• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

One on One, Ionnaidis vs Elliott.
I love this matchup.
Do you ?

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

@Burgundy Burner
We HAVE to make a trade in-season for a legit wideout.
It could easily be the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs.
Or the difference between going deep in the playoffs, and getting knocked out in the first round.

@Burgundy Burner
We HAVE to make a trade in-season for a legit wideout.
It could easily be the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs.
Or the difference between going deep in the playoffs, and getting knocked out in the first round.

Need a legit WR to go deep, got it.

Article today on Broncos looking to trade Demaryius Thomas before the deadline.

I think it would be fool's gold to think we have enough with Crowder and Richardson back in the next couple of weeks that is going to be enough.

Need a legit WR to go deep, got it.

Not sure I follow what you're saying.
"Got it", as in he's already on our roster ?
Or "got it", as in you have submitted the order ?

And by the way, I'm not so much talking about a deep receiver.
But more of a Garcon-type guy - some highly dependable and consistent at being able to move the chains.

We're 4-2.

Be patient, my sons.

All is fine.

Not sure I follow what you're saying.
"Got it", as in he's already on our roster ?
Or "got it", as in you have submitted the order ?

And by the way, I'm not so much talking about a deep receiver.
But more of a Garcon-type guy - some highly dependable and consistent at being able to move the chains.

Just being a smart alec with the play on words. I only did it because it was you :p

Too expensive.

To be fair, Jay Gruden was talking up Robert Kelley and Ryan Grant over the past 3-4 years and neither player has ascended to being a recognizable starter in this league.

In fact both have been more productive than Doctson.

The only thing that keeps Doctson in the 'game' so to speak in terms of being trotted out there as a starter is his draft position.

I am thrilled we have found a WR that is willing to lay some blocks in the run game. Truly, other than Pierre Garcon we have gotten ZERO out of the wideouts in terms of blocking the past few years.

However, if Maurice Harris was a #2 pick and Doctson was say a #4 pick, Harris would be out there and Doctson, showing what he has so far, would be a backup or even inactive on certain Sundays.

As Doc Walker loves to say, the NFL is a results oriented business.

The best coaches and GMs act this way with the talent on hand.

Tavon Austin was the #7 pick in the draft but was undersized and showed average hands in LA, so Sean McVay when he came in and evaluated Austin in 2017 decided to trade him to Dallas.

Belichick also jettisons picks when they fail to live up to expectations after a reasonable time.

I don't have a problem with giving Doctson the rest of 2018 to show us something, I just wouldn't BET ON IT by not making a move now for a veteran WR.

Let Doctson prove he belongs out there through COMPETITION.

You can't make the club from the tub :yes:

Last edited:

To be fair, Jay Gruden was talking up Robert Kelley and Ryan Grant over the past 3-4 years and neither player has ascended to being a recognizable starter in this league.

In fact both have been more productive than Doctson.

Ryan Grant is on pace for over 70 receptions this year.

Yep, in this pass happy league average receivers can catch 60-70 balls. Crowder has and I don't see anyone touting him as our #1 going forward.

I think this reinforces my point that Doctson has SO underwhelmed to this point that there are guys out there with 50% of the athletic talent of Josh who have passed him by to become productive players, not necessarily stars, but productive B level guys in the NFL.

One on One, Ionnaidis vs Elliott.
I love this matchup.
Do you ?

Am I theh only one that watched this about 10 times in a row...like 4 times now?

Every time I see that I have this image of some annoying bug, like a tick, attaching to some kid's chest, and then without even looking at it he immediately swats or flings it off.

Last edited:

Burner's Burning Questions: Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

Week Seven

Greetings to everyone here in BGO land and greetings to all of our friends on social media. We hope you become a member of the family here.

Redskins football and Rich Tandler fit together like a glove. Many of us started our day reading his latest update and news about the Skins. He was our go to source for all things Washington Redskins. We will miss him. We continue our tribute to him and today's look at the Cowboys game will include a bit of Rich's style and format.

Our thoughts continue to be focused on those who were in the paths of Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Michael. We hope areas affected can get the help and support that is needed, but understand it will take time.

Week seven is in the books and now we take a look at how the entire team fared against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday. The questions and answers will be quick and simple once again as we pay tribute to Rich. We will try to make some sense of it all as BBQ hands out grades, evaluations and questions. Feel free to offer your own grades, evaluations, questions, and opinions.

Upcoming Dates:
- Days until the Giants game: 3
- Days until the Eagles game: 39
- Days until NFL free agency: 139
- Days until NFL draft: 182

Let's take a look at week seven.

