• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes Post-Game 10/21/18: Redskins Players

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
skinsquotes.png

REDSKINS QUARTERBACK ALEX SMITH

On the field goal attempt:
“I was going nuts. I wasn't sure if Jay [Gruden] was going to try to call the timeout or not and try to ice him, play that game. I didn't know – you're looking around for any flags and making sure it's officially official. Then you're celebrating. It's a big win, it's hard, it's really really hard to win football games in this league, especially against a team like that within the division. It was a hard-fought game, and you don't always want them to come down to that kind of dramatic finish, but we'll take it.”

On being first in the division:
“No, I think the division game means a ton because you know there's going to be huge ramifications down the line. It's almost worth two with the head-to-head, I think that's the biggest thing. I think records and first place—we're six games in, it's pretty early to talk about that kind of stuff. But you do realize that those division games down the line have huge ramifications as far as the division goes in the NFC.”

On his play in the first half to TE Jeremy Sprinkle:
“Yeah, I mean I think for us offensively, specifically myself –redzone I think obviously jumps out right away post game. If we do a better job in the redzone, then the game could have ended much differently maybe not as dramatic. We could have opened that up a little, situational football we talked about it a lot. We gotta be better at it—I certainly had my shot obviously with Sprink[Jeremy Sprinkle], sailing that ball putting too much air on it but we gotta get better down there we got down there. I feel like we marched it down a few times and to get inside the five inside the ten you know against these hard fought games those are big big plays.”

On the wind's impact on play calling:
“I felt like the only ball that got impacted by wind was the ball to Mike [Floyd] just on the out—it certainly did kind of rise on me. I don't think it affected the ball to Josh [Doctson] at all, I was trying to rip that ball off the seam and the safety's coming over the top and those are the things that you miss it by a yard. Certainly, was more of a time issue there at the end when we put up the Hail Mary, we didn't have enough time to get down in bounds and get to field goal range.”

On run at the end of the game:
“Yep, you saw that huh? You know the situation. We're in four minutes, I know they had one time out left. I didn't first see myself initially stepping out and having that grasp. For me I knew a first down would end the game and I did have glimpses of myself getting the first down whatever it took. They were kinda on the yard to make. I saw the line and potentially jumping for it, obviously didn't get to that position. I all of a sudden found myself pretty awkward on the sidelines there and can't have it—it could have obviously cost us the game in hindsight at that point, I think kinda abandon ship and go down there on the sideline.”

On his first Redskins vs. Cowboys rivalry game:
“You have been hearing all the history of the last four games, the last two years. I think anybody who is an NFL fan, I think a little bit, is aware of the rivalry across the county. These are old storied franchises that have not liked each other for a long time. Very cool to a part of it though, from me and being humble. You just look up at all those different times when on the sideline and look around the stadium and the kind of atmosphere that it was today. It was very, very cool, especially to be a part of. Humbling”

On the spilt decision to run versus throwing the ball away:
“It is a fine line. I talk with Jay [Gruden] about it a lot. I mean the biggest thing, most of the time you have to keep your eyes up. A lot of times you turn on film the next day, and some guy is busting open because of the threat to run. And all that stuff is happening fast and you try to make good decisions with the ball in your hand. So I think you try to take them all differently. All those little situations you try to catalog all of them. Even the one at the end of the game. That is a four- minute situation we are trying to stay in bounds. Sometimes there are times when you got to take some risk and maybe throw one up and give your guy a chance.”

On Kapri Bibbs and the Chris Thompson imitation:
“I mean I thought guys executing it certainly. [Brandon] Scherff had a great block, kind of on the kick out there with the screen. And then Kapri [Bibbs] doing the rest. The guys down the field though. You don't get those big kind of plays without guys blocking down field. I thought our guys outside all day long in the run game and in the screen. Allowing our backs to get down field and make some plays.”

On overall confidence level with the offense:
“I mean every week is a completely different challenge. I think the goal is just to get better week. Are we, am I, at where I want to be, certainly not. We found a way to win today. And I think kind of continue to progress every week. We have got to get better, we got to continue to makes strides. And I think we have but it is not always going to be smooth every week. Like I said it is a totally different matchup, there is not a ton of carry-over from the week prior. I think you need to keep progressing and I think we have done that thus so far.”

