• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

I thought about a higher grade for the coaching staff, but the team needed to keep the pedal to the floor in the second half instead of coasting to the win. Can't let any team an opportunity to mount a comeback. Special teams takes it down a slight notch as well. Ineffective game plan for the receivers takes it down a slight notch as well.

Perhaps it is picking nits again, but this is a pivotal season for Jay and the staff. No more grading on the curve.

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

FYI - Be sure to look on the previous page for the first update in the regular season. We handed out some grades and evals. We also posted some questions.

Another FYI...

Cam Sims and Trey Quinn were sent to IR yesterday, but both are designated to return in eight weeks and will likely do so.

Hmmmmm, Love the article as usual, the only ones I'd change:

Offensive Line
A+ I think is too high. They almost gave up a safety but for the quick work of Smith. I can't remember who the Cardinal was, and I don't know who fluffed the block, but they came at Alex totally unblocked.
It might be a nit pick, but it's enough for me to drop them from an A+ to simply an A. (Not much of a downgrade I know, but that play stood out to me).

Coaching
Yeah, like most peeps I'd upgrade the score. I thought they coached a great game. Listening to interview after they were concentrating defensively on taking Johnson out of the game. On the Redskins Talk podcast I was listening to this morning they said that they were determined NOT to let him run rampant over them like he did previously. Mission accomplished.
Gru stuck with the run on Offense and it paid handsomely, controlling the clock and keeping our defense fresh.
Maybe we could have asked for more points in the second half, but it's hard to see where we could have done any better.

Gotta chip in with a comment or two or three or four:

1. I still have uncertainties about LB play...particularly in PassPro. We're getting good push from the d-line. LB play looked good making decisions and moving to the hole fast - but not with regularity. LB remains a watch item for me.

2. Don't think we're getting full return from Coach M's aggressive strategy. I'd like to see some front seven player become an outstanding pass rush threat OCs have to account for on every play.

3. Same comment about the wideouts. We kinda all knew this was gonna come along more slowly - the new QB and starters didn't play much, if at all, as a unit during preseason. It'll take time. The announcers did comment, more than once, about various Skins receivers not establishing separation with precise route running. Something I am going to continue watching.

4. Closing out a game when the opportunity is there. Already covered by others. That's a coaching thing in my book.

5. Protect the QB. I'd prefer not to see Alex touched at all the entire game!!!

btw...I liked, cuz I wasn't aware, the persistent announcer comment vis Roullier getting to the second level on running plays being the exception rather than the rule for NFL centers. Don't forget Riggo's preseason comment about Roullier being one of the better run-blockers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loving the grades and evals that several of you have posted and I agree so much with what you are saying. Keep it coming!

The bye week comes very early and I will have a mock as promised, but I typically don't start the process of studying prospects until mid or late October each year.

With that in mind, what psoitions would you like to see as a focus in the mock? Any specific player(s) you prefer?

Loving the grades and evals that several of you have posted and I agree so much with what you are saying. Keep it coming!

The bye week comes very early and I will have a mock as promised, but I typically don't start the process of studying prospects until mid or late October each year.

With that in mind, what psoitions would you like to see as a focus in the mock? Any specific player(s) you prefer?

1. A Garaffalo like QB to groom for a couple years

2. A road grader LG

3. A game changing LB

4. TE who can catch and block

5. WR if Doctson doesn't break out

6. Always more depth & speed

More/less as season progresses

i think smith will be far better than cousins for us and with way weaker receivers, he doesnt have a garcon or jackson but he also wont throw so many bad passes and poor decisions. cousins is solid but hes not special, smith is very solid but not special, the difference is that smith knows his limitations and plays within himself. if we can find a great LG this Oline could be great, and our dline is really shaping up to be special. its almost like when I said for the past 10 years that we needed to build front to back not back to front, that I was right lol.

its almost like when I said for the past 10 years that we needed to build front to back not back to front, that I was right lol.

You wanted RG3! Then you jumped on my coat tails about building a team through the trenches.

I did come around a bit when rg3 played so well as a rookie but I have always advocated building the D by building the Dline, and building the O by building the Oline.

are you high? lol I was the most vocal member here against that trade

No you weren't. You may have been against it, but definitely not the most vocal. That was Elephant by far.

I'm pretty sure remember Ryman being pretty strongly against the trade. I remember something about not drafting black QBs or redheads. :)

I also remember him advocating, VERY strongly, building from the lines out, and getting QB only when those lines were set.

I don't know that I agree with that thinking, even now, but that's what he said.

are you high? lol I was the most vocal member here against that trade

Umm...you are crazy! Ask EVERYONE who was the most vocal!

Gents, points have been made and now I respectfully ask that each of you take it to PM.

Any reason why it seems like the team can't make in game adjustments?

I can't believe Gruden made it this far without being able to adjust his game plan during a game. Seems like that would be an early career killer.

Thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.