• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Rebirth of RFK? No Thanks.

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
So - Snyder trying to work a provision funding a new 'RFK' stadium into Trump/Republicans spending bill...

https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...s-try-and-get-new-stadium-rfk-location-report

But here are my thoughts. Firstly - Eff DC... lead by the same group of clowns who've been trying to get our team's name changed for a decade running. They don't deserve to have the team imho.

Secondly - it's Virginia's chance to host the team. We've had stadiums in DC and now in Maryland. Virginia holds at least as many Skins fans as those 2 areas combined, but have had to drive long distances to see their team play for decades. It's time Virginia Skins fans got the chance to have a stadium within their own state lines.

Thirdly - if this somehow goes through - the Redskins won't be 'returning to RFK'. The Redskins 'return to RFK' is being touted all over the place, from the linked article above, to countless idiot Twitter posts. RFK is gone forever and, aside from the glory that happened to occur there during the first Gibbs era, was a shithole. There may be a stadium built on that property, but what that might have to do with RFK escapes me? Gibbs is gone. Riggo and Monk are gone. And a 50,000 seat stadium rocking up and down like it's going to fall down at any moment - it's all gone, gone, gone.

Snyder needs to tell DC to eff off. He needs to build a smaller, domed, state of the art, loud as hell stadium in Virginia. He needs to include Metro stops right at the front door of the stadium, and incredibly easy highway access to and from. Fielding a consistent winner would be an added bonus, if he can manage that after 20+ years of ineptitude and mediocrity.

Most importantly, he needs to stop co-opting past glories in order to distract from a woeful present and recent past. Daniel Snyder will never, ever recapture the glory of RFK. That gloried past is as dead as respect for DC and the Federal Government itself.

If you want to build something, you break new ground. We don't need a new RFK. We don't need to hire a bunch of former Redskins greats. We don't need to hear about your Redskins belt buckle or love for Pat Fisher. Mr. Snyder - you had zero to do with a gloried Redskins past. All you've done is make those wonderful memories a distant surreal dream since filled with misery. It's time you stopped exploiting things you had nothing to do with and hold yourself accountable for your own achievements.

Do something. Build something. And this time, do it ****ing right.

That's what I think anyway.

Last edited:
Don't live in the area any longer but I would stay the hell away from D.C.

The pc police would be non friggin stop once moved in. Are there any towns tossed around as a Virginia stadium site?

Don't live in the area any longer but I would stay the hell away from D.C.

The pc police would be non friggin stop once moved in. Are there any towns tossed around as a Virginia stadium site?

I'm just going my what I read on Twitter today (so it may not be accurate), but my understanding is that the Amazon center that is going up in Virginia is being built on what most felt was the most likely spot for a new Skins stadium (believe that may be out near Dulles?). Also hearing that the new Governor of Virginia (Northam) is not nearly as hot and heavy about doing a deal with the Redskins as was his predecessor.

Sounds like re-doing RFK or building a stadium at National Harbor in Maryland are the current top 2 possibilities. I would much prefer the Harbor location as that is a seriously happening area with lots of great businesses and venues. I haven't been near the RFK property in years, but it was always a black hole and I'd be surprised if that's changed.

The Harbor area would be a beautiful setting for a new stadium if that's the only other option to RFK imho.

I'm with Boone: Screw you DC!

If this happens, the team will be hounded day and night to change the name. Why in the hell would you want to hear that noise everyday?

And what's up with VA not so hot on wanting the Redskins in their state? Hatred for Snyder? On field product not attractive enough? Or worried about the funding?

Would love to see the team build in VA. Hope it happens.

There is only one location that would serve all 3 areas. DC is a logistical nightmare...i would never attend another game if it were there. There is nowhere in Nova that could serve anywhere but Nova.

Oxon Hill Farms is the only place that should be considered, but Dan is selling his house, so my guess is VA it is.

It's going to be hard to find a location with a Redskins fan base, as fast as it's eroding.......

