• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 10/31/18 Spooktacular Edition: Gruden, Smith, Clinton-Dix, Quinn

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
skinsquotes.png

October 31, 2018

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On injuries:
"Alright, did not participate [Jamison] Crowder, ankle; [Shawn] Lauvao, calf; [Adrian] Peterson, shoulder; [Paul] Richardson, knee-shoulder; [Chris] Thompson, ribs; [Trent] Williams, thumb-shoulder; [Montae] Nicholson, neck-hip. Limited were [Quinton] Dunbar, shin; [Brandon] Scherff, knee; [Kapri] Bibbs, shoulder; [Ryan] Anderson, knee; [Jordan] Reed, neck. Everybody else was full."

On S Montae Nicholson's status:
"We'll see. He just had a small procedure on his hip, which is normal, which shouldn't hopefully keep him out very long. He's just a little sore today. We'll gauge how he feels tomorrow and hopefully get him ready."

On acquiring S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix:
"Yeah it was an opportunity to get a great player. Ha Ha has proven the fact that he's a good player, great player actually, over the course of his career and came available to us. Bruce [Allen] in the front office pulled the trigger and got him in here. Now it's our job to get him acclimated to the defense and add him to the mix of a good safety group."

On if Clinton-Dix will be ready to play Sunday:
"Yeah, I expect him to be ready to go, yeah."

On CB Quinton Dunbar:
"He's on the right track for sure. He did a little bit more today. I think he is progressing. Hopefully tomorrow he can do a lot more and we'll have a better gauge for where he is. But as usual, after you have a good day of work, we'll see how he feels tomorrow after running on it today."

On TE Jordan's Reed:
"Yeah, he just got…his neck is a little sore. We kept him out a little bit today."

On T Trent Williams:
"I don't have a feel for that one at all. It's really sore right now but hopefully the swelling calms down a little bit and get him in something he can play in and we'll see how it goes."

On pairing S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix with the other safeties:
"I think we'll figure out the roles. Now, I think the big thing is to get Ha Ha in the building, teach him our defense, our terminology, see how far we can get him along [and] up-to-speed, and we'll go from there. We'll figure out how Montae's [Nicholson] doing health-wise. But to add him to that group with Montae and obviously Deshazor [Everett] and D.J. [Swearinger] and [Kenny] Ladler, it's a good thing."

On if he anticipates S D.J. Swearinger Sr., S Montae Nicholson and Clinton-Dix will be on the field at the same time:
"We'll see what happens. Like I said, this is the first time we've really had a chance to see him in person other than watching him on film and playing against them. I know [Greg] Manusky and Torrian [Gray] have never had working with him. So, let's just see how it goes. We'll take it day-by-day. I would imagine that he'll be up to speed quickly. We'll find a role for him."

On if the trade to get Clinton-Dix was increased by Nicholson's injury:
"You know what, I think we heard that he was available, calls were made, and discussions were had and we made a decision to go get him. It wasn't because of this or anything. It was a chance to get a great player to be honest with you. Whatever position that is, if you can add a good player to your football team, you have to do it. I know his contract is what it is, but he can really help us this year and that's an important thing."

On the differences between the Redskins and Atlanta Falcons passing game:
"Well, it's got a core group of receivers and a quarterback that's been together for a little bit with the exception of the rookie from Alabama (Calvin Ridley). Mo [Mohamed] Sanu and obviously Julio [Jones] [have] been together for a while and they have good chemistry together. That makes a big difference. We're focusing a little bit more on the running game. We probably have a lot more rushing attempts and more rushing yards than they do, so I like to compare that stat. It's just different ways to attack. They do a great job through play-action game, their keepers and obviously their down-the-field passing that are drop backs. It'll be another great challenge for us like every week will be, but guarding against Julio and [Calvin] Ridley and 'Mo' Sanu and Matt Ryan will be a tough task. Always the key is getting after the quarterback."

On if Clinton-Dix having a previous relationship with S D.J. Swearinger Sr. is a factor:
"That wasn't a factor at all really. I think the only factor was we have a chance to add a good player to our team and that was it. We'll worry about who plays where, when and how later. But, let's get him in the building, teach him the system and try to get him in somehow someway."

