• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Sign RB Adrian Peterson

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
August 20, 2018

REDSKINS SIGN RB ADRIAN PETERSON

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent running back Adrian Peterson. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. In addition, the team has signed free agent running back De'Veon Smith and waived tackle Cameron Jefferson as designated injured.

Peterson (6-2, 220) is a 12-year NFL veteran after spending 10 seasons with the Minnesota Vikings after being selected in the first round (No. 7 overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft. For his career, Peterson has appeared in 133 games with 123 starts. He has amassed 12,276 rushing yards (4.8 avg.) on 2,574 attempts and 99 touchdowns. In addition, he has recorded 252 receptions for 2,015 yards and five touchdown receptions.

He has rushed for at least 100 yards in 51 games including six games where he eclipsed the 200-yard mark. He currently ranks third all-time in yards per game (92.3) and is tied for ninth in rushing touchdowns (99). Peterson is 37 yards shy from entering the NFL's Top 10 in career rushing yards.

Peterson has been selected to seven NFL Pro Bowls and was the 2012 NFL MVP. In 2012, he rushed for a single season career high of 2,097 yards (6.03 avg.) on 348 carries and 12 touchdowns. His total yards rushing in 2012 currently ranks second all-time in NFL history.

Last season, Peterson played for the Arizona Cardinals after opening the regular season with the New Orleans Saints. In 2017, he compiled 529 yards on 156 attempts with two touchdowns.

Peterson played collegiately at Oklahoma, where he played in 31 games and rushed for 4,041 yards (5.4 avg.) on 748 attempts and 41 touchdowns. He was a three-time All Big 12 first-team honoree and was an AP First Team All-American in 2004.

Peterson, 33, attended Palestine (Texas) H.S., where he was the consensus National Player of the Year and was named to the U.S. Army All-America Game. He was born March 21, 1985.

-REDSKINS-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone has kids who like to play the fool, just take them to Ashburn.

Too soon?

So when I heard the news today, I felt a little sad. I have been pushing for this move since the off-season. I felt we needed a veteran who could push the younger backs to meet their potential, or simply replace them if they couldn't get the job done.

Here we are, and another front office move, or lack thereof, in the off-season did not pan out. They relied on existing players who were unproven and the FO felt could get the job done, when bringing in at least one FA like Carlos Hyde, or anyone else affordable, would have proven to be more realistic going into the season.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know we are here mostly because of injury, but the front office made a poor move to rely so heavily on all of those injury plagued players in the first place while adding only one RB in the draft. There was no viable contingency plan. Kapri Bibbs should not be #1 on the depth chart.

So when I heard the news today, I felt a little sad. I have been pushing for this move since the off-season. I felt we needed a veteran who could push the younger backs to meet their potential, or simply replace them if they couldn't get the job done.

Here we are, and another front office move, or lack thereof, in the off-season did not pan out. They relied on existing players who were unproven and the FO felt could get the job done, when bringing in at least one FA like Carlos Hyde, or anyone else affordable, would have proven to be more realistic going into the season.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know we are here mostly because of injury, but the front office made a poor move to rely so heavily on all of those injury plagued players in the first place while adding only one RB in the draft. There was no viable contingency plan. Kapri Bibbs should not be #1 on the depth chart.

I think you're being ridiculously critical. We're not here 'mostly because of injury'. We're here EXACTLY because of injury. They used their 2nd pick in the draft on one of the most heralded RBs in the draft. If not for a ridiculously unfortunate season-ending injury, we would be set at RB for this year. Add on top of that injuries to key backups and that's why we're where we are at.

If the Skins FO had ignored the need for a difference making RB in the offseason, I'd be right there with you. But we should've been in great shape after drafting Guice. You can't foresee or plan for all events, certainly not having 1/2 your RBs and a gifted top tier rookie go down before even 1 regular season game happens. No FO can.

Yeah El, back off.

Or all of us will hold you down and force you to eat...……….tomato sammiches.

With a coach who disdains the run, it's just not that huge. We all need to hope that AP can find that fountain of youth, and make Gruden look smarter, concerning the run game, than we 've seen so far.

It's all good. I think Kelly and Perine are going to be better than you and BT seem to think.

