• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/22/18: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
skinsquotes.png

August 22, 2018

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On having a game plan for the starters:
"I do have a game plan! I just haven't figured it out yet. I'll decide that -- everybody is preparing to play, and they don't know how long they are going to play, but I have a meeting tomorrow with our staff, and our training staff, and we'll go from there."

On starters getting more playing time this week against the Denver Broncos:
"It's fair to say anything you want nowadays. (laughter) So, you can say whatever you want. I don't know exactly how long they are going to play."

On RB Samaje Perine practicing today:
"He did individual today. He's getting better. I expect him to be out for the game but, I expect him to play the fourth game."

On other players potentially missing this week's game against the Denver Broncos:
"Chris Thompson will be out for sure. Stacy McGee will be out for sure. Trent [Williams], I don't know yet. Jordan [Reed] will be out for sure."

On RB Adrian Peterson mentoring young players:
"It's early [and] his head is swimming right now as far as trying to get himself ready mentally to play, but you can see he is already impressed a lot of people out here, just in the way he runs, and how fast he works, and how dedicated he is to his craft. It won't be long before he rubs off on anybody and everybody."

On what he would like to see from Peterson against the Denver Broncos:
"That's a good question. You know I think a lot of it will determine on how many offensive linemen I have in the game, you know we'll see. In the first half I'd like to get him some touches and get a good lather going."

On how he will evaluate Peterson based on limited reps during this week's preseason game:
"I think you [can] tell by the whole body of work that he has put on throughout his career. I think the big thing you try to see on the first seven [to] eight carries is getting out of the huddle, having the plays register in his mind, how quickly he can adapt to our audibles and all that goes into an offensive game plan. So, trying to give him a feel for the quarterback, snap count, our linemen, our blocking schemes, but as far as viewing him as a player, and what he can do, I think the most important thing is just in the system what he can do."

On team's health and the emphasis on improving in the third preseason game:
"I think we are just getting healthier really. I think there [have] been some guys with some nagging injuries, not too serious of injuries; they just need a couple days here and there. I think there are a few other guys who could probably play, that won't play. Just keep them out because we have a few weeks before our first regular season game. So, we'll be a little bit more careful now than we would be in the regular season, but it is good to see pretty much a full roster out there practicing for the first time in a while."

On if TE Vernon Davis has a limited role when TE Jordan Reed is on the field:
"Not really. Vernon has been just a perfect guy to coach really. He's never complained, never said boo. He just comes out, does what he's asked and does it 100 miles an hour. There's been some coaching we've had to do with him as far as transition into our terminology and some learning for him, but for the most part, he just goes out and plays. He loves football and loves to be coached and loves to practice. He hasn't missed one practice -- knock on wood -- so he's never been an issue as far as that is concerned."

On if he decided this week to sit RB Chris Thompson and Reed:
"No, it's been the plan. Yeah, we've got to get them ready [for the regular season]. They're practicing more. Chris is doing more and more [and] Jordan is doing more and more. They're getting themselves ready."

On if he is comfortable with Thompson and Reed playing this week if it were the regular season:
"I believe so. I believe so, but luckily, that's not the case and we've got another two and a half to three weeks for them to really, really, get some good practice sessions in, get with Alex [Smith], and get quality work in, not only for them, but for Alex, but also for their bodies to get them in shape."

On QB Alex Smith's leadership style:
"It's been positive. There's been nothing negative, obviously, so he's just a quality teammate. He's a veteran guy that brings veteran leadership naturally that comes natural to him. It's nothing that is forced by him. The players all respond to him. He communicates well with the rookie free agents equally as well as he does with the veteran players on this football team. So, a very [good] guy, easy to like, very well likable guy, easy to like, easy to play with and a very good, obviously, leader and teammate."

On LB Pernell McPhee:
"He's doing [well]. He missed about three or four days there, a couple nagging things that we just had to rest him a few times, but for the most part, he's doing [well]. He has come in and he's one of the natural leaders also. A veteran guy that's come in and worked extremely hard [and] communicates the defense well. He's a fit. You know, he can play outside linebacker, he can move inside in nickel situations, so we're just getting the feel for what he's best at, the best place to put him. Right now, he's obviously behind Preston [Smith] and Ryan Kerrigan but also we could use him in third-down in different areas. But he's done a great job."

On the importance of another pass rush option:
"Yeah, it's good. It's good. The good thing also is, you know, with Jonathan [Allen] and, obviously, Daron [Payne] and when Matt [Ioannidis] gets back we have some interior pass rush already. It's not necessary but it's also good to have different packages and get those guys some rest. Bring in Pernell [McPhee] maybe that can stand up and do some different things at the three-technique. We have options there on third-down, which are good."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.