A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 10 - Texans. Just win ugly, baby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4,046
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    25

    B 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Obviously injuries are already a big part of the 2018 season for all Redskins fans. I admit it, I'm bummed over the Guice news from a few days ago.

    The impact of injuries was an interesting side topic in the Guice injury thread and it was suggested that the Skins have worse issues here than other clubs. Honestly, I've not paid a lot of attention unless we were playing the "other" team so I thought I considered tracking it. After the news today that the Patriots of have their 1st pick for the season to an Achilles tear, I thought I'd try to do it here where we could all see it.

    As this is a Skins forum, the Skins list will appear at the top, then the rest of the league in alphabetical order by city/state/region part of their name. Just to have some sort of line this list will only include players who have moved off the active roster and put on injured reserve. We will not include players designated for possible return. Just guys who are 100% gone for the 2018 season.

    My ask is this...as you hear of season ending injuries around the league, please drop a post in this thread. Covering one team is hard enough, covering 32 would be impossible without some help. I will pull from this thread and add names to the OP for a "one stop shop" of season ending injuries league wide.

    Oh, and feel free to discuss below as well.

    Washington Redskins
    Arie Kouandjio - G - Pre-Pre-Season (Torn Quad)
    Derrius Guice - RB - Pre-Season (ACL)
    Manasseh Garner - TE - Pre-Season (ACL)
    Robert Davis - WR - Pre-Season (broken leg, ligament damage)
    Cam Sims - WR - Week 1 (ankle)
    Trey Quinn - WR - Week 1 (ankle)
    Rob Elliot - RB - Week 2 (toe)
    Brandon Scherff - OG - Week 9 (torn pectoral)
    Shaun Lauveo - OG - Week 9 (ACL)
    Paul Richardson - WR - Week 9 (shoulder, thigh)
    Geron Christian - OL - Week 10 (MCL)

    Atlanta Falcons
    Keanu Neal - S - Week 1 (ACL) Pro Bowl
    Deion Jones - LB - Week 1 (foot) Pro Bowl - designated to return
    Ricardo Allen - S - Week 3 (Achilles)

    Carolina Panthers
    Greg Olsen - TE - Week 1 (broken foot) not on IR but will miss significant game time
    Daryl Williams - T - Week 1 (knee)

    Miami Dolphins
    William Hayes - DE - Week 3 (ACL)

    Green Bay Packers
    Muhammad Wilkerson - DE - Week 3 (ankle)

    New England Patriots
    Isiah Wynn - OT - Pre-Season (Achilles)

    Oakland Raiders
    Andrew DePaola - LS - Week 1 (ACL)

    Tennessee Titans
    Delanie Walker - TE - Week 1 (broken ankle, ligament damage)

    San Francisco 49ers
    Jimmy Garoppolo - QB - Week 3 (ACL)
    Last edited by Boone; 11-14-18 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Add to list
    0 2 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    hailus redskinnus
    COYS

  2. #2
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    09-28-10
    Location
    BGO's Official Resident "Tech Dummy"
    Posts
    9,036
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Add RB Keith Marshall...for the 3rd year in a row.

    https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/fo...ry-settlement/
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Sent from my Basic Flip Phone.
    Powered by Tomato Can Wireless.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,373
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    93
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Awesome idea for a thread - facts vs. perception. This site looks to provide exactly what you're looking for:

    https://www.footballdb.com/transacti...am&sortdir=asc

    So far, looks like Arizona and Tennessee have matched our losses. Pittsburgh already has 6 on IR. 2 more teams have lost 4 players to IR. So while not alone, we're towards the top of the league in terms of lost players so far.

    I'm not sure the part about just listing guys 'lost for the season' is practical though - as I believe teams can bring back 2 guys after they spend 8 weeks on IR (if physically able). Obviously, ACLs are going to be out for the year, but other IR types may not be as straight forward...

