• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

I am as demoralized as anyone else. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm usually the most optimistic and hopeful fan in the room. This year, I just can't muster it. So please don't take my post as some sort of battle cry or prediction our Redskins will rise up to win big this season. It's not.

But I do think it's important to recognize that we haven't played any worse than the other NFC East teams to date - and in fact have the opportunity to seize some control of the division with a win at home today.

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

if we were even half decent, we would be running away with this division. the Eagles are solid but the giants are terrible, the cowpies are overrated, and so are we. Gruden is not very good, i think he is the problem, but so is our organisation. at some point we need to make something happen or we will be just good enough to have shittty draft picks and be stuck in mediocrity

I am as demoralized as anyone else. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm usually the most optimistic and hopeful fan in the room. This year, I just can't muster it. So please don't take my post as some sort of battle cry or prediction our Redskins will rise up to win big this season. It's not.

But I do think it's important to recognize that we haven't played any worse than the other NFC East teams to date - and in fact have the opportunity to seize some control of the division with a win at home today.

You heard it here first! Boone predicts Redskins Superbowl appearance!!!

:p

Seriously though... I'm actually pretty upbeat this year (what's new!), but have my eye on next year. With Guice back, our already impressive D-Line having a year under their belts and hopefully a draft and off season where we can attack the remaining weak-spots (WR mostly), I am hoping for good things. Worm has gotta turn some time right?

Weirdly I think our biggest issue this year consistency wise has been our O-line, which is supposed to be a strength. It really hasn't looked it at all.

I'm on the fence with Gruden. He's not the best coach, he almost lost that game for us last night. If he'd have just taken those two FG's when we had the position to do it we'd have been a whole lot more comfortable at the end with a 2 score lead. On the flip side who out there is available and any better?

While I wish we'd kept McVay and promoted him into the spot, who's to say he'd have had the season he's having now with the Rams with us? How much of this is coaching and how much is organisation dysfunction?
Also we tend to look at Gru with a critical eye, but I'd wager almost every team in the league looks at their HC and cries foul too. Wifey reports that the GB crowd are all up on McCarthy at the moment, and my brother who's a Buccs fan reports similar sentiment. I think it's par the course for NFL Team fans to think their HC is awful. I think it's the nature of the role, every little mistake or misjudgement is going to be highlighted when so many people are watching, but honestly I'd say 3/4's of the leagues fans are in the same boat.

if we were even half decent, we would be running away with this division. the Eagles are solid but the giants are terrible, the cowpies are overrated, and so are we. Gruden is not very good, i think he is the problem, but so is our organisation. at some point we need to make something happen or we will be just good enough to have shittty draft picks and be stuck in mediocrity

Don't know how anyone paying attention can label the Redskins as overrated. The only folks who overrate this club is it's fanbase.

To the national sports media, we are a clear afterthought. Hell, even on NFL Radio, a whole week can go by without any mention of this team when they talk about contending teams....and rightfully so.

Don't know how anyone paying attention can label the Redskins as overrated. The only folks who overrate this club is it's fanbase.

To the national sports media, we are a clear afterthought. Hell, even on NFL Radio, a whole week can go by without any mention of this team when they talk about contending teams....and rightfully so.

True,

None of the sports podcasts I listen to give any real consideration to the Skins other than a passing mention. Usually the talk around them is more to do with our opponents than anything the Skins did. After the Packers game it was all about what was wrong with the Packers and after last week it was how great Bree's was.

In Power Rankings we are consistently ranked in the 15 to 20 range, which is probably about right. We're an inconsistent team at best, capable of great things and atrocious things. When we start winning with consistency then people will notice.

I think we're an average/good ball club at the moment, which to be honest is a good step forwards from where we've been lately. I'm not expecting a Superbowl this year, but if we could get to 9 or 10 wins I'd be happy.

I am amused by these NFL mouthpieces that keep pointing to Peterson's age to dismiss him and what he is doing at 33.

John Riggins ran for 1,347 yards in 1983 when he was 33 years old.

Franco Harris ran for over 1,000 yards at 31.

Marcus Allen was a 850 yard rusher and had 70 catches at age 32 in Kansas City playing with Joe Montana.

The point is the timeline for Hall of Famers is often outside the norm for the position.

Just like what Brady is doing at 42 is outside the norm.

I am amused by these NFL mouthpieces that keep pointing to Peterson's age to dismiss him and what he is doing at 33.

You keep pointing to Peterson and the wonder of picking him up. However, there was a better option who was available during the off-season who has much more upside at this point in his career, Carlos Hyde.

