• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 11/02/18: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
skinsquotes.png

November 2, 2018

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On injuries:
"Out will be [Jamison] Crowder, ankle; [Chris] Thompson, rib and Trent Williams, thumb-shoulder. Questionable will be [Paul] Richardson, knee; [Montae] Nicholson, hip-neck; [Ryan] Anderson, knee and [Kapri] Bibbs, shoulder. And Keim, [ESPN reporter John Keim], shoulder (laughter)."

On T Trent Williams:
"He had surgery, yes. He had surgery. We'll take it week to week and see how it is."

On the timeline for Williams' recovery:
"We have no idea right now. We'll get him back here. He had it up in Pittsburgh. Once he gets back here, we'll further evaluate it and see where he is and how soon we can get a little thing on there where he can function."

On T Ty Nsekhe:
"Well, he's done it before. He's got some experience in both tackle spots, which is important. He's very much a starting tackle in the NFL. He's playing behind two pretty good ones and the reason why we covet him so much is for situations like this. To have a third tackle like Ty Nsekhe is a luxury not many teams have. He can do it all. He's a good pass blocker. He's good in the run game. He's a big, strong, powerful man. Now, we'll just have to…our third tackle now becomes [Geron] Christian. He's been working hard in practice and hopefully ready to go."

On if Nsekhe is better at left tackle:
"I don't know. You'll have to ask him. But, he's been good at both really. That's the good thing about Ty. You have to be versatile at that third tackle. You have to be able to play both and he's good at both."

On if S Montae Nicholson and S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix will share time on the field:
"Yeah, Ha Ha's up to speed. We have a plan for it on game day and we'll throw it out there. But, I think they'll both play and see where they're at. I think, you know, same thing having three safeties with 'Shaze' [Deshazor Everett] will also get some reps also. Those four safeties will get plenty of playing time. It's a great situation for us to have guys that can come in there and play in different situations."

On T Geron Christian Sr.:
"I think his progression is, you know, we'll see. We like what he's done in practice. He's young. He's got some talent, got good foot speed, quickness. But we'll see. Hopefully we won't have to see, but if he's thrust in there, then he should be ready. He knows the system and been working very hard. But getting out there on game day is a little bit different against guys like [Vic] Beasley and the pass rushers they (Atlanta Falcons) have. I think he'll be more than ready if called upon."

On WR Paul Richardson Jr.:
"Yeah, that's a consideration we have to look at, but he's a very tough guy and he wants to be out there, which is a great thing. We have to keep a close eye on how it's affecting him. If he feels like he's 100 percent and can run full speed than we'll put him out there. If not, then we'll have to make a decision on Sunday. Every indication so far after today, he looked pretty good."

On Richardson's injuries:
"I think the shoulder might have to be looked at after the season but it's something that he's been managing. Like I said, he's a tough guy for as skinny as he is. He's tough. He's fighting through it. I think he's a week, day-to-day, week-to-week guy. I appreciate his work and determination to get out there."

On RB Kapri Bibbs:
"Kapri has filled in nicely really. He's solid in pass protection and obviously receiving. When he's asked to carry the ball he's done a pretty good job. He'll be the third option probably when it comes to carrying the ball behind obviously Adrian [Peterson] and Samaje [Perine]. But third downs, he's our best option for sure and that's a very important down as you well know."

On if he is surprised by Bibbs doing so well as a third down running back:
"I think versatility is key when you're not the go-to guy, you have to be versatile, you have to be able to play every down. He's made himself into that. Randy [Running Backs Coach Randy Jordan] has done an excellent job with him and he's bought into it and filled the role last year when we had the injuries and he's doing the same thing this year."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On T Ty Nsekhe:
"He's very much a starting tackle in the NFL. To have a third tackle like Ty Nsekhe is a luxury not many teams have."

When Jay keeps repeating this, couldn't it work against him in Free Agency ? Seems like it would be more ammunition for both Ty and his agent, to either go elsewhere so he can be a starter, or demand a lot more money here. More likely the former. If a player and his agent keep hearing from a coach that he could start elsewhere, aren't they more likely to investigate that further and leave via FA ?

When Jay keeps repeating this, couldn't it work against him in Free Agency ? Seems like it would be more ammunition for both Ty and his agent, to either go elsewhere so he can be a starter, or demand a lot more money here. More likely the former. If a player and his agent keep hearing from a coach that he could start elsewhere, aren't they more likely to investigate that further and leave via FA ?

Who is gonna sign a 33 year old tackle?
Last year they placed a second round tender on him. I would imagine he probably has it good here and won't find to many teams where he would start or would pay him as a starter but he is like a third starter.

Who is gonna sign a 33 year old tackle?
Last year they placed a second round tender on him. I would imagine he probably has it good here and won't find to many teams where he would start or would pay him as a starter but he is like a third starter.

Didn't realize how old he is. He doesn't seem that old. Because for one, looks like he started playing pro at the age of 27.
Then he sat out 2 years after STL. So he's only been playing 5 years. Maybe he has the body of a 27 year old ?
Shows how good Callahan is. STL didn't want him, and NO team wanted him for a full 2 seasons. He comes here, and becomes a "starting calibre" player. Way to go, Bill !

The thing about Nsekhe is that he is a good LT but really has underperformed at RT.

One has to wonder right now where Geron Christian is in his development. As a #3 pick and having the offseason and half the season to get acclimated we should be able to activate him and expect him to fill the breech in case there are any more injuries.

I hope this is not a case where we are hiding away another draft mistake.

Last year it was Ryan Anderson that as a #2 pick was hidden on the inactive list.

We need to make these top draft choices after Round 1 count and have these guys come in and make a difference for us.

The team can't get to where it wants to go simply with #1 picks, age 30 free agents and lower round picks/UDFAs.

New England consistently gets #2 , #3 and #4 picks that come in and make a contribution, that's one of the secrets to their success.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.