• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Poll: At this point in the season, what is our final record?

Final record after reaching 6-5

• 6-10

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 7-9

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 8-8

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 9-7

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 10-6

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I had no problem with Alex. And some may remember before the trade for him, I was fine going with Colt. So, no hate from me there, either.

Gruden, however, got his ass kicked by a 200yr old D Coordinator in Dallas. No surprise there.

I hate being negative during an active season. I really, really do.
But, as I believed coming into this season, Gruden, is our weakest link. I think we have more talent here than many seem to think we do. Gruden gets 18 miles per gallon in a vehicle capable of 24, far too often.

I still hope, cause that's all I can do. Sure, we can win every game. We can also lose every one. If Gruden guesses right with his "Plan A's", we're money. If not, there is no plan B.

Ever.

I called for Gruden to be fired after last season, we agree he is the weak link and the team needs to head another direction in the off-season. However, our schedule wreaks of a run...games where Gruden simply can't screw it up because of his inability to adjust to the other team, his lack of clock management skills, and his propensity to get away from what is working.

Unfortunately, we're going to have to rely less on Peterson as the season wears on...he has lost a step, and that will affect his ability to hit the holes he sees. It's his vision that has gotten him through the last 3 games as he appears to wear thinner and thinner. I think McCoy can win games where Smith was just managing them.

I just can't see us losing more than 2 more games.

Edit: And what the heck did you do to yourself in FF? Were you still hunting Thanksgiving Day that you couldn't get your QB changed?

They need to split carries between Bibbs (or CT if he comes back) and AP.

I had no problem with Alex. And some may remember before the trade for him, I was fine going with Colt. So, no hate from me there, either.

Gruden, however, got his ass kicked by a 200yr old D Coordinator in Dallas. No surprise there.

I hate being negative during an active season. I really, really do.
But, as I believed coming into this season, Gruden, is our weakest link. I think we have more talent here than many seem to think we do. Gruden gets 18 miles per gallon in a vehicle capable of 24, far too often.

I still hope, cause that's all I can do. Sure, we can win every game. We can also lose every one. If Gruden guesses right with his "Plan A's", we're money. If not, there is no plan B.

Ever.

I'm not defending Gruden. In the NFL, as someone smart once said 'you are what your record says you are'. And Gruden's record has been average. But NFL fans always seem to think the talent is better than it is. Whether you buy into the injury factor or not (and frankly, those rejecting that as a major factor just aren't logical), the players we are putting out there on the field, particularly at skill positions, are backup quality.

Many are predicting Gruden gets fired if the team doesn't get to the playoffs. If he somehow manages not only to get there, but to win the division, he should be coach of the year.

I swear every time Jay gets away from the run when it's working, I imagine him saying this to the staff when they ask to run the ball or blitz...

I called for Gruden to be fired after last season
Me too.
we agree he is the weak link and the team needs to head another direction in the off-season. However, our schedule wreaks of a run...games where Gruden simply can't screw it up because of his inability to adjust to the other team, his lack of clock management skills, and his propensity to get away from what is working.
I wish I saw the weakness in our schedule that you do. I'll prepare a shrine to you if it goes down like you've said.

Unfortunately, we're going to have to rely less on Peterson as the season wears on...he has lost a step, and that will affect his ability to hit the holes he sees. It's his vision that has gotten him through the last 3 games as he appears to wear thinner and thinner. I think McCoy can win games where Smith was just managing them.
I agree they're gonna need to go more to the pass. Which in turn , if successful, will pull a defender out of the box, allowing us to go back more to AP in the playoffs.
Bibbs too, as Boone said.
McCoy should look better in an offense he's been in for years. Not sure what the injury will ultimately do to Smith. But if he comes back and plays like it never happened, he's the better QB. But for right now, I love me some Colt.

I just can't see us losing more than 2 more games.
I have to come up with a name for the shrine.

Edit: And what the heck did you do to yourself in FF? Were you still hunting Thanksgiving Day that you couldn't get your QB changed?
Yeah. Only the second time in over 20yrs that I didn't get to see the Sunday game (**** DirecTV)
Didn't really think about FF. Smith going down was freakish. Could have happened to any QB.
Besides, the one place FF exactly mimics the NFL is......all you want to do is make the playoffs. Where anything can happen.

And, hunting is a priority.

I'm not defending Gruden. In the NFL, as someone smart once said 'you are what your record says you are'. And Gruden's record has been average. But NFL fans always seem to think the talent is better than it is. Whether you buy into the injury factor or not (and frankly, those rejecting that as a major factor just aren't logical), the players we are putting out there on the field, particularly at skill positions, are backup quality.
I do buy into the injury factor. Without a doubt it's a heavy burden on our success. But Gruden has struggled regardless of who's on the field. He could find a way to lose with an All Madden Team. I also would bet your life the Joe Gibbs, Vince Lombardi, and John Madden would get more out the same roster. Not provable. But I absolutely believe it.

