• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 11/20/18: Gruden, McCoy, Garrett

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
skinsquotes.png

November 20, 2018

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On T Trent Williams and RB Chris Thompson:
"Yeah, we're just doing walkthrough right now and… Chris is with the trainers working. As was Jamison [Crowder], as was [Quinton] Dunbar and then we'll have another walkthrough this afternoon. Hopefully we'll get these guys a little bit of running and get a better feel after practice today. Not practice, a walkthrough."

On if there is anyone who he can rule out for Thursday's game:
"I'm not for sure on anybody right now. It's just hard to gauge because we are walking through on a short week. I think some guys will have to make significant improvement. Trent is a little bit different because of his thumb. It's just a matter of if he can feel comfortable gripping with that cast on. If he does, then I think he'll go, but only time will tell."

On if giving up more rushing yards in lieu of defending the pass:
"I think we are going to have to switch it back a little bit. Obviously Zeke [Elliott] is a major force and Dak [Prescott] running with his legs is very important to try and corral him a little bit with some of the zone reads and the bootlegs and the quarterback runs. We had a good plan against them last time but I know Dallas will have an answer as we should try and improve on what we've been doing the last couple of weeks. A little combination of everything like I said yesterday, there are times when it might have been a linebacker who missed a fit or a defensive lineman who got out of a gap or somebody missed a tackle. I still like where our run defense is at, we've taken a couple hits the last couple of weeks, but they are playing hard and running to the ball."

On the details of QB Alex Smith's injury:
"You know what, they told me kind of what it was, but I don't really… I know that he had surgery and we're just trying to get him better and told the players to hopefully go see him and all that stuff. If you want the details we can probably have a report from Larry [Hess]. I'm not really much into the exact surgery procedures. Doctor [Robin] West and Alex, I just know he's in a lot of pain and had a surgery."

On the differences in the Dallas offense since WR Amari Cooper was acquired:
"Well, he's another weapon for them. It's not like they didn't have any weapons before they got him. This is a guy who was a first round pick, very talented player. I think they will probably try to take more shots with him and open up the playbook a little bit more with more shots. They took some shots on us last time without him, so I don't know how much they can change in a day or two. The last couple of weeks with Amari, they've tried to get him the ball and he's an excellent receiver. Fortunately, we've played some pretty good receivers in the last few weeks with Julio [Jones] and [DeAndre] Hopkins and the list goes on and on and Amari is just another one we throw in there so we've just got to go out and compete."

On dividing time between reviewing the game against Houston and preparing for Dallas:
"Yeah, we were really brief reviewing. We didn't have a lot of time to really hone in. We tried to make a cut up of a few of the plays we need to improve upon and some of the things we did well, but it was quickly moving on to Dallas. I think the coaches really, once we got in here Monday morning, it was a brief glimpse of the film, correct the mistakes that we had and then move on to Dallas and try to get a plan together for the players."
On his evaluation of CB Josh Norman tracking the top receivers:
"I think it's been good, I really do. I think in [Quinton] Dunbar's absence, we've had to travel a little bit more and I think he's doing a pretty good job. You're talking about Mike Evans and [DeAndre] Hopkins and Julio Jones and he's done a pretty good job. He had a couple of holding calls – one was legitimate – but for the most part, I think he's done a nice job competing, as has everybody else. Each week is a great challenge, different skill set for each receiver he plays against but Josh is a guy that's going to study and he's only got a couple of days to study Amari [Cooper] and [Cole] Beasley and whoever else they put out there, so I'm sure he'll get it done and do a great job again.

On if the familiarity of facing Dallas makes the road atmosphere easier:
"We've played some tough road games. I think everybody who's played in the NFL is used to road games. Dallas is a beautiful place, beautiful stadium, beautiful venue for a football game, but I think we have to handle the noise offensively without a doubt. The only guys that it might have a minor effect on some of the rookies, but talking about Daron Payne who played at Alabama, who played in plenty of big games on the road, so I think everybody will be fine."

On if the Dallas offense looks different since they added Cooper and changes offensive line coach:
"Not really no; no. They've tweaked it here and there as they do every week for every opponent, so I'm sure we'll see a few different things than they played versus Atlanta. Atlanta has an entirely [different] defensive scheme than we do in their base fronts and sub fronts and all that, so I'm sure we'll see some new wrinkles. I think it's about studying what they did against us last time, understand that they had a change and that they'll probably attack us a little bit differently. But, you never can tell. I think there have been a few tweaks, but we just have to be ready."