And don't forget about the tomato sammiches, Bucko!

My line of thinking is pretty much with Ax, that this signing would mean more if Jay wasn't Jay. Now if he miraculously recognizes what a complete offense can do with ground game then I'm digging it a little.

I read where AP got into it with Sean Payton about utilizing most of their run plays. Rumors were AP only likes a specific amount of run plays selected

If remotely true this should be a fun season..

Yeah El, back off.

Or all of us will hold you down and force you to eat...……….tomato sammiches.

With a coach who disdains the run, it's just not that huge. We all need to hope that AP can find that fountain of youth, and make Gruden look smarter, concerning the run game, than we 've seen so far.

It's all good. I think Kelly and Perine are going to be better than you and BT seem to think.

And don't forget about the tomato sammiches, Bucko!

Arrgh. Tomatoes? Acid reflex here it comes.

How about this angle: I think Gruden would welcome a strong run-game. My take is that he gives up too easily when the running game heads South. That's what I've seen. It makes some sense when the defense keeps bending and surrendering points. Not so much this year when the D is gonna be top 10 - mark it!

Gotta wonder a couple things. First of all, is AP on the roster to start the regular season (I still think there's a chance they find he really has gotten old quick and can't play at a high enough level to warrant holding a 2018 roster spot)? Secondly, are we done - is there a chance we go after a RB roster cut before the regular season?

I think the Scandrick cut shows the team isn't going to hold onto a veteran just because he's a veteran.

Arrgh. Tomatoes? Acid reflex here it comes.

How about this angle: I think Gruden would welcome a strong run-game. My take is that he gives up too easily when the running game heads South. That's what I've seen. It makes some sense when the defense keeps bending and surrendering points. Not so much this year when the D is gonna be top 10 - mark it!

Take any angle you want, my friend. Just happy to see you hangin' round.

But back to the point, I've said, if our RB's average 7.5yds per carry, with 15 carries per game, Gruden would be a big fan of the run.
Howeva, 4yds per carry, on 25 carries a game, is kryptonite to Jay Gruden. Plus, it bores him to tears.

I think you're being ridiculously critical. We're not here 'mostly because of injury'. We're here EXACTLY because of injury. They used their 2nd pick in the draft on one of the most heralded RBs in the draft. If not for a ridiculously unfortunate season-ending injury, we would be set at RB for this year. Add on top of that injuries to key backups and that's why we're where we are at.

If the Skins FO had ignored the need for a difference making RB in the offseason, I'd be right there with you. But we should've been in great shape after drafting Guice. You can't foresee or plan for all events, certainly not having 1/2 your RBs and a gifted top tier rookie go down before even 1 regular season game happens. No FO can.

No, we're here because of injury AND a weak ass contingency plan. We came into camp practically giving the starting job to a rookie...albeit a seemingly good rookie. Why? He should have been pushed by a vet. So what about when he went down? Not a single RB on the team was a starter, or the potential...except maybe Samaje Perrine. We were NOT in great shape after Guice. You cannot keep repeating that statement as if it were factual, we don't have the talent at the position to depend on someone to step up...we needed more talent before camp started. You want to develop players, ok...I'm all for that. But the players you want to develop need to have talent, and our RB's didn't. Rob kelly is lost out there. If the hole is opened up immediately, he can see it...otherwise, he lacks the vision to succeed. Samaje Perrine...solid backup - 4th string. Byron Marshall? He and Perrine should have been battling for the 4th spot. Kapri Bibbs? Give...me...a...break!

We did not address the RB position satisfactorily. We should have brought in a proven vet who could have pushed Guice for the starting position. I was making that claim in the off-season, but was clamoring more for the WR position where we are in the same spot. 3 possible players who could fill in, but none proven in the NFL. Carlos Hyde is 26 and he and Guice could have been a great tandem, with Thompson coming in on 3rd downs. You keep Perrine or Byron Marshall for backup to step in for Guice or Hyde. And it didn't have to be Hyde, although I think he was the best RB in FA this offseason.