Many are predicting Gruden gets fired if the team doesn't get to the playoffs. If he somehow manages not only to get there, but to win the division, he should be coach of the year.
Well, I won't predict it. But I'm all for firing him 2 minutes after the clock runs out on the last game of the season, if we don't make the playoffs. I do hope the only reason we make it isn't because everybody else chokes. (Yeah, I'll take it) Saving Gruden, unjustly. IMHO.

And if we do get there, and/or win the division to boot......I'll give him a "Good job earning the GED". And, See Sig.

Fecals, for sure.

And personally, I prefer TurdBirds, for the things in Baltimore.

I went with us winning 3 of the 5 down the straight.

I'm mostly pinning this belief on 3 things...

1) The schedule is winnable. The tougher games are behind us now.

2) Our Defense has to rebound eventually doesn't it? Early season they looked really solid, especially against the run. Last couple of games they've been terrible. If they can just bounce back to somewhere in between we'd be in good shape.

3) I think it was an unfair referendum on Colt last week to have him come in and play well on a short week and having not started for 4 years. And the Dallas pass rush is ferocious. I'm hoping we see him settle down into the starter role a bit over the next few weeks.

I do think that without the turnovers and with better tackling last week we could have won that game. We were right in it!

We absolutely have the ability on the team to win all five of these last games, I'm thinking we win 3 of them.

I have the Redskins finishing 7-9 or 8-8 now.

A lot of that has not to do with the schedule but how the coaches are scheming the players currently on the roster in light of the injuries the team has suffered and where the team continues to get exposed as a result of those injuries.

OFFENSE:

With Chris Thompson out of the lineup, the Redskins are down to a rotation of Peterson and Bibbs. The team obviously doesn't trust Perine or he wouldn't be inactive for weeks on end.

One would think that based on the offense's tendencies before Smith's injuries that with Colt we would now switch some things up.

How about THROWING the ball to Adrian Peterson on first down on a screen? How about RUSHING the ball with Bibbs on a couple of key intermediate yardage downs to move away from what is almost a given when looking at this team on film?

How about starting both Reed and Davis? A two tight end formation with say Bibbs lined up in the slot. Empty backfield.

Something to make defenses think. Right now the offense is very predictable, less so with Colt actually willing to throw down the field, but still very predictable as to what player is going to be asked to make what play.

The truth is with the offensive line injuries the Redskins are not going to be able to re-establish a dominant ground game as in the 5 early wins with Peterson at or over 100 yards.

This line as constituted is a better pass blocking than run blocking line. We have to recognize that.

DEFENSE:

The defense has been in decline since the Falcons game and the rub is that this unit compared to the offense and to other defenses around the NFL has been fairly healthy.

Stacy McGhee and Clinton Dix were added to the roster 2 weeks ago, so there is arguably MORE depth rather than LESS.

But once again, the 'roster management' issue comes up again in regards to how this unit is playing.

I agree with John Keim that Allen and Payne have seen too many reps and are wearing down. Manusky has to get Settle, McGhee into the lineup more to spell the starters.

Secondly, Ryan Kerrigan has slowed down. At 30 it was inevitable but Ryan is simply not covering as much ground as he used to.

In the quest to rush the passer instead of taking him out on long yardage downs, how about RUSHING Zach Brown from an inside position to get pressure up the middle?

With his speed I can't believe that he can't beat a center or running back to get into the backfield if the DL are staying engaged.

But we don't try that. We line up as we always do. And other teams know that and scheme for it.

Sometimes you are talented enough where it doesn't matter if the other team knows what's coming. Unfortunately, we aren't in that position in 2018 on offense or defense and need to use motion, stunts, unorthodox blitzes, and take some gambles to make plays.

I go back to that Falcons game. 38 points? 300 plus yards passing against?

Atlanta just got bent over by the Browns 28-16.

Atlanta is awful on defense and their OL is very average. The Redskins blowout loss to the Falcons was the first signal to me there was trouble ahead and that was before Smith went down.

Atlanta got yards for the same reason the Cowboys' Amari Cooper got yards on Thanksgiving.

Receivers are getting open because Quinton Dunbar is still hurt and favoring his heel and Strohman/Johnson are still quite raw.

But they are also getting open because the Redskins REFUSE to match Josh Norman up with the opponents' leading receivers.

Here the team is paying Norman $18M in 2018 and we see Dunbar out there on Amari Cooper with a still unfamiliar with the scheme Clinton Dix trying to figure out how to cover deep.

What a travesty.

The Cowboys had to be laughing and were most likely grateful.

Put an injured player and a guy that has been with the team for 10 days out there on the ONE legitimate receiving threat the Cowboys have.

Meanwhile, Josh Norman is on the other side covering rookie Michael Gallup, a player with some promise but a guy his own coaches still don't trust to throw to on third down or in critical situations.

To me you put NORMAN on Cooper and put Dunbar/Strohman on Gallup.

