Nick Foles did a great job in the playoffs but does anyone realistically think the Eagles are 13-3 and the #1 seed with Foles playing 16 games? :)

The problem for the Redskins is we have injured quarterbacks AND there is a chance that Alex Smith never comes back again to play for the team while we still have to count $23M against our cap for the next 2 years through 2020.

Of course you can also say that even if healthy neither Smith nor McCoy are players you build a team around.

What the Redskins have to do now is what they have been loathe to do in the past, namely draft a quarterback and develop him into a starter.

Take the time to surround him with younger players that are growing as he is growing so that you end up with guys that are in their primes TOGETHER at a key point in the future.

THAT is what allows you to contend for championship.

And by being patient that DOESN'T mean trading three #1 picks to move up in the draft to get the #1 pick.

In 2012 the consensus was that there were two blue chip prospects on the board at qb, Andrew Luck and RG III.

But what was supposed to turn into a very shallow draft class in 2012 showed later there was some additional depth in Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins, both of whom turned into better NFL quarterbacks than RGIII.

Both have been a lot healthier than Andrew Luck as well. Wilson has taken the Seahawks to 2 Super Bowls.

And you can go back in the past couple of drafts and find guys that were drafted fairly high but not in the top 3-5 picks that turned into franchise performers.

Patrick Mahomes was #1 1, DeShaun Watson was what #1 6?

So, there are ways to succeed and build a contending team without having to mortgage the team's entire future to do so.

But it takes a good GM to find the right deal or the right player to pick at a certain spot.

The Redskins have not had that since Snyder has been here and I would argue they have not had that since 1992.

For the record, I had no problem with the hiring of Gruden.
I thought his rookie season was nothing short of abysmal. Only supported keeping him to stop the revolving door at HC.
I hoped for improvement in his 2nd year. But got very little. His leadership qualities were still nonexistent. Which is still the case.
After the 3rd year, I was convinced he is a loser. Destined to remain so.
And, injuries or not, the last 2 seasons have been like every other season he's been here.
No accountability. No leadership. Plays favorites. Can't spell plan b if you spot him the p-l-a-n-b. Bad talent evaluator. Be it players, or coaches.

He's just another rigid system guy who arrogantly believes that his system is the greatest thing the world has ever seen.

All teams need at least a small degree of luck to succeed. Gruden needs mountains of it just to be average.
Unfortunately, I think there's a good chance the injuries will buy him another season. Norv, his head coaching twin, got 7yrs. When we all knew after 3-4 it was not going to get better. I see this as deja vu all over again.

That said, I may be one of the few who wants us to win out, and make the playoffs. It would buffer the heartache of having to watch him coach another season here, next year.

Totally Agree, Ax :eclipsee_Victoria:

Jay Gruden in succession has shown through his actions and comments that RGIII, Kirk Cousins and Alex Smith are not necessarily ideal fits in his offense.

Well, who the hell is then?

If we keep Gruden I suppose his fallback position is to tell the team to go out and get Andy Dalton and bring him to Washington :laugh:

Winning coaches are flexible and use different players according to their skills.

That is what allowed Gibbs to win a Super Bowl in 1982 and come back and win one in 1991.

That is what allowed Walsh to win in 1981 and put in place a structure that continued to win through 1994, after he was gone!

Look at Belichick. He has had Brady. But he switched from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 based on personnel.

On offense, he ran a three wide receiver set early on. Then when he had Gronk and Hernandez he started both in a two tight end alignment. Now with Gordon and Edelman back in the fold we are seeing a lot more of the 3 WR sets.

He had Corey Dillon who was a slasher back in the day and now he has quicker backs with better hands in James White and Sony Michel and runs different plays for them.

Only in Washington do we expect the players to rigidly fit a system (and one that doesn't seem to work by the way).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.