• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The NFC East the Rest of the Way

Doc Walker talked about that this morning on WTEM 980. He couldn't understand why we didn't use a two tight end lineup like NE used to do with Gronk and Hernandez and throw the ball to Reed and Davis while flooding the middle of the field with short patterns setting up the deep ball to Doctson.

He also mentioned that we could use Kapri Bibbs more on first and second down either in the shotgun or as a guy lined up in the slot as a receiver.

Walker thinks despite the limitations with injury on offense that Gruden could and should be getting more out of this unit than he is.

Basically thought that Gruden mentally puts players in boxes - 'he's a third down runner' or 'he's a downfield receiver', etc. and never comes off of those assumptions to see if some guys can expand their roles or show a new look, etc.

When you experiment you sometimes find answers you didn't think you had.

I agree with a lot of what he said.

I have been commenting on the issue of not using our best asset on offense right now, our two receiving tight ends, in tandem to show defenses a new look.

In New England, defenses never did figure out how to stop Gronk and Hernandez.

Hernandez had to stop himself.

Thank you Brother @Om

People complain about us 'winning ugly', but what in the hell do you expect wins to look like when you've literally lost half of your starters on offense and have a new QB to boot? That's not to say there aren't valid criticisms, such as why we aren't making better use of our above average TE group - but it's also possible teams know we can't beat them with our WRs and are keying on those guys. I don't know. But I do know that getting this team to 6-3 with the challenges they've faced, that is a helluva job by this coaching staff.

There's some merit in this line of thinking. Then again, the Iggles lose their starting QB and go on to win the SB. In my mind, injuries alone are not a necessary and sufficient condition to explain the downside. How a FO builds a team, how a FO wickers in quality back-ups, how a FO prepares for injuries (e.g., knowing the good fits), how a coaching staff adapts, how the players adjust and fight through losses, whether a HC holding out players during preseason makes a difference matter a lot.

This is a circular argument.

Yes the team has a lot of injuries but a number of players get hurt each season and appear not to be able to hold up for 16 games but we continue to depend upon them.

So in that regard it is on the team to assess the players' readiness to contribute and ability to do so.

I remember that Gibbs was somewhat cold-hearted in letting players go that couldn't hold up to the grind.

I think we need to look at that organizational blind spot.

Hopefully in 2019 we consider whether we can count on guys like Thompson, Lauvao, Richardson, Kelley, etc.

I am not talking about standouts like Trent Williams or Jonathan Allen that get dinged and miss time.

I am talking about players at the mid level who can be replaced in the marketplace or draft.

Still the same...we control things. Colt McCoy has wanted to be the starter for us, he has the reins the rest of the way...let's see what he can do.

Thanksgiving Day in Dallas...that will say a lot about the remainder of the season.

Eagles suffered the worst loss for a defending Super Bowl champion ever in today's 48-7 blowout in New Orleans.

NFL people were laughing at the Redskins losing to New Orleans 41-19 but the Saints are putting the hurt on everyone.

Can't wait to see Dallas go to New Orleans in a couple of weeks :)

Updated Standings:

Redskins - Current Record 6-5
vs. Texans LOSS
at Cowboys LOSS
at Eagles
vs. Giants
at Jaguars
at Titans
vs. Eagles

Eagles - Current Record 5-6
at Saints LOSS
vs. Giants WIN
vs. Redskins
at Cowboys
at Rams
vs. Texans
at Redskins

Cowboys - Current Record 6-5
at Falcons WIN
vs. Redskins WIN
vs. Saints
vs. Eagles
at Colts
vs. Bucs
at Giants

Obviously, the Redskins have made it infinitely tougher for themselves. To be fair, we should still have a 1 game lead. But as always, we seem to be destined to get the short end of the officiating stick. Had we won both of the last 2 week's games, we likely would've sailed to an NFC East crown. Next Monday's game at the Linc looms large. Dallas currently has the tie-breaker with 1 more NFC East win, although the Redskins have 1 more conference win. Beat the Eagles and even with an unlikely Dallas win against the Saints, the Redskins would take the lead.

The Skins, all other things being equal, still have the easier path from here on. Whether they can rise above the absolutely ridiculous level of injuries, whether Colt McCoy can play better than he did in Dallas, and how many future utterly wrong and soul-crushing bad calls the Redskins will have to endure from inept NFL officials - all that remains to be seen.

It's hard to muster a lot of confidence. But we are far from out of this.

Our final 5 game record during the Gruden era?
2017: 2-3
2016: 2-3
2015: 4-1
2014: 1-4

That doesn't inspire a lot of faith.

Last edited:
Also, we are now in a Wild Card seed at the end of this weekend with the Vikings if they win, or the Seahags if the Vikings lose.

The Panthers at 6-5 have 4 division games 2 against the Saints, 1 Atlanta, and one Bucs. They will lose at least 2 more than likely.

The Seahags have left is KC and the Vikings at home...then 3 division games against SF twice and the Cards.

The Vikings have the toughest schedule with games against the Packers tonight, the Patriots, and divisional games with the Lions and the Bears.

The Packers are not out of it, and I wouldn't put it past Aaron Rodgers to get that team going down the stretch with a schedule that can be conducive for a run, depending on how they go tonight.

Go Pack!

The Eagles control their own destiny. If they win 2 in a row against us and Dallass...they are in first place.

Last edited:
Update:

Redskins - Current Record 6-6
vs. Texans LOSS
at Cowboys LOSS
at Eagles LOSS
vs. Giants
at Jaguars
at Titans
vs. Eagles

Eagles - Current Record 6-6
at Saints LOSS
vs. Giants WIN
vs. Redskins WIN
at Cowboys
at Rams
vs. Texans
at Redskins

Cowboys - Current Record 7-5
at Falcons WIN
vs. Redskins WIN
vs. Saints WIN
vs. Eagles
at Colts
vs. Bucs
at Giants

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.