• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

It's about YOU

Funny you should mention it, but I've been impressed with the great conversations going over the past 24 hours. Not everyone is in agreement, but everyone is heard and we haven't had to turn the water hose on anyone yet :)

That's what having a great membership does for you :cheers:

I just wanted to give another compliment to this site. With this whole McNabb trade going down I have seen every side of the coin when it comes to our organization/players/and McNabb and everyone has really stepped their game up to make intelligent and passionate statements.

this is a testimony to how this site is ran. good product = good people. good on ya gents..

Funny you should mention it, but I've been impressed with the great conversations going over the past 24 hours. Not everyone is in agreement, but everyone is heard and we haven't had to turn the water hose on anyone yet :)

That's what having a great membership does for you :cheers:

+1 AND +1
:claps:

agreed boone...this has become the first skinz board i check now!

great work by ownership, admins and mods!

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to post something about McNabb, and actually have people read it and respond, rather than posting something about McNabb, have 100 people post garbage, and have my comment disappear to the point I don't even look for it anymore. Great job!

I don't really care what the site looks like. It already looks fine to me.

What matters is ensuring that the quality of the posts (and, more to the point, posters) remains high. I'm not sure how that is being or should be done, but that's the whole enchilada. (And, for what it's worth, I think the site needs perhaps twice as many posters to reach critical mass, but I tremble for the day when the hordes descend, as happened elsewhere.)

Last edited:
I don't really care what the site looks like. It already looks fine to me.

What matters is ensuring that the quality of the posts (and, more to the point, posters) remains high. I'm not sure how that is being or should be done, but that's the whole enchilada. (And, for what it's worth, I think the site needs perhaps twice as many posters to reach critical mass, but I tremble for the day when the hordes descend, as happened elsewhere.)

Absolutely.

The quality of the conversation here is great because a) we've sort of set that expectation, but mostly because b) we're attracting super-smart (sorry!) members who are posting their guts out :)

I'll contend one point. I think we can maintain the culture even as the board gets larger, even much larger (although that's not a real goal for us). We helped run a huge board previously, and it was still a very high quality community into the tens of thousands of members. It can be done. And we have one huge advantage - this is OUR site. We start getting folks here who don't get it, don't want to get it, and who are hurting what we're trying to do, I can promise you we'll do something about it. But I really don't think we'll need to - the culture of a place (be it a football organization, or an internet messageboard community) really impacts a lot of things.

I used to post on CPND and in the past it was a special site. There was a core group of posters, some mods, some not, that basically set the standards for everyone else while the owner, Stephen Miller kept a light hand on the rudder. Not only was the football discussion top notch, there was this friendly competition to see who could be the most entertaining in their posts. Posters would often weave references from culture, history or literature into their posts and it was an endless source of humor. You had the feeling that you were out with a bunch of friends, having a beer and shooting the ****. New posters who fit into that culture became part of the core and reinforced the board’s standards. Those that didn’t fit in soon dropped out and consequently the ratio of worthwhile posts to white noise was very high. Sure we got trolls and sometimes we would play with them before sending them on their way and fans from other teams that just wanted to talk smack were treated the same way. But serious fans from other teams were always welcome.

But over time CPND changed. The white noise began to overwhelm the worthwhile stuff. But this time I’m not gonna tell you why that is.

IMHO, this site is not where CPND was. But it is new and has the potential to be very special. All the elements are there and I think it just needs time. If it does I certainly want to be part of it.

Last edited:
I used to post on CPND and in the past it was a special site. There was a core group of posters, some mods, some not, that basically set the standards for everyone else while the owner, Stephen Miller kept a light hand on the rudder. Not only was the football discussion top notch, there was this friendly competition to see who could be the most entertaining in their posts. Posters would often weave references from culture, history or literature into their posts and it was an endless source of humor. You had the feeling that you were out with a bunch of friends, having a beer and shooting the ****. New posters who fit into that culture became part of the core and reinforced the board’s standards. Those that didn’t fit in soon dropped out and consequently the ratio of worthwhile posts to white noise was very high. Sure we got trolls and sometimes we would play with them before sending them on their way and fans from other teams that just wanted to talk smack were treated the same way. But serious fans from other teams were always welcome.

But over time CPND changed. The white noise began to overwhelm the worthwhile stuff. But I’m not gonna tell you why that is.

IMHO, this site is not where CPND was. But it is new and has the potential to be very special. All the elements are there and I think it just needs time. If it does I certainly want to be part of it.
The part I've bolded above is very much reflective of the spirit in which BGO was conceived. The market was already ripe with Redskins communities, but we didn't feel there were any legitimately dedicated to the proposition that the internet can in fact offer a haven of civility, respect, humor and intelligence to grownups who happen to be passionate about their favorite football team.

We'd had that vision for some time, and thought we were building it once before, but circumstances overcame the process and redirected it before it could take hold. Well, sink or swim, pursuing that vision will be our mission here for as long as we are around--on that you have our word. It's true that we're less than a year into this thing and still wet behind the ears in many ways, but the truth is we can already see the roots beginning to take.

Here's to a future that, intriguingly enough, is starting to look like it's now.

Edit: by the way, as far as the "friendly competition to see who could be the most entertaining in their posts" ... we commend one and all to BG Overdrive, a one-of-a-kind feature still in its infancy but, we believe, potential to be something special. :)

Last edited:
Great post Alaskan and in many ways you took the words from my mouth. This place has the feel of CPND in the early days and is exactly why I decided to set up shop here so to speak. When I left CPND I was tempted to try and start a site similar to this one that catered to the more intelligent more down to earth fan and wasn't anoother platform for people to just wax poetic about how horrible Dan Snyder and Co are. The Satan's spawn stuff got to be the main theme on MANY sites. I thought a new site with new (but actually old) rules would be a great place to find intelligent smack free conversation. I wanted to call it The Coaches Corner and had all kinds of plans and ideas.

It had plenty of potential but really why? This place is exactly what I would have built in many ways and it's backed by people that I know from long ago and know to be good people with the same desires in a Redskins site as me...more quality, less quantity and a membership that actually thinks about their posts before going off on another "Snyder is Satan", "the Redskins suck donkey balls in perpetuity" and "all of you who go to games or buy any merchandise suck and should be burned at the stake for enabling" rant.

This place is literally a breath of fresh air for me as a displaced Redskins fan.

Edit: by the way, as far as the "friendly competition to see who could be the most entertaining in their posts" ... we commend one and all to BG Overdrive, a one-of-a-kind feature still in its infancy but, we believe, potential to be something special. :)

Yeah, I got one of those. I made a post and a few hours later I get an email that went to a bunch of people saying my post made BG Overdrive and I thought “Damn, Andy Warhol was right.”

I'm just glad to find some folks I've enjoyed posting with over the years, in an environment where Redskins talk is not going on at an overwrought or over-emotional level. It's refreshing not to have to read about this player or that coach in terms that are way too personal, or read about teams moves as though they were made with the sole intention of pissing YOU off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.