    Wondering if we just kept track of #'s to start with by team if it might be easier, but just a thought...
    Last edited by Boone; 08-17-18 at 10:51 PM.
    1 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  4. #4
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    09-28-10
    Location
    BGO's Official Resident "Tech Dummy"
    Posts
    9,036
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    I'm not sure the part about just listing guys 'lost for the season' is practical though - as I believe teams can bring back 2 guys after they spend 8 weeks on IR (if physically able).
    Also, the other things is, isn't there another stat called something like "man-games lost" which accounts for all the players who missed a game or games, and not just the ones lost for the season. Basically a tick mark for each individual game that each individual player missed. That would give a true, accurate, and total perspective on how one team's injuries compare to another.
    Last edited by Fear The Spear; 08-17-18 at 11:51 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Sent from my Basic Flip Phone.
    Powered by Tomato Can Wireless.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4,046
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    25

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Fear The Spear View Post
    Also, the other things is, isn't there another stat called something like "man-games lost" which accounts for all the players who missed a game or games, and not just the ones lost for the season. Basically a tick mark for each individual game that each individual player missed. That would give a true, accurate, and total perspective on how one team's injuries compare to another.
    The problem with this, at least in my mind, is that so many teams fudge on their weekly injury reports that I'm never sure who is out and for what reason. My goal here was to look at the serious injuries that cost a player a season of their career (or more), and compare that across the league. In my head, I'm also kind of thinking about comparing that to other sports as well but that is a bigger project. For example, guys miss a match here or there for a knock in soccer all the time but it is my belief that season enders are much more rare.

    I do look at the "man games lost" stat. The Skins have been high on that list a number of times in the last few years too.

    Having said that, if we want to expand the scope of this thread, I'm okay with that too.
    0 1 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    hailus redskinnus
    COYS

  6. #6

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4,046
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    25

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Awesome idea for a thread - facts vs. perception. This site looks to provide exactly what you're looking for:

    https://www.footballdb.com/transacti...am&sortdir=asc

    So far, looks like Arizona and Tennessee have matched our losses. Pittsburgh already has 6 on IR. 2 more teams have lost 4 players to IR. So while not alone, we're towards the top of the league in terms of lost players so far.

    I'm not sure the part about just listing guys 'lost for the season' is practical though - as I believe teams can bring back 2 guys after they spend 8 weeks on IR (if physically able). Obviously, ACLs are going to be out for the year, but other IR types may not be as straight forward...

    Wondering if we just kept track of #'s to start with by team if it might be easier, but just a thought...
    Love that website, Boone. Been looking for something just like that and somehow never hit the right search word combination to find it. Thanks!

    In find it interesting that this site shows 5 Skins on IR while the Skins official site only lists 4. Wonder who is right and how we determine that?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    hailus redskinnus
    COYS

  7. #7

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,373
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    93
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
    In find it interesting that this site shows 5 Skins on IR while the Skins official site only lists 4. Wonder who is right and how we determine that?
    Oddly, if you click on Wellman's name on the database site, it shows him being 'waived' on 8/11 and then the next day going on 'Injured Reserve'... not sure I understand that?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  8. #8
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    09-28-10
    Location
    BGO's Official Resident "Tech Dummy"
    Posts
    9,036
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    The team that won the Super Bowl, had to overcome an injury that was thought to be irrecoverable.
    Twice. (QB and LT)
    Injuries are affecting all teams as the league becomes more violent.
    Perhaps the secret to a winning team for now and the future is not who stacks up the most talent, but who stacks the most depth.
    Almost like the regular season is one great big preseason, in this sense : You gotta have great 2nd stringers to complete it !
    Last edited by Fear The Spear; 08-19-18 at 01:49 AM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Sent from my Basic Flip Phone.
    Powered by Tomato Can Wireless.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,373
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    93
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Lotta truth in that. I also referenced Philly overcoming devastating injury last season, but I think we also need to recognize that this was probably an outlier. Teams rarely are able to overcome a huge rash of injuries to key players, unless replacements perform at a superhuman level when called upon, as Nick Foles did last year.

    Large volumes of major injuries can and usually do torpedo the chances of success.