He is bigger, faster, has great vision, and at this point in their careers, much more durable. We should never have gone into this season without a viable RB outside of Guice...and that is what is most frustrating about this FO. Bruce is the exact opposite of Vinny, unwilling to splash, like we're shell shocked and not willing to take risks after Haynesworthless.

I argue with you a lot, Ryman. Hell, sometimes it's just fun. :)

But I gotta say, I agree with every word of this post.

You keep pointing to Peterson and the wonder of picking him up. However, there was a better option who was available during the off-season who has much more upside at this point in his career, Carlos Hyde.

He is bigger, faster, has great vision, and at this point in their careers, much more durable. We should never have gone into this season without a viable RB outside of Guice...and that is what is most frustrating about this FO. Bruce is the exact opposite of Vinny, unwilling to splash, like we're shell shocked and not willing to take risks after Haynesworthless.

Maybe we did go after Hyde and the cost was just too much - or he flatly refused to come here. That's my only beef with this kind of criticism - we just don't know what went down and what didn't...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dallas has been every bit as erratic as the Redskins to date, with wins only over the Lions and Giants - but they absolutely dismantled a pretty good Jags team yesterday. The Cowboys go as Dak Prescott goes - and lately that's been a good thing for them.

I hope the Redskins come into next Sunday's game with a little more respect and fear than you all have. If not, we may well get out asses handed to us.

Maybe we did go after Hyde and the cost was just too much - or he flatly refused to come here. That's my only beef with this kind of criticism - we just don't know what went down and what didn't...

I can only judge my assertion on the facts I have. I know what Cleveland paid him, just like I know what Chicago paid Allen Robinson, I know he never visited Redskins' Park like Allen Robinson never did, so I can assert with confidence we could have and should have signed them both if we'd showed interest. The fact neither visited anmd ended up signing with the teams they did, says enough. We don't need much more info than that to make such an assertion, given the way this team has acquired players at both of those positions in the past.

Of course, had Guice then NOT have been injured, leading the league in rushing, and Richardson & Doctson came out of the gates smoking, you'd be bitching how we picked up guys we didn't need, taking money away from other areas.

You seem to be firmly in the "Never Happy" camp. Unless the team makes every move that you suggest, you're not happy.
And no, you're not the only one.
You loveable bastage!

Your assertion = my assumption :)

WR and RB weren't the only holes we had. You don't know if those players were willing to sign a deal with the Redskins - at any salary. They may have spouses or girlfriends who had strong preferences as to relocation.

Bottom line - you don't know. I'm fine with criticizing the team/front office for failure to fill critical needs adequately. But when it comes to individual players, it's not Madden or FF - you don't just get to say 'I'm getting him' and it's an automatic done deal.

And while Ax is overstating it - it's hard to criticize the team for absolutely stealing Guice (and making the kind of investment on RB early they did) and then not addressing RB. They DID address RB - we just have incredibly bad luck. There's also this thing called the 'salary cap' that they have to work within.

Of course, had Guice then NOT have been injured, leading the league in rushing, and Richardson & Doctson came out of the gates smoking, you'd be bitching how we picked up guys we didn't need, taking money away from other areas.

You seem to be firmly in the "Never Happy" camp. Unless the team makes every move that you suggest, you're not happy.
And no, you're not the only one.
You loveable bastage!

Not every move I want, just the obvious ones that a fan can see, but the FO ignores? I was not a fan of seeing Cousins turn into what it did when we could have signed him to a 5 or 6 year deal at less than 20 million a year, and never looked back. Kirk Cousins/Alex Smith are a push, but we're paying the older QB more than we'd be paying Cousins, and only have him for 3 years of which he'll likely only play 2.

But Bruce was too smart for that. OK, I will take Alex Smith, but you have to see his success was contingent on the quality of his weapons, and we did little to address his need for weapons, relying too much on the lack of talent we have, and the draft. Sorry, but the 2nd and 3rd tier FA revolving door we've been on for most of the past 10 years isn't working. We lack talent at positions of absolute need...WR and RB. We could have signed 2 good ones at reasonable contracts which Cleveland and Chicago did. We signed Paul Richardson and were lucky enough to acquire Peterson. Not exactly the way we should be bringing in a winning combiunation. Proactive is much better than reactive.

And Boone, I would wager the house we never considered either player. If they turned us down, we'd have heard about it. The FO did not adequately address the RB position or they'd have done what the friggin Browns did, sign Hyde and draft a damn good RB as well. That is how you address a position of need in the skills positions.

Last edited:

So hey, don't know if anyone has mentioned this but let's give a game ball to Dustin Hopkins this week. Three for three on FGs, and without that 56 yarder the Panthers don't have to go for a TD at the end. That's a hell of a game.

