• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/18/18: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
skinsquotes.png

August 18, 2018

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On if he has an injury update on RB Samaje Perine and RB Byron Marshall:
"Not really. We're just going to get them rehab and see how long it takes. They should be OK though."

On when Perine and Marshall will return:
"There's no reports really, we'll just wait and see. Every injury is different and we'll play it by ear and see how long it takes."

On if Perine or Marshall will play Week 1:
"I don't know that. The injury report will come out Week 1 on - when is it, Wednesday? And there you have it."

On RB Martez Carter:
"He was [absent]. We waived him pending a physical and all that stuff as injured. We waived him injured. He was injured in the game. He hurt his leg."

On the injuries to the running back group:
"Well it happened to our offensive line last year, but we had three healthy bodies out there today. Chris [Thompson], well Kapri [Bibbs] and obviously Rob [Kelley] and they took full advantage of the reps and had a good day."

On adding running backs to the roster:
"Yeah, that is an option. We are steady making moves and we'll have a workout tomorrow. We will take a look at some other guys, so that is a strong possibility."

On the wide receivers that were not out at practice:
"We had quite a few that weren't out there today - just nursing some things, some injuries of that nature. So we will get them all back after they get out of the recovery room and get their rehab and hopefully get them out there soon."

On playing the starters in the third preseason game against the Denver Broncos:
"Yeah, we'll wait and see the guys that are available to us number one, obviously, is the most important thing, and then we'll go from there. Obviously, we want to try to prepare Week 3 like it's going to be a regular season game, so our preparation will be as such preparing for a regular season game just to get the cards and how we're going to install and practice that week. Preview for that. As for who's playing, we'll wait and see on that."

On his evaluation of the offensive line following the preseason game against the New York Jets:
"I think the offensive line did a pretty good job. You know, I think [Geron] Christian battled for the most part at left tackle - starting at left tackle. Obviously [Shawn] Lauvao played well. Chase [Roullier] played well, Brandon [Schreff] did a good job and Morgan [Moses] got some quality work in his first really big action of the season for him. So, it was good work. You know, it was only about nine or 10 plays though for those starters but I like the way they came off and played."

On TE Jordan Reed's absence from practice:
"He has a virus. He's OK. He's sick."

On DL Daron Payne and DL Jonathan Allen complementing each other:
"Very well, they played well early. You know, I think you saw the stop. They lined up an empty on the first play and then they tried running on the second play and then, obviously on third down, Payne got the sack. But, those two complement each other very well, and then when Ziggy Hood comes in there, obviously we get [Matt] Ioannidis back, Phil Taylor [Sr.] will start to practice here shortly. He practiced today. It's a pretty good group in there - [Anthony] Lanier. So, they complement each other well. They're multiple at what they can do is why. Payne can line up as a three, a four, a shade, whatever he wants to do. He can play - same with Jonathan [Allen], same with Matt [and] same with Ziggy. So, very multiple on what they do and they complement each other well. Then we have the great edge setters with Preston [Smith] and Ryan [Kerrigan] and [Pernell] McPhee and Pete [Robertson] getting better and obviously Ryan Anderson."

On if height was a factor in signing WR Allenzae Staggers:
"No, we just try to get the best guy available. We had a couple workouts and we liked his frame. We'll see what he can bring to the table. He has a lot to learn in a short period of time but we'll get him up to speed."

On CB Greg Stroman, CB Fabian Moreau and CB Danny Johnson:
"I like the way they played. Danny did a good job, did some nice things, and Stroman, you know, he's competing and Fabian. They're all learning together, which is good. I thought they communicated fairly well for the most part and were able to fly around [and] make some plays early in that football game. You know, I think they all performed pretty well. I think the communication is what I'm most impressed with right now. We don't have a lot of [busted plays], which is good."

On WR Paul Richardson, Jr. and WR Josh Doctson:
"I think they complement each other well. You throw [Jamison] Crowder out there as well and it's a good group. It would be nice to get them all out there at once but right now it is what it is. We are trying to deal with the guys we have available but together I think they're good."

On adding veteran running backs to roster:
"I am going to get the list as soon as I go in to see who is coming in for this workout. It will be fun to see. We'll see."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, from the reports it doesn't look like the team is 'playing it by ear' in regards to the backs.

With Guice out for the season and only Kelley really having shown at any point capable of being a regular back in the NFL this team is hurting for depth.

Bibbs, Marshall and Perine are hopes and prayers rather than anything known to be solid options at this point.

