• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

To be interpreted as, don't overthink this. At least that is what I am thinking. :rotflmao:

I know you've been thinking a lot lately, and trying to avoid too much of that. But if you could lend one more thought, is there any new information as to whether McCoy is more likely to be ready for the last game ?

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: News, Grades, Evals, Questions, Regular Season, 2018

I know you've been thinking a lot lately, and trying to avoid too much of that. But if you could lend one more thought, is there any new information as to whether McCoy is more likely to be ready for the last game ?

The question raised by your question is, should we even hope for that?

I think our chances are better with Johnson under center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea. We'll see what happens.

The one asset the Eagles' defense has at this point is it's defensive front and ability to rush the passer.

With McCoy coming off a broken leg, my guess would be that Josh Johnson's mobility and general health would make him a better candidate.

Haven't been keeping up with the weekly grades the last two games - the holidays intervened and then a nasty cold descended upon me.

Overall grade for the Jags game would be a C+. Good effort and decent coaching.

Overall grade for the Titans game would be a C. Very good effort - minus the fourth quarter, decent coaching - minus the fourth quarter.

I'm going to introduce a new feature shortly that will be used in the in-season and the off-season blog.

Speaking of the off-season blog, I will try to have it up and going by Monday afternoon. We will have free agency updates as needed and dual mock drafts (a mock with Alex Smith ready to go when the regular season begins and another mock that deals with an injured Alex Smith missing 2019 - or much of it).

In other words, it will be a very intense and highly detailed off-season once again.

Today, Christmas Day, BBQ introduces a new feature. Grading free agent additions and roster subtractions. Well, the first is DJ Swearinger.

Swearinger was going to the media on a regular basis and bashed the team front office and coaches. Some fans will say that his arguments have merit and others will claim that he needed to keep it in house. BBQ agrees with the latter. Sunday was the tipping point and the team decided to release Swearinger.

BBQ finds it difficult to accept this decision. An appropriate response would've been to suspend Swearinger for the final game of the season and attempt to trade him in March. He is a Pro Bowl player and could've fetched a fifth or sixth round selection in the 2019 draft - a seventh rounder at the very least.

BBQ grade for the release of Swearinger: D

Today, Christmas Day, BBQ introduces a new feature. Grading free agent additions and roster subtractions. Well, the first is DJ Swearinger.

Swearinger was going to the media on a regular basis and bashed the team front office and coaches. Some fans will say that his arguments have merit and others will claim that he needed to keep it in house. BBQ agrees with the latter. Sunday was the tipping point and the team decided to release Swearinger.

BBQ finds it difficult to accept this decision. An appropriate response would've been to suspend Swearinger for the final game of the season and attempt to trade him in March. He is a Pro Bowl player and could've fetched a fifth or sixth round selection in the 2019 draft - a seventh rounder at the very least.

BBQ grade for the release of Swearinger: D

I think that's a pretty reasonable position. Only things I would throw into the equation are, we don't know what previous conversations with Swearinger entailed, and we don't know what the last conversation with Gruden was. Swearinger says there was no conversation, that he was just informed he was being released.

I think that strains credulity and that he had to have contributed significantly to such a harsh action.

I also think that teams make this kind of move when they are trying to change culture and send a message to the team as an overall unit. Whether that's 'pathetic', 'too little too late', or 'posturing' I guess will be determined by fans and possibly future results. It's hard to argue that trying to get something for him if you've decided to move on would be the smart thing to do. I have to think they had their reasons for not going that route. A lot of fans want to believe that we're just too stupid to have thought of that possibility, or that the front office is just determined to bite off it's nose to spite it's face. I think it might be more complex than that myself, but I understand the questions.

How about a grade for only signing a LB to replace him ?
We have 2, yes 2, true safeties on the 53.
Philly is gonna torch us deep.
We can forget about playing spoiler.

They were going to torch us whether Swearinger played or not Fear!

Well, we can sit back and listen all Winter long about how injuries were the root cause this last season. No need to worry about preseason strategy, lax practices, etc. This is what you get when the owner and FO are unaccountable and the coach has collected his dime.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Redskins have added WRs ArDarius Stewart and Carlos Henderson to the practice squad.

Stewart had a second round grade in the 2017 draft from some pundits (I had him ranked as a 4th rounder) and Henderson graded out as a third to fifth rounder in the same draft, mainly due to his lack of size. I had him ranked as a 5th rounder.

Stewart and Henderson had drug issues last year, but that seems to be behind them. Henderson has added about thirty pounds of bulk to his frame, so that is a good thing. Stewart has the greater potential and has a chance to carve out a career with the team. Ditto for Henderson, but his odds are a bit longer. Both players will obviously be added to the expanded roster next week after the season ends and will have an entire off-season to be evaluated.

This is a very good move for the Redskins. You have two talented receivers from the 2017 draft that have been sniped for free. No cost in draft capital. Low, no risk contracts. Can be released with no cap hit if things don't work out.

Keep an eye on these two receivers during the offseason, especially Stewart. Very good move by the Redskins.

BBQ grade for the addition of Stewart and Henderson: A+

Last edited:

They are on the PS so they can still be claimed by others like Cobbs.

Meanwhile we still have Perine on the roster?

At least with Joe Gibbs' favorite players they could contribute on the field.

Gruden likes guys that sit in the stands inactive each week.

Perine should have been cut weeks ago.

They are on the PS, but only until Monday when the Skins can expand their roster. They are signed for a reason and it is extremely unlikely they are claimed by another team in the next few days.

This will be the last formal entry to the in-season blog for 2018. Thanks for following along and posting all the great comments. This format seems to work, so we'll bring it back for 2019 in September.

I don't have any final grades for the last game or for the 2018 season. The players and coaches seemed to be in off-season mode yesterday and the entire team deserves a failing grade, but it would be pointless to do so formally. The 2018 season would receive an incomplete grade from me due to the many injuries.

The off-sseason blog will be posted later today or sometime tomorrow as we shift our focus to free agency and the draft.

If you want to see any changes to the in-season blog, post it here and I will certainly take all suggestions under advisement. Again, thank for participating in this 2018 in-season blog. On to the off-season!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.