• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/4/18: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
August 4, 2018

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On DL Daron Payne update:
"It's been about a week. We said about two to three weeks."

On if Payne is still wearing a boot:
"No, he's out of the boot. He's doing great."

On WR Josh Doctson heel draining:
"I don't think I've ever heard of a heel being drained. So, I don't know where that came from. That is not true, but he's going to do a little something out here today. We'll see. I'd be surprised if he went full-go, but he did not have his heel drained. He just got it stepped on. No, he's fine."
Gruden: "Heel drained. Who reported that by the way?"
Tandler: "Brian Mitchell"
Gruden: "Did he? Oh, I got to give him a hard time on that one."

On if RB Chris Thompson will play in the preseason game against the New England Patriots:
"Yeah, we're gonna talk about that after today's practice. Tomorrow morning we're gonna have a staff meeting and go over playing time for the game Thursday so we can start getting the guys ready who are gonna play. So yeah, we haven't decided that yet. Chris Thompson, I would probably say as we stand here today will not play."

On DB Kenny Ladler's experience in the Canadian Football League:
"I'm a firm believer that playing football is better than not playing football. So, it's the only opportunity that presented itself for him. He took advantage of it, got himself some football on tape, our guys saw him, and brought him in for a workout, and he had a good workout. So, I think any experience is great experience really. I mean, the coverages are different. They have 12 guys on a field, lot more to it, but, you know, quite frankly I think he's done a good job."

On the new helmet rule:
"Yeah I don't know. I'm waiting to get the rule myself written down. I'm waiting to have the referees come here and you know it's scary quite frankly. You know, I know that we're trying to protect the player, take the head out of the game, we understand that, but you do eventually have to make a tackle somehow and these guys are in some unique awkward positions from time to time, everything is not a perfectly formed tackle. Sometimes you're going to be out of position and you know I just hope these penalties don't cost people games and whatever but we're also trying to keep guys safe, I understand that, but we just need a clear cut rule defined, help so everybody understands what's going on."

On managing the intensity level of training camp:
"Yeah that's about right. You know I try to script for our first four days of training camp. That was done before we got here, before the summer break. Then on our day off I try to script the next three, and then - but a lot of it is dependent on who we have. You know sometimes I have to taper off certain personnel groups because we have injuries. There was one day we had three outside backers that couldn't practice. We had to do all sub stuff for offense. So unfortunately, you can't predict injuries and who is going to be out, so you have to adjust your schedule accordingly. You know, it's not always as easy as, okay let's do this period, this period, this period, this period. Sometimes you have to adjust and we've had to do that because of our offensive lineman issues, our receiver issues, our outside backer issues. Zach Brown was hurt one day and as was Mason [Foster] was dinged up so we had to, you know, taper off just a little bit."

On Fan Appreciation Day:
“I think it'll be fun for the fans to get a look at the team for the first time and it'll be fun for the players to get out there. I just hope they're not to amped up and start, you know, all that crazy trash talking and then, someone gets in a push and shove match, that's what I'm trying to guard against. But, it'll be fun, it'll be high energy I'm sure, and we have a couple of live sessions today, it'll be kind of fun, some goal line short yardage, which should be fun. I'm sure the players will enjoy that, you know. The best three out of five short yardage, the best three out of five goal lines, so then we'll get them juiced up in the last live sessions there at the end too so, it'll be a good practice. We'll get some tackling in here and see what happens. But, it's awesome [to have] the fans come out here, we're very appreciative of our stay here in Richmond. They have been great to us. Bon Secours has been excellent to us, the Omni has been great so, it's a first-class organization here and we're happy to be part of it."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.