On what the offense will gain if RB Chris Thompson returns:
"Well, you gain a guy who's a great player. He's a guy… before his injury last year, I think he was one of the top running backs in the league as far as total yardage out of the backfield, running the ball and catching the ball. He had a lot of yards when he was playing here before he got his injury. He's a great weapon, not only a weapon, but he's great in protection. We blew a couple of protections last week and we've just got to get better in that regard. Our third down backs have got to step it up and make sure we're sound in protection number one, and then when we're asked to win against a linebacker, they've got to win in the pass routes. Chris Thompson is pretty consistent in doing both."

On Thompson's elusiveness:
"Yeah, he's got natural quickness really and he's a tough kid. We try to get him in positions where we can get him out in space and make some plays and he very seldom drops the ball. I can't remember the last time he had a drop. He's got great hands, runs great routes, creates separation with his quickness and then after the catch. He's a special guy."

On how much he knew about QB Colt McCoy before he joined the team:
"A little bit, I didn't follow him a whole lot. I know he was in Cleveland, but at Texas, he was one of the all-time winningest quarterbacks in the history of college football. You've got to have a little bit of respect for the guy to know that he can compete and play. But it wasn't until we really got him that I got to know him and watch him play and progress, that I thought we have a pretty special guy here in the building. When you have a chance to have two quarterbacks, last year we had Kirk [Cousins] and Colt, this year we had Alex [Smith] and Colt, it's a heck of a benefit. We're paying him pretty good to be our backup for a reason in case something like this happens, we feel very comfortable. I've seen him out here. I know nobody else has. They probably just remember him playing in Cleveland, maybe a little bit of preseason [and in first year here, but I've seen him progress as a player, as a person throughout his stint here. But now it's a matter of live reps, he hasn't taken a lot. Last week was the first time he's taken them since preseason and he didn't take any last year in the regular season, just in the preseason. So, I think that's the biggest issue we are going to see, is how he handles the live reps, the entire game plan with the cadence, the protections, all that. It's just a little bit different than sitting on the sidelines and helping out your buddy. I fully anticipate he is ready to go and I think he'll have a big day."

On if he likes McCoy:
"Yeah, I like everybody. I even like you [Laughter]. Yeah, I do like Colt. I like his competitive nature and I think he brings a lot to this football team. When you're running scout team, it's not always easy, but he brings a competitive fire to the defense. He helps the defense considerably. He helps our receivers get better, talking to them, our [running backs]. He's made our team better as a result of him being out here working with the young kids on scout team and now it's his opportunity to work with the ones (first unit) and I'm excited to see it."

QB Colt McCoy

On walkthrough today and what he has been saying to the team:
"I don't have to say a whole lot. We're pretty much just limited to walkthroughs and kind of getting the scout team to give us a good look. The biggest thing for me is probably just getting in and out of the huddle, calling the plays, communicating with those guys, letting them get used to my voice, my cadence, just detailing small things like that out. On a short week, just figuring out what we can do, what we can carry to go down to Dallas and play our best."

On if he thinks about the ups and downs of his career:
"Yeah, I think to an extent you do. I always evaluate myself at the end of every year. I think for me, now is not a time to really kind of think about what got me to this point right here. Now, it's time to play. I rely on a lot of the preparation I've put in the last several years when Kirk [Cousins] was here. Kirk never got hurt. He played well, but I was always ready to play. You know the same thing with Alex [Smith]. Now my preparation is going to be key this week, but at the same time, I'm fortunate that we've played Dallas once already this year so I've been through that game prep, that preparation. I mean it's a huge game let's be honest. I think we'll be alright. We just have to go out there – I have to be calm, get playmakers the ball and hopefully we can put our best foot forward out there."

On if the adversity in his career has helped him:
"Yeah, for sure, it's a blessing to be in this league after so many years. It's even a bigger blessing to be able to go out and play. There's one of 32 guys who get to do it. I think throughout my nine years, I certainly don't take this for granted."

On what he remembers from his last game in Dallas in 2014 and if the situation is similar now:
"Well, I think it's a lot different. I mean that was several years ago. I think the Cowboys are definitely a different team. They do different things on defense. That was against [Tony] Romo so it's been a while. After watching tape of the Cowboys a few weeks ago when we played them and watching them again this week, they have two huge wins on the road and their defense is playing at a really high level. You just don't see a whole lot of guys running open against them and they're pretty good against the run. They're well coached. They're disciplined. You don't catch them off guard too many times. We've got our work cut out for us. I think from my standpoint, I'm thankful to get the opportunity to play. I just need to get guys the ball, get Adrian Peterson going, spread the field and count on the guys around me. I don't have to go out there and do anything special."