On if the trade for Clinton-Dix indicates the team is all in:
"I don't know what year we haven't been all in. We're always all in; at least I try to think we are. Like I said, I don't know how the discussions started, but we had a chance to add him and we did. We've been all in since we started training camp and OTA's, in my opinion and that won't change no matter what."

On the issues involving the receivers in the passing game:
"Well, some of it is attention to detail, but it didn't happen a whole lot. There are just a few instances where that happened and that can happen from time to time. Guys moving around in different spots, like you said, but guys missing practice from time to time. But for the most part, we've got to get that corrected. We had a big meeting about it today and discussed the issues that we have, but really we're not far off. I know it's hard to believe, I've said that a couple weeks now in a row, but with the running game the way it is we haven't had to have our passing game flourish statistically like everyone wants it to be. As long as we are winning games, protecting the football, that's the most important thing. Our offense will be able to throw the ball eventually, with success."

On balancing the workload for RB Adrian Peterson:
"Yeah you're right, that's the tough thing. I really don't ever think about his age or wearing him down. He's never come to me or Randy [Jordan] and said, 'Hey, I need less workload; I need people to come in for me.' If that happens, then sure I will take it off of him, but he's playing so well right now, when we call a running play, he better be out there. No offense to the other backs that we have, he's just playing really well and he's handling the workload right now. Every game is different. This week we might have to throw the ball a little more, they might load up the box and we'll have to throw it a little bit more, but right now he's in a great place. He's still feeling his way through some of these different types of runs that we have and he's handling them extremely well and I expect him to be a major part of our offense moving forward. He has to be right now, the way we are throwing the ball. Once we get the balance to where we want it, I think we can be a lot more effective on offense."

On RB Byron Marshall practicing today:
"Yeah, we started his IR thing so he's going to be one our guys that we are going to activate off IR either next week or the week after."

On if he has decided on the other IR return:
"Not yet, no."

On getting the connection between QB Alex Smith and TE Jordan Reed to a high level:
"Yeah we targeted him I think 10 or 12 times last week, missed him four or five so I think with some of the routes he runs it just takes some getting used to and that will come. It should have been here by now, but we just missed uncharacteristically on a couple of balls outside, we just threw it out of bounds and a little option route we over threw him. There are some things we can clean up with Jordan, some things we can clean up with Alex, but for the most part, it's good to get those guys the work, get them on tape, talk about them and move forward, but they'll get it together."

On WR Trey Quinn:
"I think he's very close to being able to practice if we choose to. It just depends on how he rehabs and he's close. I think he's running a little bit, he's jogging, but once he gets to be full speed then we'll make that decision if we want to activate him."

On WR Jamison Crowder:
"Ah shoot, I was hoping he would do something today but he's still a little sore, so we've got to be patient with him. The things that he has to do in the slots with cuts and full speed bursts, he's got to be right so he's not there yet."

On how WR Maurice Harris has played in the slot:
"Mo is really good in the running game as far as blocking. That's just one thing, it's part of the reason our success in the running game has been so much better, I should say, is because of Mo Harris and Michael Floyd and the bigger receivers and Josh Doctson's blocking. That's kind of hurt us in the past a little bit. You don't block the safety; it's a gain of three. If you block the safety, it's a gain of 12. Those guys are doing a great job in the running game, which in turn will help out our play actions as we get going."

QB Alex Smith

On areas where the offense needs to improve:
"I think you analyze everything across the board as far as improving execution. I think that happens week in and week out. I think the ones that stand out though are the situational stuff, the third downs that you don't convert because they would have given you a whole other rack of opportunities. The red zone, obviously because it's so vital. I think the situational stuff always tends to jump out when you don't execute, because of its magnitude, but certainly I think, it could first or second down too and you're still obviously trying to correct any of those things. Like I said, the situational stuff, certainly there is a premium to operate."

