• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

are we actually cursed?

Being the grandchild of three Sicilian immigrants and one from Lebanon, I'm no stranger to the ebbs and tides of superstition. This is a problem of a lousy FO, lousy coaching and lousy preparation and lack of adjustments. It really is that simple. Dan Snyder couldn't find success with a McDonald's and got lucky selling his business right before the Internet bust.

The problems for this franchise run much, much deeper than injuries.

Correct. The problem is that the team is stupid, top to bottom. The team has made so many bad decisions in recent years it's hard to keep track, and while they have done a few smart things, like finally drafting legit defensive tackles, the amount of dumb things they've done is inexcusable.

Here is a few of the dumbest things they've done not in any order:

1. Not signing Cousins after his first full year as starter. Yeah he wasn't the second coming of Aaron Rogers, but he was good enough to win games. After not having a starting QB for 2 decades you'd think they would have gotten that one right.

2. Letting both Garcon and Jackson go at the same time. Garcon was the leader on the offense at the time. They went from have one of the best wr crops in the league to one of the worst over night.

3. Bringing back the same oline in 2018 knowing that almost the entire oline struggled with injuries in 2017. This one is really mind boggling to me. Laveau hasn't been able to stay on the field since he's been here, and both Moses and Williams have been battling injuries. I know Callahan is a great oline coach but jeez.

4. Not adjusting the offense to fit Smith's strengths. Smith has been getting the ball out quick his whole career, which is why he was so good with Reid. Gruden loves these long developing plays. Combine that with the fact that the interior oline generally has at least 1 back up playing and you make any qb uncomfortable, even a seasoned vet like Smith.

5. Lack of in game adjustments. This has been a staple of the Gruden era. If Gruden's first 15 scripted plays aren't successful, game over.

The list goes on and on. I don't know if things are ever going to change as long as Snyder is the owner.

The quarterback injuries are truly bad luck but a lot of the other players that end up on the injury list week to week or land on IR are HABITUALLY injured.

The team simply refuses to move on from them and so each season players the team is counting on end up disappointing us.

Just a few examples:

Shawn Lauvao - hurt in 3 of the past 4 years. No attempt in the offseason to draft or sign a capable backup.

Paul Richardson - we gave a $40M contract to a player who has had two ACL reconstructions and missed two of his four NFL seasons on IR.

Robert Kelley - Gruden kept Kelley as the primary backup to Guice but he has been hurt regularly in his short NFL career.

Chris Thompson - Thompson is highly productive but he is rarely healthy for long stretches. We depend upon him and then when he goes out our big play ability disappears. At some point you need to develop younger options as a Plan B and then as a replacement.

Jordan Reed - his history of concussions is worrisome that one more and he might have to hang up his cleats. While Davis at 34 has been a very nice Plan B, the Redskins need to find a younger TE that can both catch and block to bring along.

Morgan Moses - Morgan is a solid player. It's obvious though with his chronic ankle and knee injuries that perhaps at 6'6 and 330 he needs to drop some weight to save some time on his career as he enters his late twenties. The team drafted Geron Christian as a future OT so some credit there but with the caveat he was inactive for most of the season and the club seemed reluctant to give him any reps despite being a #3 pick. #3 picks are contributing and even starting around the league.

So, in my mind some of these injury problems are foreseeable based on the players' histories.

The fact the Redskins ignore this or fail to adequately prepare for these players' eventual replacements is on the front office.

I have never heard of a team losing 2 QB's in a season in broken legs. Unreal.

Now I have a problem with every year we have the most players on IR. There has to a problem with our training, strength, conditioning, and medical staff. I even heard someone say our practices are too soft leading to injuries. Probably a little of all those mentioned.

It is just strange year after year we start losing players right and left to season ending injuries. There has to be a reason other than bad luck. Once in awhile in one thing, but not every year.

The quarterback injuries are truly bad luck..

I don't know if you can blame it on just bad luck. When your offensive line is continually banged up and you don't do anything about it, you're putting your qb at risk. About the only injury that I would call bad luck is Scherff, as he has been a dependable player for his career. Moses, Williams, and Lauvao are all good to great players, but Lauvao can't stay on the field and Moses and Williams are mostly playing hurt. It would be 1 thing to risk it with just Williams bc of how good he is, and keep a good back up on the roster like Nsheke (sp?) but to risk it with multiple injury risk players on the line was just stupid.

Eli Manning has a worse offensive line than any other quarterback in the NFC and he has managed to stay upright in 2018 at age 37.

Dak Prescott actually has the most qb hits during the season so far and he is still running the ball off RPO plays late into the year.

I don't know if you can blame it on just bad luck. When your offensive line is continually banged up and you don't do anything about it, you're putting your qb at risk. About the only injury that I would call bad luck is Scherff, as he has been a dependable player for his career. Moses, Williams, and Lauvao are all good to great players, but Lauvao can't stay on the field and Moses and Williams are mostly playing hurt. It would be 1 thing to risk it with just Williams bc of how good he is, and keep a good back up on the roster like Nsheke (sp?) but to risk it with multiple injury risk players on the line was just stupid.

It was unconscionable not to bring in a 3rd QB when the O-Line started going down. Just another in a long line of bad decisions made by this organization. Same attitude prevailed every year with the RB's and WR's, wishing year after year that one or more of them were going to step up and be at least adaquate.