I read somewhere that the Dallas defensive staff has the blueprint for shutting down a Jay Gruden offense, and it is the same reason that Indy was so successful at doing it - because Indy's DC came from Dallas as a defensive assistant. The defensive scheme had something to do with a variation of play cover 2, rush just 4, but stunt like crazy.
Don't know how true it is, but it's certainly believable, considering Dallas consistently beats Jay, and Indy somewhat unexpectedly and uncharacteristically shut down his offense as well.

Last edited:

I just looked up Hyde's stats.

He and Peterson have the same yardage but Peterson is averaging 4.4 yards per carry while Hyde is averaging 3.4.

Hyde's longest run is 22 yards from scrimmage while Peterson has a long of 41.

Peterson also has a 65 yard pass reception.

Hyde to me looks like nothing special. He's a guy supposedly in his prime at 27/28 who produces below average or replacement level stats.

Peterson is a Hall of Famer and at 33 is still outproducing guys like Hyde.

Since the team invested a #2 pick in a back in Guice that has clear upside and future in the NFL there was no reason to give a guy like Hyde a multi-year deal to be a starter which is what he was looking for.

I agree the Redskins were guilty of rosey thinking in believing Kelley and Perine were going to be capable rushers if Guice went down.

But if the team had signed Peterson in July and cut Kelley what's the real difference in how it turned out?

Peterson was the starter in Week 1 and ran for 96 yards.

If you look around the league I don't think you would find many backup or replacement players that have been this productive.

I've counted 3 different Bulldogs runnin around here. Is there more ? Those puppies really multiply :)

I'm wondering if the Skins had a desire to cut Hood at the end of preaseason, but wanted to wait and see how their youngsters panned out first, both performance and health-wise.
Speaking of which, has Settle played much ? And how has he looked. Havn't noticed his presence or his name called.

I bet Hood ends up in New England or Kansas City.

Burner's Burning Questions: Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

Week Six

Greetings to everyone here in BGO land and greetings to all of our friends on social media. We hope you become a member of the family here.

Redskins football and Rich Tandler fit together like a glove. Many of us started our day reading his latest update and news about the Skins. He was our go to source for all things Washington Redskins. We will miss him. Today's look at the Panthers game will include a bit of Rich's style and format as a tribute.

Our thoughts continue to be focused on those who were in the paths of Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Michael. We hope areas affected can get the help and support that is needed, but understand it will take time.

Week six is in the books and now we take a look at how the entire team fared against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday. The questions and answers will be quick and simple once again as we pay tribute to Rich. We will try to make some sense of it all as BBQ hands out grades, evaluations, and questions. Feel free to offer your own grades, evaluations, questions, and opinions.

Upcoming Dates:
- Days until the Cowboys game: 3
- Days until the Giants game: 10
- Days until the Eagles game: 46
- Days until NFL free agency: 146
- Days until NFL draft: 189

Let's take a look at week six.

Quarterbacks:
Question: How did Alex Smith fare?
Answer: Not bad. He managed the game and helped the team score a key victory.
Grade: C+

Running Backs:
Question: Do you have a grade for them?
Answer: Sure, and it is good.
Grade: B

Wide Receivers:
Question: Well, how about the receivers?
Answer: Better than last week.
Grade: B-

Tight Ends:
Question: What grade do they receive (get it???)?
Answer: You're funny.
Grade: B

Offensive Line:
Question: How about this group of big uglies?
Answer: Certainly better than last week.

Defensive Line:
Question: What grade would you give their effort against the Panthers?
Answer: Containing Cam Newton and company earns a good mark.
Grade: B+

Linebackers:
Question: How did this group fare against the Panthers?
Answer: It wasn't perfect, just what was needed.

Cornerbacks:
Question: How about that Josh Norman interception?
Answer: It was nice to see and he had a big assist from the defensive line?
Grade: C+

Safeties:
Question: Did they improve over the previous week?
Answer: Yes. DJ Swearinger was intense.

Special Teams:
Question: How about this unit?
Answer: Kudos all around. Downing punts inside the five yard line. A clutch 56 yard field goal. Yeah, this was good.
Grade: A+

Coaching:
Question: What can we say about the coaches for this game?
Answer:
Offense. Better than the week prior, but in-game adjustments are still needed.

Defense. Better. Bend, but don't break.

Special teams. Excellent.

I think Chicago is the best group of all time, but the Beatles are the best of all time for this week. Our pets are family. I prefer cats, but you can't beat the love and loyalty of a good dog. For this week, dogs rule. On to game six. We'll see you next week with grades, evaluations, and questions.

Think I will take a thirty minute nap this afternoon, but it is not a nap. Just a brief period of rest.

For Rich – Beat Dallas! We'll miss you. RIP.

Hail To The Redskins!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.