• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Post-Game Skins Quotes 10/14/18: Redskins Players

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
skinsquotes.png

REDSKINS QB ALEX SMITH

On how the team responded to last week's loss throughout the week in practice and during the game:
“I think the toughest thing about it - you play this game long enough, it can be humbling - the margin of error is so small. Even that Monday night, I think with the travel coming home, we didn't get back until 4 or 5 a.m. Tuesday, short week, good football team coming in… physical football team, to use that as motivation, put it behind us, prepare, recover, all that stuff for this game, I thought the team did a heck of a job. Everybody included in that. Tall task. It was hard to move on from that. It lingered… it definitely lingered. But I do hope that the sense of urgency, the preparation that we had this week can kind of take it with us as we move forward.”

On if the “lingering” had a positive effect to keep everyone sharp:
“No, I think that you want to go to a game to prepare in the right way, I feel like we've done that every week. There's so many little things and variables that go into that. The games only mount and they only get bigger and bigger and this week's a great example of that. They just get bigger. The goal is that it's still so early in the season that you continue to move forward, you continue to improve from every game - good or bad, all the stuff in between. Hope that that was growth for us, this last week to go through that, and then we bounced back and got a win today.”

On if there's any feeling of knowing the offense will play well early in the game:
“No, I mean it's such a four-quarter thing. Yeah, you can get rolling and feel like you're on them, you come in at halftime and go back out and adjustments are made and it's kind of different. Margins are a little different, adjustments here or there. You never know. You never start out a game thinking you're rolling and like, ‘Oh boy, this is going to be a great day.' I think you just take it play-by-play, series-by-series.”

On if there's concern that the team can only execute when they're in the lead:
“I didn't know that was a thing. Every single week is a completely different challenge. We played a defense last week that was a completely different structure, on the road, different strengths and weaknesses, different matchups. This week is a completely different one. This is a completely different challenge. These guys have a totally different system, they have their own strengths, then injuries and all that stuff, who's up for a game, all that plays into it. And then, even within a game, like I said, first-half, second-half adjustments and all those things, winning, losing, situational football, all of that goes into… there's so many variables and that's what you practice for, that's what you prepare for. Next week is going to be a whole different matchup. We've got to find a way to win that challenge, to win that matchup. The challenge, the chess match, all the things that go into it, the execution on gameday. Every week I think is a different deal and you've got to treat it like that.”

On what offensive adjustments were made to account for playing RB Adrian Peterson limited by injury in addition to missing RB Chris Thompson and WR Jamison Crowder:
“I thought the coaches did a great job making the adjustments through the week with the game plan, being prepared for guys to be down today. Then I thought the guys did a heck of a job preparing and knowing. We ran a bunch of three tight end stuff out there today, thought those guys handled that great. Finding the matchup - I think that's kind of what we're talking about - finding the matchup week to week, finding what gives you the best chance.”

On all three phases of this team coming together:
“I think today was a great example of everybody kind of having a hand in it, which was nice coming off of last week…everybody having a big hand in this win. Special teams had some huge plays from the turnover to [Dustin Hopkins] hit a couple of big kicks for us… defense though I mean to buckle down there like with them driving and holding sealing the game off for us so yeah, I feel like great team win on a short week bouncing back.”

On his connection with Jordan Reed:
“Great, I feel like it's going great, same thing like every team they have a different way of trying to take him away and he's that kind of play maker, so every week it's something new, how are they going to take him away and so you kind of bank all of those things going on, I think all of us, and move forward, keep them in your back pocket all of those counter punches and adjustments that you have to make and certainly other people are involved in that because certainly he's going to get a bunch of attention, sometimes it's got to go elsewhere.”

On comfort level in the offense:
“I feel like we're very untapped offensively. A lot of potential. And I say untapped as we continue to find out who we are, our identity as an offense, but I think one of our strengths is that we got a lot of guys who can make adjustments. I thought this week was a great testament to that. Some guys down, some key plays for us down, but other guys stepped up and you have to be that kind of team. Good teams have that about them, that ability.”

On noticing a difference among the defensive backs:
“Yeah, it'd be hard for me to say about practice, I mean when I'm going I'm going against the scout team and when they're rolling I'm over on the side trying to get other stuff done so, I feel like those guys put in work every week, you know, our whole team does and I certainly don't think it's ever been an issue of lack of work or work ethic, but communication's a big deal and out on the football field it's loud especially at home this week and those guys got the crowd noise when their rolling and we've got a lot of non-verbal communication that has to take place on the fly so everybody's got to be locked in step. So, happy for them the way that they played especially making the play for their team to win the game.”

