• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

The QB class for this year is weak, but there are two candidates who have the most potential - Drew Lock of Missouri and Brett Rypien of Boise St.

We shouldn't reach for Lock, but if he does fall to us in the first round, you make the pick.

I'd be ok with reaching a bit for Rypien in the third round (we have two picks in the third, so that would be a good move). He is a fourth round talent and would need a year to learn the offense and the NFL. His potential is unlimited.

A better solution would be to trade away our first this spring for a 2020 first and gain a second round pick in the 2019 draft. We would have two first round picks in 2020 and the ammo to target a QB in what is looking like a much better class.

That's the conventional wisdom. But we all know the conventional wisdom is almost always wrong :). There will be 2 QBs in this class that are NFL starters. Problem is - even if true, the odds that the Redskins can ID one of them and draft him are beyond slim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

I don't know how many games you've seen, but the QB class this year is really weak.

In 2011, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, and Christian Ponder were selected in the top twelve. Cam Newton went first overall. Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick in the second. In the third round, Ryan Mallet. Fifth round, Ricky Stanzi, TJ Yates, Nathan Enderle (who?). Sixth round, Tyrod Taylor. Seventh round, Greg McElroy. Third Round (Supplemental draft), Terrelle Pryor.

The 2018-19 draft class reminds me of the 2011 group. History could repeat itself in this draft. So yeah, Lock and Rypien are the two who intrigued me. I will look at a lot more vids in the coming months, but doubt I'll change my mind.

Very timely tweet from a few minutes ago at the time of this post:

I don't know how many games you've seen, but the QB class this year is really weak.

In 2011, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, and Christian Ponder were selected in the top twelve. Cam Newton went first overall. Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick in the second. In the third round, Ryan Mallet. Fifth round, Ricky Stanzi, TJ Yates, Nathan Enderle (who?). Sixth round, Tyrod Taylor. Seventh round, Greg McElroy. Third Round (Supplemental draft), Terrelle Pryor.

The 2018-19 draft class reminds me of the 2011 group. History could repeat itself in this draft. So yeah, Lock and Rypien are the two who intrigued me. I will look at a lot more vids in the coming months, but doubt I'll change my mind.

I hear you BB. My point is, that's 'the conventional wisdom' - which is usually wrong at least for some players at the QB position. It's not a 'total crapshoot' as we sometimes want to say. But it's close to a total crapshoot :) There will be some QBs in this draft class who excell, and they may not be the ones being currently touted.

I think the reason Skins fans feel doomed is that we have no history of being able to find a super-talented QB in the draft. NONE. We thought we'd done it with Griffin, but even that was just a mirage. A high pick in round 1 would be helpful though when/if we do go back to the well (since it's even harder to find a great QB in later rounds), but we aren't going to be that 2-3 win team that gets us to one of those picks, not unless we absolutely implode and blow it all up. That might mean a terrible 2019 season.

The QB class for this year is weak, but there are two candidates who have the most potential - Drew Lock of Missouri and Brett Rypien of Boise St.

We shouldn't reach for Lock, but if he does fall to us in the first round, you make the pick.

I'd be ok with reaching a bit for Rypien in the third round (we have two picks in the third, so that would be a good move). He is a fourth round talent and would need a year to learn the offense and the NFL. His potential is unlimited.

A better solution would be to trade away our first this spring for a 2020 first and gain a second round pick in the 2019 draft. We would have two first round picks in 2020 and the ammo to target a QB in what is looking like a much better class.

I like the idea of having a Rypien as our qb. I mean Angela is my first choice, but this kid ain't too shabby for the #2 roll.

Burner's Burning Questions: Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

Week Twelve

Greetings to everyone here in BGO land and greetings to all of our friends on social media. We hope you become a member of the family here.

Best wishes to everyone during this holiday season. We hope world leaders work toward peace and prosperity. We hope for a better tomorrow and may the joys of this holiday season be the best ever for each of us.

The Redskins fell far short of their Thanksgiving Day game expectations against the Cowboys. Players are pointing fingers at one another and reports suggest Jay Gruden and Bruce Allen are on the hot seat. However, the team is tied for first place in the NFC East and the season is far from over.

Week twelve is in the books and now we take a look at how the entire team fared against the Dallas Cowboys on Thursday. Are you expecting good or bad grades this week? We will try to make some sense of it all as BBQ hands out grades, evaluations and questions. Feel free to offer your own grades, evaluations, questions, and opinions.

Upcoming Dates:
- Days until the Eagles game: 5
- Days until the Giants game: 11
- Days until NFL free agency: 105
- Days until NFL draft: 148

Let's take a look at week eleven.

Quarterbacks:
Question: How did Colt McCoy fare?
Answer: Colt had a decent day, but he also had three critical interceptions. If that can be corrected, the team could close the season a bit stronger than some may think.
Grade: D

Running Backs:
Question: Do you have a grade for them?
Answer: It was not a good effort at all. Kapri Bibbs did have a one yard touchdown run, but the play of this group was forgettable.
Grade: D-

Wide Receivers:
Question: Well, how about the receivers?
Answer: The receivers did a respectable job, but more production is needed from Maurice Harris. Trey Quinn was able to score his first NFL touchdown.
Grade: C

Tight Ends:
Question: What grade do give them?
Answer: Another good day from Jordan Reed with timely catches on key plays. Vernon Davis dropped a wide open pass, but redeemed himself for a long touchdown.
Grade: B

Offensive Line:
Question: How would you rate them?
Answer: This group struggled in the running game, but had a decent day in pass protection. Jonathan Cooper continues to improve and is showing that the gamble on him was worth it.
Grade: C-

Defensive Line:
Question: What grade would you give their effort against the Cowboys?
Answer: “Needs Improvement” would be a nice way to say it once again. The line looked as if they were playing with shoes made of hardened cement. The efforts seemed lackluster, but two sacks improve their grade just a bit.
Grade: D+

Linebackers:
Question: How did this group fare against the Cowboys?
Answer: It was “A Tale of Two Cities”. Ok, maybe it is not the same as London and Paris, but the difference between inside and outside linebackers last Thursday was evident. The OLBs had a good game and the ILBs had a game to forget.
Grade: C

Cornerbacks:
Question: How about the corners?
Answer: How about, “NO”!!!
Grade: F

Safeties:
Question: Is new safety Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix Starting to fit into his role?
Answer: Clinton-Dix probably needs another two games before he is fully comfortable in this defense. The safeties had no glaring mistakes on Thursday, but they had no impact either.

Special Teams:
Question: How about this unit?
Answer: It was a mixed bag – a missed field goal attempt, but a critical one was successful late in the game. Punting was solid, but one poor punt gave the opposition very good field position.
Grade: C+

Coaching:
Question: What can we say about the coaches for this game?
Answer:
Offense. Poor rushing offense. Poor clock management. Turnovers. General lack of preparation. There were some good moments, but they were overshadowed by the negatives.

Defense. This unit looked tired, complacent, and uninterested at times – the summer doldrums in late fall. The inside linebackers looked lost and Quinton Dunbar should've been on the inactive list.

Special teams. Nothing negative to report, but nothing that stands out as well.
Grade: D-

The Redskins are tied for the NFC East lead and do not hold the tiebreaker. The next division game is this coming Monday night. What do you think of the Reuben Foster waiver claim? What do you think of the rumors that Jay Gruden could be on the hot seat? Is Maurice Harris no more than a two week sensation? Is there a chance the Redskins have found the left guard of the future in Jonathan Cooper? Can the Redskins retain their hold on first place in the NFC East? How would you rate the game against the Cowboys?

We'll see you again next week. On to week thirteen and the Eagles game.

Hail To The Redskins!

Until Josh Norman is slotted to cover the opposition's top receiver across the field, especially with rookies in Stroman and Johnson getting reps, the Redskins are going to suffer through games like the one against Dallas.

The Eagles have more receiving threats than Dallas. Jeffery and Ertz are usually bad matchups for Washington.

But they are going to be even worse if Manusky puts Stroman and Johnson on Jeffery and allows him to eat them up down the field.

Against Zach Ertz is where a player like Clinton Dix should start to show his value or this trade can be considered an F.

I'm not sure what to write this week. Not sure I want to. Eh, look for it on Thursday. I guess.

It's like drummers in Spinal Tap. I have a feeling Sanchez will just spontaneously combust out on the field next week.

I'm not sure what to write this week. Not sure I want to. Eh, look for it on Thursday. I guess.

If you're taking requests, I'm curious how 2019 looks, as far as adding a QB or 2.
In the draft, by Round #, and by name.
And in FA, by name.
It's supposed to be a weak draft for QB's, right ? So that part is a huge challenge.
Thanks.

Josh Johnson hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL since 2011. Sanchez is Sanchez.

How about Jay Cutler?

How about somebody who has actually played since Obama's second term.

Burner's Burning Questions: Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

Week Thirteen

Greetings to everyone here in BGO land and greetings to all of our friends on social media. We hope you become a member of the family here.