On Josh Doctson being a friendly target:
“I think a lot with Josh [Doctson]. I mean, he has such good ball skills, such a good hands catcher, you know catch the ball away from his body. I think he is physical. We talked about that all week and I thought he played like that today, really physical. I thought he made some really, really big plays for us on a couple of those. And we needed him.”

REDSKINS LINEBACKER RYAN KERRIGAN

Opening statement:
“Before we take questions I wanted to start with a couple things. Obviously the passing of Rich Tandler this past week was really sad and unfortunate for all of us, a guy that you see around the facility every day for me for eight years and to have that happen was a really sad thing, so I want to offer my condolences to his family, to his wife and really to all of us with the Redskins because he's had such a presence in our building over however many years. Also, I want to give a shout out to a boy named Tyler Trent. He's a student at Purdue University, my alma mater. He's battling tough times right now, battling cancer, and a guy that's really inspired a lot of people throughout the Purdue community and I don't know if any of you guys saw the college game day feature on him yesterday, but it was incredibly touching and just a guy that's really uplifted a lot of people so I wanted to give a little shout out to him let him know that I'm thinking about him and we're going to send him my jersey from today just to let him know that we appreciate him and we appreciate the way he's uplifted the Purdue community.”

On the sack strip:
“That play got a little chip on the outside so when I'm getting chipped like that by a tight end I'm trying to just play off the defensive tackle and [Daron Payne] did a good getting up field and clearing a lane for me, the DBs did a good job, made him hold on to the ball, came around and whenever we're trying to tackle a quarterback or any ball carrier, we're aiming to come around with one arm and try to knock them into the general vicinity where the balls probably going to be in, get that ball out and fortunately that's what happened and more fortunately [Preston Smith] was there and didn't have a long jog to touchdown.”

On Daron Payne and the inside line:
“Those guys they've been as advertised. You see why Alabama is so good in football every year because you've got guys like that on the team and for us to play the run like we did today against a running back that's really given us a lot of problems over the past couple years, you've got to give a lot of credit to those guys you know [Daron] Payne, Jon[athan Allen] and Matt [Ioannidis].”

On ability to get at Ezekiel Elliott:
“It's as much of a mindset as anything. We've definitely not taken it personally that they've had so much success running the ball against us the last couple of years. I mean even when Zeke [Ezekiel Elliott] didn't play year, Alfred Morris had a lot of yards against us and so we definitely took that personally and we came out with the mind frame that we were going to stop the run we were going to be physical and we knew that the game was going to be won in the trenches and I think that was clear tonight.”

On Tyler Trent's impact on his performance:
“Definitely been thinking about him a lot, I mean, I follow him on Twitter, I don't know him too well. Personally we've had a couple of exchanges on Twitter, but you can just tell he's an outstanding human being the way Purdue athletics has rallied around him and really Purdue University, the whole school has rallied around him. You just see what kind of person he is and I definitely was thinking about him today when I was playing.”

On the Cowboys' win from Week 6 and if it motivated the Redskins:
“Certainly, they played a hell of game last week against the Jags [Jacksonville Jaguars]. Yeah for us we didn't want that to continue. We wanted to come out and put our offense in position to win the game and we did that.”

On how nice it is to have a couple of sacks stats:
“It's very nice. That's what us pass rushers want to do, we want to put pressure on the quarterback and hopefully sack the quarterback. It is gratifying to get to him, that's for sure. It was tough at times, I stayed positive throughout the first couple of weeks when it didn't seem to be going my way in terms of sacks. It's the game, you got to keep playing and keep working.”

On his chest injury and when he will return:
“I got a chest contusion last week against the Panthers and have gotten treatment on it all week. It was still a little bit of a pain coming into today and [Ezekiel] Elliott came and chipped [me] one time and got me right in the sweet spot of my chest and definitely brought back that pain. It's something I just got to get treated and work through. I don't think it will be anything too bad.”

On hearing the increased amount of noise from the fans while on the field:
“100 percent, that's Dallas week for you. Our fans hate Dallas. We definitely saw that tonight with how they showed out and with the noise they made. That last field goal was incredibly loud you couldn't hear anything. Shout out to our fans for being a difference maker today.”