On his impressions of S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix:
"Good player. He's a safety that I think has a lot of tools and I think that's important right now in football, the way football is going, safeties get put in a lot of different situations, with what offenses are doing now. Not only do you have you, you just to just have a box safety and a post safety and that was kind of the deal and now I think either of those guys with what offenses are doing, can get put in space, get manned up on guys, they can get put in the box, they need to be able to tackle, they need to be able to play the post when they have to. I think a little bit, you kind of need a player like that, that's a little bit of a jack of all trades, can do a little bit of everything because of all the situations they can end up in."

On how he feels about the use of RPOs:
"It is one of those things week-to-week. Some weeks it makes a ton of sense and even feel like some weeks you can predict that in the week of prep and what we're seeing on film that, 'Hey it's going to be a big week for this.' Sometimes it doesn't make as much sense and sometimes in game you never totally know how teams will react to things. I think we've seen some different adjustments that teams have made to us, in game, to some of it. I think as we continue to kind of build on it you have a more sophisticated deal around it – the things off of it – the things that go with it, stuff like that. So, it is a week-to-week thing though based on what we are seeing in our matchups and the schemes that they run."

On if he has a preference between RPO and traditional play calling:
"No, no I don't. I mean I like both. I feel like we have both, we do a lot of both. Sometimes it's nice. I do think you don't always have to be right with the call sometimes, you know, you don't have to predict coverage, pressure, loaded box, not loaded, I think it kind of takes care of all that stuff. Depending on how aggressive the defense wants to be, or not, you've got answers."

On what RB Adrian Peterson has meant to the offense:
"It's tough to put into words anything like that. I think to one player, certainly he's a guy that's been our bell cow back there, bringing a lot of physicality, a lot of energy and a guy I think we are asking a lot of and we're moving around and I think he's enjoying that. You've seen him get a chance and an opportunity to do things he hasn't always had the chance to do in his past, some of the gun-run stuff, some of the catching out the backfield and to see the playmaking all over the field has been fun. He's a guy that we feed off of, I know the mindset and attitude that he brings certainly fits with what we want to be about up front and our style of play."

On strengthening the connection with TE Jordan Reed:
"Without a doubt, yeah, he and I talk all the time. No question, I think you are always building on that chemistry. I talk about that a lot. But you are always trying to continue to build, certainly neither of us are content with where we are at, we have a long way to go and just looking to build on it every single week."

On if he is thinking too much about turning the ball over:
"No, I don't feel like I have at all. I don't feel like I've turned down any opportunities or chances down field because of cautiousness or anything like that. I feel like you've got to be able to pull the trigger. We are trying to score points, trying to move the football. I can't think of a situation this year ever where I felt like I was being cautious with the football, not to say you don't miss things, but it's not because of that. I think you do that with your fundamentals, you do that with your decision making, location of the football, ball handling in the pocket, two hands on the ball, ball security, things like that when you are handling it, you let your fundamentals take care of that."

On the message that is sent from acquiring Clinton-Dix:
"I don't know about messages or anything like that, I don't want to get into that too much. Certainly, yeah we are trying to get better in all areas. There are so many areas to a football team, certainly us as players trying to get it corrected in the meeting rooms and on the field and obviously try to work, but obviously there is the personnel side of this as well that we don't have a lot of control over. But everybody's on board in this building with what we are trying to do."

On how defensive tackles and pressure up the middle affects quarterbacks:
"I think a lot of times as quarterbacks we get trained within our pocket movement. A lot of times you do get trained with edge pressure, you get trained a lot of times, wherever it may be with free rushers, how to avoid, things you can do, escape drills, all that stuff. I mean quarterbacks get taught a lot on that. There's not much you can do when you just get interior push up the middle. It affects you in a lot of ways; vision, it's hard to see, it's tough to step into throws and like I said, it's not something you train as far as an escape route. There isn't necessarily a lot of times a place to go – you're just getting pushed – it's a little suffocating sometimes when that happens. It's tough to train for and tough to play against."

