• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Post-Game Skins Quotes 11/18/18: Skins Players

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
skinsquotes.png

REDSKINS PLAYERS

REDSKINS QUARTERBACK COLT McCOY

On starting against the Dallas Cowboys next game:
“First off, my thoughts and prayers are with Alex [Smith]. He's an unbelievable guy, a true veteran, true pro. We spend so much time together and he's played great this year, done a great job and we know we play a violent sport, you just never want to see that happen. So I wish we would've won that game. We had a chance there at the end, we were battling the time and if I could've made a couple more plays we could get [Dustin] Hop[kins] a little closer kick. We'll learn from it and move on. We've got a short week with the Cowboys. For me it's nice because we've played them once this year, so I have a little bit of tape on them, but I've still got to knock a little bit of rust off and get ready on a short week.”

On having the chance to start again:
“You pray for opportunities to get to play. You never like to see how it happened today, but for me I just have to go out there and give it all I've got. I've been a starter before, had it taken away, and it's not a good feeling. I kind of battled my way back. Been here for a while now so hopefully I can go out there and play good ball and help our team win. We have a good team here and they've got us in great shape, Alex [Smith] has got us in great shape, we've just got to go continue to play football.”

On what Coach Jay Gruden said to him on the sideline:
“I've had so many conversations with Jay [Gruden] over the past five years. We didn't really say much, he just said, ‘Let's go get this win,' and we were pretty close.”

On team thoughts about the loss:
“Couldn't tell you. I think we have a core group of guys here on this team who are solid professionals. They approach their jobs the same way every day and I've tried to do that for the past five years, prepare myself and get myself ready. I'd like to stand up here and say we won that game, we came back and won, but we were just a little bit short, but this league is about winning. I think we know that, in that locker room there's good leadership and on a short week we'll have to be our best against the Cowboys.”

On dealing with the shock of playing after seeing an injured player then refocusing:
“It was on a third-down play so you know we had a little bit of time on the sidelines to gather ourselves so I took a couple snaps with Chase [Roullier]. We still had a lot of football left to play and I'll go check on Alex [Smith] tonight. My prayers and my thoughts are with he and Liz and the family, and you just never want to see something like that, but now we've got to move forward. I know my responsibility and I'll get myself ready to play.”

On his confidence level on starting with the first team:
“We'll see, it's tough, it's not ideal. I think for me I've been here a little while. Haven't taking reps with these guys in three of four years so I think there will be a little bit of a transition there but probably more for me than for them. Them getting used to my voice and those things, but again, it's football, we've got to just strap it up and play.”

On keeping his energy while waiting to start:
“This league is all about opportunity, and for me, I've known my role the past several years is to help our defense get better and to be prepared every week, help our starter, help our team, be a leader, be an encourager. Do the things that I can behind the scenes to be successful and I don't think from my standpoint anything will change, I'll just get to play now, and so I've got to get myself ready to go for Thanksgiving.”

On the throw to Jordan [Reed]:
“Well, when the first call came in, I was like, ‘Alright, where's my mouth piece at, got a run play here.' But again, I think I've been with Jay [Gruden] for a while now. He kind of knows how I like to play the game. I thought he gave me a chance to come in here and win this game and he and I will get on the same page this week and be ready to go. But Jordan [Reed] ran a nice route. We kind of had the look we wanted. Obviously, I ripped that play but, he made a nice catch, nice snag in protection, and it was nice for the press to get a pic like that and giving me a short field coming off the bench. That normally doesn't happen. Again, we'll lick our wounds and pray for Alex. And we'll gear for going down to Dallas.”

On the short week:
“Yeah, I mean just, studying the Cowboys. I mean, we probably won't practice much, it'll be a lot of walk throughs. Whatever game plans things that we're going to put in this week, just getting as many reps as I can. Just to feel comfortable, feel confident, get looks, we'll go from there.”

On avoiding getting hit and changes to the offense moving forward:
“Yeah, Coach [Kevin] O'Connell told me to get out of bounds if I can. I actually thought I did get out of bounds, still got hit. But I don't think a whole lot of change. Alex [Smith] liked some things that I wasn't used to that I needed to learn. But I would say that being here for as long as I have, the foundation of our offense is the same. So I'll just continue to get better and give the guys the opportunities to make plays. That's the most important thing.”

On relaxing before Thursday's game:
“I'll probably just calm down this week. Really focus on my job and probably have a lot of family and friends there. But at the end of the day, it's football, I'm excited to play. Again, I hate the circumstance but at the same time, we have a really good football team and I'm excited to go out there and play with them.”

On team goals versus personal goals:
“Yeah, I don't think I can really think about that. My approach has always been the same. If I'm called upon to play inside of those white lines, give my team the best opportunity to win the game. I think as long as I approach it that way, things will happen like they're supposed to. I'm thankful, I've been on the bench a long time so I'm excited as ever to go out there and compete. Go out there and play, I do think I can play. So, we'll just move forward and hopefully we can get a few of the injured guys on our team back. That will really help and we'll see where we go.”

