• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Defense

So impacting the game early is not as good as late while the offense is supposed to take advantage of early defensive success, I'm lost on this one, sacks only matter in the 4th quarter?

I think it's more of a clutch factor than anything else. They don't ONLY count in the 4th quarter, but they absolutely can have more of an impact if it means stopping an offense from a game winning drive, or preventing a first down and preserving clock for the offense to attempt to take a lead.

My point wasn't originally to downplay Kerrigan, just more of an overall observation.

So cravens int against the giants is more valuable play then kerrigan disrupting all game? Great play isn't dictated by time it's either great or good or not. And I'm just being an antagonist I know your point bro 😁

So cravens int against the giants is more valuable play then kerrigan disrupting all game? Great play isn't dictated by time it's either great or good or not. And I'm just being an antagonist I know your point bro ������

I know, I'm not worried.... but it is a conversation to be had.

A good example is Michael A Taylor for the Nats. He's getting lauded for his play as of late... He's hitting over .300 in recent games and has been on base. I've also watched him come up to the plate 3 times with runners on base, late in the game and strike out. The guy can hit well, but he hits his home runs when we're down 9-0 or up 5-1, and they end up having very little to do with the outcome of the game. There is a level of value of the timeliness of the production, but that doesn't mean there isn't value in overall production.

I guess if I had one "complaint" about Kerrigan, it would be when he gets his sacks. I haven't looked at stats to bear this out, but my gut instinct is that Ryan gets most of his earlier in games ... and not necessarily in those last couple of possessions in a game while protecting a lead or needing a 3rd down stop to give the offense one more shot. Von Miller gets his to close out Super Bowls.

Yes, that's a bit hyperbolic, but it's been my impression of Ryan for a while now. Very solid player and very good pass rusher ... not a great one.

Thinking about it I have to agree. You may be on to something.

I've definitely seen Kerrigan with game-closing or game-winnging sacks.
There was the sack and forced fumble on elusive Carson Wentz, which single-handedly won the Eagles game the year before last.
But I tend to think there were more.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...yan-kerrigan-saves-day-5th-best-redskins-play

No. 5 best play of 2016

Redskins at Eagles Week 14

0:21 left in Q4, Eagles ball at their Redskins 14, 2nd and 10, Redskins leading 27-22

Carson Wentz sacked at WAS 22 for -8 yards (Ryan Kerrigan). FUMBLES (Kerrigan) [Kerrigan], RECOVERED by WAS-Trent Murphy at WAS 27. Murphy to WAS 34 for 7 yards (Ryan Mathews).

Last edited:
Well, that's one. :)

Again, I never said Ryan NEVER got clutch late-game sacks. I'm just saying I don't see him as a true, count-on-him closer on the game's biggest downs in crunch time. And that's only as compared to the game's premier pass-rushers, such as Von Miller. I don't put Ryan in that class, that's all.

It's not a slam, it's an observation.

To be honest, I'm surprised at Kerrigan's sack numbers when you look at what's been put in front of him as far as linemen goes.

Hopefully, that's about to change. :)

Amen.

It should also keep Ryan (and Preston, and anyone else off the edge) fresher so they hopefully CAN come up big late in games, and you're protecting a lead, and you need serious pressure from just the front guys so the full secondary can operate.

Amen.

It should also keep Ryan (and Preston, and anyone else off the edge) fresher so they hopefully CAN come up big late in games, and you're protecting a lead, and you need serious pressure from just the front guys so the full secondary can operate.

And this is why I believe we don't see more of Kerrigan late in games, worn down by double teams...couple that with the injuries he plays through, and it's understandable he seems to disappear in games.

Last edited:
With the three step drop it's the interior rush in today's NFL that is so disruptive.

You really draft and scheme to get the consistent pressure from the DTs and ILB
and that allows the guys on the edge to come around when the qb pulls the ball down and tries to escape the collapsing pocket.

We have those interior players now on defense and that should make all the difference on third down and long passing situations.

In the past teams could double Kerrigan and forget about everyone else.

early comments that Payne is clearly the best D-lineman we have. He's been lined up as a starting DE and been challenging Scherff big time in drills.

More Jay Retweeted Burgundy Blog
Had a member of the Redskins tell me Payne is their best defensive lineman and is giving the OL fits. Hasn't seen a guy challenge Scherff like that in practice. Also mentioned he's starting at DE, not NT like many thought.Jay added,
Burgundy Blog
Verified account
@BurgundyBlog
"Veterans have mentioned the strength that Payne possesses is off the charts… Another mentioned that Payne even looks to be a few weeks ahead of where last year's first-round selection, Jonathan Allen, was heading into training camp." @LakeLewis http://burgundy.blog/DPhype
12:00 PM - 18 Jun 2018

I'm getting geeky.... lol

Jay
@RedskinsCult
Also, heard that the coaches all loved Payne and the FO liked Vita Vea. Wasn't until both were brought in for workouts that everyone was in agreement Payne was clearly better that Vea.

12:13 PM - Jun 18, 2018

Last edited:
Zack Brown is the first training camp injury. Limped off during 11 on 11's, went to trainer's tent, came out with left knee wrapped. Standing on sidelines without helmet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.