On what has impressed him about OL Ty Nsekhe filling in for OL Trent Williams:
"I think the biggest compliment could be that nothing changes, we don't skip a beat. Play calling-wise, run, pass, you name it, nothing really skips a beat and that is very, very rare in this league. I think when in the middle of the game, your All-Pro left tackle goes out, it's a rarity to have a guy like Ty to step in and do what he does."

On learning players' idiosyncrasies:
"There are times when you are playing a peer zone defense and we are throwing a timing route and we're spacing the field that there is a premium on where guys have to be, where they are supposed to be on time and I have to throw the ball on time and accurately and I think there is a premium on that. But, certainly when you are playing man defenses, the route is kind of a living thing and I'd say if anything, most of the time it's between the two, when you are playing a zone team, but a lot of times they man up in the zone and they play leverage and things like that. There is really a premium on both the receiver and quarterbacks seeing the same thing and reacting to it the same way and I think that's the hard part. You are seeing the same thing on the fly, reacting to it the same way. There are times when it is cut and dry, when its pure zone and we're spacing the field and timing routes and there are times when it's purely man and you just beat him. But, a lot of times it's a blend of the two and I think you've got to see the same thing, react to it the same way."

On how hard it is to build chemistry between players who are dealing with injuries:
"I think it's complicated for a ton of reasons, not just that. I think every team kind of deals with that. I think it's complicated because on a weekly basis it changes based on the kind of scheme you are seeing. You try to get a lot of that predicted on the practice field, in the meeting rooms, you talk about it. You can't get it all done though there. I think some of that just takes reps and accumulation. I think a blend of obviously new faces that come in and we're all kind of learning it together. There's so much that goes into that, that's why it is obviously hard to get and it's something you are constantly working on."

On the difference in practice reps versus game reps:
"You can never totally simulate what a game rep will look like. The edge you play with on game day, as far as speed and physicality, it would be reckless to do it out here on the practice field. So you just can't get that done a lot of times without the huge risk of injury. I think you try to do the best you can out here, but there is always a difference."

S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

On the last 24 hours:
"It happened at about 3:58 [p.m.]. I got a call from [Green Bay Packers General Manager] Brian Gutekunst down in Green Bay. He told me I had just been traded to Washington. My emotions were super high. I gave Green Bay my all and I'm excited about a new start. I'm at a place where I love. I love Sean Taylor. I love this game. played here a few weeks ago man. My eyes always light up every time I play here. I'm happy to be a part of this organization and I'm ready to keep things going and that's on to the next W and that's Atlanta [Falcons]."

On playing with S D.J. Swearinger Sr.:
"Well, if you watched when we played them (Redskins) Week 3, I caught an interception and I went to the sidelines and dapped him up. I'm real close with him. I watch a lot of his games. I study his tape. I love the way he plays the game. I'm excited to be back there with him. There's a lot I can learn from. A lot of Bama guys out here to as well. I'm ready to get in and contribute in any way I can and help this team win."

On what he thinks he can add to this team:
"My leadership, my hustle to the ball, my effort. You can't control effort. Just being a veteran player now. Being able to go get the ball, create turnovers and take this team to another level man and keep things going."

On his admiration of Sean Taylor:
"He's one of the best in the game. He's one of the best to ever play this game and that's not just for the money but because of the love of the game. He was a leader. He didn't talk much but he led by example, and he set great examples. So that's somebody you want to admire, somebody you want to look up to and someone you want to feed off of. There's no way I can be Sean Taylor, but he's a guy that I look up to and I model my game after him."

On what it feels like to be a Redskin with his admiration of Sean Taylor:
"It's a blessing. Everything happens for a reason. I'm excited to be here. I'm a man of God and one thing that always came to me was be ready for change. Change is here. I'm accepting it. I'm accepting my role here on this team and I'm ready to play ball. I'm so excited to be here. You guys don't even understand. You'll see."

On talking schemes with Head Coach Jay Gruden and Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky:
"Well this is my first day here. I look forward to getting involved any way possible. I met with Jay earlier today. I met a lot of people since I've been here so things have been going full speed for me right now. I just finished working out so practice is next. I had a great walkthrough and I'm just ready for the next task."