On personal growth since being on the bench:
“I think, most importantly, I'm more mature. I played my first 3 years in the league as a young guy and sometimes that can be challenging, and it certainly was for me. But I think I've grown up, I've grown up a lot. I feel comfortable in this system and how we execute our offense. I'm very well coached so I think I'm just going to try to go out there and compete and make good decisions and let the calls fall as they may.”

On game rule changes since last time starting:
“There have been some rule changes. But again, I compete as hard as I can in the preseason. I play as hard as I can. I feel good about that. The difference is, I hadn't played with these guys. I hadn't played much. Alex [Smith] was new this year, he got all the reps, as many as he could, and that's what we needed for our team. And I was there to help him and help him learn the offense, kind of be an extra set of eyes for him. Now I don't think much will change for me except I get to go compete and play and I'm thankful for this opportunity.”

On his connection with Jay Gruden:
“I should probably rephrase that and say, I know how Jay [Gruden] sees his offense, I know how Jay wants this offense run. I'll do my best to make that happen.”

REDSKINS TE VERNON DAVIS

On his relationship with Alex Smith and how the injury affects him versus others:
“Like I said before, in my heart, the compassion is there of course, because I played with him so long, he's like a brother and to see him go down and suffer is like, why not me? Maybe I should suffer and let him continue out there and do his job and help the team win, because I know how bad he wants it. I know how much work he's put in, starting from San Francisco, going to Kansas City, he's worked extremely hard, he's resilient. He's the most resilient person I've ever met. He's been through so much and to see him at this level now is a treat and it's great to see, so I wish him nothing but the best.”

On if it takes an extra moment to get back to football after an injury like Smith's:
“Yeah, you just fight, and you know what you're playing for. Now it becomes a situation where, of course we are playing for each other, but we're also playing for Alex, because he's with us. Even though he's not there, we're still playing for him. He's still with us in spirit, in our heart and we'll just go from there.”

On the sideline atmosphere after the injury and regrouping:
“You just put yourself in the moment, keep yourself in the moment and know that whenever someone goes down, the next man has to come up, step up for him. The great thing about this team is we have a lot of talent, a lot of guys that can get it done, so I'm sure Alex is thrilled right now. Even though he's going through some things, he's still thrilled to see that Colt [McCoy] stepped in and made things happen for us. It was unfortunate that we couldn't pull it through, but I still think he played a pretty good game, both of those guys. I mean, I know Alex made some mistakes early on and we lost the game, but we have some warriors and it's great to know that we have two outstanding quarterbacks.”

On if the missed long passes in back-to-back weeks are frustrating:
“Yeah, we're close. I mean it's plays like that where you just have to look in the mirror and just understand that hey, it happens. I can't beat myself up about it, I know that I have to hold myself accountable and make those plays when they're there. You never know when you'll have the opportunity to help your team win, so you have to make sure you do it right then and there. But I'll let this one go, move on and get ready for the next one, go to practice, work, just work on the mistakes that I've made and do my best to help this team win.”

REDSKINS LB RYAN KERRIGAN

On falling short against Houston:
“Yeah, a hard fought game. That's two first place teams right there going at it. It came down to the wire and you've got to give it up for [Dustin] Hop[kins]. I mean an effort like that on that play, especially after being banged up like he was up here last week. It's a tough loss because I feel like this game we could have had, but I'm proud of the way we competed.”

On QB Alex Smith going down:
“Terrible. He's a great guy, been a great leader, nothing but a positive force for us since he's arrived here and to see him go down like that, you hope it's nothing serious and we'll learn more this afternoon or tomorrow. But again, you hope it's nothing serious.”

On facing Dallas Thursday:
“Yeah, it's a real blessing to be able to play Thanksgiving. It's really cool, I mean growing up watching football on Thanksgiving and now to be the entertainment, especially in a game against Dallas, a division rival, it's an awesome treat and no time to worry about this one.”

REDSKINS C CHASE ROULLIER

On what happened following Alex Smith's injury:
“It's kind of hard for me to say, you know, I'm kind of up there in front of it. So, it was a really unfortunate thing that happened, but we've just got to say our prayers for Alex [Smith] and hope for a speedy recovery there.”

On the atmosphere of the huddle after Smith went down:
“It's obviously a very unfortunate thing to happen and it's something that you say your prayers while it's happening, and you've just got to ready for the next play with Colt [McCoy] coming in. Game's not over at that point and you've just got to keep pushing on.”

On if there was new intensity or motivation to play for Smith:
“I mean, there is always going to be that intensity, it doesn't matter who's in that game. We're out there, we're all competitors, we're out there to win a game. Obviously, we want to win the game, whether that's for Alex [Smith] or for us as a team. The intensity is always there, regardless.”

On if he said anything to QB Colt McCoy when he came in to get him ready:
“Colt's always ready. Colt is the strongest competitor I think I've ever seen. He's ready to go at any snap, he prepares like he's a starter every single day. I have all the confidence in Colt going out there, as soon as he comes in, it's just the next man up and we're ready to go.”

On why he is the strongest competitor he knows:
“The amount of effort he shows every single day, even when he's out there leading the scout team, it's like a Super Bowl every single day to him and he just competes every single day.”

On digesting the loss and preparing for Dallas:
“You've got to digest it quickly. We only have a few days, it's something that you've got to learn from your mistakes quickly and move on to the next opponent. Like you said, we don't have much time and it's something that you've just got to put on the backburner and get ready to go for the next week.”

REDSKINS LB MASON FOSTER

On Alex Smith's injury:
“I kind of seen it, you know how fast these guys are and how big everyone is, you can never really tell what it looks like in person but once you see how tough Alex [Smith] is and you see him not get up, they bring out the air cast you know it's something serious. It's been like that all year, every year I've been here it's the next man up and you have to come in and play. Now we are rolling with Colt [McCoy] and we have to keep going.”

On the shift in energy once Smith went out:
“Colt is always locked in, he does it at practice all the time. Great player, great person, I've always been a big fan of Colt [McCoy] and I'm excited to see what he does. I know we are in good hands. We have good coaches. You just have to get your body right for a big game on Thursday”.

On the quick turnaround:
“You really just let it go, tough loss, it sucks but you have to get right back to it. You can't let this game ruin the next game because you are still worried about this one. You just have to get your body right, hit these books and you need to get ready to go because it's going to be a big game on national TV and that's what you dream about as little kids, get your mind right and let this one go but you have to get ready to play a Cowboy's team that's doing well right now”.

REDSKINS RB ADRIAN PETERSON

On bouncing TD plays out to the left:
“The guys were playing in and I was able to do a great job pressing it and getting those keys to sink in and it opened up, I just took it. You know, Coach [Gruden] has been on me these last couple of weeks to go out there and challenge that corner, that cornerback, challenge that guy and I believe we can make it happen”.

On importance of next week's game:
“Oh yeah, this game is behind us and you know it was a tough loss, one that could have gone either way, that one hurts but it is on to the next. We have a big game coming up Thursday, a division game and we can get right back in the swing.”

On Alex Smith's injury:
“Anytime you see one of your teammates go out and you know immediately, and immediately know it's a season-ending injury especially at the quarterback position, it's devastating. After seeing the pain in his eyes, I teared up and it hurts me. He's a great guy and I felt like he was just warming up and you know, I know we will have his support the rest of the season. I feel like Colt came in and didn't miss a beat, after his second throw, a touchdown to Jordan Reed, we are going to have to lean on him to get it done. He knows the offense in and out, and we know what we need to do, he needs to make sure he's ready to roll.”

REDSKINS CB JOSH NORMAN

Opening statement:
“First and foremost, wow. What an atmosphere, right? Thank you Redskins nation, you guys showed out in a big way and we can't be more proud and excited to be amongst you guys, that was huge for us. Week in week out, oh my goodness, applauded y'all for sure. That was big time.”

On Alex Smith's injury:
“Alex, saying a prayer for him. I think he's gone for the rest of the year, but gosh man, that is truly heartbreaking and you know we have that insurance package in Colt McCoy. I just talked to him, he spoke to - guess what, he broke it down, and you're in good hands with me. I can take that any day, I see how the guy prepares and goes out there and works, and he prepares as if he is going to go in if something happens, and something did happen. That's why he's here and that's why he got what he got and he's here now. We are all behind him, fired up and ready to go. Can't wait come Thursday.”

On playing Dallas in four days:
“It's over with, digest it. Gosh man, I was so excited out there today, everyone was excited, it was pumped, it was electrifying and I haven't felt that in a very long time and it was so exciting to be here, they gave us juice and we are going to carry that over onto Dallas for sure, that was big time.”

On his holding call:
“It is what it is. You play defense and those plays, gosh man, you just have to shake your head. A guy like that you try and shut them out n the second half, we were doing that and we got sticky with them, a good bit the whole entire game. One-on-one with a phenomenal athlete like he is, all pro, me an all-pro and we were going after each other. Dog against dog and we got out there and got scrappy, a guy like that is a vet, he pushes you by and you are going to hit him, slap him and release. It was perfect, it's because I played it so it couldn't, he slapped me by and I came off and pushed back and he ran out and up, on top of it high shoulder. The play was over and went to the other side and then I stopped and turned around and see a yellow flag, oh my gosh. I mean I think I said everything I said on the field to him but to repeat that I think I'm going to take a pass.”

On touchdown to DeAndre Hopkins:
“I saw that seam and it was so enticing and I went for it, he [Deshaun Watson] kinda held that and when I came back I felt like I had the leverage to make the play on it but I didn't and therefore he threw a perfect ball to him. High and over the shoulder, anywhere else I could've made a play on it but a play like that and down there that tight. I saw a play and went to go get it and came back on the outside of it and those things happen. One up to him [Deshaun Watson] for the implement on it and that was good execution on them, and I think for me to be a little deeper or so, it would have helped me out and that aspect.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.