• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Players we will cut before 2019 season.

The Packers were horrible last year without Aaron Rodgers and with him hurting this year they are 5-7-1.

The Eagles are nowhere near where they were last year and while part of that is injuries to the secondary the primary reason is that Carson Wentz is still not back to being the player he was when he got hurt at 13-2 last year.

So, I agree that without your #1 quarterback most teams in the NFL are 'toast' so to speak.

Nick Foles did a great job in the playoffs but does anyone realistically think the Eagles are 13-3 and the #1 seed with Foles playing 16 games? :)

The problem for the Redskins is we have injured quarterbacks AND there is a chance that Alex Smith never comes back again to play for the team while we still have to count $23M against our cap for the next 2 years through 2020.

Of course you can also say that even if healthy neither Smith nor McCoy are players you build a team around.

What the Redskins have to do now is what they have been loathe to do in the past, namely draft a quarterback and develop him into a starter.

Take the time to surround him with younger players that are growing as he is growing so that you end up with guys that are in their primes TOGETHER at a key point in the future.

THAT is what allows you to contend for championship.

And by being patient that DOESN'T mean trading three #1 picks to move up in the draft to get the #1 pick.

In 2012 the consensus was that there were two blue chip prospects on the board at qb, Andrew Luck and RG III.

But what was supposed to turn into a very shallow draft class in 2012 showed later there was some additional depth in Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins, both of whom turned into better NFL quarterbacks than RGIII.

Both have been a lot healthier than Andrew Luck as well. Wilson has taken the Seahawks to 2 Super Bowls.

And you can go back in the past couple of drafts and find guys that were drafted fairly high but not in the top 3-5 picks that turned into franchise performers.

Patrick Mahomes was #1 1, DeShaun Watson was what #1 6?

So, there are ways to succeed and build a contending team without having to mortgage the team's entire future to do so.

But it takes a good GM to find the right deal or the right player to pick at a certain spot.

The Redskins have not had that since Snyder has been here and I would argue they have not had that since 1992.

Couldn't agree more with that Bulldog. And that is why we are ****ed and also why firing Gruden alone is highly unlikely to make a damn bit of difference. Bruce Allen couldn't draft a future star QB if you held a gun to his head and gave him top ten picks 5 years in a row. That's why if they start over, it has to be a complete top to bottom blow up, hiring the best GM you can find, and then getting out of his way. Anything else is just more of the same.

We do need to cut some of them, and not necessarily all of them.
I'd like to keep Z-Brown. And at a slight 2nd, I'd like to try to keep V-Davis, mainly because I believe he is the type of guy who would be willing to restructure. Also, we need him, because we have no other dependable option right now as a receiving TE.

Probably 3rd in who I'd like to keep, contingent on if he will re-structure is Norman. If he doesn't restructure, let him go, because he's not worth the money. But if he does restructure, we could really use him unless we go out and get some serious talent at the position. Because Stroman, Johnson and Moreau got exposed this year, however of course Stroman and Johnson have a good excuse for being a rookie. But the fact is, that at least makes them an unknown and a question mark. Same for Adonis. An unknown. Hopefully those 3 rookies can develop before next season so we don't have to go out and invest too much more at CB.

Dunbar is really the only guy we can count on...IF he can stay healthy.
So, bottom line, is we need more talent, and try to keep some guys at a more reasonable salary.
So, definitely let McGee, Foster, and Thompson walk. Thompson, not just because of the injury history, but also because I think he's over-rated, and the drop-off from him to Bibbs AND Marshall, is not a huge dropoff.

Brown is as good as gone, and he knows it.
https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...wall-and-expects-leaves-redskins-after-season

I saw that, and it didn't really convince me he's gone. For several reasons.
First, it's just his perception that they will cut him. And we all know from recent events that players tend to over-react to things. And also, a good enough reason wasn't given. He said they benched him after he was dealing with illness. So is it possible the illness played a role in the benching ? If not, there could be a another reason that the coaches havnt revealed to the public, about a good (and temporary) reason they benched him. He said himself the team didn't give him a reason. It just may be they were looking for a spark or any change or something fresh to experiment with, due to the defense as a whole having slumped for many games now.
Now if they continue to bench him, I will be convinced. But right now, like I said, I feel like it's another case of a player over-reacting. I know we have SDH ready to step up, but it would make more sense to keep Brown, and let SDH take Foster's spot.
And besides, what on earth could Brown have done, to fall out of favor with the coaches ? I don't know of anything. I could be missing something in the story though. If so, please fill me in.

Last edited:
Zach Brown at a $5.5M cap hit for being a platoon player is just not good value for Washington.

He can't cover worth a lick and to have to have Josh Harvey Clemons or another player have to pace snaps with him on defense is great if we are talking about a platoon where they are either both on rookie contracts or working for a smaller base with incentives.

But paying him as much as we are is a waste of cap resources.