On how he felt he played Sunday:
"I was a little rusty at times. There was some good. There were a couple things maybe I wish I had back –maybe a protection call here or there. For the most part, it was alright. We just ran out of time. I did have a chance to go see Alex [Smith] yesterday. All things considered, he's in pretty good spirits, bummed out. Let me tell you, I can't say enough about Alex and the type of person he is, the friend that he is. I mean we spent countless hours together since he got here and helped him get a head start on the offense. It was just us for a while. You just don't ever want to see something like that happen but thankful I got to go see him and Liz and their family. Now I'm here and we're getting ready to go to Dallas tomorrow and I've got to get ready for that and we'll move on."

On if QB Alex Smith told him anything moving forward:
"Alex is a true professional. I mean he wants the best for everybody and he just told me to go run with it, go have fun and just be me. That's what I'll try to do."

On the deep ball to WR Josh Doctson in the fourth quarter during the final drive:
"The play call was there. I knew if we could just get a few more yards, we might have a chance for a field goal. I know that we were battling the clock. You throw it in bounds in a situation like that, you start, you know, do you have a hurricane or do you have time to go up there and clock it? There are a lot of different situations and scenarios there. I thought I gave Josh a chance to go get it and we just came up a little short. I actually thought he caught it at the time. I was getting ready to go down and clock, clock, clock, but it's alright, I wasn't upset about the decision there."

On if he is relishing this moment to keep the team at the top of the division this week:
"Yeah, that's my goal. I'm thankful for the opportunity but I think it's even more than that. It's time to just go play and put everything else aside. We have a huge game this week. It's a huge game."

On if it was hard to stay motivated as a backup:
"Yeah, it's not easy but at the same time, I'm thankful for where I am [and] for the things that I've gone through. Hopefully some of the ups and downs that I've been through in my career will help me now, help me in this situation. I think if I didn't enjoy football, if I didn't love football, I probably would have maybe been through. But I love the process. I love the challenge each week. I love getting ready to play. I love game planning. I've been with our coaches for a long time now. I'm very well coached and now I just get a chance to go do it. So, all those things will hopefully pay off. "

On the offense being a good fit for him:
"Yeah, well I think a little bit when I say the offense fits me well, I think part of that is because you kind of get molded into it being here for so long. That in itself is a huge blessing playing quarterback. I've been in places where you get one shot – one year – in one offense and then you're moving on to the next, and that presents its challenges obviously. For me, again, it's a short week, just have to go out there and be efficient and hopefully we'll play well."

On what it means to him to have the support from his hometown in Texas:
"Yeah, we're still quite a ways from Dallas but I think it's great. I've kind of turned my phone off this week just to focus on play. I certainly wouldn't change where I grew up, where I came from. Everyone there means so much to me and that's a special part of me. Right now, my focus is on this team and how I can help this team this week because I know they're counting on me. Our defense is playing great and we have playmakers on offense. My job is to do what I'm coached to do and hopefully we'll play well."

On if former Redskins QB Kirk Cousins has texted him:
"I haven't talked to him. Not yet."

On how the current quarterback situation affects his game play versus past quarterback situations:
"No, I think we'll bring Mark [Sanchez] up to speed as best we can. He's a veteran guy. He's been a lot of places. He was with Kevin [Passing Game Coordinator Kevin O'Connell] and Bill [Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Bill Callahan] and Coach Cav [Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh] in New York, so he has some familiarity with those guys. From my standpoint, I just have to go do what I'm coached to do. Again, I've watched the Cowboys over and over the last couple days. They're just really good. They don't give up many points. I mean you look at all their games for the year and they're hardly giving up over 20 points ever. I know the challenges that their defense presents us and that's my biggest focus this week is; how do we be efficient? We have to run the football. Then when we have plays, we have to make them. A lot of that comes down to me and so I'm just doing my best to be prepared for those situations."

On diving head first:
"Yeah, I mean I probably should not do some of the things I did last week. I was just trying to come in and win the game. Yeah, definitely be smart back there."

On if his family will see him play against Dallas and if it helps eliminate any nerves:
"I know they'll be there. My family has been supportive of me for a long time. As long as I've been up here I've been the backup, they haven't come to as many games, but I know that my family and friends will be there and everybody will be watching. I try not to think about it too much, but I do know that I have been supported very well by everyone back home and especially from my family and I appreciate that."

