• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Official Game Day Thread - Week 12 - 2018: Redskins @ Cowboys

How will Skins fare against the Cowboys?

• Win - backups have a great history here!

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Lose - who are these guys and how long have they been on the team.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Will brining make this game easier to digest?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1. Maybe Jay's the problem and a new HC will take Colt to the SB.

2. Maybe Bruce and Jay are sent packing and we get several new people that don't call Kirk "Kurt" and who don't guarantee Alex Smith $72 million.

Maybe they also don't trade away one of the most promising CBs in the country in a passing league.

We're still in first place. Dallas plays the Saints next weekend.

It's not ideal, but it's not incredibly bad either.

No...it's not incredibly bad. It's where this franchise always sits - incredibly mediocre and not taken seriously against the better teams in the league.

They controlled their destiny yesterday and failed. What makes anyone think that somehow the dynamic will magically change?

The real challenge is for the fans! How pull for the team but protect oneself from the inevitable disappointment?

It's how they lose that's disturbing - we all know that.

Someone already responded! All a matter of perspective I guess. Right at the turn of the 4th quarter after the so caslled lucky play, we were behind 31 - 13. That changed the dynamic entirely with a new QB who was having difficulties all day with decision-making and accuracy. Not all problems of his making, but it was obvious to most that he wasn't the vessel to carry the team to a come-back. Add to that the continual mistalkes by the defense and it was clear where it was going to go. In theory, they had a chance. However, the Skins surrendered whatever momentum they had so fast that it made my head spin!

This happens.

And on the next series we drove directly down the field with little effort on a TD drive to get back into it. The next drive for Dallass was killed, but the refs called a ticky tack holding call on Fabian Moreau to extend that drive and allow them to churn off more clock, but we were never out of that game, until the onside kick was recovered by Dallas.

And on the next series we drove directly down the field with little effort on a TD drive to get back into it. The next drive for Dallass was killed, but the refs called a ticky tack holding call on Fabian Moreau to extend that drive and allow them to churn off more clock, but we were never out of that game, until the onside kick was recovered by Dallas.

Not directed at you: I get tired of the ref'ing comments. They are largely a cop out for a team that can't win on its own.

Bad calls tend to even out over time. Frankly, I thought the call against Dallas at FEDEX at the end of that game was pretty questionable.

We have all been watching the games. The offense has been awful the entire season.

In the evnt, doesn't matter. I don't see how the FO digs itself out of the cap *ell it backed itself into the Smith signing.

DS and our FO: my vote for clowns of the decades!

Not directed at you: I get tired of the ref'ing comments. They are largely a cop out for a team that can't win on its own.

Bad calls tend to even out over time. Frankly, I thought the call against Dallas at FEDEX at the end of that game was pretty questionable.

We have all been watching the games. The offense has been awful the entire season.

In the evnt, doesn't matter. I don't see how the FO digs itself out of the cap *ell it backed itself into the Smith signing.

DS and our FO: my vote for clowns of the decades!

We literally would be in first place STILL had it not been for the non-call on roughing Doctson. Generally, I agree about bitching about calls. But in this case, a single horrific (and inexcusable - there was no judgment call involved as even the league admitted) cost us the NFC East lead. That's a big deal. And most NFL teams haven't added a loss due to a single horribly wrong call.

Sorry - but I can't let it go.

We literally would be in first place STILL had it not been for the non-call on roughing Doctson. Generally, I agree about bitching about calls. But in this case, a single horrific (and inexcusable - there was no judgment call involved as even the league admitted) cost us the NFC East lead. That's a big deal. And most NFL teams haven't added a loss due to a single horribly wrong call.

Sorry - but I can't let it go.

Well...I'm certainly not going to get into a heated argument over this. They couldn't stop the Dallas passing attack and the defense is simply not a shut-down defense. The game had that feel we all know: will we stop em, maybe, this time; will the defense be back on the field, again, very shortly ( and not because of a score!).

Injuries have played a role, no doubt. But this roster simply isn't built to win. I think we were all fooled a bit early on because the defense wasn't nearly as bad as it has been in prior years.

I'm not making any excuses for these guys (although I don't think you can have an honest conversation about the Skins this year without acknowledging the ridiculous injuries). I don't normally ever blame officiating for losses. But in the case of the Texans game, the absolutely mind-numbing non-call of clear and blatant PI against Doctson cost us a win - plain and simple. Despite everything we are rightfully complaining about this season, we should have 7 wins right now.

