• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Guice and Garner our for 2018 Season

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
August 10, 2018

STATEMENT BY THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS

"RB Derrius Guice and TE Manasseh Garner will miss the 2018 season due to ACL injuries sustained from last night's preseason game at the New England Patriots. Both players are expected to make a full recovery and are looking forward to playing in 2019."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it certainly doesn't mean the potential for a playoff season is gone.... but Jesus F. Christ already.

OMG. I like what I was seeing from Guice. Gutted for both but we move on and next up get their go.

Honestly, I consider this to be a big part of the issue with the NFL today. There are way too many "season ending" injuries, often even before the season begins. It's depressing.

The Skins spend a high draft pick on an exciting RB, he suits up for the first PRE-SEASON game and is lost until 2019 before halftime.

Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't feel like I see anywhere near the number of injuries like this in other sports (yes, I say that knowing that there are more NFL players and it's a more violent sport but still...)

Well, well, another glorious season start with shackles in place. Jesus.

Honestly, I consider this to be a big part of the issue with the NFL today. There are way too many "season ending" injuries, often even before the season begins. It's depressing.

Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't feel like I see anywhere near the number of injuries like this in other sports

I don't see nearly as many with other teams, than the Skins.
One has to wonder what this team is doing/not doing to end up with these recurring, extreme situations.
It certainly is not luck or coincidence.

This sucks. I was really excited to see Guice. I thought he could have a huge year, but now he won't get to show it. Hopefully he recovers and we can see it next year.

Well, well, another glorious season start with shackles in place. Jesus.

On a bright note - serv!!!!

Eh, next man up.

It obviously sucks to lose ANY guy for the year. It especially sucks to lose a guy with great.....potential.
Which at this stage, is the only thing he is. Potential.
So, heal well, keep your mind straight, and we'll see you next year kid.

The worst thing is that now Gruden has an excuse to remain pass-happy. Instead of instilling the attitude of a hard nosed running attack.
Do that, and the guy getting the ball doesn't matter as much as the system/design/determination to run the ball.

He's always going to be 'pass happy' - that's correct. It's a passing league and unless you have a dominant defense it's passing that wins games imho. That's not minimizing the ground game, but most teams desire a strong running game because it improves the passing game.

Next man up is right. Btw - I think Kelley is a pretty good RB. People forget his 2016 production. If he hadn't been splitting time in the Matt Jones experiment, he'd easily have been 1000 yd rusher. I'm not saying he's Guice, but he's a helluva hard runner. Hoping CT is healthy as between the two of them we will be fine.

True. And, it's more comforting, to continue the pass-happy trend, with a QB that has had more success doing it under the bright lights.

True. And, it's more comforting, to continue the pass-happy trend, with a QB that has had more success doing it under the bright lights.

I don't care if we're 'pass happy' if we score TDs in the red zone. Gibbs had some pretty pass happy years over the course of his career. Here are the %'s of passing plays during Gruden's tenure:

2014: 60%
2015: 59%
2016: 63%
2017: 59%

The only year we were in the top half of pass heavy teams in the league was in 2016. I wish I had the numbers for the Gibbs years. I'm sure they are lower, but I'm betting not as much as we might want to believe.

I don't care if we're 'pass happy' if we score TDs in the red zone. Gibbs had some pretty pass happy years over the course of his career. Here are the %'s of passing plays during Gruden's tenure:

2014: 60%
2015: 59%
2016: 63%
2017: 59%

The only year we were in the top half of pass heavy teams in the league was in 2016. I wish I had the numbers for the Gibbs years. I'm sure they are lower, but I'm betting not as much as we might want to believe.

You can be pass happy all you want, but at the end of the game if you cannot get the run game going to chew time off the clock, you will not see success...especially with a defense that needs a break.. There comes that time when running the ball is a must, and you need to line up against the guys in front of you and get it done to win...or you won't have long term success. That's been a killer for this team for almost 10 years now.

But Gibbs teams were always based on the run. It was always a priority for the opposition to concentrate on.
He demanded more out the run game. Of course, he did have the Hogs.

But he didn't just run his mouth about wanting to run the ball, consistently. His teams did it.
If they pissed him off bad enough, he'd take them to a place like Cincinnati and hand the ball off 45 times to one guy. Just to prove a point.

Gruden talks the talk. He only chews gum.

Gibbs walked the walk. He could walk AND chew gum at the same time.

But Gibbs teams were always based on the run. It was always a priority for the opposition to concentrate on.
He demanded more out the run game. Of course, he did have the Hogs.

But he didn't just run his mouth about wanting to run the ball, consistently. His teams did it.
If they pissed him off bad enough, he'd take them to a place like Cincinnati and hand the ball off 45 times to one guy. Just to prove a point.

Gruden talks the talk. He only chews gum.

Gibbs walked the walk. He could walk AND chew gum at the same time.

Totally different era. Gibbs also had John Riggins, George Rogers, Ernest Byner, Joe Washington, etc...

I did look at the #'s for Gibbs II - he only had one season of his 4 (his last in 2007) where he passed more than 50% of the time.

I'm not arguing Gruden shouldn't run more. But he's smack dab in the middle of league stats. He's hardly 'pass happy' by today's NFL standards. To argue he is just isn't accurate.

I'm not arguing Gruden shouldn't run more. But he's smack dab in the middle of league stats. He's hardly 'pass happy' by today's NFL standards. To argue he is just isn't accurate.

According to the stats I just looked at on NFL.com there were only 7 teams more than us who threw the ball more than they ran it. In 2017 according to NFL.com we threw 64.3% of the time. I can live with that, if we can run it at the end of the game to churn off clock.

Unfortunately, Gruen's teams aren't built this way, and over the course of 5 years into his tenure doesn't look like it's going to change. Our OL can pass protect very well, but they aren't built to grind. Whether you or the NFL want to acknowledge the pass happy nature of the NFL as a standard, the teams who are capable of churning off the clock to end a game, are generally the ones to win. Look at the most successful teams in the league.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.