On staying engaged when he was a backup:
"Yeah, you've just got to keep going. Jay [Gruden] and Kevin [O'Connell] and those guys have challenged me every now and again, keep me on my toes. They've done a great job over the last few years believing in me, keeping me involved in the game plans, asking me if I have suggestions. They know how hard I work and getting ready to play. So, I think all that in combination and at the end of the day, I still love the game and as a backup, you always know you are one play away and that's my responsibility to our team and I just never took that slightly. I always wanted to be prepared and always be ready. Now, this is a different situation, you're going into a short week, you get a couple of walkthroughs, you're not practicing, we're not doing full speed reps this week. So, there are some challenges and hopefully we, especially me, I mean our guys are ready to go, but for me, I hope that I can eliminate the mistakes early, knock off the rust as fast as I can and really kind of settle in. For me, that would be huge."

Dallas Cowboys Head Coach Jason Garrett

On how WR Amari Cooper could open the playbook up for the team:
"Well, I don't know how he is going to make it different but he has certainly been a good addition to our team. We like him a lot, enough to trade a first-round pick for him and he's done a great job acclimating himself into our offense. He's a smart player. He's worked very hard at understanding what our system is and the language we use and the nuances and the details. He's been very productive over the first three games he's played with us. We feel really good about having him on our team and he's only going to continue to get better and better."

On if the team is focusing on RB Ezekiel Elliott after his season low in rushing against Washington:
"Yeah again, we are really just kind of focused on ourselves and what we need to do in this game and Zeke is obviously a big part of what we do offensively. He has been since we drafted him two and a half years ago. We like to hand him the ball. We like to throw it to him, get him involved in our offense and he's typically been a pretty good player for us. We recognize what the challenge is this week. Washington is awfully good on defense. We have great respect for them but we're kind of focused on ourselves and Zeke will certainly be a big part of what we do."

On the challenges of a short turnaround and if it helps to be at home:
"Well, just to get your eyes forward. We were in Atlanta for the game on Sunday, so you get back to Dallas and you forget about the last one, get focused on the next one as quickly as you can. A lot of our players obviously played a complete game just 48 hours ago but the mentality has to be such that we've got to get our minds right for this next challenge. So, that's one of the things we try to instill in our team and you get your eyes forward and get ready for the next one. We're excited about this challenge we have against the Redskins on Thursday."

On the challenges of getting your body right on a short turnaround:
"Yeah, it's the nature of the NFL. Every team is playing on Thursdays at some point over the course of the season, so everyone has one of these short weeks you have to deal with. That's the biggest thing; you try to get your body right as best as you can. With the stuff that you do to recover after the game, all of it has to be expedited and you've just got to get your mind right – your emotions right – to go play your best football."

On QB Colt McCoy and the differences between him and QB Alex Smith:
"Obviously, a really good player, we thought a lot of him coming out of the draft and when he's had opportunities to play, he's typically played very well. He's been in different situations, different systems, he's a veteran guy. He's very comfortable going into games and typically he's done a good job for his team. I've got a lot of respect for him. In regards to how you compare those guys, obviously they are both physically capable of doing anything you would ask them to do. They can make plays with their arms. They can make plays with their feet, and they are smart, tough guys, so I've got a lot of respect for both Alex and for Colt."

On QB Mark Sanchez and what he brings to the team:
"Love Mark Sanchez. He was with us for a year as our backup quarterback and did a fantastic job for us. Got nothing but the highest respect for him as a guy and as a player and he's done a lot of really good things in this league individually, but he's also done a lot of things to help football teams. He certainly did with us and we think the world of him."

On the struggles of watching film on Sanchez and if he had old tape on him from past seasons:
"Yeah, you try your best to understand the team you're going against. The individual players and our personnel department do a really good job with that, outlining who the guys are on the opposing team every week. Again, the biggest thing that we try to do is focus on ourselves and what we need to do but nothing but a tremendous amount of respect for Mark as a person and as a player and I think the world of him."

On his thoughts on the Monday Night Football game between the L.A. Rams and Kansas City Chiefs:
"You know, in a short week, I didn't get the chance to see much of it at all. It's a quick turnaround for us; we're combining Wednesday and Thursday and Thursday and Friday and all of that to get ready for this game on Thursday. So, I didn't get a chance to see it. I did see the score and it looked like it was a high scoring affair and I bet it was an exciting game."

On WR Michael Gallup and the support from the team:
"He's been with his family here the last couple of days and we're hopeful that he can come back here to Dallas tonight. They are still working on some different arrangements for the funeral and some other things. Obviously, we try to stay close with him, as coaches, as teammates, and our operations people, to try to make his life better and just try to show him the care, love and support that he and his family need."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.