Officials make bad calls, both for and against. But some calls (and non-calls) are unforgiveable and can determine the outcome of games, even whether teams advance to the playoffs. The Redskins seem to get more of these than other teams - and this season, it has made a big impact. That's not an excuse - it's a fact.

I'm not making any excuses for these guys (although I don't think you can have an honest conversation about the Skins this year without acknowledging the ridiculous injuries). I don't normally ever blame officiating for losses. But in the case of the Texans game, the absolutely mind-numbing non-call of clear and blatant PI against Doctson cost us a win - plain and simple. Despite everything we are rightfully complaining about this season, we should have 7 wins right now.

Officials make bad calls, both for and against. But some calls (and non-calls) are unforgiveable and can determine the outcome of games, even whether teams advance to the playoffs. The Redskins seem to get more of these than other teams - and this season, it has made a big impact. That's not an excuse - it's a fact.

Suppose one were to accept every point you made!

1. why the injuries every year?

2. why the bad calls every season?

3. why the poor judgement on QBs for decades?

4. why the inability to draft ANY quality receiver who can stay on the field longer than a few games? why the inability to draft a top tier receiver year in and year out?

5. why the inability to turn this team around in marginally reasonable timeframes? say 2-5 years.

you know my answer.

Suppose one were to accept every point you made!

1. why the injuries every year?

2. why the bad calls every season?

3. why the poor judgement on QBs for decades?

4. why the inability to draft ANY quality receiver who can stay on the field longer than a few games? why the inability to draft a top tier receiver year in and year out?

5. why the inability to turn this team around in marginally reasonable timeframes? say 2-5 years.

you know my answer.

You don't take the time to read what has beed repeatedly said on certain topics, referees being one of them. My thoughts on this are almost entirely in line with Boone. Calls by referees are inconsistent throughout the NFL, but there are bad calls that happen throughout the game that can be overcome, like a missed FG or a dropped TD pass in the EZ.

In this single example he has given, the poor call weighs much heavier on the outcome of the game, because there was less than a minute on the clock, and it's the difference between us being in 1st place and 2nd Wild Card.

While saying the outcome was 100% certain that the call cost us the game is not taking into consideration we had an injured kicker...we can still say he would have made it with some certainty. At the very least we were robbed of the opportunity to win the game with an easy FG by a very poor call by the refs, a call the NFL admitted was wrong.

What you seem to have missed or choose to ignore in Boone's post was his preface in his reply about the refs, and what I said last week when we lost that game. We do not like blaming the refs, games are rarely won or lost on single plays. It is a culmination, but this is a prime example of how this team was robbed by the refs whether you like hearing it or not.

As for your assertion about the overall responsibility for our woes...we agree.

1. Injuries? Not sure it it's NFL standards for contact in practice, poor athletic trainers...but there is some legitimacy in the front office's responsibility for not addressing injuries properly. I'll give you 2 examples.
WR...we had injuries across the board at that position last year, even our most productive WR on the roster, so what do we do? Sign a single, oft injured WR. Horrible! The 2nd is the RB position...how many RB's did we go through last year? So what did we do to address it? We drafted one good RB, and brought back all those injured RB's.

2. Bad Calls? I am not sure if it is Mara and the Rooneys in a conspiracy against us because they hate Dan for changing the FA market back in then early 2000's. It might be because of the name. Or we simply are unlucky. But this team gets a lot of poor calls, we just aren't the NFL darlings.

3. QB? Well...we're not the only ones in that department...it's tough to find a good QB. But yeah, McNabb, RG3, Kirk, and Smith...not good acquisitions or poorly handled contracts by our FO.

4. Again, we're not the only ones, but yeah...another position we miss the mark, almost always.

5. Turnaround?

It all boils down to our FO, you know it, I know it, and I think most people understand it. However, don't expect much more with Dan Snyder at the helm.

Bad calls and bad breaks tend to even out over the course of the season. In the Panther game, we make a 56 yard FG. If he doesn't hit that the Panthers most likely tie the game at the end of regulation with all the momentum going to overtime. In the first Dallas game we manufactured a phantom false start penalty, which is never usually called, and the Cowboys missed the subsequent game-tying 52-yard FG. Bounces go your way, refs give you calls you need ... and then they don't. Over an entire season it all evens out.

This is not to absolve the refs for sucking, or the NFL for having a convoluted, ever-changing rulebook that oftentimes makes no sense. But the Redskins have not exactly been the victims of terrible luck this year. We've snuck out quite a few wins we probably shouldn't have. All we're seeing now (as I feared earlier this season) is what happens when those lucky breaks stop going our way.

That's how 8-8 happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.