• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

Gruden says we're bringing back Marshall.
Strange. We're not going to keep 3 guys on the active 53, that are primarily 3rd down backs, are we ?
Does Bibbs go back to PS ? I don't like to repeat the old phrase, but I think it's true here - he won't last long on PS.
Without Bibbs, we likely would have lost to Dallas.

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

Gruden says we're bringing back Marshall.

Not this week we aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this move.

Byron Marshall is a two-way threat, he can catch the ball out of the backfield but also has the ability to carry from scrimmage between the tackles.

He also has a bit more size than Bibbs and Thompson.

I really thought over the summer and preseason that Marshall was starting to separate himself from Perine, Bibbs, and Kelley to be the #2 running back and the #3 overall back behind Guice (then Peterson) and Thompson.

We need help on the offensive side of the ball. Thompson is great, but he can't stay on the field for more than 1-2 games at a time.

What we need is a guy like James White or Dion Lewis that Tom Brady used for those outlet throws over the past couple of years.

Marshall could I think assume that kind of role.

Line him up in the backfield, line him up wide or in the slot, he has good hands.

I also favor bringing back Trey Quinn as the second IR candidate.

Since we didn't make a deal for a veteran at the deadline, we are still in dire need of a steady pair of hands that can help move the chains.

Quinn may not be 6'3 or be a 4.3 burner, but he can make plays in the middle of the field, an area we seem to have surrendered to defenses in recent games.

Marshall could I think assume that kind of role.

Line him up in the backfield, line him up wide or in the slot, he has good hands.

I was just going to suggest this about lining him wide or in the slot.
First, because he originally was a WR in college.
And we're also pretty desperate for production at the WR position.
And I think we did that with CT on a few plays, so why not Marshall ?
And if he takes up a roster spot that would have been used for a WR, that allows more room at RB to keep Bibbs on the roster.

In all of this I think the main 'get' in regards to the running backs is that Samaje Perine is on the team strictly because he was a draft pick. I don't see him making an impact on this club or in the NFL.

If Jon Gruden and the Raiders release Bruce Irvin, 29, the Redskins should look into adding him for the balance of 2018.

Last edited:

From what I have learned, Irvin's success was dependent on the presence of Mack in Oakland, so without Mack, he doesn't sound like a true impact player. Also hear from multiple sources, he was the first to quit on the team.
So is he an upgrade from Gallette ?
He's gotta clear waivers first, anyway.

Last edited:

Gallette is never coming back. He burned his bridges with the team, something even he recognizes. Beyond that - what did he do here to warrant another opportunity? Whether or not he is even physically able to play at this point is a serious question.

I have mixed feelings on Irvin, but his stats were about the same his first 4 seasons with Seattle (before Mack joined him on the Raiders) including 22 sacks and 50 QB hits during that stretch. Whoever is claiming he's a product of Mack just doesn't know what they are talking about. He was a 1st round draft choice (15th overall by the Eagles who when traded him to the Seahawks for Fletcher Cox and a pick). Only questions are, at 31, how much does he have left in the tank, and what is his mentality/attitude? There's a lot going on with the Raiders... no idea what went on there, but not unique for veteran players to move or get moved on when a strong-willed coach like Jon Gruden come in. You can be sure that Jay and Jon have had conversations as to whether or not he's a problem child.

Last edited:

Yea I wasn't at all suggesting he would or should.
But I was comparing Irvin to the Gallette of 2017, and questioning whether Irvin would even be better that that, for us.

Here are their career stats:

Irvin: 40 career sacks, 187 solo tackles, 15 forced fumbles, 90 QB hits (over 6.5 seasons)
Galette: 34.5 career sacks, 102 solo tackles, 6 forced fumbles, 77 QB hits (over 6 seasons)

Irvin has had a better career. Whether or not he is a guy we should bring in, not sure. My questions, who are we letting go if we do bring him in, and what would be the cost? I'm on record as not being a huge fan of bringing in older vets on the downside of their career, but in this case, it wouldn't require a trade which makes a huge difference.

Here are their career stats:

Irvin: 40 career sacks, 187 solo tackles, 15 forced fumbles, 90 QB hits (over 6.5 seasons)
Galette: 34.5 career sacks, 102 solo tackles, 6 forced fumbles, 77 QB hits (over 6 seasons)

Irvin has had a better career.

But like I was saying, it's arguable that Irvin was the beneficiary of a huge boost from Mack.

His stats looked pretty damn good during the 4 years preceding being paired with Mack - like I said :) And if that's the argument, his stats might benefit from the guys we already have on our roster too - no?

Well, I am confident in this case that we do the right thing.
Because we have the luxury of Jay calling up Jon, and getting more inside info on Irvin, than if it was another team/coach/gm.

I worry about messing with chemistry too much too. This would be the 2nd major defensive addition. I know the argument is that it just puts us over the top, but sometimes chemistry is just as big as raw talent. To some extent, I think ‘why mess with a good thing?' Is a relevant question ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is that Irvin is on his way to New England. It's what they do.

The second mock draft of the season will be posted tomorrow. There won't be another mock until after the season is over.

Let's say the Redskins have a bunch of injuries to the edge players (in no way do I want this to happen). They will need to make some phone calls.

One of those calls will not be to Junior Galette. He has been on a tirade and pity party in recent days again. Some of it was directed at the Skins subliminally in his latest tweets. Not only are those bridges burned, they are now erased from memory by the Redskins brass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.