Best wishes to everyone during this holiday season. We hope world leaders work toward peace and prosperity. We hope for a better tomorrow and may the joys of this holiday season be the best ever for each of us.

The Redskins are in a tailspin and the news continues to get worse. Media and fans believe the players have given up on the season and while that seems to be true, the team is still in playoff contention. However, no one believes a postseason berth is realistic.

Week thirteen is in the books and now we take a look at how the entire team fared against the Philadelphia Eagles on Monday night. Are you expecting bad grades this week? We will try to make some sense of it all as BBQ hands out grades, evaluations, and questions. Feel free to offer your own grades, evaluations, questions, and opinions.

Upcoming Dates:
- Days until the Giants game: 4
- Days until the final game of 2018: 25
- Days until NFL free agency: 98
- Days until NFL draft: 141

Let's take a look at week thirteen.

Quarterbacks:
Question: How did Colt McCoy and Mark Sanchez fare?
Answer: Colt had a poor start and Sanchez looked exactly like a player who was in the system for less than two weeks.

Running Backs:
Question: Do you have a grade for them?
Answer: Adrian Peterson had the longest touchdown run of his career and it was also the longest ever for the Redskins. Other than that one rush, the rest of it was forgettable. Chris Thompson looked lost.
Grade: C+

Wide Receivers:
Question: Well, how about the receivers?
Answer: The receivers didn't have too many opportunities due to poor quarterback play.
Grade: Incomplete

Tight Ends:
Question: What grade do give them?
Answer: Jordan Reed was the go to player for Mark Sanchez. Unfortunately, none of the plays were impactful and produced little yardage.

Offensive Line:
Question: How would you rate them?
Answer: They struggled, but put forth a determined effort under difficult circumstances.

Defensive Line:
Question: What grade would you give their effort against the Eagles?
Answer: Missed assignments, missed gaps, missed stunts. They also missed Matt Ioannidis.

Linebackers:
Question: How did this group fare against the Eagles?
Answer: It was not good. Zach Brown did have a great stop near the goal line on a fourth down play. The others looked lost, especially Mason Foster. Foster looked like a fifty year old man out there.

Cornerbacks:
Question: How about the corners?
Answer: Other than a key interception in the red zone by Josh Norman, this unit had a game to forget.

Safeties:
Question: How should we grade their efforts in this game?
Answer: Not so good. Sure, the line and linebackers did them no favors, but D.J. Swearinger and Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix looked out of place and flat-footed way too many times.

Special Teams:
Question: How about this unit?
Answer: Tress Way was solid. Dustin Hopkins had a good game. The return units made no mistakes.
Grade: B

Coaching:
Question: What can we say about the coaches for this game?
Answer:
Offense. The offense struggled mightily throughout the game. One ninety yard rush helped and a solid drive to end the first half provided a field goal. Not much else to report that was positive.

Defense. Something is not right with the defense. They look lost, confused, and unorganized.

Special teams. A good game and the lone bright spot for the coaching staff.

The Redskins season is suddenly spiraling out of control and the team is likely to lose most or all of the remaining games. The next division game is this Sunday. Is Jay Gruden on the hot seat? How about Bruce Allen? Should the Redskins select a quarterback in the first or second round of the 2019 draft? Have the players quit on their coaches? Is the writer of this blog ready for the season to be over? What are you getting/giving for Christmas? How would you rate the game against the Eagles?

We'll see you again next week. On to week fourteen and the Giants game.

Hail To The Redskins! I think. Or something.

Clinton Dix has been a nightmare in coverage and in making tackles.

Zach Ertz ate him and the linebackers alive on Monday night.

This trade was a total ZERO. It produced no positive results for the team.

You can argue with how much Dallas gave up for Cooper but he has proven to be a valuable piece to their offense and the trade is most likely going to vault Dallas to the NFC East title this season.

Cooper is 26 and just entering his prime so if they can get the numbers right on a second contract with him then it will in retrospect be an inspired move for an organization that like Washington was going along with wide receivers of dubious pedigree before the trade.

If you're taking requests, I'm curious how 2019 looks, as far as adding a QB or 2.
In the draft, by Round #, and by name.
And in FA, by name.
It's supposed to be a weak draft for QB's, right ? So that part is a huge challenge.
Thanks.

It's way too early to speculate about a QB in the draft. We know that Colt McCoy will still be under contract in 2019 - unless the team moves on from him.

