• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Rich Tandler passes away

Just 63. Damn.

Yeah, I was driving and listening to WTEM980 and heard Brian Mitchell talk about Rich.

At first I thought it was someone in the Redskins front office or training staff, etc.

It's a shock, he was very young.

What... ? I swear it feels like he was just on the radio and TV!

I'm sorry to hear this. That sucks.

Every once in awhile life reminds you that it is random, cruel, and impersonal.

In the early 2000's, when Gibbs had just come back, and some of us from Extremeskins were thrust into a fan coverage role at Redskins Park, Tandler was already a fixture. He and Keim were right there with the *serious* sports media coverage guys from the Post and other outlets, but they hadn't quite 'made it' yet. They were nice enough to try and be a little bit of a buffer between us and those professional sports reporters who truly resented us even being there.

Three things I'll always remember about Rich. First of all, there will never be another guy who worked as hard to earn his stripes and keep them as Rich Tandler. Guy was a tireless workhorse, a content producing machine, and he achieved the respect he earned through sheer hard work and perseverance. Secondly - he was arguably one of the most knowledgeable Redskins history guys ever. I still have several of his Skins history books and they are unequaled in their detail and breadth. As someone who's done a little bit of writing on Skins lore, I know how much work he put into capturing past glory and the heroes of Redskins past. Finally, Rich always told it like he saw it. He didn't particularly care if you, me, or any other fan agreed. He saw the truth and facts as he saw them - and that was that. I kind of admired that about him.

Here's to you Rich - wherever you are :cheers: And good thoughts to his family and all of his friends who undoubtedly loved the man.

A team spokesman says the Redskins will put a plaque at Tandler's regular seat in the press box at FedEx Field and keep it empty. There will be a moment of silence for Tandler before the Cowboys game.

Owner Dan Snyder says Tandler's “dedication to covering the Redskins over the past 14 years has made him an irreplaceable presence among our media corps, and he will be in our hearts.”

https://wtop.com/washington-redskin...to-honor-longtime-beat-reporter-rich-tandler/

This news sideswiped me yesterday.

The Redskins Talk Podcast has become almost a daily staple for me on my drive into work in the morning and I'd only just listened to him on the Panthers game review one when I got into the office and saw the news.

Shocked and deeply saddened.

As Boone mentioned, he was the straight shooter on the podcast, never overdid it on the wins or the losses, just stayed balanced and gave you the facts as he saw them and I read his content daily. I think of all the Skin's pundits over the years it's him and Keim I pay the most attention to and put the most worth in. Tandler seemed to hit that balance between being a true and genuine fan, and you could feel his love for the team, while also being a realist... something many fans simply can't be (me included!).

He'll be missed.

Go live life boys and girls. Truly, tomorrow is promised to no one.

This was sad news to hear. He came across as humble, genuine, good guy.

Every once in awhile life reminds you that it is random, cruel, and impersonal.

In the early 2000's, when Gibbs had just come back, and some of us from Extremeskins were thrust into a fan coverage role at Redskins Park, Tandler was already a fixture. He and Keim were right there with the *serious* sports media coverage guys from the Post and other outlets, but they hadn't quite 'made it' yet. They were nice enough to try and be a little bit of a buffer between us and those professional sports reporters who truly resented us even being there.

Three things I'll always remember about Rich. First of all, there will never be another guy who worked as hard to earn his stripes and keep them as Rich Tandler. Guy was a tireless workhorse, a content producing machine, and he achieved the respect he earned through sheer hard work and perseverance. Secondly - he was arguably one of the most knowledgeable Redskins history guys ever. I still have several of his Skins history books and they are unequaled in their detail and breadth. As someone who's done a little bit of writing on Skins lore, I know how much work he put into capturing past glory and the heroes of Redskins past. Finally, Rich always told it like he saw it. He didn't particularly care if you, me, or any other fan agreed. He saw the truth and facts as he saw them - and that was that. I kind of admired that about him.

Here's to you Rich - wherever you are :cheers: And good thoughts to his family and all of his friends who undoubtedly loved the man.

I know you guys introduced me to people on those rare occasions I got a seat in the box, but I don't know that I ever personally interacted with him. In any case, I always thought of Tandler (and Keim) as 'one of us' ... as someone I knew a little better than some talking head on the NFL network. A true fan/internet geek that broke through and made good, like we did but even cooler. :) I always listened a little closer when Tandler spoke, because I knew he had had his ear to the ground, and I knew he really knew what he was talking about.

Anyway, it does feel like we lost one of our own yesterday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.