• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Acquire Safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix from Packers

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
October 30, 2018

REDSKINS ACQUIRE S HA HA CLINTON-DIX

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have acquired safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix from the Green Bay Packers in exchange for a fourth-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Clinton-Dix will be available to the media at the Inova Sports Performance Center at Redskins Park on Wednesday, Oct. 31 at 12:15 p.m.

Clinton-Dix (6-1, 208) is a five-year NFL veteran who entered the league as the No. 21 overall pick by the Green Bay Packers in the 2014 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 71 career regular season games with 65 starts.

Clinton-Dix has started every regular-season and postseason game for Green Bay since the start of the 2015 season. He has recorded 14 career interceptions for 116 yards in regular-season play to complement 373 tackles (294 solo), 25 passes defensed, 5.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

In postseason play, he has started all seven games in which he has appeared and has registered three interceptions for 48 yards, 30 tackles (24 solo), 11 passes defensed and one tackle for loss. His three career postseason interceptions are tied for No. 1 in the NFL (Panthers LB Luke Kuechly and Patriots S Duron Harmon) since he entered the league in 2014.

For the 2018 campaign, he currently has three interceptions for 25 yards, 27 tackles (24 solo), three passes defensed, one sack and a forced fumble. The three interceptions on the season is tied for second most in the league heading into Week 9.

In 2017, Clinton-Dix started all 16 games for the third consecutive regular season, finishing third on the team with 86 tackles and second with three interceptions. He was named to his first career Pro Bowl in 2016 and earned second team All-Pro recognition from The Associated Press and All-NFC honors from the PFWA after leading the team with a career-high five interceptions (tied for No. 5 in the NFL and No. 2 among safeties).

At the end of the 2015 season, Clinton-Dix set a career high with a team-leading 117 tackles (97 solo) and recorded a career-best three sacks, the most by a Green Bay safety in a season. For his rookie season in 2014, he played in all 16 games in 2014, starting the final 10 contests of the season. It was the most starts by a Packers rookie safety since 2005. Since entering the league in 2014, Clinton-Dix's 14 interceptions are tied for the eighth most in the NFL in that time span. His 5.5 sacks during that frame are tied for the fifth most in the NFL among safeties.

Clinton-Dix played collegiately at Alabama and was a consensus All-America selection in 2013 as a junior, earning first-team recognition from The Associated Press, the Football Writers Association of America and Sporting News. He was named the team's Defensive Player of the Week four times in 2013.

Clinton-Dix, 25, attended Dr. Phillips H.S. in Orlando, Fla. where he earned USA Today High School All-America honors in 2010. He was born December 21, 1992.

-REDSKINS-

All of these 'Bama Beasts on D... they'll be known as The Red Tide...sounds catchy to me... Redskins now with a bit of their college nickname.

Welcome Ha Ha!

A take from the Milwaukee paper ... if he's reading it right, the move seems to make a lot more sense at least from the GB perspective.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...-house-order-pair-necessary-deals/1821324002/

And so, Clinton-Dix was shipped off to Washington for what an NFL source said was a fourth-round pick and Montgomery was jettisoned to Baltimore for what NFL Network reported was a conditional seventh-rounder in 2020.
It's not exactly a king's ransom for a starting safety and a part-time running back and returner. But it also isn't a fire sale.

Clinton-Dix hadn't played well all season, missing way too many tackles, abandoning the middle too often in the red zone and giving up too many completions in coverage. He did have four turnover plays, including an important forced fumble in the San Francisco victory, but his good did not outweigh his bad.

Your free safety cannot be one of the team leaders in missed tackles (at least seven) and he can't be party to three of the first 10 passing touchdowns allowed if he wants to be paid like a Pro Bowl player. Because his speed is average, he couldn't recover from being out of position or taking a poor angle and needed to be much better in alignment and technique.

Clinton-Dix was under the impression he deserved to be rewarded for all he had done in his four-plus seasons with the Packers, including a Pro Bowl honor in 2016 and an iron-man participation streak.