On the snap infraction that gave a 5-yard penalty:
“I didn't see it. I definitely was sweating a little bit when I saw movement over there. It's kind of crazy the difference 5 yards can make in a football. The kick wasn't too far off, but lucky for us it was.”

REDSKINS DE JONATHAN ALLEN

On forcing Dallas' false start at the end of the game:
“Hey man, it's the ref's job to call the penalties and it's my job to keep rushing. I'm glad we got it and I'm just rushing and fighting and whatever happens, happens.”

On shutting down RB Ezekiel Elliott and what was the top priority:
“Dominating the line of scrimmage and I feel like we went out there and did that today.”

On how big this win is:
“It's huge. It takes us in the direction we want to go. We want to have success, it's about the building blocks of having a good season and we just want to jump start that.”

On being in first place:
“First place man. One game at a time, like I said, we're not worried about November, December, we are worried about October 22nd, I don't even know what day it is. We are worried about the next game on our schedule. We want to keep this going.”

REDSKINS LINEBACKER MASON FOSTER

On how good the win feels:
“It feels great. Any time you get a win against an opponent like them, in the division, at home, in front of packed house, man it feels great. You know, you've got to enjoy it, but there are still a lot of things we can correct and get better, but the effort was there, the physicality, the stuff that we work on all week, so it's a big win for us.”

On the importance of the fumble recovery for a touchdown:
“It's big man, those guys have been rushing, they may not get the sacks like we are all used to seeing, but they been wreaking havoc, creating mismatches, doing a bunch of stuff and helping everyone else get free. It was good that they finally got rewarded on a double team play like that to get the sack and the touchdown. It was big for our defense. We all just play as hard as we can, and it showed tonight.”

On what went through his mind on the missed field goal:
“Man, it was crazy, just hoping and praying man, for real. We had been working hard, everybody is living right, so something had to go our way and I'm just glad that it did happen like that. It was a great game, it was something great to be a part of, they played hard, we played hard, we knew it was going to come down to that and it did.”

On the opening statement by the defense, led by DB D.J. Swearinger Sr.:
“We knew it was going to be on us, we talked about it all week. We had to come out and win the game in the trenches, be physical. They've got a great running back and we did that. Those guys up front were hunting and we were going to play off them. It's big for us man, we want to get three a game, change the momentum, get the crowd into it and just play with energy for four quarters. There were mistakes and things that broke down, but you've just got to keep playing through the tough times and adversity and things will go your way.”

REDSKINS RUNNING BACK ADRIAN PETERSON

On how his body feels:
“It feels good. We just got a win so it makes everything feel better. I feel a lot better than I did last week though, I'll say that.”

On rushing just shy of 100 yards:
“Make some better reads on my end, and fall for positive yards. I'll just take the six yards away from the 120 I had, and I'll throw it on the 97 or 99 something like that, it'll average out.”

On pitching the ball back to Alex Smith on the one-yard line:
“Just trying to make a play. I had to apologize to him because he took some hits he didn't want, but I just wanted to give him a chance to create something. For me it was a perfect position, I was falling back, guys were below my waist, so I didn't really put us in an awkward situation of losing the ball. So, I made eye contact with him and pitched him the ball.”

On if he's surprised by his success:
“I think everyone else around is surprised; I'm not. I expect greatness from myself. That's why I put the work in. God has blessed me with a tremendous talent, a lot of people see it, and a lot of people don't. Just keeping confidence in myself when I'm presented with my opportunity I'm going to take advantage of it every Sunday, or whenever the game is.”

On playing well through injuries:
“I feel like I'm a very important part of this team. Just to show that leadership, that determination, it's a mindset of mind over matter. My desire to help this team be successful and knowing how critical this run is that we're on with two division games back to back, I can endure a little pain to help my team be successful. It's just a mindset that I've always approached this game with.”

On playing against Saquon Barkley next week:
“Well, it's not my first look. I've had the opportunity to sit back and watch him. He's nice, man. He's a heck of a football player. So, he's impressed me so far. But, it'll be good to watch some film. I'll be watching some film. Obviously, he's on the offensive side of the ball, I've seen some of his highlights. Our defense, they'll have a tough challenge and they will be equipped to stop him, they did a great job to stop them, Ezekiel [Elliott], great offense aligned, they did a great job controlling the front. They'll just have to do the same thing next week.”