On how his workout today went:
"I just finished the workout and its way different than it was in Green Bay. Guys are juiced up in here. Strength and Conditioning coaches, they're juiced up. I'm very proud to be a part of something special."

On working out in the offseason with S D.J. Swearinger Sr.:
"Yeah, I did. That was in Miami. Two men who love this game, who play for their families, who play for their friends, who play for their coaches, who play for their teammates and it was all balls-to-the-walls this offseason and we had fun doing it. Like I said, when you're competing with a guy that loves the game as much as you do, you can never get bored in this league."

On his impression of the fans at FedExField:
"Every time I came here, I've felt like I was at home. From the crowd, from the stands, from the fans, even to the band – I love the band. Their locker room was right across the hall from ours everytime we played here for away games and I always stuck my head in and told them thank you and how much I appreciated them. So, just coming back here now and being a part of it really means a lot to me."

On his approach going into this year knowing he will be a free agent and if anything changes with the trade to Washington:
"I tend to let my eyes do the talking for me. I watch guys like Micah Hyde and Casey Haywood leave Green Bay, who were phenomenal players, who treated the game and approached the game as pros and to see their time come to an end in Green Bay, I could only imagine what my time would be like. I played the cards I was dealt, the Redskins took a chance on me. I'm telling you, I'm so excited to be here and I'm just going to continue playing the cards that are dealt to me and I'm excited to be here."

On if he will be ready to play this Sunday:
"Check this out. I got practice in about an hour. I came here to play. I came here to work. Even if that's on special teams, I'm just helping contribute to this team any way I can, because number 20 is going to be suited up this weekend, and you can bet that."

On compartmentalizing his emotions:
"The NFL is a big family. Every guy in this league I follow on the internet. Every guy in this league I treat and have a high level of respect for because they play this game and they play it with a passion. So, I'm just coming over to another family. I'm glad to be here and glad to be a part of something special and I'm ready to get things rolling."

On how he can elevate the defense:
"Well, I've been around the media for a very long time and I'm a guy that lets my play speak for itself. I just came from Green Bay. I've been working my ass off my entire life. I'm excited to add to something new here, that's already on the high rise, just me becoming a key component to this team and I'm excited about that."

On if he wants to share anything with the fans:
"I'm excited to be here. I'm excited to work, I'm happy to be a part of this organization, I can't preach that enough and I'm ready to put on a show. I'm ready to have fun doing it. I'm glad to be here. Roll Tide."

Atlanta Falcons Head Coach Dan Quinn

On what he's made of the Redskins defensive line this season:
"I've really got to know them and [Matt] Ioannidis well because I really studied the three of those guys, even prior into the draft. It's cool when you see a player really come through in a way that suits their styles. I thought it was an excellent job by Washington in terms of putting the players in the system that suits their style so well and the physicality, the strength, I've always thought for a long time Jim [Tomsula] does a nice job with the defensive line. But you also have to have the right fit to do it. I thought those are good ones to say that the player fits the scheme that you want to run and all three of those guys inside, they are a real factor in how they're playing and they certainly have our respect. I've known about them for a while and I thought it was true of how they play their ball."

On what he makes of RB Adrian Peterson's success at his age:
"The same guys asked the same question here today. I think that's an awesome question for postseason, but right now we are saying, 'How do we defend this guy, who's got the ability to jump cut and explode up the field?' We are certainly impressed. As a running back, the longer that you get, is there any change of speed or explosion, so when you watch him play, you don't see that from his ability to jump cut and then accelerate again. At this point, all we know is that, ‘Hey, we better do one hell of a job,' in terms of tackling, owning our leverage, getting our pad level right because he's certainly off to an excellent start. We've coached against (Washington Redskins Offensive Line Coach) Bill Callahan for a long time and from a run game stand point, it really suits the runner as well as the scheme that they are doing. I think that goes along with the two – do you feature the style of play that the runner does best and that's certainly the case with their offense at the moment."