You also rotate in Montae Nicholson to play free safety while Dix gets up to speed.

If we aren't going to trust Josh Norman to cover the Cowboys' one receiving threat then we don't need to carry his $18M cap hit forward into 2019.

Cooper, while a solid player, is not among the 8-10 best receivers in the NFL.

Again, Dallas has no tight ends worth covering and their other starting wide receiver is as green as Strohman and Johnson.

So, if asked I am going to say 8-8 with some trepidation it could be 7-9.

My guess is the Redskins manage to beat the Giants at home in two weeks and then are able to beat Jacksonville, which looks as if they are imploding.

Although with Beckham and Barkley and this defense on the field that game against New York is no gimmee.

I am figuring that after a couple of decent outings that Eli Manning returns to his pre-retirement norm of missing down field receivers and throwing the ill-timed interception.

I do buy into the injury factor. Without a doubt it's a heavy burden on our success. But Gruden has struggled regardless of who's on the field. He could find a way to lose with an All Madden Team. I also would bet your life the Joe Gibbs, Vince Lombardi, and John Madden would get more out the same roster. Not provable. But I absolutely believe it.

Well, I won't predict it. But I'm all for firing him 2 minutes after the clock runs out on the last game of the season, if we don't make the playoffs. I do hope the only reason we make it isn't because everybody else chokes. (Yeah, I'll take it) Saving Gruden, unjustly. IMHO.

And if we do get there, and/or win the division to boot......I'll give him a "Good job earning the GED". And, See Sig.

Given the cap hole dug by the FO: firing Gruden would be doing him a favor! It's going to be a long two years after this season.

Given the cap hole dug by the FO: firing Gruden would be doing him a favor! It's going to be a long two years after this season.

It'll be long if Gruden is the coach. Unless he somehow has a light come on in his loser head over the next 5 weeks, he should be fired.

I believe a good coaching staff could get much better production out of this roster than the current group does.

Bottom line Gruden and Cavanaugh have not been very creative in using the players they have on the roster on offense.

And this was apparent in 2018 before the injuries hit.

With Smith healthy and Jordan Reed healthy, the tight end had fewer than 20 catches after how many games?

The team refused to start Reed and Davis together despite the fact they are in reality the offense's two best receivers.

In the backfield we kept Samaje Perine but have kept him inactive for weeks.

Why not look to acquire another back to run behind Peterson early in the season if it was obvious that Perine was not to be trusted and Thompson/Bibbs were looked at more as pass receivers than rushers?

And that is a point in and of itself.

We see the Cowboys use Elliott as a receiver, the Giants use Barkley, the Steelers use Conner, etc.

But the Redskins never use Peterson as a receiver.

The fact defenses don't have to account for him in the passing game at all is just one more favor we do each week.

We might also want to give Kapri Bibbs some additional carries from scrimmage.

Don't worry there will be 4 more opportunities to do so this season :)

Bottom line Gruden and Cavanaugh have not been very creative in using the players they have on the roster on offense.

And this was apparent in 2018 before the injuries hit.

With Smith healthy and Jordan Reed healthy, the tight end had fewer than 20 catches after how many games?

The team refused to start Reed and Davis together despite the fact they are in reality the offense's two best receivers.

In the backfield we kept Samaje Perine but have kept him inactive for weeks.

Why not look to acquire another back to run behind Peterson early in the season if it was obvious that Perine was not to be trusted and Thompson/Bibbs were looked at more as pass receivers than rushers?

And that is a point in and of itself.

We see the Cowboys use Elliott as a receiver, the Giants use Barkley, the Steelers use Conner, etc.

But the Redskins never use Peterson as a receiver.

The fact defenses don't have to account for him in the passing game at all is just one more favor we do each week.

We might also want to give Kapri Bibbs some additional carries from scrimmage.

The offensive innovation left town with McVay when he caught a jet to the West Coast. If you look at LA's numbers, Gurley is averaging over 4 receptions on over 5.5 targets a game. The defense has to account for him every time he is in the huddle. Compare that with Peterson who has 16 receptions on 20 targets total for the season.

Not sure I get the point about Reed though. he is the high man on the team in terms of receptions, targets and yards. Granted, he could certainly be a bigger part of the game plan but I can't help but think that what we are seeing here is a concerted effort on the part of the staff to attempt to keep him healthy for a full 16 games. Let's face it, he goes from game changer to sitting on the sideline in street clothes faster than a porcelain doll goes from work of art to shattered mess.

Whatever else has not gone right, with Colt in the lineup he has looked for and connected with Reed and Davis on big plays the last 2 weeks, debunking the myth that Alex Smith just needs to get on the same page as his receivers for the offense to be successful.

Prior to the Texans game, Colt was working exclusively with the scout team.

Look at Reed's stats against the Texans after Smith went out of the game and then last week against Dallas.

In 1.5 games Reed has as much productivity as he had the first 4-5 GAMES of the season, and again that was when the offense was still fairly healthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.