On what needs to be done for this upcoming week
“I think all of those things that you just talked about. We've got to have a great plan, get our mindset back, recover, have a great week of preparation with all the details all week with the greatest sense of urgency as we prepare then you have to go out there on gameday and execute, so there's a thousand things that have to get done and battle as you're trying to win, to help you get a W.”

On thoughts of Trent Williams as a running back:
“[Laughter] Last week what did he run like 19 mph? You know he's not the most athletic offensive lineman in the NFL but certainly he's up there but big play. Those things are you know…the ball fumbled and to have the awareness to scoop it up and get some yards… big play for us.”

REDSKINS CORNERBACK JOSH NORMAN

On the meeting he called on Tuesday and practice afterward:
“It was great – practice was awesome. I talked to my guys – my defensive guys, the secondary – and I wanted them to know that everything we do, we do it as a unit, as a group. Regardless of what the outside noise, outside of us, we got to come together. And we got to come together now. This is the time where men are made to be great. And we have the opportunity to be great because we have guys in that room that can do it, we showed it week in and week out. And now we got to man up and it starts with me. It starts with me and what we do and how we do it and how we lead those guys. They all buying in and I just want to see them succeed so bad now. And the things that we went through I can share with them and they can share with me. We can all communicate and be on the same level. And that's what we had conversations about – nothing more than that and nothing less. That was pretty much the point.”

On going against his former team:
“You know, during the whole week there was a lot of chatter. So it's like, gosh, this is coming down. But you know the thing is, God created us for times such as these – he really had – and we got to understand and know that. Before we went out on the field, it was a great Bible verse that was quoted when we all came up, it came from Joshua 1. I don't want to botch it so I'm going to read it, it was: ‘Have I not commanded you to be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid. Do not be discouraged for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.' And that struck a match in me to be like, ‘Okay we courageous, we strong wherever that may come up against us, we know we will be able to stand the test of time'. And we came out there as a unit, all guys on the field, all 11 guys – it wasn't one guy, it wasn't that, it wasn't this – it was all guys going out there and doing their job. And we did it to a phenomenal executional way. I just want to tip my hats off to those guys and really appreciate everything they've put into it this week.”

On two turnovers against his former team:
“Every time we play those guys, it's always satisfaction if I can do that. But all in all, those guys, they know how I feel about them. I know how they feel about me and that's the thing. It's just going out there and playing them. When you get in between those white lines all that goes out the door, it really does. I know what they bring, they know what I bring. And it was so fitting today that I was able to bring one to them. But at the same time, outside of the field, outside the white lines, they still my brothers of old and of new. They know that. I talked to them before the game. Even started on Friday when I was getting my workout in, Cam [Newton] and Luke [Kuechly], and we talked a little bit and told him, ‘I got something for you, in here at 3:15 lifting.' Back there lifting with the lifting coach and just getting ready for them. I really was, I was preparing myself for this one. I knew it was going to be a special weekend. It came out to be that and I was so grateful for it.”

On criticism throughout the week:
“This week was a little bit different, I'm not going to lie. People cam from everywhere, fan base, I was just like, ‘Gosh.' Checked my phone every time there was an alert or something, it was just the weirdest thing ever. And it's like I'm playing cornerback versus everybody. Not just the opposing team but the outside team and the noise of just everything. But when I went home, into my nice humble abode, La Grande Evasion I call it, everything shuts off, everything goes quiet. I'm at peace, I really am because I'm going to live my best life regardless of what these people say or what anybody else say. I'm going to do what we do best. My teammates know that. As long as they know we have their back and they have my back, I can stand the test of time. Regardless of what they say or what anyone else says, we going to do us. And we going to do us in a way in which we are going to come out and be better each and every time we step out on the football field. If they have my back and I got their back and they can trust in me and I can trust in them, then that's all that matters.”

On his interception:
“It's crazy. It's fitting that, you know, that we break that little streak against them, the team that I was with. I guess we've got a flare for dramatics somehow. It's so special to where, I saw the play, it hit me with a double move. Like I said, they know how I get down. They know those first routes I like to come up on them aggressive. I played with them as defense, I played with them myself. I let the game come to me and not to it. As soon as I saw it, I think someone got back their arm or something, I think the ball was up in the air- that's the only thing I saw. I think Montae [Nicholson], I think he came back on, dropped back in it, but I just saw the ball. And I wouldn't let God's angels lift me up and take it from me if they were out there. I just saw that one time and wanted to go in and get it and capture that moment. And once I did, the whole team came out and celebrated. That's what it's truly all about. It's not about one person and what they do it's about this unit and how far we can go as a group. We can carry each other. That's all that matters.”

