• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

World Cup 2018

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
I haven't had time to binge watch this year as I have the past two World Cups but I am paying attention. I know there are a few other soccer fans here (Elephant, Om, just to name a couple), so I thought I'd start a thread for the biggest sport event in the world. It's a bit of a different experience without the USMNT being involved but still thoroughly enjoyable and a great way to get into a sport that we all know something about but often don't completely understand. The 2010 World Cup in South Africa is the event that jump started my love of the Beautiful Game.

Observations from this year:

- This tournament is wide open right now and could totally see a dark horse lift the trophy. Most of the traditional powers (Brazil, Germany, Argentina, and France) have looked less than convincing so far. Germany was totally out classed by Mexico, Argentina stands on the brink of elimination, Brazil drew with Switzerland and needed extra time to put Costa Rica away, while France has yet to look good even though they have won twice.

- Video Assistant Referee (VAR) is making it's World Cup debut in this tournament and it helping to clean up some of the tradition crap that has put many Americans off of soccer. Just today VAR overturned a penalty that was awarded to Brazil when Neymar put on a show worthy of an Oscar. From the on field official's point of view it was a clear penalty. VAR had a different angle that showed it was a complete act and that the defender did nothing wrong. The call was corrected.

- Iceland, playing in their first ever World Cup and the smallest country to ever get in, is on the brink of advancing out of the group stage after earning a draw with traditional power Argentina in their first game. This is a great story. They are coached by a dentist and a number of the team members hold down second jobs. One team member is using vacation time at his regular job to play in the World Cup for the national team this summer.

Watching Serbia and the Swiss right now thinking what a team the former Yugoslavia would have fielded. Croatia and Serbia have been the 2 best looking teams to me so far, but I have not watched teams like France, Russia, and others play yet. I have watched some of Portugal and Spain's play and still think Croatia could end up winning it all.

I like the Iceland story since I still keep in touch with a former International Student who played on our High School team. Unfortunately, Nigeria took it to them today so an unlikely win against the hottest team in the Cup right now or they will get eliminated.

Watching Serbia and the Swiss right now thinking what a team the former Yugoslavia would have fielded. Croatia and Serbia have been the 2 best looking teams to me so far, but I have not watched teams like France, Russia, and others play yet. I have watched some of Portugal and Spain's play and still think Croatia could end up winning it all.

I like the Iceland story since I still keep in touch with a former International Student who played on our High School team. Unfortunately, Nigeria took it to them today so an unlikely win against the hottest team in the Cup right now or they will get eliminated.

Ands just like that, the Swiss show Serbia what they're made of. Man...Serbia completely dominated that first half.

The Swiss are playing rough this year. Serbs should have a penalty or two off corner kicks after the Swiss turned the box into a WWE ring.

The non-penalty call in the Switz - Serbia game, when two guys were essentially bear-hugging the big Serb (who looks like Gronkowski's bro) in the box, was monumental. They go up 2-1 there, and probably at best Switzerland comes back and ties it. Different group dynamic heading into the third game if they make that call, which I'm still not sure why they chose not to review.

Not just that, but the Serbs missed out on at least 2 opportunities in the first half...should have been at least 2-0, possibly 3-0 going into the half.

Just watched the Swedes get robbed of a penalty kick, and whomever is running the VAR should have seen it and had the referee review it.

The non-penalty call in the Switz - Serbia game, when two guys were essentially bear-hugging the big Serb (who looks like Gronkowski's bro) in the box, was monumental. They go up 2-1 there, and probably at best Switzerland comes back and ties it. Different group dynamic heading into the third game if they make that call, which I'm still not sure why they chose not to review.

Agreed Mark. Happened to Sweden today v Germany too. They should have had a penalty and probably seen Germany go a man down in the first half but both the on field official and VAR missed it.

I perhaps spoke too soon about how VAR was making a positive difference. If I were Swedish tonight I'd be pissed.

Love that final round group games are played simultaneously but it falls flat when two teams know a draw will get them in the knock outs and win won't help them. See the France v Denmark match today.

Meola sounds just like Aikman. It's kinda freaking me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Argentina advance...wow.

I was kinda biting my nails there for Leo.

And just like that, the Germans are eliminated!

And just like that, the Germans are eliminated!

That 4 of last 5 winners eliminated in the Group stage.

Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown!

I am rooting for Serbia right now.

Not me. They started World War I. :)

My son actively cheered against the Germans today because, you know, Nazis.

I think my family has decided to root for Croatia. I'm not sure why but I guess that's ok. I think one of my kids wrote a report on them for school this year or something ...

This is what happens when the US doesn't make it. :D

I think my family has decided to root for Croatia. I'm not sure why but I guess that's ok. I think one of my kids wrote a report on them for school this year or something ...

I am rooting for Croatia, too...just wanted to see another powerhouse go down...just wasn't meant to be.

Croatia and England.

Man, that Croatian team is just loaded. Part of me has watched them and Serbia and thought that this would be the year for the former Yugoslavia if it was still around.

Watch out for Uruguay! Man, they looked good against one of the world's powerhouses.

Germany, Spain, Argentina...all gone before the quarters.

As of now there are only 4 teams who has previously won the WC. No one predicted this and love that about this game.

Spain totally blew it against the Russians. They dominated that game and had more than a few chances to win it late and in extra time. Brutal to lose it on PKs.

I have been let down by England so many times in the past.

It almost seems to draw parallels with my Redskins support...

Anyway, while I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances I'm not going all in yet on England bringing the trophy home just yet.

I will say that this team is the most likeable and fun team we've had in a while, so I'm on board supporting them. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.