I think bringing in a veteran for stability is the route to go.

Have that veteran platoon with Kelley to keep them both fresh and bridge to 2019.

Again, unless the team is really that desperate to win at all costs in 2018 that we end up trading a draft choice for a back who is capable of starting in the league.

Well, from the reports it doesn't look like the team is 'playing it by ear' in regards to the backs.

With Guice out for the season and only Kelley really having shown at any point capable of being a regular back in the NFL this team is hurting for depth.

Bibbs, Marshall and Perine are hopes and prayers rather than anything known to be solid options at this point.

I think bringing in a veteran for stability is the route to go.

Have that veteran platoon with Kelley to keep them both fresh and bridge to 2019.

Again, unless the team is really that desperate to win at all costs in 2018 that we end up trading a draft choice for a back who is capable of starting in the league.

I think the news of both Marshall and Perine being beat up, and then the apparent injury to Carter, that has forced their hand. I don't care If we bring someone in as a 1 year bridge but I'm adamantly opposed to a trade of any kind knowing Guice will be back. We can weather this year without resorting to a trade.

Last edited:
Yea if we were like the Vikings, and just one piece from being a Super Bowl favorite, then I might trade for a RB.
Otherwise no.
That's not to say I don't think it's possible for this team to make it to the Super Bowl. But a lot of things have to go right, for that to happen.

I agree and still target 2019 as the year things can come together given the relative youth of the DL and secondary as well as skill players at WR and RB.

2018 I see as a season of improvement and a 9-7 type finish where the team is in every game and a threat to beat the Eagles or Saints and some of the better teams on the schedule.

I agree and still target 2019 as the year things can come together given the relative youth of the DL and secondary as well as skill players at WR and RB.

2018 I see as a season of improvement and a 9-7 type finish where the team is in every game and a threat to beat the Eagles or Saints and some of the better teams on the schedule.

But a couple of significant Free Agent signings in the off-season that would not have broken the bank would have made us even more competitive. Allen Robinson as well as Paul Richardson, and a RB like Carlos Hyde. I have spoken ad nauseum about another DT so I will refrain in this context. In fact, if I were the Skins, I might be discussing a 4th round pick and a young player at this point for Carlos Hyde. There isn't enough room in Cleveland for him, Chubb and Duke Johnson.

But a couple of significant Free Agent signings in the off-season that would not have broken the bank would have made us even more competitive. Allen Robinson as well as Paul Richardson, and a RB like Carlos Hyde. I have spoken ad nauseum about another DT so I will refrain in this context. In fact, if I were the Skins, I might be discussing a 4th round pick and a young player at this point for Carlos Hyde. There isn't enough room in Cleveland for him, Chubb and Duke Johnson.

I also really wanted Robinson. They filled our RB need in the draft - we could've gotten Hyde or some other free agent RB and they could've blown out their ACL. Just bad luck. Not to keep beating the same drum, but why give up picks or players when Guice is back in a year? I don't get that idea ...

I also really wanted Robinson. They filled our RB need in the draft - we could've gotten Hyde or some other free agent RB and they could've blown out their ACL. Just bad luck. Not to keep beating the same drum, but why give up picks or players when Guice is back in a year? I don't get that idea ...

Because we lack true talent at the position, Boone. These guys are not good. One draft pick to address the position in the off-season obviously wasn't enough. It's why you sign a veteran and draft a RB when your RB depth is limited as limited as our's. I'm sorry, but we simply don't have real depth at that position. I would still consider a trade for Hyde if the Browns were willing. We'd have him for 2 years, and he could push Guice next off-season.

I will say this with absolute certainty, not one of the current RB's we have capable of actually suiting up right now, will even be on the opening roster next season. In fact, I will go so far as to say Guice and Thompson are the closest to guarantees to be on the roster opening day next season.

Agreed, let's not fool ourselves. Guice and Chris Thompson are the only 'givens' at running back in terms of talent.

The other players we have for depth there are either question marks or guys that have some skills but not well-rounded enough to be full-time NFLers.

From what I saw last year Jamaal Charles can't run anymore. So pass.

Darkwa evidently wants a starting job given to him and a multi-year deal. So pass.

But I think Peterson may be a great fit here for the 2018 season.

It wasn't going to be a balanced offensive attack anyway. It is still going to be pass happy.

Stop sniveling about running back situation. Do you guys truly believe we have the offensive line to consistently open holes for a credible running game as we see in dallas, New Jersey and Philly? I'm leaning towards no for now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.