• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Claim Rights to LB Reuben Foster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
November 27, 2018

STATEMENT BY WASHINGTON REDSKINS
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT OF PLAYER PERSONNEL DOUG WILLAMS:

"Today we have claimed the rights to LB Reuben Foster. The Redskins fully understand the severity of the recent allegations made against Reuben. If true, you can be sure these allegations are nothing our organization would ever condone. Let me be clear, Reuben will have to go through numerous steps including the full legal process, an investigation and potential discipline from the NFL, as well as meetings with counselors associated with the team before he will ever have the opportunity to wear the Burgundy and Gold as a player. That being said, we decided to investigate the situation with Reuben further by claiming his rights after candid conversations with a number of his ex-Alabama teammates and current Redskins players who were overwhelmingly supportive of us taking this chance. Nothing is promised to Reuben, but we are hopeful being around so many of his former teammates and friends will eventually provide him with the best possible environment to succeed both personally and professionally."

-REDSKINS-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly the kind of move Belichick would make.

Only a few of these at risk players manage to turn it around 100% (see Aldon Smith for repeated lapses), but when they do the club can really benefit along with the player.

Except Belichick didn't make this move. This kid was a problem under Saban, Saban knew he'd be a problem as a pro and he was exactly that even before his draft. I'd put his odds of actually playing a single snap at 50%, much less thriving here.

What's the downside?

If the guys girlfriend is making the whole thing up (no idea what the facts or even all the allegations here are) as she reportedly did the first go round, we may be getting a big talent for nothing. I don't know about his past problems, but our defensive coaching staff seem pretty hard corps - maybe they can get his mind in the right place.

If he is guilty or has future problems - release him.

Honestly - the Redskins never make these kinds of moves. If it works out, great. If not, no loss.

Great signing.

If he's found guilty then cut him. If not, we just got an elite talent for nothing on a cheap rookie contract.

Not sure how i feel about this yet, kid is quick and seems a pretty sure tackler.

Again, this is not the first time the Redskins have signed a troubled player.

To put this in perspective there have been teams like Washington that have signed players in the past who were responsible for the DEATH of another human being.

This guy is going to have to pay the price but is not irredeemable.

I say until the man is found guilty, give the FO some credit for consulting his past Alabama teammates and current Redskins' teammates... hope to see you found not guilty and acquitted of all alleged charges and you're wearing our beloved burgundy and gold.

HTTR

He definitely brings more to the table than Butt-Fumble does.

Hope it works out good for us.

Again, this is not the first time the Redskins have signed a troubled player.

That's not what I would call a ringing endorsement. The Redskins aren't exactly the model of wisdom and wonder.

This is a PR fire the Redskins don't really need. They clearly think "hey, we've got Alabama players and he's from Alabama! Wheee!"

I hope it works out, but I think the Redskins jumped into something they didn't need to because they've got stars in their eyes. Definitely wouldn't be the first time.

And let me add here when I say "I hope it works out" what I mean is "I hope he didn't actually do it" because the part that really stood out to me in the prepared statement was "potential discipline from the NFL, as well as meetings with counselors associated with the team".

In other words, even if he did it, we don't care. We'll keep the guy after he's served some suspension of some kind and talks to some counselors or something. Apparently the Redskins ... the REDSKINS ... think they have The Secret Sauce that will turn this guy around ("after candid conversations with a number of his ex-Alabama teammates and current Redskins players who were overwhelmingly supportive of us taking this chance.")

I just want to say for the record here that I don't care what Foster's college buddies think of him. I do not want men who beat women on my team. I am not interested in rooting for a team like that, or watching a league like that. I took a whole year off after Ray Rice got two games for dragging his girlfriend's limp body out of an elevator. The Redskins and the NFL are already on really thin ice with me. I'll be more than happy to switch to the Wizards, right now, if this turns into a cluster****.

Last edited:
I think the fair-minded thing to do is wait and see what the facts prove to be. The team does not (Bulldog post aside) have a history of signing criminals so they will get the benefit of the doubt from me until otherwise warranted.

And hopefully goes without saying - if he's really a domestic abuser, what Henry said!

I think the fair-minded thing to do is wait and see what the facts prove to be. The team does not (Bulldog post aside) have a history of signing criminals so they will get the benefit of the doubt from me until otherwise warranted.

Boone, you are a fair-minded guy, and I respect the hell out of you. Your patience and diligence are something I envy ... on top of that you're damn sexy.

But in my opinion, the fair-minded thing to do is wait and see what the facts prove to be before associating the team with a guy like that. This is not 'no risk.' The Redskins are already only filling up half the stadium every week. And now we get to read articles like this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...s-reuben-foster-domestic-violence/2132119002/

and this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/garyph...-team-claim-rueben-foster-49ers/#350fafda338e

and this:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...bout-reuben-foster-and-it-wasnt-the-redskins/ (This one is especially damning for those who think we should try and gather all the facts together before making any judgements.)

and this:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...n-foster-was-smart-football-move-bad-decision

... and now my Google arm is tired, but I think you get the point. We ain't the Steelers or the Patriots. We don't exactly have a stellar reputation, our fanbase is weary, and frankly, we don't need this ****. The worst part is this was totally unnecessary. Do we even need a linebacker right now?

Last edited:
Will read those when I get home - and I admittedly haven't kept up with this guy and whatever noise is out there in him. I can respect what you're saying...

Boone, do you put my post off to the side because it is untrue, off point or because it in fact points up the Redskins have taken on troubled players in the past?

Someone today had to remind me that Adrian Peterson had pleaded in the child abuse case when he was in Minnesota.

So there is a more current case of considering players with question marks.

Boone, do you put my post off to the side because it is untrue, off point or because it in fact points up the Redskins have taken on troubled players in the past?

Someone today had to remind me that Adrian Peterson had pleaded in the child abuse case when he was in Minnesota.

So there is a more current case of considering players with question marks.

No brother, that's not my intention at all. I think examples you gave are largely distant ones spread over a 20 year period. We have not brought in lots of criminals, we have even elected to avoid bringing in controversial players like Suh in recent memory. In fact, one of the few things I would laud the current Redskins front office for is generally avoiding these kinds of controversies.
I don't include Adrian Peterson in this discussion only because the general consensus with NFL teams when he was available was that he did not have this kind of baggage currently traveling along with him. Everyone assumed the child brutality stuff was a resolved issue imho. Teams did not pick him up because they assumed he was physically washed up, not because there was still some lingering doubts about his child rearing techniques.

What's the downside?

If the guys girlfriend is making the whole thing up (no idea what the facts or even all the allegations here are) as she reportedly did the first go round, we may be getting a big talent for nothing. I don't know about his past problems, but our defensive coaching staff seem pretty hard corps - maybe they can get his mind in the right place.

If he is guilty or has future problems - release him.

Honestly - the Redskins never make these kinds of moves. If it works out, great. If not, no loss.

Situation reminds me a lot of Gallette.
He had a similar knock against him before coming here, and also his accusations apparently seemed exaggerated or untrue.
Quite a few parallels on and off the field with the 2.
And speaking of Gallette, I think this pretty much confirms we will never ever bring him back under any circumstance.
I know we should never say never...but...it's as close as it gets.

He definitely brings more to the table than Butt-Fumble does.

Yes, quite the opposite contrast indeed, in more ways than one.
For example, our hope is for him to create butt-fumbles on the opponent's side.
In fact, by now, shouldn't there be a statistic for this....

Fumbles Forced
Butt-Fumbles Forced
Fumbles Reovered
Butt-Fumbles Recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.