• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

are we actually cursed?

Not sure where to put this, but hey...

First post in a while and it's still the same old crap.

The organization realized that coaching stability is a good thing. So we decide to stick with a coach who most would agree is a nice guy but at best average. I don't think anyone would call him exceptional or special. We've definitely seen terrible coaches here, but is average the goal?

The organization realized that if you don't have a QB your chance of sustained success is greatly reduced. So we play silly games with one guy for a few years and then overpay for a guy who's a lot older and has never shown he's a true franchise QB. Now he's hurt and since we place no value on developing a young QB (since older mobile QBs never get hurt) here we are with Sanchez and Johnson.

The organization realized (finally) that the best way to build a team is through the draft so our depth has improved leading to better special teams play. But we don't seem to place any value on heath and we keep a lot of admittedly good players who seem to always be hurt. Being healthy enough to play 16 games has a definite value. We seem to have learned nothing from the last few years.

The most frustrating thing is I can see this stuff, and I'm just some dope online. So now we're in a position (again) where the franchise is in great need of a GM, or whatever the team wants to call them, to set the direction of the team; Coach, draft, QB, everything. I just don't have any confidence that they'll get it right. They've done very little in the past 25 years to make me think otherwise.

Our only hope seems to be getting lucky, and cursed franchises ain't lucky.

Last edited:
Stability and continuity are fine things as long as they are based on sound fundamentals of organization building and success on the field.

The trouble here is that Bruce Allen and his cohorts have spent the past 9 seasons trying to find different ways to crack the nut and they have failed. It's time to move on.

The Hail Mary for Donovan McNabb in 2010. The second Hail Mary for RG III in 2012 that cost a generation of draft picks.

The failure to either reach a contract agreement with Kirk Cousins or trade him when his value was high in 2016 was a third pillar of failure.

Now in 2018 we have a trade for Alex Smith, a 34 year old quarterback with a history of being passed over by successful coaches for younger talents. The trade itself was not nearly as bad without the $71M in extension guarantees.

The team didn't want to pay Kirk Cousins millions more in guaranteed money and settled on Smith as a cheaper, viable option.

Smith's tepid performance in 2018 followed by the injuries now puts the team in a position of having to pay out $50M to Smith in the next 2 years without really knowing if he is ever going to take the field again.

The $23M for Smith combined with the $7M for Colt McCoy = $30M in 2019.

Meanwhile Cousins is making what, $31M?

Not much in terms of cumulative savings in the end result.

And we still need to find a younger quarterback to develop for the future as Smith and McCoy are more past than future in the NFL.

I think the team should carry a third QB - a development type. It was foolish to let Nate Sudfeld go. He could be on the roster right now and gaining experience.

My $0.02.

I don't have a problem with that viewpoint. I'm just saying that folks suggesting it was somehow coaching malpractice because we didn't are off-base. There are potential pro's and con's with either approach. A Practice Squad QB is not going to save a season if your top 2 QBs are lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curse of Norval orenthal turner. We have to hire him again on a 10 year contract and let him coach every game before the curse is lifted.

Well, I don't know about the practice squad quarterbacks but from what I have seen Kyle Shanahan is able to get an undrafted free agent quarterback to throw for 300 yards in San Francisco even if in a losing effort.

The trouble here is that the quarterbacks we have don't seem capable of putting up even average to slightly below average NFL numbers.

These guys are WAY below average.

Well, I don't know about the practice squad quarterbacks but from what I have seen Kyle Shanahan is able to get an undrafted free agent quarterback to throw for 300 yards in San Francisco even if in a losing effort.

The trouble here is that the quarterbacks we have don't seem capable of putting up even average to slightly below average NFL numbers.

These guys are WAY below average.

Well - guessing the prospects would be rosier if 2/3rds of our OL and receiving Corps weren't out of action. I hear you BD, but it's just a terrible sitution we find ourselves in on offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strangely enough, this might actually go a long way into proving whether or not Gruden can coach effectively.

He doesn't have a choice of whether or not he can stick, stubbornly, to his vaunted system.

