• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes Post-Game vs. Packers 2018: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
skinsquotes.png

REDSKINS HEAD COACH JAY GRUDEN

On injuries:
"The only injury of note is Morgan Moses, concussion. He got evaluated for a concussion [and] stayed out of the game."

On the running game this week vs. last week:
"We had a lot of opportunities to get it done, convert on some key third downs, Alex [Smith] with his legs, some other thirds downs. We were able to stay on track and hit some nice jumps. In the fourth quarter there when we needed it the most, Adrian [Peterson] was able to make a big impact.”

On DL Jonathan Allen:
"Yeah, Jonathan played good. You know, the whole defensive line, they continued to rush, continued to pressure Aaron [Rodgers] as best they could. They had some great rushes. They had some tough downs in there, but what I liked best about their game today was their nonstop effort. You know, it's not an easy task to chase that guy around the field all day. They did a great job. [They] gave up some hits in the running game, gave up a couple drives but that's going to happen when you're playing Aaron Rodgers. I'm happy most about the way they played and continued to play for four quarters."

On the passing game today:
"Yeah, it was good to get some guys involved there. Paul Richardson, got him a deep shot. We've been trying to get some of those going. Jamison [Crowder] had some big plays, Jordan [Reed] had a couple big plays, Vernon [Davis] had a big play and that's what we try to do. Distribute the ball to the open guy and Alex [Smith] did an excellent job. But you can't do that without time to get the ball out of your hands. For the most part, I was very impressed with our offensive line—the way they handled the running game and the pass protection with a few exceptions but very, very pleased with the way they played and Alex [Smith] and the rest of the gang."

On getting TE Jordan Reed involved:
“There's a concerted effort to get Jordan involved every week and really, he's a great player. We're trying to manage him early in the season, make sure he gets back to full strength. Whether he's there or not, you can ask him, but he's looking better and better each week at practice and helping at the games. It's good to get Vernon Davis some shot plays down the field. Chris Thompson didn't show up a lot there, they were doing a good job at covering Chris, but other guys were able to make some plays because of that.”

On defense in the third quarter:
“I was really pleased. You know, I knew Aaron Rodgers was going to make a run. I mean, he does it all the time. He's been playing for a long time and made many, many, many runs, so third quarter they got the ball to start the quarter and they held the ball for probably about eight minutes I think. And we came out and had a quick three-and-out, and our defense did a great job of holding them in some key situations and getting off the field and getting our offense a chance to make some plays there in the very end.”

On the team after the first three games:
“Yeah, we've kind of been a little up and down so to speak. I like the way we came out and I tell them today, you know, we play with that type of energy and that type of effort every week we're pretty dangerous. So the big thing is just to stay focused, stay humble and move forward. Handle the bye week like pros and come back ready to roll. Get ready for a tough New Orleans team on the road on Monday night.”

On LB Ryan Anderson goal line set:
“Yeah, that's our goal line set. We don't dress a fullback here so we taught Ryan Anderson four or five plays and he does a good job coming in there and handling that. I don't know if he knows where he's going, but he runs in there hard and closes his eyes. Adrian Peterson tells it best. Adrian is a great one-cut runner down hill. He makes those plays work and is a good package for us when we get down there.”

On what happened to RB Adrian Peterson and CB Josh Norman:
“Yeah, [Adrian Peterson] got kicked in the ankle and a little in pain there so we took him out. He'll be fine. [Josh Norman]'s got a little bit of a hamstring issue we're getting check out right now.”

On RB Adrian Peterson moving to seventh all-time in rushing touchdowns:
“I feel great, I don't care about his other touchdowns, I care about the three he had here. He's a great player he's a pro and we're happy to have him. He fell into our lap at a critical time, we needed a player, and he was there for us. He is everything as advertised.”

On Alex Smith extending drives:
“You can't put a price tag on it, it's critical. These third downs when they're playing two-man, they have everybody latched up and they leave a lane for the quarter back and he can run for those six or seven yards and keep the drive alive. I mean there's not a lot of plays that will get open on some of these coverages, some of the pass rushes with the stunts they open up some lanes and the quarterback has to utilize his legs from time to time to help the play caller out. He did huge two of those in the first half that kept the drive alive, so instead of three points on both those drives, we got seven and that's a big swing.”

On maintaining the energy from today's game:
“We have to maintain focus in our energy and stay positive and move on into the next week. The biggest thing about this league with these young players and some veteran players is how you handle adversity because adversity will strike; we're not going to win every game. Also, we're not going to win every quarter. We're going to turn the ball over, we're going to give up a touchdown. We have to handle it, buckle down and make some plays ourselves. I think that's what we did, that's what I am most proud of the football team for today, we handled a really tough loss last week, and coming back here and jumping out and playing as hard as they did today was impressive.”

On offense slowing down in the second half:
“I think the first drive we went three-and-out, another drive we blew a protection, we didn't get it up front, so we had to scramble and throw it away. Couple times they made some plays, you know Clay Matthews is a good player over there, they got some good players on that side of the football. They played some tight man-to-man that we weren't able to shake free in the pressure, got home on some third downs. It wasn't really ‘til six or seven minutes or so until we were able to hit some run and we got that long drive going which helped seal the deal. You know that's going to happen from time to time, you get a lead like that, they're going to play hard, we're going to have to try to do a better job on converting on some third down in those situations.”

On the defense's consistency and future improvements:
“I think we're going to get better, I feel like we got good players number one. You know Coach [Greg] Manusky and the defensive staff is doing a good job with these guys teaching them. Young secondary other than Josh [ Norman] and DJ [Swearinger Sr.] isn't really an old guy, think he is only 26 I believe it is. So, we have a pretty young secondary and Torrian Gray is doing a good job with those guys and then the young defensive linemen that played a lot of plays today. Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen played 90 percent of the snaps today, so we didn't take them out today and they played well. We got a chance to be pretty good. We got to continue to work and study our play book and adjust to the new team we have on our schedule and next week will be totally different with obviously Drew Brees than it was this week with Aaron [Rodgers].”

On OLB Clay Matthews' penalty:
“Well, I think we've watched as many videos as we can, but every week there seems to be another one that's a little bit questionable. That's not going to change, I don't think. We just have to continue to coach our guys and try to do the best we can to sweep the leg and make sure we don't put our bodyweight on the quarterback and don't lead with our head. That's the one thing we are trying to do. You know, it's exciting for those guys when they get back there and are able to hit the quarterback man. Going full speed, it's hard for them to adjust their bodies – these big guys, fast guys in a split second, but we are trying to do the best we can. Unfortunately, it's a critical penalty in some of these games that can hurt you.”

On WR Josh Doctson:
“I think it's big. I think he had a couple big holding calls on him and that's going to happen. He gets in possession and they either hold him or the other guy's going to jump over your head. So, they chose the holding route and made some big conversions for us. He'll get some more opportunities. Second half we didn't get as many passes thrown, I think we probably only called four or five passes in the second half, but I think Josh will continue to progress and get better and better.”

On the fumble challenge:
“Yes, James Rowe our assistant defensive back coach called that out for us and I was a little nervous when I first saw it. I kinda yelled a few words at him, but then it worked and I said great job James. Great job James.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.