• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 11/28/18: Colt McCoy

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
November 28, 2018

QB Colt McCoy

On using the Dallas game to prepare for the Philadelphia Eagles:
"Takeaways from the Cowboys game, whenever you lose, it's always tough. Losing in the division is even tougher, so there was a lot to clean up there but a lot to learn and moving forward to the Eagles now. We've watched that tape, kind of put it to bed and thankful to have a little bit of extra time to prepare for these guys a couple extra days, so I could use it all."

On what he's seen from WR Josh Doctson to project him as a great wide receiver:
"Yeah, I think Josh is doing some really great things. I think I've just got to continue to trust him and get him the ball when I can and let him go make plays. He has battled through some stuff early in his career but he's really been working hard and hadn't missed any practices. He stayed healthy and he's willing and eager to get better and better so I think for us and our team, that's obviously a good thing. We'll definitely try to keep getting him the rock maybe a little bit more and hopefully he can make some more plays."

On if he's talked to the receivers about specific throws:
"Yeah, I think so. I think I also have to be smart about it, but at the same time, I think these guys have the ability to make plays. In our offense and what we do, we need some explosive plays and giving these guys an opportunity down the field – here and there – to come down with the ball on a 50-50 throw. I think we certainly can continue to improve on that, work on that, so yeah we've talked about it."

On if a week of practice helps with timing with receivers:
"I don't know exactly. I think more so for me. I just really need to focus on our game plan and what the Eagles are going to do against us. When those opportunities present themselves, for me, being able to make that split second quick decision of, '…is this a chance I want to take here, or is it not? Do I trust this guy or do I not?' I think throughout this week – I mean it's really short – but hopefully there will be enough times where I can get myself in that position and be able to make a good decision."

On finding the balance between being aggressive and staying cautious:
"I think for me, turnovers are going to lose you games and so being smart with the football – number one – is of the upmost importance. I think going from there, it's an understanding of what we're trying to accomplish. What were we designing on this play? Where is the ball designed to go here, now let's make sure that happens. But if they change up the coverage or do something different, which I'm sure [they will], Coach [Jim] Schwartz is a great coach, great defensive coordinator, I'm sure he's going to throw looks at me that I have probably not seen. So, when those things happen, I just have to be able to be smart and take care of the football."

On the differences between the game and his film review of the game:
"I thought there were certainly areas that I needed to clean up. From an operational standpoint, I was actually kind of pleased; just with how it went, not being out there for four years. There are also some things where I see things pretty quickly and then just being able for me to stay in rhythm, even though I kind of know what's going on already, as opposed to, 'Oh I see it, I want to make it happen right now and just do it.' I think just relaxing, communicating my calls and making the checks, the things I need to do at the line of scrimmage and just executing. Not having to do too much. Hopefully, we can get our run game going, that would be huge, then just understanding our approach to the game this week. What's our philosophy this week? How are we going to handle situations; be good on third downs and take care of the football is key for me."

On how often he can stick with a play versus improvising:
"I think for me, I want to execute like we're supposed to, unless something breaks down. I don't want to just take the snap and go try to make something happen – which I don't think I did that too many times the other night – I 've been here long enough to understand what we want to do and what we're trying to do. I think this week will really help me, really help the receivers get a feel for me, but at the end of the day it's not about me. It's about us. It's our team and it's us as a group going out and executing a game plan against the defending Super Bowl champs. On the road, on Monday night, that's not an easy task. We know them, they are in our division and we've got to be on our P's and Q's if we want to come out like we want. So this week is huge, I think focus is the key for all of us and hopefully we'll have a good week of practice."

On his impressions of WR Trey Quinn:
"Trey is doing great. He's still battling his ankle injury a little bit but he's tough. He's a competitor. He's just real savvy. He plays in the slot so he understands defense and leverages. He's a pretty friendly target, so the more work I can get with him the better."

On if he developed a bond with Quinn from time with the scout team and what jumped out at him:
"Yeah, I did get to work with Trey quite a bit in the offseason as he was the second team slot guy. I would throw with him and work with him and kind of teach him how I see the coverage. Trey does a nice job of not just running the route that's drawn on paper. He does a great job of winning his route and understanding soft spots in zone defenses or how to use his leverage in man coverage. You can just tell that Trey has played a lot inside and he has a pretty good feel for what's going on, a lot like Jamison [Crowder]. My best advice to him early on was, 'Dude you've got one of the best slot guys in the game, why don't you watch him, watch Crowder.' So, he does a pretty good job. Trey always wants to learn. He's eager to get better and I'm thankful that he was able to come back off his injury from earlier in the season."

On if he has been challenged by the coaches:
"Yeah, all the time, I mean, the coaches were challenging me when I was on the practice squad but there's a lot of ways to be better. I think communication. I think my ability to just play comfortable in the pocket and then you've got to see coverage. I've been on the sidelines but we've played Philly a lot and you watch their tape over the last three or four weeks, they can play pretty much anything. They can play man. They can play zone. They can heat you up at times; you've always got to be prepared for that. As a quarterback, this is not an easy week to prepare for a defense that can do it all. They've got really good players up front, so for me, really just being detailed and practices will be important for me and then just going out an executing on Monday night."

On if he knew RB Adrian Peterson at all before this year and what it's been like to work with him:
"I did know AP, but not like on a, 'Hey we're boys kind of thing [Laughter].' He went to OU [Oklahoma] played against him a couple of times there. He is from Texas so I had met him a few times here and there but he's been outstanding. He's also battled through some injuries too. He's a tough guy. Hopefully we can get him going early this week; that would be good for everybody."

On his comfort level with TE Jordan Reed and his overall importance:
"Yeah, he's a huge part of what we do. I mean, he and Vernon [Davis] have really done a nice job in what we've asked them to do. Jordan I think is really good when people try and play him in man coverage and I just have to continue to know where he's at. He helps us out a lot. He's smart. He's sharp in his route running ability and he's a good player. Always knowing that he's out on the field, I think that really helps our offense."

On what RB Chris Thompson will do for the offense when he's back:
"Yeah, I think we all know the amount of plays that C.T. has made last year and throughout his career. He's great in protection, first of all. I just think it would be a boost for everybody. I think if we could get him the ball and get him in space, he can create and do things that a lot of people can't. He would be a big difference maker for us."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 'what it would take for Josh Doctson to be a great wide receiver'........? :lipsrsealed2:

How about an Act of God/bolt of lightning that turns him into a real world Spiderman that simply CAN'T drop a pass that is thrown to him :laugh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.