• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

Don't think for a second that the FO isn't already working up a retirement deal.

Then hopefully they're next.

This is exactly what they are doing (my best guess). I would imagine something like $5M in 2019 and $5M in 2020. Very low impact on the salary cap.

Pretty sure Alex would go for it. He is a standup guy and it is possible that Alex could have some sort of role in the front office as well. Pretty sure Kirk would not go for such a deal in a similar situation - that's who he is and it is all about Kirk.

Hoping the best for Alex.

The hard swallow for all of us is knowing this team continually shows its thin skin and overall cowardice at the top when the chips are down.

Allen can't make a statement about Foster and lets Doug Williams and Jay Gruden take the bullet for him in front of the media. Gruden is an offensive coach and I doubt that Reuben Foster one way or another was any priority for him given the situation he is facing on the OL and at QB.

Snyder was no doubt consulted on this and he could have said 'no' to the waiver claim. He also could have chosen to come out and make a statement himself. After all, it is HIS team.

The issue of cowardice is a difficult one in pro sports because players, coaches and even fans are supposed to be tough, enduring and low on excuses and rationalizations.

So, when you see an organization that can't seem to get out of its own way and lets people lower down take all the heat while the executives are hiding behind their mahogany doors it is very distasteful to see.

At least with the Cowboys, Jerry Jones does go in front of the media and answers questions that surround decisions he has endorsed or made personally.

Now he is formally the Team President as well as the owner so he wears both hats.

But Bruce Allen is the Team President and again we don't see him out there front and center.

In fact, Allen seems to have reached his tipping point a year or so ago when that reporter Jerry Brewer asked him at that press conference whether it would be best for the Redskins if he stepped down.

Since then he has been on camera only on select occasions and then the questions he answers are very limited, if he answers any at all. He usually defers to the others on the stage or at the draft that are with him.

See, if we had another owner, someone with the guts to step up and be counted we would not see this behavior from Allen, at least not for long :)

But given that Snyder knows he is as unpopular with the fans and media as Allen is, he just stays away entirely now.

But it doesn't hurt quite enough for him to revamp the structure and start to do things the way the successful organizations do.

His ego still won't let him do that.

Do we have an up and coming personnel man that can take the reigns when Bruce leaves? I would like to see a GM hired internally if possible.

Kyle Smith is a good candidate to take over the GM duties. A VERY good candidate.

Werd, fingers crossed this is already settled and we get to say "dammit Kyle" again.

Hindsight armchair GMing doesn't take much courage, or effort either.

I have no idea how to grade or evaluate this game.

One of the "Hog Farmers" on twitter (Mr. Redskins) left at the beginning of the fourth quarter and said he had nothing on a video as he was driving down the road. The "Farmers" are the most positive group out there. I can't disagree with him.

I'm waiting for the announcement...............................

Hindsight armchair GMing doesn't take much courage, or effort either.

Some people are better at it than others! :laugh:

And we win 3 straight to stay in the playoff hunt!

JOSH JOHNSON!!!!

I'm waiting for the announcement...............................

As Rooster Cogburn would say: Get on with the rat killin' !

Sorry Ax, I don't have to be Ron Wolf or Bobby Beathard to have the eyes to see what this regime has tried to do has failed to produce anything close to excellence.

True a fan or media critic can take any team down for a given decision because everyone makes mistakes at times, but as Bill Parcells said in the end result 'you are your record'.

The Redskins are 6-7 and careening towards a 6-10 finish, which in fact may be the best outcome for this team. A draft pick in the top 10 is desperately needed on a team where draft picks often disappoint or perform at less than expected levels.

Josh Doctson, Su'a Cravens, Preston Smith, Ryan Anderson, the now departed Trent Murphy, Matt Jones, Samaje Perine, etc.

The Redskins have had some severe injury problems the past couple of years but part of that at least early on in the season could be attributable by an appalling lack of depth on the roster.

Jamison Crowder's injury would have been easier to overcome if Josh Doctson had been playing at anything close to the level of a top fight wideout.

Chris Thompson's injuries didn't necessarily have to help derail our offense on the ground if draft picks like Jones or Perine had turned out to be of any real value on an NFL roster.

We run a 3-4 defense and have invested a fortune in outside linebackers: Ryan Kerrigan (#1), Preston Smith (#2), Trent Murphy (#2), Ryan Anderson (#2) and yet we have not been able to find a single edge rusher that can impact a football game the way a 32 year old Michael Bennett can, let alone younger top level performers like Von Miller or Khalil Mack.