Alex Smith could make a full recovery. Medical technology is better than what it was thirty-three years ago when Joe Theismann had the same injury. Perhaps we will know much more by early spring.

While I do have a current database of draft eligible QBs, there is no way to know what could happen. In fact, what if we get a new coach? That could change everything. Maybe it won't.

No, I will not do the extensive research on QBs at this time. It would be pointless to do so with all of the uncertainties at this juncture.

I don't like Sally Jenkins. Most of her editorials are far too triumphal as if she has some special knowledge or wisdom everyone else is lacking in taking down the target of her criticism.

But in today's article she was correct in citing studies that point to some of the traits of poorly performing organizations.

Perhaps first among them is the impulsiveness and impatience to think that high-risk gambles will shorten the process and allow the organization to get a leg up on their competitors and attain success.

This is how the Redskins have done business under Snyder from Day 1. At first Snyder was making these moves by himself with squash partner Vinny Cerrato.

But that strain of impulsiveness has continued to course through the Redskins even after he brought in Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan and the organization was supposedly going to build the 'right' way and restore respectability.

The Donovan McNabb trade. The trade of a generation of high draft picks for RG III (lost picks we are still feeling the pain from being without). The impatience in coming to an agreement with Kirk Cousins on an intermediate range contract after the 2015 season when he wasn't willing to accept a sweetheart deal that gave him less money than a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick was set to earn.

In all these moves, the Redskins were convinced they knew better. They knew better than Andy Reid on McNabb's viability at age 34. They knew better than anyone else in giving up a basket full of draft picks for a player in Griffin that had played in a spread offense in college that had 8-10 basic plays.

They knew better than the market in undervaluing a quarterback that was in the top 15 in the NFL but not in the top 5.

The Redskins could have won more games in 2016 and 2017 if they had been able to properly anticipate the rising salaries of passers across the league and signed Cousins to a 3-4 year deal that would have cost per year a lot less than the $19M and $23M franchise tags were going to cost. That extra money could have netted 2-3 impact players in free agency or via trade.

The Redskins could also have recouped some of the picks they gave up for Griffin and moved forward with a youth movement IF they had taken advantage of the market to trade Cousins before or during the 2016 draft if signing him was not looking like a realistic option.

Instead the team ended up without the high picks AND without Cousins.

Yes, we get a compensatory #3 pick and Hoorah! for that. But that doesn't go nearly as far in most cases in helping to rebuild a team as a #1 draft choice would have back in 2016.

We need to start over here in Washington. But it has to be part of a new mindset.

One that respects opponents and potential trade partners and doesn't automatically assume we are going to take someone else's shirt in a trade. There are some excellent General Managers out there. Guys like Belichick and Reid have made a career out of suckering other teams out of draft picks for aging stars to relieve their respective salary caps for other moves they need to make.

One also that fosters a bit of humility through the organization.

This team has become a team of front runners. We win 3 or 4 games and we get DJ Swearinger on social media saying he is the best safety in the NFL. Last year we had the offensive linemen running around calling themselves Hogs 2.0 before we won anything. Heck the running game was actually quite poor both in 2017 and 2018.

How about we act as if we have been there before :encouragement:

It's amazing to me that Sean McVay could go to LA and turn a team that had been a habitual loser under Jeff Fisher around to go 10-6 and now 11-1 while revitalizing the career of Jared Goff and doing an excellent job in the draft and free agency to upgrade talent.

McVay and the front office in LA did more in the past TWELVE MONTHS than anyone has done here in Washington in TWELVE YEARS.

We better move on from Bruce Allen and Co. and elevate Kyle Smith before he gets an offer to get out of town and move to a team with real prospects.

Knowing our luck it will be the Giants.

A new mindset - yes. New coaches are certainly needed. Bruce Allen needs the boot.

About Kirk. You see the results in Minnesota. Nothing has changed with him. He is a headache for the Vikings now and that is a good thing.

I don't have all the answers. Very few in fact. I'm drained. I'm just void of emotions. We can talk until we are all blue in the face, but it won't change a thing.

But have at it. The next four games will be a blur for me. I'm looking forward to turning sixty in a matter of days and spending the time with family. The holiday should be nice. Ditto for the New Year.

Then it will be time for the off-season blog. I'm not sure how that will go, but it will be here before you know it.

Don't you wish we had a head coach with this kind of insight and intelligence? Yeah, two years ago he was our OC. We have a HC who cracks one liners and reads the injury list.

Looks like Josh Johnson is the next man to back up the next broken leg.

Should have seen what the Johnson with the first name of "Brad" is up to these days

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.