As is paying Josh Norman $18M.

I don't buy the argument 'well, we have to keep Josh because we don't have anyone else'..............

Right! So find someone else that is younger and cheaper!

Or if they are going to be a significant investment make sure they are truly a top 5 player and not just a one year trick Charley.

I am sick and tired of seeing this team buy high and sell low on these guys.

Notice that last year Zach Brown came back here because he really didn't get any serious offers in free agency, or he would have been gone.

In a lot of cases the Redskins are negotiating against themselves for these players.

Zach Brown at a $5.5M cap hit for being a platoon player is just not good value for Washington.

He can't cover worth a lick and to have to have Josh Harvey Clemons or another player have to pace snaps with him on defense is great if we are talking about a platoon where they are either both on rookie contracts or working for a smaller base with incentives.

But paying him as much as we are is a waste of cap resources.

As is paying Josh Norman $18M.

I don't buy the argument 'well, we have to keep Josh because we don't have anyone else'..............

Right! So find someone else that is younger and cheaper!

Or if they are going to be a significant investment make sure they are truly a top 5 player and not just a one year trick Charley.

I am sick and tired of seeing this team buy high and sell low on these guys.

Notice that last year Zach Brown came back here because he really didn't get any serious offers in free agency, or he would have been gone.

In a lot of cases the Redskins are negotiating against themselves for these players.

I agree with everything you have said here.
I know one player that teams will be looking at in next year's draft is Devin White lb from LSU.
We have to give him a look too.

if we move to the 4-3 or keep the 3-4, we are going to need a new set of linebackers.

ILB's Brown and Foster can't cover and on the outside Kerrigan and Smith are simply not consistent, productive edge rushers.

Nobody has mentioned it yet but perhaps a restructuring of Kerrigan's deal is in order as well.

He has slowed down noticeably from a couple of years ago. Remember even when he wasn't getting sacks he had some forced fumbles, tackles for loss or interceptions?

Now you hardly ever hear his number called.

if we move to the 4-3 or keep the 3-4, we are going to need a new set of linebackers.

ILB's Brown and Foster can't cover and on the outside Kerrigan and Smith are simply not consistent, productive edge rushers.

Nobody has mentioned it yet but perhaps a restructuring of Kerrigan's deal is in order as well.

He has slowed down noticeably from a couple of years ago. Remember even when he wasn't getting sacks he had some forced fumbles, tackles for loss or interceptions?

Now you hardly ever hear his number called.

Kerrigan is almost done. Makes me sad - because we have totally wasted his talent during his years here. Like almost every truly talented Redskin we've had over the past decade, his best years are behind him and he's got nothing in terms of a winning legacy to show for it. Trent Williams is right there with him. Sad.

I wouldn't say wasted Kerrigan's talent, no more than Samuel's ans Jansen, Fletcher etc. Bottom line those guys played hurt and played well, because they believed what the coach believed in....hard work, hard work, then you'll belong here...Gibbs 2 wasnt what we wanted the outcome to be but he brought out the best and pride of the Redskins, we've just had a bunch of paycheck players and coaches otherwise.....bring back GW, I'd rather have a dick then a limp dick and that's all we've had....you dont wanna be here, gfy, you want to see a rabid fan base, you have one if you actually play like you get paid, RFK wasnt filled with moguls, it was mongols that was our Sunday, this team has lost having a d***, it's sad, but it can be fixed, if we're all patient for a true rebuild...oh a f bruce Allen

If we move to the 4-3 there is some hope I would think that Kerrigan could be an effective DE. He came into the league at 265 and lost some weight to play OLB but he could play at 265 at DE and be more effective than he has been the past couple of years.

I agree on Trent Williams. He is the one unquestioned 'A' player we have had on this team and while we have done right by him in paying him a salary commensurate with his talent we never gave him an offensive unit where he could showcase what he can do.

Imagine if he had Clinton Portis running behind him all these years. Imagine if we had a Santana Moss or a Gary Clark at WR to get down the field.................

Easier, fewer bytes consumed listing players the team will keep.

How Samaje Perine continues to survivev cuts as a healthy player on the inactive list is beyond me.

Once again, if a guy isn't good enough to get reps and be active in games to spell a 33 year old lead tailback then can't we find a player who can run the ball as well or better on the street if we need him?

We seem to have made that decision at quarterback, backups on the offensive line, backups at cornerback, etc.

Of all the positions where you need the least time to get up to speed with an offense and make a difference is at running back.

And from past history there seem to be more runners available off the street or another team's practice squad.

Heck, we could have signed a recently out of work back like Carlos Hyde to backup Peterson if necessary.

Again, Perine has shown us that he is challenged at the NFL level in terms of speed and quickness and in protecting the football.

I don't know that we are doing anything other than preventing admitting a mistake by keeping him on the roster as a stealth 'inactive' each week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.