If this happens, it might be the most Snyder thing ever. RFK wasn't special because of where it was. RFK was special because the team WON! Stadiums obviously weren't what they are now, so I'm not going to talk about luxury boxes and amenities and nice seats, etc. It was like a lot of other stadiums in that regard, except for the fact that it was really a baseball stadium. But just putting a stadium back in that location because you think there is some magic there would be ludicrous.

Not to mention the city government hates the name as Boone mentioned and if it's paid for using federal funds, you will bring in a whole lot of people that will be pressuring the team since it was "their money". If I remember correctly, they were very adamant about the name change. Then they realized how much money they would get from having a stadium and they changed their tune. I suspect that once the team is moved back to DC, they will start holding the team hostage to make them change the name. That will be lots of fun to deal with for the next 30 years. It sounds like they missed their window to put the team in Ashburn. And now with a new governor they may not get to put it there. That's one thing about these deals with governments. The leadership changes all the time and what you think you have one year may not be what you have the next.

They are going to have to find a location that works. I don't think there is anything you can do about the traffic situation. It's a mess no matter where you put it and even if you put it in VA or MD, it needs to be relatively close to the city. Having the Metro near will be great, but that can't be the overriding factor. It's just sad that a new stadium could be the most exciting thing to look forward to as a Redskins fan. But I know that Snyder will somehow mess this up.

I wish Snyder would take Bruce Allen and move to Fiji.

well...who really cares? moving the team won't change the outcome for reasons we all know.

Not to be too ironic, but instead of being offended by the name you might now see some activists who now want to see the name changed because they don't want to be identified with such a lousy sports franchise.

Not to be too ironic, but instead of being offended by the name you might now see some activists who now want to see the name changed because they don't want to be identified with such a lousy sports franchise.

Already happening.

On Twitter,some so-called "fans" want the name changed because they think it's one of the reasons why we suck.

Ignorance abounds on the twitterverse.......

I'm just going my what I read on Twitter today (so it may not be accurate), but my understanding is that the Amazon center that is going up in Virginia is being built on what most felt was the most likely spot for a new Skins stadium (believe that may be out near Dulles?). Also hearing that the new Governor of Virginia (Northam) is not nearly as hot and heavy about doing a deal with the Redskins as was his predecessor.

Sounds like re-doing RFK or building a stadium at National Harbor in Maryland are the current top 2 possibilities. I would much prefer the Harbor location as that is a seriously happening area with lots of great businesses and venues. I haven't been near the RFK property in years, but it was always a black hole and I'd be surprised if that's changed.

The Harbor area would be a beautiful setting for a new stadium if that's the only other option to RFK imho.

Also be more easily accessible to VA fans. If it can't be in VA, this is the next best option.

Snyder sold his home in Bethesda. He sold off all of his radio stations and media interests.

What is that leading up to? Simply trading asset around or preview of a major move.

Snyder paid $800M for the Redskins and FEDEX gave him $200M for the naming rights to the stadium.

The franchise is now worth $2.5 billion.

Snyder could sell the team and walk away with an incredible payout.

Snyder sold his home in Bethesda. He sold off all of his radio stations and media interests.

What is that leading up to? Simply trading asset around or preview of a major move.

Snyder paid $800M for the Redskins and FEDEX gave him $200M for the naming rights to the stadium.

The franchise is now worth $2.5 billion.

Snyder could sell the team and walk away with an incredible payout.

I actually dreamt last night that me and a couple buddies stole the Skins super bowl trophies and painted them camouflage. Snyder tracked us down though. Weird thing was, he was very nice about it ...lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'he was nice about it'.................from that I know you were dreaming :3some:

Actually, looks like the Gov here in Maryland is taking steps to secure the location next to MGM I have been talking about for 5 years now, Oxon Hill Farms. I can't find the source, but legislation is in the works to clear the way.

RFK does not have the infrastructure to get people in and out, only the ease of public transportation. 295 could never handle the flow of traffic a new 70k seat stadium would create.

The spending bill workng its way through Congress has a provision to fund a stadium in DC: taxpayers screwed again!

Can't wait for a stadium near National Harbor: Wilson Bridge is such a pleasure to cross now! But, at the very least, it would provide Skins fans an easy/permanent escape from the expected continuation of FO/football mediocrity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.