It was a mistake on his part because the NFL is a prove-it league and the Packers didn't like the way Clinton-Dix's poor 2017 ended in Detroit when he appeared to pass up some tackles. They decided to see how 2018 went before negotiating a long-term deal with him.

Clinton-Dix should have known that if they had let players like Randall Cobb, Bryan Bulaga, Mason Crosby and Sam Shields sweat it out until days before their contracts expired, they would probably do it with him. They had let defensive backs Morgan Burnett, Micah Hyde and Casey Hayward walk and so it was certainly possible they were going to do the same with him.

After Clinton-Dix spoke out several weeks ago about being certain he would be somewhere else next season, the Packers knew there was no going back and decided it was better to deal him now and receive a sure draft pick than wait to see if they would get a compensatory pick for him in 2020 after he left in free agency.

The best you can do in the compensatory drawing is a third-round pick and that is usually only pegged to someone who signs a massive contract and has a great first season with his new team. The Packers got a fourth-round pick from Washington, which is pretty good all things considered...

I heard some of that during the game Sunday evening. We'll have to hope this is a case of new environment and all.

I will say this about Green Bay...for a team who has the best QB in the game, they are squandering his talents.

That sounds like a lot of rationalizing to justify getting a relative pittance in return for what nearly every NFL analyst considers one of the leagues most talented safeties. Also sounds like a little ego involved (and there's plenty of that in Green Bay)... if his comments about being somewhere else next season had any role in this. Not like this guy has been a problem child on or off the field.

As far as ‘having a poor 2018', I haven't seen anyone else express that assessment.

I think we got a total steal for very little and I think he's going to love playing for our D staff. If he won't resign for a reasonable deal we still come out ahead. Most of the NFL analysts I respect think we jobbed the Packers.

Btw - this Packers staff and FO are going to be known mostly for nearly completely wasting the Aaron Rodgers era - with 1 whopping SB appearance with maybe the most talented QB to ever play the game under center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be right, Boone. I haven't seen any other similar takes either, among the general praise we've been getting for the move.

Of course, you could also be rationalizing. ;)

Maybe we should poke around on a couple Packers forums to see what the rank and file actual Packer fans think. As we've seen ourselves, no one really has a better handle on a team than those who obsess over their teams from soup to nuts for their entire lives.

Maybe we should poke around on a couple Packers forums to see what the rank and file actual Packer fans think. As we've seen ourselves, no one really has a better handle on a team than those who obsess over their teams from soup to nuts for their entire lives.

Did a quick perusal. By my un-scientific estimate I'd say pleased/displeased is about 50/50.

Apparently Dix was ... an odd duck and maybe not liked in the locker room. Most also say he's better than anyone they still have on the roster and this was definitely a 'next year' move for the Packers. Very few posters claiming he flat-out sucks but a fair amount of 'overrateds'. Dunno.

Since the death of Sean Taylor, we have suffered through some dismal years at safety.

DJ started turning that tide when he got here. Now, with Dix in the house, we have the potential for the safety position to be a bonafide strength of this defense.

Might take a few weeks for the full effect to start showing up on a regular basis, but I love the thought of sound, professional, safety play.

I don't think this can be a bad move. But certainly can be a GREAT one.

I know we all have our fingers crossed that it will.

Roll Burgundy!!!

Great in coverage and a poor tackler is the line you'll see used to describe him.

Green Bay is hopeful that Bashaud Breeland will be able to move to safety and secure the position.

Speaking of Breeland, his play and that injury really seem to have derailed what was once a very promising career.

After leaving Washington, he signed a 3 year, $24 million deal prior to the disclosure of the injury. That deal was immediately terminated and he began a road tour around the league to find a new home.

He settled in Green Bay on a 1 year, vet minimum show-me deal. He's yet to take a snap this season, with a hamstring issue being the latest culprit.

I think he'll sign a fair deal this offseason and we'll be set on the back end for several years, to go along with the d-line.

He'll be on dancin with the stars one day! Ha HA does the Cha Cha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.