On if he has to lean on the pass game against the Washington Redskins strong run defense:
"It's always at the front of our thinking because what we are looking to do is always find ways to find explosive plays. So that's in the run game, in the pass game. For us, we just so happened that the run game is an important part of what we do, so for sure, although they are excellent at it, you've got to attack and find ways to create space because that's also often where some of the play action comes from, it's where the bootlegs and the keepers come from. So, having balance is important, but at the same time, you've got to find ways to create space because of how they've played inside, it makes it more difficult. But, at the same time, it's part of our style too, the way we run it, how we attack and we've got work to do to improve in that area. We're looking forward to the matchup, although they've certainly played well inside, it's a real part in what we do, finding that balance."

On if game plan changes with the Washington Redskins acquisition of S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix:
"Yeah, I would say you try to see what the player that they're adding to it. Ha Ha has been such an impact player at free safety. The way they use [D.J.] Swearinger, he's down by the line of scrimmage a lot, you know, much like a strong safety does. But, I can tell you one thing, I've been impressed by their secondary and they're ability to ball hawk. Between their safeties, their corners, their ability not just from interceptions but forcing fumbles. So, add another guy to the mix that has a real awareness for the football, I think that's a good addition. Generally, when you add a guy to your team you're featuring him and the things that he does well, and that's how you put him into the mix. He's very familiar with middle field defense and how to play in that style. He's been part of a complex system at Green Bay. They run plenty on defense through his time with Dom [Former Green Bay Packers Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers] and now with Mike, [Green Bay Packers Defensive Coordinator Mike Pettine] so fitting in and starting in a three-four system in the base package and the nickel package with Greg [Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky], I'm sure there will be some carryover from a system and a style standpoint."

On WR Calvin Ridley:
"I thought I'm anxious for you guys to see him and understand his speed and ability to go. When we scouted him, he had real ability to run full speed and then break somebody off with a cut, so sometimes that's where the explosive plays come where he doesn't have to slow down to change direction if you can picture that. Not everybody can do that. Some people have to run and then slow down or chop their feet to change. He has the ability to really accelerate and change direction. Julio [Jones] does too. When we saw him in Alabama, we said, ‘Okay what would he be in our offense and how would we feature him?' He really came into the season and really into the offseason with some things to prove. He's been an excellent – you know, Julio and Mohamed [Sanu] have been excellent mentors to Cal. They really hold him to a standard and really push him. But, at the end of the day, we're just trying to feature him and the other guys in the very best way at the things that they do well. He's definitely been an impact for our team so far and I really see him improving as we're, starting for us kind of the second half of the year after our bye last week."

On the adjustments with RB Devonta Freeman out:
"Well, what we've done is Ito Smith, we've really featured two guys at running back for quite some time and for a long time it has been Devonta and 'T-Co', Tevin [Coleman]. When we did that, we featured them in that way. As Ito has gone on during the season, Devonta has missed quite a few games, so he's really gained experience as we're going. The thing that helps quite a bit is that both Devonta and Tevin, much like [Chris] Thompson is, they are both really used as a weapon in the pass game as well, so you have to have really good hands in this offense, you have to be able to catch it out of the backfield, so having the ability for Ito to be both in the run game and the pass game, that's a real factor for us. You don't replace Devonta, his toughness, his change of direction but we lean on Tevin a little bit more, but it's certainly not a one man operation but we do love the way those two guys can attack. Much like Devonta has his great change in direction and can break you off in the pass game because he can see leverage and break it. Ito has a lot of that and 'Tev' has the speed, the long speed, where a play can go the distance. He gets some explosive plays, both in the run and the pass due to that speed. So we're always looking for ways to create space for the running backs, both in the run game and in the pass game."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the questionnaire alone, the word "certainly" is spoken 14 times.
Wouldn't be surprised if there was another word spoken more often.

?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't actually go through the whole thing, looking and counting every single "certainly"
I'm not that bored. :)
I just happened to want to find a particular sentence that I previously knew had the word certain in it, so I did "Control-F", and typed certainly,
and Firefox told me it appeared 14 times. I thought that was unusual, and that is must be one of those "coach-speak" words that they repeat a lot.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.