ButtFumble may remember some of the terminology, which is fine. But with the additional new guys on the line, Gruden's gonna have to strip things down to the bare bones. Run basic Football 101 plays that guys have been doing since PeeWee. All you have to do, is do them well. And not in any predictable order. When the DB's are lined up 10 yds off the LOS, throw a friggin hitch. Or an out, for 5yds. If my math is correct, hitting on 2 out of 3 of them will get you a first down. AMAZING!!! Not to mention setting up the ole stop and go. Every QB in the world can throw the 9.

If Gruden can learn how to coach players, instead of systems, he may save this season yet.

I'm actually starting to get a good feeling about the game Sunday.

Come on Jay, save the day!

feel free to go back and look at my posts. some guys even got mad at me for bringing up that drafting a black QB to that point had been a losing proposition. the only great one statistically to that point had been Warren moon. I have always been adamant that you build an OLine first, a Dline second and then fill in skill positions and try to find a qb, but you never sell your future to grab a qb unless you have a team already built.

the time to have drafted a quarterback for the future was 2016 when it had become apparent before the draft that Cousins was not going to sign a long-term deal for anything other than record-setting money.

If we had done that instead of taking Doctson and/or Su'a Cravens (two crappy high picks) we would have been in much better position.

McCloughan in the end result is on Bruce Allen.

Bruce Allen is the thread that goes through all the decisions here, even if they later came back to bite him on the ass. Jon Gruden and Bruce worked together in OAK and Tampa. Jon Gruden begets his brother Jay to Bruce. Then Scott was a scout with Jon so we then inherit him when the time comes.

Bruce Allen's relationship with Jon Gruden is at the crux of the failures here.

After 9 years here he has failed in his primary mission he stated when he took the GM job here back in 2010, namely to re-establish the Redskins and restore respect for the franchise.

We are now a perpetually mediocre team flagging between 7-9 and 9-7 seemingly regardless of what the circumstances are.

Although getting it wrong at the quarterback position with Smith and his huge contract if he is unable to play after 2018 will hand cuff this team against the cap as the draft pick trade for RG III sunk the Redskins from now having a core of high picks that are productive at a number of positions.

If we had just let Cousins go and then taken a breath before trying to do immediate damage control to avoid criticism better long-term options would have presented themselves.

But there was no way Allen and Snyder were going to sit there and risk Cousins going to Minnesota and playing well on a team that goes 11-5 while the Redskins were slugging away developing a young quarterback who was a #1 pick behind Colt McCoy.

Their thin skins were showing again.

In truth it was organizational cowardice.

Parcells would have let the player go, draft a replacement and move on without much comment.

And if the press/media did try to stand him up over it, he usually had an answer for them didn't he? :laugh: :laugh:

The team isn't cursed. To put it simply the people at top have always made poor decisions since Snyder's taken over and we've never seen any semblance of a plan to build the team correctly in the past twenty years.

Its not a sign Voldemort has hexed the team likes it the Defence Against The Dark Arts teaching position just hubris and the FOs stubborness to admit they're wrong and haven't a clue what to do.

Well, if there's a curse, it started when Jack Kent Cooke fired a Redskins Ring of Fame member, and HOF'er, to hire Norval Friggin Turner.

Then, he built and moved the team to FedEx.

So Snyder, for all his faults, bought a cursed team. And so far, he hasn't broken the curse.

So please, for the love of Allah, everyone should stop the BS narrative that shit didn't turn downward until Snyder bought the team.
It's a lie. And that's the fact, Jack.

Well, if there's a curse, it started when Jack Kent Cooke fired a Redskins Ring of Fame member, and HOF'er, to hire Norval Friggin Turner.

Then, he built and moved the team to FedEx.

So Snyder, for all his faults, bought a cursed team. And so far, he hasn't broken the curse.

So please, for the love of Allah, everyone should stop the BS narrative that shit didn't turn downward until Snyder bought the team.
It's a lie. And that's the fact, Jack.

Not sure who is stating that, I think most understand Snyder wasn't the cause, but has been responsible for 20 years now.

2 QBs suffering broken legs only weeks apart? Yes, I'd say we are.

Curse, karma, or just extreme bad luck-- it's something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.