• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

OF: Sam Bradford On, You Know, the Redskins Nickname (and stuff)

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
The Daily Redskin 2.4.10

I got a kick out of Hog Haven’s piece on Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford’s interview with Kevin Sheehan on ESPN 980 yesterday. Specifically this part:

Kevin Sheehan: You are of Native American descent, correct?

Sam Bradford: Correct.

Kevin Sheehan: So, out of curiosity, do you have any sort of feelings about the Redskins name?

Sam Bradford: "You know, obviously in Oklahoma there's a large Native American population. There are a lot of opinions on that name....but...I really don't feel like, you know, I need to be, you know, voicing my opinion. You know. If it's something I have to do down the line, you know, then I will, but I just don't feel like I need to address that issue right now."

My first reaction? That Mr. Bradford may not have really, you know, helped himself much. Because like, while he did dodge the question and all—which could mean he feels the blind-side pass rush and moves well in the pocket—it could also mean he’s, you know, like, not all that bright ...

More...

Last edited:
That's how all kids talk these days, unfortunately. Well, most kids anyway. Some guys just don't interview well, and that's the end of the story. Some of the smartest people I've ever known become stammering idiots when in any kind of public speaking situation.

I'd say that's about half true anyway, Lanky. I've raised three kids and been with and around them and their friends a whole lot over the past 20 years. Not too many at the upper range of that age bracket use five "you know's" (Hog's Haven ommitted one) in a sixty-nine word (59 if you subtract the "you know's" ;) ) answer. Just sayin'. It's pretty striking.

That said, I was just having fun with the speech-pattern part. I hope if you read the piece through you'll see that I was commenting more to the substance/thought process behind his answer, as well as reacting to the reaction I've seen so far to it.

My read is that Bradford doesn't want to talk about it.

Which, as you point out, doesn't mean much.

But I also got the feeling that every time he was asked it talk about the Redskins, he really didn't want to talk about it.

He gains nothing by talking about it. I think it shows he might be "Super Smart".

He gains nothing by talking about it. I think it shows he might be "Super Smart".
Agree with the first sentence.

Remains to be, you know, seen on the second. :)

You cover most of the bases with possible reasons for his reaction to the question. My first reaction while reading the piece was his discomfort with the question. I have seen this kid interview before and I can't say I have seen him stammer. Then again, I don't think any of the questions involved his heritage and such a difficult subject.

Now, this brings me to my second thought and a subject you raised. Does his inability to fend off difficult questions transfer to the field? If he cannot face a reporter who has obviously slipped past the "Left Tackle" so to speak, how can he make split second decision to hit the only open receiver in the slot while being chased down by an All-Pro like Ware?

Yesterday we were talking about Jason Campbell and his lack of the "it" factor. I know this is not a scientific answer to the question at hand, but I formed my first opinion of Jason Campbell after watching him in his first interview. When posed with simple questions by the local media after he came to DC, he stammered. My first thought was, "how does this kid expect to survive a blitzing Defense in the NFL when he can't even interview with the local media without clamming up?" And over the years I have stood by that assertion.

I have no idea if this is the case with Sam Bradford. This kid won a Heisman Trophy in one of the most talented conferences in NCAA Football. He appears to have the making of an NFL QB if our Doctor gives him a clean bill of health in light of a fairly serious shoulder injury. In other interviews and tapes that we have seen he seems bright enough. With the amount of exposure he is going to receive in the next 6 weeks, we will see more and know more. Does this kid think he can play for a team that has a tradition entrenched in the name they use when it may conflict with his personal beliefs or heritage?

I think I may be reading too much into this, but I think this is another red flag in the case for those who want Bradford in DC, the uncertainty of a 1st round QB selection to begin with, a serious shoulder injury, and perhaps a replay of Heath Shuler and Jason Campbell?

Please trade down for more picks and address the offensive line Redskins' Front Office? Please?

You cover most of the bases with possible reasons for his reaction to the question. My first reaction while reading the piece was his discomfort with the question. I have seen this kid interview before and I can't say I have seen him stammer. Then again, I don't think any of the questions involved his heritage and such a difficult subject.

Now, this brings me to my second thought and a subject you raised. Does his inability to fend off difficult questions transfer to the field? If he cannot face a reporter who has obviously slipped past the "Left Tackle" so to speak, how can he make split second decision to hit the only open receiver in the slot while being chased down by an All-Pro like Ware?

Yesterday we were talking about Jason Campbell and his lack of the "it" factor. I know this is not a scientific answer to the question at hand, but I formed my first opinion of Jason Campbell after watching him in his first interview. When posed with simple questions by the local media after he came to DC, he stammered. My first thought was, "how does this kid expect to survive a blitzing Defense in the NFL when he can't even interview with the local media without clamming up?" And over the years I have stood by that assertion.