On final winning kick:
“So, the penalty came from a false start. Obviously before it was like, miss it, miss it. Then you push it back 5 yards and it's like, he's going to miss it- I remember saying to a few guys, ‘He's about to miss this kick.' And, I'm thinking, my mind is already set just in case, but I really wasn't floating over time, to be honest with you. But had it went there, just get in that mindset and take care of business. But, just praying for a miss.”

On being a Texas native and playing against Cowboys:
“For me, it was like the game as usual. Obviously, you feel the energy as far as offensively, defensively, the guys are just playing really hard because of the rivalry and how much this game means. We know what it means to the ‘Washington Redskins Nation' fans and just for our organization. Most importantly, it being a division game, so we can with the mindset to get a W.”

REDSKINS SAFETY D.J. SWEARINGER SR.

On setting the tone early in the game:
“Oh yeah, it was definitely important to get out to a fast start. It's something coach [Jay Gruden] has been preaching, get out to a fast start. We had a fast start today and we finished man. That's something that Redskins football has got to continue to do and do on a consistent basis.”

On what he saw during the forced fumble:
“Yeah, it was just a quarterback sneak and I was seeing him and I'm like if he gets through that hole, it's mine, it's my ball. Had the ball in the right hand, I tried to at least punch the ball while hitting him or put my shoulder on the ball and it came out, so it was a good play, good play.”

On stopping RB Ezekiel Elliott:
“It's nothing different man, we just got the Alabama wall in that inside, we got Zach Brown, we got Mason Foster, we got Preston Smith man. We got 91 [Ryan Kerrigan] and you know who 91 is, I don't even got to say his name. Those guys up front man, they do their thing so hats off to them.”

On facing Giants RB Saquon Barkley next:
“That's the one we want. We want Saquon. He's been doing a lot of great stuff man, he's a generational player. Watching him, a lot of people can't tackle him on the first try so we need to be the defense to try and do that.”

On his reaction to the field goal attempt:
“Relief, because our defense laid an egg twice I feel like, it was relief. We've got to be better in two-minute situations. We should have had that game won, should have been 20-10, so we have a lot of correcting to do as a defense. We played good enough to win it, but we've got to be better in those crunch time situations.”

REDSKINS LB PRESTON SMITH

On his first career touchdown:
“It was great feeling to go out there and get that touchdown run after the sack fumble and I just scooped it for an easy score. I was already in the endzone, so I might as well take a step and get it, but it felt great to get my first career touchdown and a win against the Cowboys. We haven't won one in a couple years. It was a great team victory and I'm just happy I got a chance to get in the endzone for the first time after so many failed attempts.”

On what this victory means for the team going forward:
“We just got to in there and we got to keep working hard. We got to watch the film and be critical of ourselves and improve for the next time we play them. We got to improve and focus on the Giants upcoming.”

On his emotions watching the field goal:
“It was great. We knew we weren't going into overtime. We got the win. It was do or die and they missed it. We're here today with a win.”

REDSKINS CB JOSH NORMAN

On the defensive touchdown:
“That's what you need. We want that. We look for that and we know that. You look for it and it's almost like a given. We got to be relentless. We got to make a play and we got to score if need be and today we did that. We held back up there in the secondary and we got a sack, a strip, and a touchdown. That was biggest play of the game. There were a lot of plays that we had out there. We got three and outs and a turnover. From the front to the back, we all played a relentless game. If we can like that, we can keep this thing going and keep pushing forward.”

On stopping the run:
“It was key. They added another dimension. They thought they were going to come in here and run the ball down our throats. They were trying to move guys out of the way and they couldn't do anything about it. When you see that, you're like, ‘I'll sit back here and drink an iced tea.' These guys up here are going to play hard and it's a joy to see.”

On CB Greg Stroman's performance:
“He held up. He came out here and he was sticky. He was phenomenal. He did the things he needed to do. We're going to coach him up more. Going into this week, we're going to need him like all of the other guys we're going to need. It's that next man up mentality and we have to keep this thing going.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.