In the secondary, we are paying a zone corner Josh Norman $18M for 2018. Think that is money well spent?

The team never thought to replace Orlando Scandrick with another veteran to help provide depth at CB in case Quinton Dunbar or one of the other corners went down during the season.

And what really annoys me is that we paid Scandrick $1M which he collected and then was able to get on the field for the Chiefs for 16 games.

Scandrick may be on the decline, but when Dunbar went down with his heel injury it would have been nice to have a veteran to put out there rather than trying to get Danny Johnson and Greg Stroman acclimated to the NFL trying to cover Amari Cooper or Alshon Jeffery.

Sorry Ax, I don't have to be Ron Wolf or Bobby Beathard to have the eyes to see what this regime has tried to do has failed to produce anything close to excellence.

True a fan or media critic can take any team down for a given decision because everyone makes mistakes at times, but as Bill Parcells said in the end result 'you are your record'.

The Redskins are 6-7 and careening towards a 6-10 finish, which in fact may be the best outcome for this team. A draft pick in the top 10 is desperately needed on a team where draft picks often disappoint or perform at less than expected levels.

Josh Doctson, Su'a Cravens, Preston Smith, Ryan Anderson, the now departed Trent Murphy, Matt Jones, Samaje Perine, etc.

The Redskins have had some severe injury problems the past couple of years but part of that at least early on in the season could be attributable by an appalling lack of depth on the roster.

Jamison Crowder's injury would have been easier to overcome if Josh Doctson had been playing at anything close to the level of a top fight wideout.

Chris Thompson's injuries didn't necessarily have to help derail our offense on the ground if draft picks like Jones or Perine had turned out to be of any real value on an NFL roster.

We run a 3-4 defense and have invested a fortune in outside linebackers: Ryan Kerrigan (#1), Preston Smith (#2), Trent Murphy (#2), Ryan Anderson (#2) and yet we have not been able to find a single edge rusher that can impact a football game the way a 32 year old Michael Bennett can, let alone younger top level performers like Von Miller or Khalil Mack.

In the secondary, we are paying a zone corner Josh Norman $18M for 2018. Think that is money well spent?

The team never thought to replace Orlando Scandrick with another veteran to help provide depth at CB in case Quinton Dunbar or one of the other corners went down during the season.

And what really annoys me is that we paid Scandrick $1M which he collected and then was able to get on the field for the Chiefs for 16 games.

Scandrick may be on the decline, but when Dunbar went down with his heel injury it would have been nice to have a veteran to put out there rather than trying to get Danny Johnson and Greg Stroman acclimated to the NFL trying to cover Amari Cooper or Alshon Jeffery.

This is a really smart post. The ridiculous volume of injuries isn't the fault of our trainers and conditioning staff, but you're exactly right that our backups are either subpar or they are incredibly poorly coached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but, but, but - I thought the refs were against us! Skins are near the top of the league for false starts and holding penalties. Perhaps the players just aren't all that bright?

Well, I think on the OL you are seeing the effects of newer players coming in and working with different quarterbacks whose cadences are different, etc.

Morgan Moses should probably not be on the field playing right now. But he is toughing it out.

The other factor in the holding calls is as we pull guys off the street their capability level obviously is not that strong and they simply can't go 40-50 snaps against an NFL starting DL without being flagged.

I remember Doc Walker saying years ago that many people think a team that gets flagged a lot is just undisciplined while the fact may be that they are simply under-talented and not able to hold up without taking penalties after getting beaten by better athletes and football players.

False starts are the product of a lack of focus in my book. I'll bite somewhat on the talent deficit for holdng calls - although Portis was making fun of one holding call today (a quick pass play that executes within 2 seconds). How, Portis asked, can a player even have time to hold in 2 seconds?! Aside from the obvious that it isn't needed.

Well, I defer to Portis. He was always the smartest player on the field :hail:

Well, I defer to Portis. He was always the smartest player on the field :hail:

Well...the interesting thing is that Portis is obviously beholden to the Skins for his employment (following his financial problems). Yet, he criticized the team (even if with a velvet glove). Excessive penalties have been a Skins problem for years. It seemed to improve last year - but has worsened this year.

Portis, Cooley, Walker...all have referred to penalty issues all season long. Appeal to authority? Yup. But it does seem the Skins have had a penchant for years for turning third and short into third and longer through the yellow flag. Weren't the Skins penalized today for too many players on the field? Dumb stuff like that - reflects disorganization on the sideline.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.