• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 11/26/18: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
November 26, 2018

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On RB Chris Thompson:
"He took some reps today which was obviously encouraging and then we'll see how he does on Wednesday. They have another day off tomorrow and then we'll see how he does Wednesday. It's just a matter of how sore he is and how he can protect it."

On T Trent Williams:
"He was cleared and he practiced today."

On issues addressed during a bonus day:
"Well, we did a nice long session of individual work, then we did some first-and-10, ran some plays, some situational stuff, third down, two-minute, a little bit of red zone, so we got some quality work in with Colt [McCoy] calling the plays and running our base offense – just a little refresher course, so to speak."

On injuries to TE Jordan Reed, CB Quinton Dunbar and DE Matt Ioannidis:
"Yeah, well Wednesday when we have to do the injury report, but [Quinton] Dunbar didn't do anything today. Who else, Reed? Reed's just a little sore, got a little bruise, and then [Morgan] Moses same thing, a little ankle irritation and [Matt] Ioannidis, calf, he was held out today."

On how much improvement he expects from QB Colt McCoy:
"Yeah, hopefully a lot, like I said before, he has not taken a rep with the ones. I don't even know if he took any in OTA's to be honest with you. I think we were trying to get Alex [Smith] ready to go and he took them all in OTA's and training camp. It's just good for him to get all the reps, to get the lion's share – that is just something he's never had. I expect improvement, but still, it's not a lot of time to get ready, a week for a game, but I think he will. I think he feels pretty comfortable in what we're doing. We'll give him plays that he's comfortable with and understands and can rep and go from there."

On focusing on mistakes made or helps the offense the offense improve:
"I think we've just got to be more efficient. We had a couple of penalties, stupid penalties and a couple of conversions that we didn't convert on, whether they were holding or what have you, but we've got to be more efficient without a doubt. I thought him [Colt McCoy] handling the snaps counts and protections, I thought he was very good. I thought he moved around in the pocket very good, avoiding trouble. But, there are times when he gets outside the pocket where he has to understand that the ball is very, very important and he can't force the issue sometimes. He's such a competitor, he sometimes forces the issue from time to time and we've just got to rein him in a little bit there, but I was impressed with the way he competed and played."

On if there were immediate differences from McCoy in practice:
"I think the big difference with Colt is if I can just see right from today, he likes to get the ball out of his hands a little bit quicker, so receivers have just got to be aware that the ball is coming out and they have to understand that if the defensive back is high on top of them he might throw a back shoulder to him and it's going to be in the air. We've got to get our guys head's around little quicker, he's going to give you more opportunity type balls for the receivers that come down whether it's tight ends or backs, but for the most part, that's the biggest difference. But I think getting to know the guys and the guys getting to know him and when the ball is coming, will be a huge help."

On the running game and getting it going:
"Well we can do a lot of things better. Up front, we can do a lot better, obviously tight ends, receivers, backs, I think everybody can improve a little bit and I've got to do a better job of probably sticking with it. Maybe giving them more opportunities, we started out trying a couple of passes early. Had third down and one or a long two and I probably should have run it there. We threw a pass and it was incomplete, so the first three plays I didn't really give our offensive line a chance to come off the ball and be physical. That's something that we have to get back to; more of a physical brand of football. It's going to be difficult, this is front is very good with Fletcher Cox, Michael Bennett, Chris Long, Brandon Graham and [Tim] Jernigan and [Haloti] Ngata, so it's not an easy front to run against. But, it is something that we are going to have to try to do to make sure we stay on course and stay balanced."

On if he's noticed a pattern of scoring on offense, then giving up a touchdown immediately:
"Yeah, that's happen a couple of times. We took a lead against Houston and they came right down and kicked a field goal and took the lead right back. We took the lead against Dallas and they had a 40-yard touchdown and then the 90-yard touchdown back-to-back. We haven't had a lot of lead changes up until the last couple of weeks. We've played with the lead or we've played behind and stayed behind, or stayed in the lead, but the last couple of weeks, we got the lead, got the momentum back a little bit then relinquished it too quick. So that is something we have to make sure we try to do a better job of."

On if he was able to find comfortable plays for McCoy before Dallas or if this week is needed:
"We need it and I think when you have a whole week to really study your opponent and study the game plan of why we are putting plays in, I think he'll be a little more comfortable. But, the big thing is to make sure that he is more comfortable in the pocket and that starts with protection. We've got to do a better job protecting and giving him plays that he knows and can execute fairly easy. We have a lot of them, he's executed a lot of them throughout the four years that he's been here, or however long he's been here and I think we can do that, but now we just have to play well around him, we have to play better around him – everybody, offensive line, tight ends, receivers, everybody."

On the amount of teams clustered around 6-5:
"I think there's parity, without a doubt. Every team has talent on their football team and a lot of these games are coming down to one or two plays. You take out a couple of plays, could be a unique call that we didn't hit, a hold, a P.I., or what have you, but for the most part, it's coming down to the team that can make plays in critical times. Dallas made them, Houston made them and we failed to make them. We understand that the last five games, we've got Philly twice, I think Tennessee, the Giants and Jacksonville – these teams all have good players and it's going to come down to who can make the plays in critical situations, who can protect the ball and who can get the ball out. They forced three turnovers, we didn't get any last week. We know what that record usually is for the team that doesn't get any and gives three away, so we have to protect the ball and play better situational football."

On if the parity is an opportunity for the team:
"Oh, no doubt. I think when you look at the players on paper, I think we feel good about competing with anybody. Now we've just got to go out and execute and play hard and play smart. I think we've got to go back to playing very smart football. There's a few plays in that game where we didn't play very smart and that's a reflection on the coaching staff, so we've got to make sure our guys are ready to go and understand exactly what coverage we're playing, why we're playing it, where the holes are. Offensively, we've got to make sure we know the snap count, know our protections, the route combinations, the depths, the splits, all that stuff. We've got to be honed in because if you're not, you'll get taken advantage of."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Dunbar didn't do anything today'.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect so. At the end of the Dallas game on Thanksgiving I saw Dunbar limping off the field towards the locker room.

It was clear earlier in the contest that Dunbar simply didn't have the footspeed with the heel to keep up in coverage.

How we saw that and still assigned him to covering Cooper is beyond me.

Talk about a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.