Thinking you could go into a season relying on Lavauo as your starting LG was beyond incompetent.

Welcome to the Redskins.

If Belichick was here you would not see Lauvao, Kelley, Perine on the roster period.

You would not see Belichick go 3-4 years without a true speed rusher for the 3-4 defense.

When the talent called for it he changed from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in NE to accommodate his down rushers.

We don't make decisive moves here.

We keep middling performers around here for years counting on them to improve while other teams would have cut bait.

We keep schemes despite the inability to find the talent to run them and don't learn our lesson.

And we don't prepare to win. Practices, the offseson Program and camp are light. We don't play anyone in the preseason and suffer the most season injuries anyway.

How about holding all of the OTAs? How about not cancelling camp practices or giving guys extra time off when the team hasn't earned it?

Not sure how you can even compare Tua with RG3, and you haven't been here long enough to know I was the only one on the site who did not want RG3 and thought the trade was wrong.

RG3 played college football like a superior athlete playing the QB position coupled with a reckless abandon to win. Tua is a QB playing the QB position who knows how to win without being reckless. He will be a successful QB in the NFL.

Umm no you weren't. in fact the guy whose thread you are posting on was extremely vocal about not drafting RG3.

Welcome to the Redskins.

If Belichick was here you would not see Lauvao, Kelley, Perine on the roster period.

You would not see Belichick go 3-4 years without a true speed rusher for the 3-4 defense.

When the talent called for it he changed from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in NE to accommodate his down rushers.

We don't make decisive moves here.

We keep middling performers around here for years counting on them to improve while other teams would have cut bait.

We keep schemes despite the inability to find the talent to run them and don't learn our lesson.

And we don't prepare to win. Practices, the offseson Program and camp are light. We don't play anyone in the preseason and suffer the most season injuries anyway.

How about holding all of the OTAs? How about not cancelling camp practices or giving guys extra time off when the team hasn't earned it?

boom, this.

when cooper turns out to be the third man up and is an upgrade, it makes me wonder who is evaluating oline talent for us.

! DB1FCBA9-2A6E-47AA-93BB-E0B21E4ED856.jpg!

Cooper was a first round pick of the Cardinals but has been injured much of his career. I remember that he was with New England one training camp but was cut in the final round to 53 by Belichick. I think he spent a season in Dallas as well where he started a number of games.

It's no secret as to why Cooper despite being a street free agent is better than Lauvao - it's simply a matter of size and power.

Cooper is a big guy and when he actually plays with decent technique is in reality a guy that can play in the NFL.

Shawn Lauvao is a bit undersized and lacks both size/strength and quickness off the ball.

That's a lethal combination of weaknesses.

Lauvao regularly gets thrown to the side by the DT who is then able to get to our RB before he crosses the line of scrimmage.

The Cleveland Browns took Lauvao with a #3 pick and let him go after his rookie deal.

No one else was interested in him in free agency FIVE years ago.

If the Redskins didn't sign him I bet he wouldn't have gotten back in uniform until around this time of the year when teams are down to scouring through the loading docks at Walmart and Sears for guys that were in an NFL camp or practice squad in the past.

Well, since we're all stroking ourselves.....I was against making the trade to move up.

Though, after the deed was done, I supported it. As is my way, concerning most decisions over the years. Since I don't control any of it.

Do I get an internet trophy too?

It was unconscionable not to bring in a 3rd QB when the O-Line started going down. Just another in a long line of bad decisions made by this organization. Same attitude prevailed every year with the RB's and WR's, wishing year after year that one or more of them were going to step up and be at least adaquate.

Strongly disagree. We carried 3 QBs continuously until Gruden got here (and I believe last year may have been the first time he didn't). Coming off record high injuries, it should be entirely understandable why Gruden elected not to spend a roster spot carrying a 3rd QB. I think there's a solid argument to never carry a 3rd QB. If we had some practice squad QB in there, who hasn't taken a snap with starters all year, would we really be much better off? I don't think losing your starter and your experienced backup in a single season is a rarity. When a team gets down to it's 3rd QB, it generally doesn't matter who it is. Things are going to end well.

There are plenty of bad decisions to criticize. Not sure carrying 2 QBs is one of them, unless you are just playing the 'hindsight is 20-20' game.

Well, since we're all stroking ourselves.....I was against making the trade to move up.

Though, after the deed was done, I supported it. As is my way, concerning most decisions over the years. Since I don't control any of it.

Do I get an internet trophy too?

No, but you did get a trophy buck last week, right? That should be affirmation enough!

Strongly disagree. We carried 3 QBs continuously until Gruden got here (and I believe last year may have been the first time he didn't). Coming off record high injuries, it should be entirely understandable why Gruden elected not to spend a roster spot carrying a 3rd QB. I think there's a solid argument to never carry a 3rd QB. If we had some practice squad QB in there, who hasn't taken a snap with starters all year, would we really be much better off? I don't think losing your starter and your experienced backup in a single season is a rarity. When a team gets down to it's 3rd QB, it generally doesn't matter who it is. Things are going to end well.

There are plenty of bad decisions to criticize. Not sure carrying 2 QBs is one of them, unless you are just playing the 'hindsight is 20-20' game.

I think the team should carry a third QB - a development type. It was foolish to let Nate Sudfeld go. He could be on the roster right now and gaining experience.

My $0.02.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.