The FO relied too much on the talent we had from the last 2 seasons who have done little to warrant a chance to be on this team. Guice was an awesome move, I think Samaje Perrine looks better than any other RB we have on the team outside of Guice and Thompson, other than that...Byron Marshall is the only one who may have the talent. Knowing all that why do you only bring in one player at a position that is clear need? You draft a good one like we did, and you bring in a FA veteran who has ability for a reasonable price, like Carlos Hyde.

So here we are, bringing in the FA veteran available, who just happens to be over the hill, but still better than any RB on our team. FO fails again.

You know what I REALLY wish Gruden would do about the run game ?
And I don't care how much the role is diminishing in the league - but utilize a blocking FB.
Like, a REAL fullback, not like a Niles Paul type. That would really give us the boost our running game and blocking game is lacking.

Gotta wonder a couple things. First of all, is AP on the roster to start the regular season (I still think there's a chance they find he really has gotten old quick and can't play at a high enough level to warrant holding a 2018 roster spot)? Secondly, are we done - is there a chance we go after a RB roster cut before the regular season?

I think the Scandrick cut shows the team isn't going to hold onto a veteran just because he's a veteran.

Just to be diligent, we should be looking at the Patriots to see who they release. They are loaded at the position.

I've posted loads of stats backing up my position El. I've shown that both Perine and Kelley were top 5 in their rookie classes in terms of yards even though neither was entrenched as starter and both had to split time with multiple backs. I've put up numbers of the so called 'great backs' (you know, the ones all of the other teams supposedly have) and their rookie #'s are remarkably similar to the Redskins RBs who are incessantly beat on.

I've put facts and numbers out there to support my position. You just choose not to respond to them. Kelley had a fine 2016 season. He had a number of solid games. If he'd started every game, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. An injury plagued 2017 and a couple of lackluster preseason games and now he's just a scrub. Perine struggled some his first year, and he's no good either. I'm not buying either of those suggestions.

If you really look at the numbers, it's the Redskins rushing ATTACK, not the individual RBs who statistically suck. Everyone wants to say we were in the bottom 1/4th of the leagues rushing attacks because we lack talent at RB - but it's the whole scheme and offensive unit that has statistically failed to produce a dominant rush attack during the Gruden era. And even that 'fact' is skewed somewhat because we are frequently passing to our backs, not handing it off to them. That's RB productivity that no one even acknowledges.

Bottom line - we'd have been just fine in 2018, given the limited importance of the rushing attack in a Gruden offense, barring the injuries. Shit happens. RB was not and is not the only need this team had to be concerned with.

I know there's nothing like game action to see if AP has still got anything in the tank, but consider...

They worked him out on Monday and they have the likes of Guice (pre-injury), Kelley, Perine and co to benchmark him against. He obviously did enough to impress enough to get a signing.

Also he's taking the Vet minimum and from what Tandler, Findlay and co were saying on the podcast yesterday it doesn't sound like any of it is guaranteed if he doesn't make the regular season. These next two Pre-season games sound like his audition. (Although I could be misreading that, but I swear that's what they said!)

And lastly, the Skins do have an inside man on how AP looks outside the park as apparently he trains with Trent. It's possible that Trent (if asked) went to bat for his friend, but it's also possible he was just honest and said that AP looks great.

At this point we're decidedly RB-by-committee. Whether that suits AP's style I don't know, historically maybe not. But last year he had bad games, average games... and a couple of great games. He barely played in 2016. I think the Skins look at this as a win/win. Veteran locker room presence, may have advice for Guice on coming back from injury, Veteran minimum paycheck, may on occasion have a break out monster game.

I also wondered if Guice was a kick up the backside for our other running backs. Kelley and Perine especially had solid well regarded competition for the job they'd had a year ago. When Guice got injured I did wonder if they maybe considered themselves safe for the year, who knows what mental process players go through. Kelley seems to be super diligent about improving and I feel like it can only be a good thing to have an All Pro like AP in the house to learn from and pushing them, even if he is past his prime.

Colour me still excited for the season. :D

Bottom line, this is a low risk signing, we've either got a contributor or we don't, it's all conjecture and speculation until we see him on the field. We needed depth, we needed a body, we needed someone who was willing to not demand anything but a chance to play. I think AP checks all those boxes at this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.