On forced fumble:
“It's like an RPO. They love those combinations where they dive down to the running back and throw that quick slant with number 12 [DJ Moore]. I know Dunny [Quinton Dunbar] was on that side. But he kept running the ball, you know. I guess he was drinking off the Yak. So, I saw him and I came off and he never saw me. He never saw me. And that's the that plays I go back to and I want to make, I want to be a force on the running game regardless what happens. And I just saw it and I captured my moment. Ball came out, I tried to find it, one of the guys recovered, and that's just one of the plays that we got to have in order to have a good defense. And we did that, no matter who it was, was able to do that as a unit and that's special when you can get turn overs. I think we got 3 today so that was pretty solid.”

On Mondays disagreement with Coach Gruden:
“Well, everything was smoothed over after the fact anyway. That was something that happened on Monday and today is Sunday. And we already got better from that, everyone that was involved. There's nothing that I'd like to say further following up.”

On this win and team confidence:
“Well, it gives us confidence. It drives and exudes confidence in us to go forth. And go and create our own destiny. We have the drivers, were in the driver's wheel of the car, we really are, we're driving the car, we are it. We look at it and it's like we're in first place right now. So we have to continue to steer in the right direction. As long as we can do that and put on these consecutive games of where we don't fall one, and drop one, win one, drop one, win one, no, we got to keep this consistency path, we're in the driver's seat so we have to be able to maintain ourselves and maintain our confidence to go forth and keep that consistent streak. I don't think we've had one in a very long time so, we're looking forward to that, we're going to prepare this week and such. Then we'll see this Sunday.”

On the overall defensive play:
“It felt really good. The way we started the game, we finished the game. We started the game with defense on the field and we finished with the defense on the field, and that's what you want. To be able to come in here and hold these guys, a prolific offense, I think it's the number one rushing team to come in, and hold then 17 points, I mean gosh, you can't ask for something better from a defense standpoint. I'm so proud of those guys, each and every one of them. All 10 guys on the field and the guys that worked to get on the field and you know, it's something special that you can build from this and we are not done yet. We still have more to go, still have more to improve on, believe it or not. Everything is not peaches and cream, when we watch the film we're going to get coached up on a lot of the things that we missed. But the thing is, taking that coaching and understanding what we got to do to go forth, we'll be better from it and we'll understand that. We will be able to come out week in and week out and a performance of such, but it takes all of it. It takes everything, the unit of the defense and the offense. And special teams played big today, they played huge. I mean [Dustin] Hop[kins], oh my gosh, such a team player, of the week if you ask me. His big kicks allowed us to go out there and hold them down and we end up getting a big play too on that fumble. Going down on the field, guys are so excited to be on that, it's a nice feel that we have. Just got to keep that feeling going.”

REDSKINS WIDE RECEIVER PAUL RICHARDSON JR.

On if the team is on an upward trajectory:
“I wouldn't even say it's so much of an up and down nature, because we are only five, six weeks in, five games in. I just think we've been tested, and you have to respond. I think even in losing a game like we did last week, we were tested as men to bounce back, to lock in, to focus and make this game important, and we did that. I think as long as we stay focused and we keep having attention to detail like we did last week, like this week, I ain't run like how I wanted to run in the game and I got a lot that I can learn from, a lot that I can grow from, and as long as we keep doing that, we'll be alright.”

On starting fast:
“When teams are able to start fast, especially putting touchdowns up on the board, that's discouraging to the other team. They don't have a lot of momentum going from the defensive end and getting scored on, to going out there on offense and having to respond. I like that we were able to get up early, and we've been able to hold onto our leads so far this season, so we've got to maintain that.”

On how nervous he was at the end of the game:
“I'm already going bald so. [Laughter]”

On what he's learned from QB Alex Smith:
“Nonstop. Nonstop leader man. The game is over, and I'm over there cuddling Alex like, ‘Hey don't be mad at me,' for some of the stuff and he's like, ‘Oh, don't worry about it,' and he's over there talking about what he needs to do at practice this week. I think his maturity, his leadership, we needed that. I had a good leader before, but having him, I feel comfortable in this offense and I know the offense is comfortable following his lead, and it's carrying over to the whole team.”

REDSKINS K DUSTIN HOPKINS

On his career-long field goal and what it meant to him:
“Well first of all, I'm just glad Coach [Jay Gruden] sent me out. That shows confidence in me, and I'm glad to go out there for the team. But, I'm glad he showed the confidence in me. Then, I can be even more confident when I have Nick [Sundberg] snapping for me and Tress [Way] holding for me. I don't have to worry about anything else except the cues that make the kick successful typically. So, I'm not worried about the hold, or the snap or anything, so shout out to these guys, and the line blocking for me. I never worry about any of that stuff and it's a testament to those guys.”

