• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/5/18: Trent Williams

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
August 5, 2018

T Trent Williams

On the status of his knee injury:
"It felt great being back out there, finally feeling like I'm part of the team again. But, the knee is fine, you know, it's going to continue to progress and, you know, just keep eye on the workload, but you know, still trying to get ready for the season, you know, game one."

On the extent of what he can do with his knee:
"I think the strength and the stability is there it's just the workload. You know, not playing football, not pushing on guys for a long time, you just got to see how it reacts. You know it's just more being cautious than anything."

On if there is a difference in the team and media contrast to previous years:
"To be honest, I haven't picked up on the lack of stories, but, you know, every year it's a different team. There is a different vibe in the building. We've got a lot of new faces. We got a, you know - we added a lot of talent to the core nucleus of this team, so, yeah, there definitely is a different vibe."

On putting more emphasis on short yardage in practice:
"You probably have to ask (head coach) Jay [Gruden] that, but you know it was something we needed, added a different type of competition in practice, you know going full-go. So, we rally every down in the past, so, you know, it did liven the day up a little bit."

On improving in the red zone:
"Yeah, like I said we ran a lot of short yard situations that we wish we could have back from last year. So, it's definitely one of the things we're going to focus on going into the season. But, you know, just the red zone in general we had to be better down there. You know, injuries played a huge part but you can't make an excuse everybody is dealing with injuries."

On Assistant Head Coach and Offensive Linemen Coach Bill Callahan:
"He's meant everything to me. I've been blessed to have two good offensive line coaches in the NFL, and you know, Coach Callahan kind of came and gave me a little kick start. He brought a whole different, new perspective to the game. From my eyes, he added a lot of tools in my toolbox. He's a grinder. I respect his grind, I respect him as a coach, I respect how much time he put in. I think that goes for everybody in the room. That's why you see him being able to develop people so quickly because they trust him."

On if there are risks coming back from a knee injury:
"Yeah, of course it is. I'd be lying to say it's not but it's the nature of the beast. You know, the mental part of it is one of the hardest things to get over, but you know, I'm prepared. I got strong mentality. I [can] get through it."

On what he wants to see in the first pre-season game:
"Oh you want to see, you know – compete - see them [Washington Redskins] compete. See everybody a hundred percent effort. You know, just set the tone, set the tone for the season. A lot of these guys are going to be putting on a Redskins uniform for the first time. You know, that in itself is a sight to see, you get to see people fulfill their childhood dreams. But, you know other than that, just to see them you know attack it. Be able to hit another color jersey for once."

On if Callahan gives him a new perspective of the game:
"Yeah he definitely leaned on us. He always kind of puts that on our plate to help bring the young guys along. He has so much he covers; it's hard for him to spend a lot of time on one person. So, you know the veterans are there to help deliver his message. But to answer your question, Coach Callahan breaks the game down to a science. That's something that I've never done before. I kind of just line up, knew my man, knew my assignment and played. But, he brings an overall understanding to the game and he [improves] your football IQ. He definitely did mine. So like I said, he gave me the kick start that I needed."

On what has stuck out at camp:
"I'm still knocking the rust off. I don't feel like I'm back to being me. But, you know every day is getting better, every day my eyes are starting to adapt to guys moving one hundred miles an hour. So, yeah, I don't know if there's anything, you know, left other than just getting more reps."

On LB Pete Robertson:
"Yeah Pete has been doing an outstanding job. I think he came back ready he knows what to expect this year. You can tell he studied his playbook, man, [and] he is always diagnosing the offense, he already has a good grasps of the defense. He puts himself in good positions and you know he knows how to pass rush. In this league, it's hard to teach a pass rusher. He has that innate ability to put pressure on the quarterback and I think everybody is starting to notice around him."

On his admiration of other veterans in the league:
"Yeah of course you notice them, there your teammates, but I got admiration for anybody in this game. You know who gets to this level whether you're a star; it takes an incredible amount of focus and hard work to be able to perform at a high level consistently. And it takes an incredible amount of focus to go from one team to the next, pick up the playbook, you know, in a month or so and be able to compete at a high level. So, I mean at every facet of the game, the people who make it to this level there's something that you can admire about the process."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to see Williams is progressing with some caution ahead of a 16 game season.

He's right, though. The past two drafts the Redskins have done a good job of bringing talent in the door and will start to show up on the field during the regular season.

3 years ago the club didn't have ONE capable defensive lineman under 30 and had 34/35 year old safeties that were washed up.

Now we have 3-4 guys on the DL that are young and have real upside. At safety we have a young veteran starter with a #4 draft pick in Nicholson that looks to be an emerging player at FS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.