• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Promote Tomsula or Gray to Defensive Coordinator

Brian Mitchell this past week said on WTEM that Manusky has consistently failed to get 100% performance out of this unit for the majority of the season. Part of that is running a loose ship and part of that is player assignments and failing to put players in the right spots.

For Christ sakes, no.

Let just this thing finish, and then fire everybody. Promoting someone now is a meaningless band aid of a gesture.

Either one. I am all for it.

The best thing we can do now is lose out. Keeping everyone in place assures that. The second the clock expires in the 4th quarter of the last game Allen and Gruden and every other coach needs to get the pink slip. I think Dan learned his lesson years ago canning Norv before the season was out. He caught a lot of shit for that and even though I don't think anyone would say anything if he did it now, I just don't think it's coming

Issue with canning someone mid-season is you get that “boost” game right after that may hurt the team's draft position... :yes:

Issue with canning someone mid-season is you get that “boost” game right after that may hurt the team's draft position... :yes:

I agree, but clearly this yeam has felt that it could win now. Or something. I was for the reboot when Kirk's contract as up, in fact I was excited about it. Snyder seems pretty satisfied with hovering around 8-8. The truth is, anyway, top draft picks alone only take you so far. If you can't consistently get value out of the draft, no matter where you are picking, you have a pretty short clock running on your ability to field a good team.

As for the OP and thread topic, though... I think there is some value in seeing if there's anyone on the staff who can do anything. Part of the issue is, you also want to get a good evaluation of your talent. If Manusky isn't putting them into a good enough position to evaluate that (or not getting them ready enough, or whatever you want to say)... then there is value in putting someone else in who may. Tomsula or Gray may be that person.

A team that thought they could win now... coached by a lousy staff run by a lousy FO. Bless their hearts.

Benching Montae Nicholson and trading for Dix was a move that blew up in the team's face.

Dix has contributed poor play and will be a free agent after the season.

Meanwhile Nicholson was a draft pick we invested time in and needed to give him the experience.

Not ONE playing down in 3 weeks?

Doesn't pass the smell test.

It would have made more sense to trade for a cornerback or a productive wide receiver.

A team that thought they could win now... coached by a lousy staff run by a lousy FO. Bless their hearts.

I too wish they would say they are rebuilding.
Instead of the splash free agent signing. Note to management, we are not 3 or 4 players away from competing for a championship.

My only issue with this is, it may benefit to see how the team responds to these guys now, as well as see if they know wtf they are doing. Rather than waiting until next year to promote one to HC and regretting it.

No where close. But this needs to start far above who coaches the D. We need either Lord Farquaad or the new GM to decide what type of team we want to be. We then need to decide what schemes we want to use and find coaches that know how to implement them. If Lord Farquaad doesn't get a GM in here that can do those basic things, nothing will change.

IF IF IF we can do those things above, we need to see who we can salvage from the current roster and what we can get for the cast offs. Personally, I'd kick anyone with huge salary cap implications to the curb. THat doesn't mean we can't keep some folks, IF they are willing to play ball on their contracts. Since next year sucks for the draft at QB, we need to find a middle of the road scrub for the next couple of years while we REBUILD.

It all depends on whether or not the danny wants to do what is necessary to build a proper football team after 20 years. If he's just happy getting his Fed Ex money, we're hosed until he dies.

Another Napoleon complex around here is not needed. :)

Which is kinda why I hope Josh McDaniels is not any any coach list we may or may not have for the off-season.

Which is kinda why I hope Josh McDaniels is not any any coach list we may or may not have for the off-season.

I threw up a bit in my mouth.

My solace is JMac is too expensive for Danny's coach tastes these days, perhaps.

We just went out and made a splash by trading for Alex Smith........................

While I wish Alex the best in his recovery, trading for a 34 year old player has its inherent risks.

But it just seems to be in the Snyder DNA to get impulsive and try to get it all back (a quarterback) with one throw of the dice.

Instead in a year where there were a number of legit qb prospects in the draft we decided we had a very good team and were only one player away from winning.

Winning what I don't know.

I didn't have this team marked down for a 14-2 season even if Smith had remained healthy AND played the way he did last year in Kansas City.

And if you are talking about improving from 7-9 to a 10-6 type team with 30 something additions, that's not really sustainable.

The goal should be to put together a championship team.

That takes time and a lot of correct decisions being made by the front office including when to practice IMPULSE CONTROL and not go for the quick fix but look at the long game.

I think there are a gazillion things to criticize Snyder & Allen for, but don't believe signing Alex Smith should be one of them. That was an ‘anti-splash' move if ever there was one. We may have overpaid, but he was probably the most solid bet QB available and as far as replacing Kirk without starting over at the position I don't get why that was an irresponsible move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a good move, Boone. But because it didn't work out to the expectations of some internet GM's, it's panned as just another bad move by Allen. If it worked out well, then it would have been panned as just shit house luck.

Actually, when I look at this team the majority of talent is on the defensive side of the ball. We need to rebuild the offense from scratch.

I would go out and find a defensive head coach that can get the defense up and running with a couple of additions and then have him hire a top offensive coordinator to totally junk the system we are running and install a system that fits the players we keep and the new draft picks and free agents that join the team in 2019.

On defense, I think the Alabama players like Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne can be anchors for the new coach to lean on based on their experience with quality programs and coaching. These guys aren't used to losing and Allen already addressed team 'effort' earlier in the season.

The bottom line on offense has to be productivity. You can't continue to hold the offense hostage to the health of Jordan Reed and Chris Thompson and the anticipated breakout of Josh Doctson.

We can keep Doctson for another year at a reasonable rate before fishing or cutting bait on his option but Reed and Thompson need to go unless they are willing to restructure towards a team friendly cap hit moving forward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.