Quarterbacks:
Question: How did Alex Smith fare?
Answer: We need to consider that he was without the services of Paul Richardson, Jamison Crowder, and Chris Thompson.
Grade: B-

Running Backs:
Question: Do you have a grade for them?
Answer: Adrian Peterson is incredible. Kapri Bibbs did a fine job.
Grade: A

Wide Receivers:
Question: Well, how about the receivers?
Answer: Josh Doctson could've found his niche in the offense. Quick inside slants and quick hook routes.

Tight Ends:
Question: What grade do give them?
Answer: They were certainly not utilized effectively, but were open for at least one touchdown and potentially significant gains.
Grade: B

Offensive Line:
Question: How would you rate them?
Answer: Phenomenal. Solid game. Truly a work of art.

Defensive Line:
Question: What grade would you give their effort against the Cowboys?
Answer: Equally as good as the offensive line. Contained Ezekiel Elliott. Scored a near safety, but turned it into a touchdown.

Linebackers:
Question: How did this group fare against the Panthers?
Answer: They lived in the offensive backfield most of the day and had good pass coverage.
Grade: B+

Cornerbacks:
Question: Greg Stroman has a lot to learn, doesn't he?
Answer: Yes, but he had a solid day aside from the one glaring mistake

Safeties:
Question: Will DJ Sweringer slow down this season?
Answer: His intensity continues to be at a high level.

Special Teams:
Question: How about this unit?
Answer: Kudos all around once again. Tress Way continually pinned the Cowboys deep in their own territory. Dustin Hopkins had a solid day.

Coaching:
Question: What can we say about the coaches for this game?
Answer:
Offense. Game management by the offense was adequate.

Defense. They deserved a ride back to Redskins Park in limos.

Special teams. Excellent.

We continue to mourn the loss of Rich Tandler. His website was more than just a hobby and the transition to being a member of the Redskins media was seamless. Rich was one of us – a fan. He was a fan who gave it to you straight and without bias. Rich will certainly be missed and BBQ will honor him from this day forward with a daily countdown tracker in the off-season and in-season blogs.

Next week we will resume our weekly questions in this section. On to week eight and the Giants game.

Hail To The Redskins!

Regardless of the injuries, Alex Smith left 14 points on the field against the Cowboys with two passes to Sprinkle and Harris that should have been touchdowns.

As Brian Mitchell said this morning, in his reviews of the game, Jordan Reed and even favorite whipping boy Josh Doctson have been open on a number of plays where Alex Smith simply didn't stay with the progressions and panicked in the pocket to complete a dink and dunk.

Media and fans have criticized Smith for losing some arm strength or foot speed at 34 but perhaps what it is more than anything else is a reluctance to stand in there and take the big hit to get the completion.

What's frustrating to me is that while the Redskins line this year is run blocking more effectively than they are pass blocking, Smith is still getting better protection overall than he enjoyed in Kansas City.

Andy Reid was patching the Chiefs line last year with guys like Jeremy Zuttah, Josh LeRibeus and moving failed #1 overall pick LT Eric Fisher to RT and then to guard.

You can't tell me the Redskins OL isn't an upgrade on that.

When you bring in a new QB there's always a learning curve. Doesn't matter how good the protection is or how good the WRs are (although ours are fairly terrible.)

That's generally why, if you find a decent QB who's played with you for a few seasons, you should probably just keep him. And also probably why, if you bring in a new guy who has to learn the offense all over again, it would be better if he weren't 34.

But it is what it is. Smith is most likely being very cautious until he gets more comfortable with the scheme and his teammates. In the meantime, he's not turning the ball over ... like ever, which is not insignificant considering that we won the past two games because the other team turned the ball over and we didn't.

If that's how we have to win right now, so be it. A win is a win.

Regardless of the injuries, Alex Smith left 14 points on the field against the Cowboys with two passes to Sprinkle and Harris that should have been touchdowns.

Thought I remember also 2 passes to Doctson alone, that were overthrown, that could have been touchdowns.

@Burgundy Burner , I don't want to get too far ahead too quickly, or step on your toes, but I put together my own mock draft for 2019.
I think we're really delving into some good programs with these players.

1 - John Jennings DB Virginia Tech
2 - Vinny Mihota DL Virginia Tech
3 - Isaiah Buggs DL Alabama
4 - Johnny Dwight DL Alabama
5 - Jamey Mosley LB Alabama

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.