On the continuity of the unit and what it's been like to grow with them:
“Personally, I've been on the short end of not coming up for these guys, whether that's if I kind of miss hit a ball, it comes up short, whatever it may be. I'm just glad I could hold up my end and make some kicks for these guys. Being with them for four years, it makes a huge difference, with being comfortable on the field, but just developing a rapport with them off the field and they are some of the best friends I have on the team.”

On what went through his mind on the 56-yard kick:
“I didn't want to try to over-kick it. I was just thinking a low back swing and contact just like any other kick. I said it before, but I toed it, so I was very fortunate that it carried. It was a great snap and a great hold and great blocking obviously.”

On Coach Jay Gruden joking about calling timeout:
“Really? Man, I just talked up the confidence he had in me, sending me out. [Laughter] Well, I guess I've got to take that back now. [Laughter] I've got to have a talk with him.”

On if he lobbied for the kick:
“Anytime, I'd say, it's 60 and in, I'm on the sideline ready, if they call my number. We didn't talk about it, I wasn't like, ‘Hey, send me out!' I was there ready if they called, and they did, so I just did what I could.”

REDSKINS RB ADRIAN PETERSON

On overcoming injuries:
“I prayed a lot and that helped me get through and help my team in a way. I'm just excited we got the W.”

On his mentality going into the game:
“It's definitely mind over matter, in a game when you usually have to bite down and put your best foot forward. That's what I did, I already had made up in my mind by Friday, ‘Hey I'm going to give it a go,' and I know its going to be painful but it's mind over matter and keep pressing. So that's what I ended up doing.”

On the running game:
“I feel like we became, we were able to be balanced. We were able to take advantage of this past game and were able to keep those guys on their heels and we got the running game going. The offensive lined stepped up and did a great job, we had some leakage from time to time but ultimately they played a heck of a game. The receivers stepped up and made some big plays when we needed them.”

On the win:
“Yeah, it was kind of nerve racking standing over there, but our defense played outstanding, they gave us three turnovers today. So I remember talking to the D and we wanted to see ourselves get to where we needed and our defense is coming out there getting stops in this type of situation, and they did it.”

On difference in running game:
“I feel like it always starts up front and the guys came out there with a chip on their shoulder and you could see that and you'll be able to see it when you watch this game back. The guys came back and established the front, frontline.”

On playing against the Panthers:
“I feel like any team you play and the talent we have offensively, defensively, and special teams. We can beat any team and it's all about going out there and playing four quarters and executing, protecting the ball and doing the little things. We did that today and that's the only thing. We have all the talent in the world to beat anyone.”

On the difference between the first and second half:
“I don't know, maybe the defensive scheme. I don't know, I don't have an answer to that. We do need to do better coming out in the second half and put points on the board.”

On preparing for the game:
“I said a lot of prayers and the mindset, mind over matter. Like I said, I prayed a lot. God gave me the strength and do all things and I kept saying that throughout the game as well. That obviously gave me the strength to push through.”

REDSKINS TE JORDAN REED

On his confidence in the team:
“I'm confident in the players we have on this team, the players, and the coaches and every week we are making strides. You know, we got to keep moving forward. I'm excited for the future of this offense.”

On starting fast:
“It's huge man. Any time you can jump up on a team 17-0 in the first half, that makes the game smooth for you and makes you more confident in the second half. It's definitely huge to start fast. We locked it down, we're doing it and today we started fast and ended strong, that's good.”

REDSKINS TIGHT END VERNON DAVIS

On getting into the end zone today:
“Oh it felt great to get in the end zone. It seems like it's been forever, but whatever I can do to help this team win, I am all about it.”

On the first touchdown connection with QB Alex Smith since 2012:
“Yeah, it's been quite some time now. We've been together, but it's great to have him at the end of my career, it's just great. It's all surreal to me. I remember when I first heard he was coming over and I was like, ‘Wow this is amazing, this is going to be great.'”

On the difference between his normal routes versus the soft crossing route he got today:
“Yeah, it is, it's actually one of my favorite routes. I used to run that a lot when I was in San Francisco with Alex [Smith], so to have him install that play and actually get an opportunity to run it, is pretty cool.”

On what the win means to the team:
“It means a lot, it means a lot to us, especially coming off a tough loss last week. We can take this momentum and roll it over to next week and that's what you want. When you have a lot of young guys on your team, you want to have that momentum, because they feed off of it. If we can go into next week very optimistic about what we want to achieve, we are able to reach our goals.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.