I have no idea if this is the case with Sam Bradford. This kid won a Heisman Trophy in one of the most talented conferences in NCAA Football. He appears to have the making of an NFL QB if our Doctor gives him a clean bill of health in light of a fairly serious shoulder injury. In other interviews and tapes that we have seen he seems bright enough. With the amount of exposure he is going to receive in the next 6 weeks, we will see more and know more. Does this kid think he can play for a team that has a tradition entrenched in the name they use when it may conflict with his personal beliefs or heritage?

I think I may be reading too much into this, but I think this is another red flag in the case for those who want Bradford in DC, the uncertainty of a 1st round QB selection to begin with, a serious shoulder injury, and perhaps a replay of Heath Shuler and Jason Campbell?

Please trade down for more picks and address the offensive line Redskins' Front Office? Please?

I remember hearing Mark Sanchez being interviewed on the radio prior to last years' draft. He was clearly in control and savvy to the ways of he world. This stammering thing makes me very nervous.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

While he might not gain much by talking about it, I have to agree with LSF. The way he answered makes me VERY wary. It might have been too easy to say, "Personally, I have no problem with it but I understand why some people might" and just leave it at that. In his position, I almost HAVE to think he's had some type of public speaking class or training yet he simply didn't sound like he had the ability to think beyond the pat answers he's been coached on.

I think people tend to read way to deeply into stuff like this. Yes, I know it's the off season, and there's little more to do besides picking every single football related tidbit apart. It's not like he got caught off guard by the run of the mill football question.

For most of us, it should have been an simple question for him to answer, but not a one of us is in a position where our future could hinge on a matter of personal beliefs. How would the Redskin faithful feel if he bluntly said he hates the name. I'm fairly sure there would be a scream heard around the world denouncing him, no matter how talented he is.

If he had said he could care less, everything would be warm and fuzzy.

He's walkin on a razors edge because of his heritage, and chosen profession.

I hear ya on all points. But, in a search for a QB with the "it" factor, you have to be concerned by this. I'm looking for the guy who will find a way to win on occasion by the sheer force of his will. Many successful quarterbacks of the past come to mind. A weak personality in this position will not work. It's easy to point to a guy like Farve or Manning, but you can see this awareness and strength in guys of less stature and experience too. Sanchez, Brees, Eli, Romo...even Hasselback. I want a guy who will get in somebody's grill and demand their focus and effort.

I'm a bit wary here.

I just don't see how this equates to a weak personality.

Another thing - he is from Oklahoma I believe, meaning he's most likelý a Cowgirls fan.

Pete, I think you are correct to suggest we may be reading into this a little too much. My concern is that this is just one more red flag that suggests this may not be worth a very high 4th pick in the draft. This is an extremely important decision the FO is making with this pick. It could set the tone for the entire Allen/Shanahan reign.

I want to trust these men to know exactly what they are doing, when/if they choose Bradford, Claussen, Okung, trade down or draft someone no one is expecting like the CB Haden from FL. I am so desperate for a winner here that I don't care who they pick as long as it is right. That's the problem, we will have no idea who is right in this situation for 2 or 3 years from now. Am I patient enough to let it all develop? I think maybe not since I want a trade down for more players now.

And now that Lanky has confirmed he is a Cowgirls fan, well that seals the deal! :anonymous:

I'm of like mind E, and see moving down to get more pics the best move this team can make.

If we can still get a strong QB in round two, I'd love to see them trade down for more picks.

That's the whole problem with the draft. You just don't know, as we've seen first hand with high picks over the years, that didn't pan out. Heath, Desmond, and a host of others have proven that it's a crap shoot. I mean, how do ya really know if a QB will be strong ? There's QB's in the league that have excelled that were later round picks.

That's why I rather get more picks, and focus on the lines first and foremost. The way I see it is, we have an adequate QB for the moment, and putting a solid, competent line in front of him can make all the difference.

Way back when, there were two QB's commin out, and we had our choice of who to draft. Shuler was the better prospect, but in the long run Dilfer had a longer career, and has a Super Bowl ring on his finger. Ya just don't know, so roll the dice, and keep the ol fingers crossed.

After reading Miles' post, it made me think about the high draft picks we have had over the past 20 years. Here are 4 names that immediately come to mind.

Desmond Howard
Heath Shuler
Lavar Arrington
Chris Samuels

Who is the most successful of the bunch?

After reading Miles' post, it made me think about the high draft picks we have had over the past 20 years. Here are 4 names that immediately come to mind.

Desmond Howard
Heath Shuler
Lavar Arrington
Chris Samuels

Who is the most successful of the bunch?

Samuels. Arrington was a great player but never came close to living up to the hype of being the next LT. Shuler and Howard were both busts with us.
While I personally think Lachey and Jacoby were better LTs in Redskins history, Samuels was well worth the draft pick and has been the anchor of this O-line for most of 10 seasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.