• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Patrick Peterson Question

That's a fair point of course. But we also know you handle the QB position differently than any other. If we were following my advice strictly we'd either have gone with Colt and kept our pick/player or we'd have gone after a youngster like Bridgewater. They obviously felt like those weren't viable options and had to do something to secure a starter. Your point is well taken though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we weren't already carrying Josh Norman's salary the addition of Peterson would be a great move for this organization.

He is a consummate pro, a consistent pro bowler with rare man on coverage skills. At 30, he would seem to have another couple of years to play at a high level and unlike Norman would not be a distraction off the field.

But we do have Norman and his cap number so making any deal of this magnitude to take on salary is a non-starter.

I agree we need to upgrade the offense.

But today's game combined with the diminishing numbers for Smith from the first few weeks of the season makes me concerned a lot of this is now on Smith himself rather than the receivers.

Sprinkle and Harris were open for touchdowns against the Cowboys.

If we had made those two plays and had 3 passing touchdowns nobody would have been crying about the offense's lack of production.

Today, Josh Doctson had 5 catches but for only 43 yards. Likewise, Jordan Reed only average 8.5 yards per catch.

These are running back numbers in terms of yardage.

So, who's to blame for that? We may be questioning what we have in Doctson but we know from past experience that Jordan Reed can beat linebackers, safeties and corners down the field. We know he can make athletic plays in traffic to take the ball away from defenders.

But the lack of big plays from a seemingly healthy Reed to me is a troubling sign for Alex Smith.

The question we have to ask is going out and re-acquiring DeSean Jackson via trade from Tampa or Demaryius Thomas from the Broncos really going to help us if the real problem is Smith, the trigger man?

That's the $64,000 question.

Norman is playing at a high level. Period. Peterson is too costly. This stupid discussion will be moot in two days.

Norman didn't look that great down the field in a number of games earlier this season. He came back after the off the field criticism from Smoot and others to play better starting in the Carolina game, but even there after a fine first half he was beaten a number of times in the second half.

Norman is what he is, a zone corner. Because his man cover skills are simply adequate he really isn't a guy that is going to dominate individual match-ups the way that Patrick Peterson can and has in the past.

In that regard he is similar to Richard Sherman. Asked to do what a physical corner with 4.6 speed is good at doing, then Norman is an asset to a defense.

But with a group of rookies, second year guys and free agents on the team this year the Redskins are holding their breath at cornerback.

We survived Beckham, Shepard and Engram today largely because of the pass rush and Manning's inaccuracy on his deep throws.

I shudder to think what Brady or Brees would have done with those weapons on the outside today.

Stroman is the one who struggled. When Norman was assigned to Beckham, the coverage was better. But we are talking the best receiver in the game. They had no touchdowns until a meaningless late score. Beckham had zero touchdowns today.

Bulldog makes a great point about DeSean. If the only time that Smith gets him the ball is on a screen, then we'll all just get incredibly frustrated.

We also just signed Richardson to play the same position. It's highly unlikely that we'll sign him.

Zero chance we get DJax.
Why would the same exact FO who allowed him to walk without making him an offer, actually give up something to trade back for him, especially when he's 2 years closer to retiring ?

Last edited:
Pierre Garcon is also receiving interest from teams, according to 1-7 HC Kyle.

I still believe we're likely to stick with what we have.

I just don't see us at 5-2 pulling the trigger on a big splash trade, quite frankly any trade that would include anything higher than a 5th I just don't see us diving in. Then again, this is the Redskins, when the waters seem calm, it can be a façade.

Redskins are in a different position now.

When Jackson and Garçon were set to be free agents the Redskins had drafted Doctson and thought they had their #1 moving forward.

Now with no clear lead playmaker at WR and a 34 year old quarterback who is struggling to find his game the equation has changed a bit.

When you factor in that our MVP so far Adrian Peterson is 33 years old and TE Vernon Davis is 34, is the idea of adding a 31 year old receiver that unpalatable?

Given the ages of those offensive skill players the Redskins are going to have to invest some draft pick and FA resources in 2019 on that side of the ball in any event.

Given we are 5-2 right now and the division is wide open I don't see any issue with going ‘all in' to try and win and host a home playoff game in January.

The price in terms of comp in any deal has to be right - I am not in favor of giving away the store.

But given the ages of some of our key players in 2018 I am not necessarily scared away by the ‘30' year old tag placed on available players.

Eh, we're winning with what we've already got. And it certainly not unreasonable to expect improvement as we move along. Both with guys getting healthy again, and time itself. We have to stop being so schizophrenic. One day we're bitching about needing to save draft choices and patiently build through the draft. Then 5 minutes after trying to do just that, we're calling for trading away picks for Band-Aids that might not even be necessary.

I say we roll with the guys we have.

When you factor in that our MVP so far Adrian Peterson is 33 years old and TE Vernon Davis is 34, is the idea of adding a 31 year old receiver that unpalatable?

That is exactly WHY it is unpalatable. Why would we want to get even older? Why would we want to lose more picks when we've already got some replacing to do?

I have to give it to the Skins. They actually did rebuild the defense from the line out. That's ... well, that's uncharacteristically awesome. Patience, and good drafting have given us a mighty fine defense. Let's learn from that, and now do the same for the offense. Patience, and good drafting.

We should have kept one of our WRs two years ago. Letting both Garcon and Jackson go in the same offseason was a brutal mistake. Let's not compound it now by spending draft picks to bring one of them back.

Good Lord, that would be classic Redskins.

if we were one player away from being a serious contender id say go for pete, but we are not. we need upgrades on the Oline and in multiple spots in the secondary and LB core and even if ap keeps the pace we know he is getting older and Guice is unlikely to come back from a serious knee, (guys like Terry allen and Frank Gore are the exception not the rule) so RB is a need and I think we all know by now that WR is a massive hole on this roster and at 34 smith is not getting younger either.

so no, we better not be trading high round picks for anything short of a franchise qb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.