• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2018 HOF Class et al

DudeRedskin

The UDFA
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Howdy gang!

Can't believe there's no thread about this...or pehaps it has already been discussed ad infinitum and I missed it as usual lol. Real quick shout out to the greatest GM to ever run an FO IMHO, Mr. Bobby Beathard, San Diego surfer boy turned talent wizard par excellence. Oh, and I hope they put Ray Lewis' bust next to OJ's, so if they all really DO talk to each other at night those two can discuss the various techniques and merits of killing people with edged weapons.

Finally, as I watch this game and see how the zebras are calling it per the new cruelty, I am forced to admit that the sport I have always cherished far more than any other is well and truly dead. Hey Goodell, let's cut to the chase, shall we? Just put flags on the players' hips so no one ever gets another hit again. And it would be nice if after each season every team gets a mini-Lombardi participation troohy.

Jesus Christ. This is getting ridonkulous.

All my best to the usual ruffians here. You know who you are...

Howdy gang!

Can't believe there's no thread about this...or pehaps it has already been discussed ad infinitum and I missed it as usual lol. Real quick shout out to the greatest GM to ever run an FO IMHO, Mr. Bobby Beathard, San Diego surfer boy turned talent wizard par excellence. Oh, and I hope they put Ray Lewis' bust next to OJ's, so if they all really DO talk to each other at night those two can discuss the various techniques and merits of killing people with edged weapons.

Finally, as I watch this game and see how the zebras are calling it per the new cruelty, I am forced to admit that the sport I have always cherished far more than any other is well and truly dead. Hey Goodell, let's cut to the chase, shall we? Just put flags on the players' hips so no one ever gets another hit again. And it would be nice if after each season every team gets a mini-Lombardi participation troohy.

Jesus Christ. This is getting ridonkulous.

All my best to the usual ruffians here. You know who you are...

I love that Beathard is finally getting the ultimate recognition he deserves. As for Ray Lewis, I think the NFL has no choice but to treat him like any other NFL candidate. From my (admittedly distant) memory, I recall that there were never any allegations made that Lewis himself stabbed anyone. He was, at some point during the legal proceedings, alleged to have punched one of the two who ultimately died of stab wounds, but no one every accused him of contributing directly to the deaths. In Georgia, you can be charged with murder for simply being 'a party' to events that lead to a death, and that's why he was charged with murder. I'm certainly not defending him in any way. His clothing from that night was destroyed and never recovered and he lied to police - I don't think those things are in dispute. I do wonder why a Hall of Fame would elect to ignore those things, but technically no one involved in the incident was ever convicted for the murders.

I didn't watch the game Thursday night. I assume you are referencing the new 'no leading with the helmet' rules? For me, that rule is just another incredibly poorly defined one, similar to 'when is a catch a catch?' rule that has so bedeviled the NFL. I understand that the NFL can't ignore the long-term effects of a violent game given all of the research of CTE that has come to light. But it is hard to comprehend how they are going to take an inherently violent game, one that is hugely popular in large part to its violent basis, without dramatically changing the game. More problematic is how you define which violence is intentional, which is incidental, and be able to referee that fairly. I see an almost unlimited amount of fan frustration with calls coming, when calls made will almost certainly be game-changing and/or arbitrary and subjective. I'm not sure most of us even understand any more which hits are okay and which are not?

I see an almost unlimited amount of fan frustration with calls coming, when calls made will almost certainly be game-changing and/or arbitrary and subjective. I'm not sure most of us even understand any more which hits are okay and which are not?

Many think my disdain for the NFL's product on the field is because of the kneeling for the anthem. I am not a fan of it, but that is not why I chose to almost completely abandon the NFL last year. I watched 1 entire game last year, a few partials and some of the playoffs.

The problem I have with today's NFL is what you say here. And because so many games are left in the hands of the referees instead of play on the field, the subject of corruption will remain when those decisions almost invariably provide the NFL with a more compelling story line. Many times I don't think the refs are intentionally changing a call to directly impact the game, i simply believe being human and all, they cannot help themselves. They do not remain objective. Sometimes, I truly believe Mara is in Goodall's ear, Goddess is in contact with the NY review team, and there are calls that are made to influence a game how the NFL wants. This may sound extreme, but I'm not convinced I'm wrong.

I only watched some of the game last night, enough to see RG3 and see how he'd fare. And to be honest, I was rooting for him, but he is pretty much the same thing he's always been. I think he just needs to bite the bullet and go up to Canada like Johnny Football and succeed in a game more suited to his talent. Anyway, I did not see many calls to suggest the new rule is out of hand. I told myself I would give this season another shot, if I see much of the same thing I saw in the opener with the Skins and the Eagles, last year, and the poor officiating that likely cost us that game, I will turn it off and take my son out on the river.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.