    Posted With Tapatalk
    0 1 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  10. #10

    Join Date
    10-01-09
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    9,478
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    133
    Virginia

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Oddly, if you click on Wellman's name on the database site, it shows him being 'waived' on 8/11 and then the next day going on 'Injured Reserve'... not sure I understand that?
    In the preseason, teams release a player with an injury designation. Any other team can make a waiver claim and they have twenty-four hours to do so. If that player goes unclaimed, then he goes on to IR with his original team. They can still release him or choose to keep him on IR for the season.
    1 0 0 0
     
     
    The simplicity in me is complicated.
    I live in my own little world, but that's ok. They know me here.
    Redskins Fan - Emeritus

  11. #11
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    09-28-10
    Location
    BGO's Official Resident "Tech Dummy"
    Posts
    9,036
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    So, the good news is Wellman is still a Redskin. At least it's good news to me.
    The bad news is we now have 7 players on IR, through just 2 preseason games.
    An average of 3 and a half players go to IR, per game.
    0 1 0 0
     
     
    Sent from my Basic Flip Phone.
    Powered by Tomato Can Wireless.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4,046
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    25

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Fear The Spear View Post
    The team that won the Super Bowl, had to overcome an injury that was thought to be irrecoverable.
    Twice. (QB and LT)
    Injuries are affecting all teams as the league becomes more violent.
    Perhaps the secret to a winning team for now and the future is not who stacks up the most talent, but who stacks the most depth.
    Almost like the regular season is one great big preseason, in this sense : You gotta have great 2nd stringers to complete it !
    I think every sport is about who has the deepest team and how much of a drop off there is between your starters and subs, regardless of why the subs need to come on, be it for injury, equipment, regular rotation like we see in a number of sports, discipline or any other reason. No team in any sport can do without quality depth and finding that depth is usually a significant part of the difference between the teams.
    0 1 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    hailus redskinnus
    COYS

  13. #13
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    09-28-10
    Location
    BGO's Official Resident "Tech Dummy"
    Posts
    9,036
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Add Catalina to the IR list
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Sent from my Basic Flip Phone.
    Powered by Tomato Can Wireless.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,373
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    93
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Well, as the only listed alternative to Scherff at RG, I think we're going to make a move to bring in a quality backup. I wouldn't rule out a trade of a player or picks to make it happen. We're now thin as hell there.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  15. #15

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,731
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Yeah, I bet they have their eyes on 2 or 3 guys expected to be released by other teams.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  16. #16

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,373
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    93
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Yeah, I bet they have their eyes on 2 or 3 guys expected to be released by other teams.
    I think they were going to looking hard at the waiver wire even before Catalina's injury. I'm not sure that will be enough. We need a reliable backup. That's why I'm wondering if we might see a player or picks trade happen here pretty soon.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  17. #17
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    09-28-10
    Location
    BGO's Official Resident "Tech Dummy"
    Posts
    9,036
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Kalis is capable of backing up guard.
    He was on the preseason's 2nd team and did well.
    Supposedly, the only reason they didn't keep him last year, is because Catalina doubled as G/T.
    Maybe that's the type of player they're looking for again this year, to help save roster space, who knows ?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Sent from my Basic Flip Phone.
    Powered by Tomato Can Wireless.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,373
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    93
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Fear The Spear View Post
    Kalis is capable of backing up guard.
    He was on the preseason's 2nd team and did well.
    Supposedly, the only reason they didn't keep him last year, is because Catalina doubled as G/T.
    Maybe that's the type of player they're looking for again this year, to help save roster space, who knows ?
    Of course he can - which creates a need at left guard. Dude - our OL is incredibly shallow. Catalina was a backup. It's no minor thing to lose him.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  19. #19
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    09-28-10
    Location
    BGO's Official Resident "Tech Dummy"
    Posts
    9,036
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Of course he can - which creates a need at left guard. Dude - our OL is incredibly shallow. Catalina was a backup. It's no minor thing to lose him.
    I agree with what you're saying, and it sounds like you're debating something, but I'm not exactly sure what it is that you're debating.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Sent from my Basic Flip Phone.
    Powered by Tomato Can Wireless.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,373
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    93
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: 2018 Season Ending Injury Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Fear The Spear View Post
    I agree with what you're saying, and it sounds like you're debating something, but I'm not exactly sure what it is that you're debating.
    Sorry - I thought it was obvious. It's not about the quality of our remaining guys, it's about #'s. We just don't have enough quality depth on the OL. Saying Kalis is 'capable' is fine. But we were thin before Catalina went down, so that's not really relevant to the concern about *depth*. Does that help?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-17, 10:03 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-15, 04:42 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-15, 12:10 AM
  4. PFT: Niles Paul suffers season-ending injury
    By BGO in forum Redskins News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-13-15, 11:50 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-14, 06:04 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •